• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week in history - Country of Liberia founded by ex-American slaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Thought I would share this since not many people even know about the country, and even fewer know of its relationship to the United States and black America. I remember back when the US was about to land troops on the countries shores, many people didn't even realize why the US cared or should care. Well, this article doesn't answer that particular question but will help some to understand this little 'pocket nation' and its history relative to our own.

An excerpt is here (because its a reasonably long CNN Special Feature), and you can read the rest at the following link:

Complete CNN Special on Liberia

July 26, 1847: Liberia officially founded

By Amy Cox
CNN
Friday, July 23, 2004 Posted: 4:31 PM EDT (2031 GMT)

(CNN) -- Searching for a land of freedom and opportunity, thousands of former slaves left the United States in the 19th century and sailed across the Atlantic to a continent their ancestors had unwillingly left.

Over the decades, freed blacks settled on the west coast of Africa in what is today Liberia. They established a nation on July 26, 1847, and also a relationship with Africans that continues to influence regional politics.

A colony for blacks outside the United States had been proposed several times, beginning in the 1700s, but it was the American Colonization Society's formation in 1817 that provided the impetus to make it a reality.

"[Colonization] was supposed to be sort of a remedy for slavery and racial inequality in the country," said Claude Clegg, author of "The Price of Liberty: African Americans and the Making of Liberia." "Colonization was believed to be a middle ground -- you rid the nation of slavery but also rid the country of African Americans and the whole issue of race altogether."

The Colonization Society attracted a mixed bag of supporters, Clegg said. Anti-slavery Quakers believed blacks would only find true freedom away from the United States; many slaveholders did not want free blacks in the country; and some freed blacks who wished to live in their ancestral homeland supported the group.

Still, many other freed slaves and abolitionists opposed the idea of colonization, believing that those wishing to go to Africa should stay and fight for freedom in the United States.

"Many blacks said: 'We were born here and we have every right to be here as much as any group' and criticized those who wanted to leave," explained Wynfred Russell, who was born in Liberia and teaches classes on African-American and African studies at the University of Minnesota.

Five years after its formation, the American Colonization Society launched its first ship to Liberia, founding a settlement named Monrovia, after U.S. President James Monroe. Over the decades, the number of blacks sailing to Liberia steadily increased. Settlers built schools, churches and roads and formed a government modeled on the United States.

By the 1840s, many European countries had established colonies surrounding Liberia and were pressuring the colony, the American Colonization Society and even the United States to clarify Liberia's role and identity: Could it broker treaties and trade agreements? Could it levy taxes? And could England or France annex the area if it was not claimed by any other country?

In response, Joseph Jenkins Roberts, who had immigrated to Liberia in 1829, publicly declared the colony an independent republic on July 26, 1847, and was elected president the next year. The declaration created the first black-ruled republic in Africa.

But tensions between the settlers and the indigenous people grew within the new nation.

Continued at CNN...

Complete CNN Special on Liberia

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
When my dad was a kid, his older brother got fed up with the family and threatened to leave Jamaica to live in Liberia. Keep in mind he was about 8 years old at the time. He got as far as half a county over before my grandfather brought him back and switched his ass but good.

Phoenix

Ripclawe said:
a shame they went back and created almost the same society they were escaping just with the native people.

Yeah, that is interesting. They liked the government model and I can see why they would do that as opposed to trying to fabricate a system of government themselves. Its very unfortunate that they couldn't keep things going. Who knows how long this country will take to stabilize.

lordmrw

Kind of ironic that this popped up as I was explaining it to someone at work when he found out I am Liberian.

Phoenix

Tell us what you can about Liberia. I've always been curious about the country and what's going on there.

Doth Togo

The winner is you.

132803.jpg

lordmrw

Its pretty much the same as america. We have alot of the same stuff as here in america, and at the same time there are some parts that absolutely dirt poor. The exchange rate is inhumanly high: I forgot how much, but its something to the tune of $50 US comes out to a few thousand there. That is why alot of tourists get attacked; most people assume that if you live in america, then you must have money. English is pretty much almost the national language, the one thing that gets most people is the accent. To someone like me whose used to hearing it all the time, I have no trouble understanding them when they speak. Thats why sometimes I have to remember that when most people can't understand those of us that still have a heavy accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom