• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of overlooked PC indie games recommendation

JEKKI

Im visiting my parents and I have no games and Im bored...

so Ima play Eversion! which I heard is good game!!

but is there a difference between the free version and the steam version??

why is one free and the other one not free??

Salsa

Added A Game with a Kitty 2: Darkside Adventures to the platformers in OP. Just finished it and its great.

I really need to update this a bit more, been kinda busy but i'll get to it.

Salsa

Im gonna bump this since youre all currently high on indie games because of the steam sales :p

i figure you should learn about more of them!

Salsa

Snuggler said:
What the shit, how did Salsa get banned?

noooo

man i can hear you yawn from here, you fake

Anyways i lost my And yet it moves save so im about to start all over again, sigh. Ive also been playing a lot of Super Crate Box between the insane Super Meat Boy sessions (cant wait for the level editor, damn).

I really need to update this thing but i guess im just really lazy these days, feel free to keep recommending stuff.

Any news on Orioto's game btw ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
man i can hear you yawn from here, you fake

I wrote an angry letter to the staff demanding that they let you back in

actually, that's how you got unbanned so you should be thanking me...

Anyways, I'm finally getting a gaming capable PC soon so I will put this thread to use!

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Anyways, I'm finally getting a gaming capable PC soon so I will put this thread to use!

You better, since you could already run most of these games from your laptop.

And out of the blue im gonna say this: start with Ben there, Dan that. Something tells me youre gonna love it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
You better, since you could already run most of these games from your laptop.

And out of the blue im gonna say this: start with Ben there, Dan that. Something tells me youre gonna love it.

Oh, I know I will.

Most of these games probably have very low requirements, but I ran a test on that one website and it said I was barely over the minimum requirements to run Super Meat Boy on my laptop. It's weak shit.

So yeah, it's best I wait a month before I get too invested in this stuff. I've got a whole new world ahead of me, though...

mantidor

So is AudioSurf, Beat Hazzard etc, not considered indie? because they are pretty damn awesome and a genre of their own, they are certainly my favorite kind of games.

Salsa

mantidor said:
So is AudioSurf, Beat Hazzard etc, not considered indie? because they are pretty damn awesome and a genre of their own, they are certainly my favorite kind of games.

I gotta admit i wasnt aware of how good AudioSurf was until this last Steam sale and now i totally love it. Dont know about Beat Hazzard but ive only heard good things as well.

Snuggler said:
I've got a whole new world ahead of me, though...

you have no idea

Catshade

I'll repost this from the digital distribution deals thread: if you like Advance Wars on GBA/DS, Gamersgate has this similar indie game (you can even call it a clone) called Mecho Wars. It's currently on 80% off sale (99 cents), so worth it to try. I also heard that this is ported from iPhone, so probably you can get the game there too.

182342_mw_pc6_medium.jpg

182352_mw_pc7_medium.jpg

Salsa

Catshade said:
I'll repost this from the digital distribution deals thread: if you like Advance Wars on GBA/DS, Gamersgate has this similar indie game (you can even call it a clone) called Mecho Wars. It's currently on 80% off sale (99 cents), so worth it to try. I also heard that this is ported from iPhone, so probably you can get the game there too.

http://www.gamersgate.com/img/screenshots/DDB-MW/182342_mw_pc6_medium.jpg[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://www.gamersgate.com/img/screenshots/DDB-MW/182352_mw_pc7_medium.jpg[/ IMG][/QUOTE]

This is also available for DSiWare and as a PSP mini if im not mistaken.

Corto

Salsa banned... again? Is it a joke tag as Drinky and Wario?

And just to leave a contribute to this awesome thread I'll post Desktop Dungeons.

A fast paced Rogue-like/dungeon crawler that is meant to be played in short game sessions of 10-15 minutes.

screens_0_14b.png

screens_0_14c.png

Various classes of heroes, many spells/runes to use, and many new races/classes challenges to unlock giving this game great replayability. On top of it all, it has online leaderboards...

http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20

...and it's free.

peakish

Corto said:
Salsa banned... again? Is it a joke tag as Drinky and Wario?

And just to leave a contribute to this awesome thread I'll post Desktop Dungeons.

A fast paced Rogue-like/dungeon crawler that is meant to be played in short game sessions of 10-15 minutes.

Various classes of heroes, many spells/runes to use, and many new races/classes challenges to unlock giving this game great replayability. On top of it all, it has online leaderboards...

http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20

...and it's free.
Looks cool, I'll try it later. Great concept.

taoofjord

I wanted to recommend Drillboid. Think Roguelike digging version of Super Metroid. It's still quite early but you can play it for free. There is a TON of content on its way to really round out its roguelike-ness. :)

It's also made by a couple of the developers that are working on Cortex Command, another fantastic pc indie game.

And what a shame this thread is so overlooked. There's a ridiculous amount of quality stuff in the OT. Try these games people!

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
RickA238 said:
This game definitely needs more Saira.

(...)

One of the best indie games I've ever played. No one seems to know or care about it for some crazy reason. Do yourself a favor and check this game out.

Yeah, I bought it from directly on release and really enjoyed it. I especially liked the planet with the programming puzzles where you had to program the right route. The game is a puzzle-game and a platformer, but not really a puzzle platformer as the two activities are strictly separated from each other. I think I may have an extra key lying around if anybody is truly interested in playing it (not for the Steam version).

Some of my favourites that haven't been mentioned (unless I missed them, of course) are SpaceChem, Tidalis, Knights of the Chalice, and Rush.

SpaceChem

oEW6Jl.jpg

Developer: Zachtronics Industries

This is a puzzle game about chemistry in the future. Which means that it has hardly anything do to with actual chemistry and more with programming. In every level you get some input and have to construct molecules out of that input by designing processes. These processes have to be pieced together by using a set of instructions that grows throughout the game, and lets you bind, turn the structures, synchronize etc. The game can get really difficult, but it is incredibly satisfying to solve a problem (and by "incredibly" I mean that this game has no equal. It's that good) , and the game offers many hours of content. The excellent music, decent story, Youtube upload feature and endless possibilities of refining your solutions are just icing.

Download the lenghty demo here

Buy the game here (it's also available on Steam for the same price, but the key that you get from the developer can also be entered into Steam.)

Tidalis

ohOLXl.jpg

Developer: Arcen Games

At first sight, you might be inclined to think that you have seen this game before. That this is just your average connect-four casual game. And that from the guys who made AI War: Fleet Command, which is one of the most expansive RTS's ever to hit the planet. They didn't sell their souls to the devil, however. First of all, the game has an original mechanic. Instead of lining blocks up, almost every block has an arrow on it whose direction can be changed. Once you click on that block a stream is send out that travels for a set amount in the direction that the arrow was pointing in. If the stream hits a block of the same colour it will then follow the direction of the arrow on that one etc. If enough blocks have been caught in the stream, they will be destroyed and the blocks above them will fall down, automatically creating their own streams. What's more, you can still change the direction of blocks while this is happening, so that you can create enormous combo's on the go if you'r agile enough.

This is the basis of the game, but there is so much more to it. For example, there are all kinds of blocks that hamper you and need to be dealt with in different ways. There are modifiers that completely change the game, such as gravitation, which pulls your streams down so that they arc, and these modifications can be freely combined to create new modes. There is a singleplayer campaign that introduces each of these elements. There is a puzzle mode, co-op, versus, and the ability to change everything, from the appearance of the blocks to the background. This is one of the most complete highscore puzzlers out there, and its core mechanic is smart and puts players in control at all times, which eliminates the need to heavily rely on chance as is the case in many other games of the same type.

Try the demo here.

Buy the game from the developer (no DRM) or Steam

Rush

D5xSFl.jpg

Developer: Two Tribes.

Rush is a puzzle game from the developers behind Toki Tori. Previously released as Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: Rush for WiiWare, it found its way to Steam last year (despite the shorter name, it's still the same game with some additional puzzles that can be downloaded for free). The object of the game is to guide streams of coloured cubes to their exit. Left to their own devices, these cubes will march on without a care in the world until they reach a wall, at which point they will turn right and continue on their merry way, or until they reach the end of the level, where they will plunge down into oblivion. Oh, running into other cubes is bad as well. Taking this basic behaviour in mind, players need to make use of the limited set of signs (arrow signs, split signs, slow signs) tin the planning phase and make sure that the cute little cubes reach their destination unharmed. While it doesn't have as much content as Toki Tori, this is another quality puzzle game from Two Tribes, and there are still enough puzzles to rack your brains on.

Download the demo here

Buy the game on Steam

Knights of the Chalice

VNxlHl.jpg

Developer: HeroicFantasyGames.com

A party-based RPG with a ruleset that is closely related to D&D. This game is not about the story, the presentation or interactions with your characters. No, the main course (and practically the only course, who needs appetizers) is the combat. It's incredibly hard, at times unfair and you will die a lot, but this challenge is what makes it so interesting. It's also completely turn-based, has AI that actually seems to have a sense of awareness of the situation instead of rushing mindlessly into battle and most importantly: fire spells can be used to burn web away. How awesome is that?

Buy the game here

Download the game here

======

Also, some future pc indies to keep an eye on:

Frozen Synapse
Turn-based combat where the turns of both you and the opponent play out at the same time. Short games, an excellent feature set and it enables you to make elaborate plans and test them out.

Marian
A new game from one of the two developers behind Aquaria (not the one that went on to make Spelunky). You control the puppet Marian by manipulating her strings. There isn't much more that can be said about this game except that it recently switched from 3D to 2D and that the quality of Aquaria is enough to inspire confidence.

Subversion
The newest game from Introversion that has you pulling of heists using a team of skilled professionals.

Monaco: What's Yours is Mine
Like Subversion, this game is all about heists, but unlike Subversion, it's about hectic co-op again with class-based characters.

Primal Carnage
Asymmetric (multiplayer) shooter with humans fighting DINOSAURS.

Snapshot
A puzzle platformer that has you use a camera to make shots of objects in the environment (including yourself) to get past obstacles.

Skulls of the Shogun
Turn-based strategy with undead samurai.

Capsized
Exploration of a hostile planet with your trusty jetpack, grappling hook and wide assortment of weapons.

Jamestown
A top-down shooter for 1-4 players. Watch that trailer!

No Time To Explain
I'm you from the future, there is no time to explain, so this short explanation from the site has to suffice: "No Time To Explain is an indie platformer game about ribs in people's eyes, big guns and giant enemy crabs." Trailer!

Nidhogg
A multiplayer game where you try to move from screen to screen. You have a sword in hand which can be hold high, level or low or can be thrown and you have the ability to jump and slide. It's the same for your opponent and what follows is aguessing game in which you have to make snapshot decisions. Once dead you will quickly respawn so that there is no respite for either you or your opponent.

A Valley Without Wind
An RPG from Arcen, the folks behind Tidalis and AI War. Still in early development, but the ambition to make something great is there.

The Dream Machine episodes 3-5
Because episodes 1 and 2 of this point-and-click adventure that uses clay and cardboard to present its world and characters were good enough to crave for more. (maybe I should have added this one to my earlier list as there's hardly any attention for the game)

Six gun Saga
Because: Solium Infernum.

Dead State
An ambitious zombie-apocalypse RPG. Give me more zombies, I'm not tired of them. In fact, most of the games involving them are so different from each other that there is still more room for more. (You don't believe me? Some examples: Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Atom Zombie Smasher (another candidate for my list at the top), Dead Nation, Resident Evil, Plants vs. Zombies, Killing Floor. If anything, we should have more games with zombies, considering the quality of these titles)

The Age of Decadence
Because we need more studios working on western RPGs with deep mechanics instead of the watered down soup that big studios are forcing down our throats. *shakes fist*

The Spire
Force powers and physics puzzles. Count me in.

Prominence
A sci-fi adventure game. I want it to be good and by the force of my will, so it shall be. Hopefully.

Grim Dawn
A hack-and-slash game made by a group of people who were part of the now defunct Titan Quest developer Iron Lore. I'm hoping for a bright new dawn here.

Man, I'm the dude behind the group that brought Recettear to the States and even I dunno if we can qualify as "overlooked". :V I mean we got honorable mentioned in the IGF and all.

Anyway, having tried it at the IGF, I can confirm that Nighogg is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see it get released.

Salsa

SpaceDrake said:
Man, I'm the dude behind the group that brought Recettear to the States and even I dunno if we can qualify as "overlooked". :V I mean we got honorable mentioned in the IGF and all.

Anyway, having tried it at the IGF, I can confirm that Nighogg is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see it get released.

Heh, i was actually planning on updating this thread, long overdue.

I put you guys there cause of gaffers requests, Recettear certainly did very good! rightfully so.

What a cracking thread :)

I've played a number of games in the OP and subsequent posts and really fancy picking up Eschalon 1 and 2 given the praise they've had, along maybe with the Geneforge games. Just a quick question though- how long are they and the Geneforge series?

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Two other games that I forgot to mention in my other post, but that deserve at least a little bit of attention:

Magi

E7RjEl.jpg

The game isn't much of a looker, but it's all about the combat here. Select your mage type and face off against other mages to increase your strength in a bid to defeat Death and gain immortality. There's stat development between levels and every mage has its own set of three unique spells that they can use once during combat. Normal spells are shared by all (provided that you unlocked them) and are ranked by strength. To cast spells you first need to open channels of that particular spell type (summon, defence, offence or curse), which leaves you vulnerable. Cast shield and summons to project yourself while hammering away at the enemy's defences with your fireballs.

Play the demo and buy the full version here

Alchemia

lke4Il.jpg

Developer: Springtail Studio

You only have to look at it for a couple of seconds to know that this game was heavily inspired by Samorost. Decent puzzles, nice music and a surreal world. It has both a free version and an extended version, which also received a retail release.

Play and buy the game here.

=============================

Also, two future games to look out for:

The Tiny Bang Story:

l8WMql.jpg

Hand-drawn puzzle adventure. It's all about the puzzles and mini-games. Should see a release in April. The game will also get a retail release by the same publisher that brought Machinarium to stores.

Trailer

Arcmagi:

4icqQl.jpg

The sequel to the above-mentioned Magi. One of the main areas of improvement are the graphics, and it will also include more of a story. There's no concrete release date.

Trailer

PokéKong

5574264738_0c0f2ff5ed_z.jpg

The Iconoclasts, a work in progress demo just released, based on the earlier unfinished game Ivory Springs, by the marvelous Joakim Sandberg, creator of the acclaimed Noitu Love 2 and Legend of Princess, and who is inexplicably going under some real hard times right now. How this dude doesn't get job offers from several game studios a day is beyond me. A complete lack of appreciation for real talent I suppose. Uuuuuugghh, here comes the depression...

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Looking at this thread and the official topics, I'm starting to believe that practically every pc exclusive indie is overlooked (or that there is no audience for it here). Sure, there are some exceptions, such as Minecraft, Magicka and Recettear, but these are fairly rare. I mean: look at the length of this thread and at all those games that almost seem to go by unnoticed, without even a decent OT to cover them. They move by unwitnessed.

Anyway, another game that nobody is talking about is

NightSky

Kp12gl.jpg

Developer: Nifflas (Knytt, Saira)

This game had been in development for what seemed like ages. It started out as a Wii-game, got ripped off on iPhone before it was even released, and finally came out on pc with a WiiWare-version still in limbo somewhere. It's a physics platformer with the occasional puzzle in which you control a ball through ten worlds that consist of disjointed parts that consist of three screens of action. Abilities differ per set of screen and sometimes the ball is placed in a vehicle to change things up. There are two difficulty modes, casual and alternative, of which alternative is the original vision. The difference between the two is that the screens on casual contain less obstables and are constructed in such a way that they require less effort from the player, but in the process some of the inventivity required by the player is also lost. It can be balls hard on alternative though, so be prepared. It also has a highly original soundtrack.

Buy the game on Steam or through Nicalis, where you can also download a demo.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PokéKong said:
5574264738_0c0f2ff5ed_z.jpg

The Iconoclasts, a work in progress demo just released, based on the earlier unfinished game Ivory Springs, by the marvelous Joakim Sandberg, creator of the acclaimed Noitu Love 2 and Legend of Princess, and who is inexplicably going under some real hard times right now. How this dude doesn't get job offers from several game studios a day is beyond me. A complete lack of appreciation for real talent I suppose. Uuuuuugghh, here comes the depression...
Yeah, seriously. Go buy Noitu Love 2 now folks, it's really really awesome and the dude isn't a douche. His website now has some information about the situation, he's setting up donation buttons and will try to do smaller games to get the cash for the bigger projects he wants to do, like Iconoclasts. Hopefully it will all work out.

Play The Legend of Princess while you're there too, best Zelda fan game ever.

thebeeks

Banned
PCWOu.jpg

I'd like to recommend Stranded II. If the name Survival Kids means anything to you (all six of you!) you know what this is -- wake up on a deserted island, manage thirst/hunger/exhaustion, get to work making tools and setting up a shelter, etc.

If you never played Survival Kids, you'll probably find this kind of similar to Minecraft, minus the digging and terraforming.

Elixist

Amazing thread is amazing, I've played and enjoyed alot of these, but theres still a ton more that I havent that I need to check out! tytytytytyty :O

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Atom Zombie Smasher

kmh3ml.jpg

Developer: Blendo Games (Flotilla)

"Dear God, NO! Not another game about zombies," I can hear you think. Push these blasphemous thoughts away for a moment and pay attention. Because AZS does not fit the mold (not that there is one for zombie games, but that is an entirely separate discussion).

A fictional country is under attack by zombies and it's up to you to take command and save as many civilians as possible while killing as many zombies as possible. Missions are selected from a world map and have you looking down on cities from far above, placing mercenaries, explosives, blockades and distractions while bombarding the zombies with your explosive arsenal. While you progress through the campaign the zombie threat will increase, adding new challenges. It's a frantic game where you have to try to make do with what you get as almost everything in the game is random. From which mercenaries you get first and take with you on a mission to modifiers that change the behaviour of zombies, practically everything is randomised.

I think that the zombie-theme may have done the game more harm than good, but even those who are sick and tired of moaning corpses in their games should try it as the concept is fresh and doesn't have you shooting zombies in the face.

Buy the game on Steam or through the developer's website. Both also have a demo.

about Iconoclasts, is the game crashing for anyone else? after I open the door in the area two maps to the right of the save point, I try to go back and save, but the game keeps closing out when I try to go back

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's about time I start digging into some of these games. I see you mentioned Recettear, good job, I've been enjoying the hell out of it lately. I hope to find something similar to that (sim/rpg style game).

Salsa

Love to see this thread getting updated. You are really saving me the trouble :p

and i LOVE suteF, great recommendation.

ChryZ

SalsaShark said:
Love to see this thread getting updated. You are really saving me the trouble :p

and i LOVE suteF, great recommendation.
You're welcome. I love suteF too, such a neat game.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I tried my hand at Sutef yesterday and will probably return to it in the near future. Quite enjoyable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dream Machine (episodic)

oFzu0l.jpg

Developer: Cockroach Inc.

The Dream Machine is a classic point-and-click adventure game, but the major twist is that the graphics were made using cardboard and clay. The story revolves around a couple that has just moved into their new apartment. Of course, strange events occur and it's up to the player to unravel the story behind the landlord and the titular Dream Machine. It begins rather mundane, but from episode 2 onwards the locations become pretty exotic. As for now, only episodes 1 (free) and 2 are available with three more episodes following later this year if everything goes according to plan.

Try the first episode for free or buy the game on the game's website.

Primate Ryan said:
That's what demos are for. :D

yyyyeah I'm not one to bother with demos too often.

In any case this game is quite good so long as you don't roll ranger. You can't hold a torch and bow at the same time, and 80% of your fighting is in the dark, so that pretty much kills the ranger class.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Gemini Rue

HENcJl.jpg

Developer: Joshua Nuernberger

A point-and-click adventure with a setting that is reminiscent of Bladerunner and is a nice throwback to the nineties. The story follows two separate characters: detective Azriel Odin, who arrives on the rainy planet Barracus to save his brother from the Boryokudan, and Delta 6, who finds himself locked in a high-tech detention facility and has no memory of previous events. The puzzles in this game are quite easy, but they rely on logic (and a small bit of pixelhunting) and don't feel contrived.

Try the demo or buy the game from Wadjet Eye Games.

Top Bottom