• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney, fix your fucking garbage engine stutters

Buggy Loop

Edit. yes Tim Sweeney aka Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes

Tidbits about an interview with HiFi rush developer that reveals something interesting. First the game is known for being butter smooth and no stutters on UE4 (gasp). So why so many games can't? Even the ones the compile shaders still fuck it up?

Its old but I totally missed this tidbit. :

"Hi-Fi Rush uses Unreal Engine 4’s PSO Caching functionality to avoid large hitches," Tanaka wrote. "UE4 misses some cases such as certain lighting shader combinations, computer shaders, Niagara VFX, and these may still cause hitches. In Hi-Fi Rush, some hitches remain, but they are mostly during certain cutscene transitions that don’t affect gameplay. In another one of our UE4 titles, Ghostwire: Tokyo, we currently preload problematic assets in the title screen background to minimize hitching and try to provide a better gamer experience."

"UE4 misses some cases such as certain lighting shader combinations, computer shaders, Niagara VFX, and these may still cause hitches.

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

When there's a problem in a graphic engine, always someone who fills the gap and makes money right?

Right

Features:

• Automatically finds all Materials
  • Automatically finds all Niagara Systems
  • Loading screen that shows compilation progress

9f1hHuW.jpg

Are you kidding me? How many goddamn engineers at Epic does it take to change a light bulb? How can they let their engine get such a bad rep in performances when fucking outsiders fix it?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Are you kidding me? How many goddamn engineers at Epic does it take to change a light bulb?
Maybe you should have told them versus making a thread about it.

Or, you know, it all depends on the individual studio.

How can they let their engine get such a bad rep in performances when fucking outsiders fix it?
Because you are going to use it anyway, one way or another. That's part of what, their strategy? People are willing to up with it in the same way as people are willing to put up with Unity's idiosyncrazies.

You make this thread acting you are surprised, but you really know that's the reality of it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Robocop uses Unreal Engine 5 and has no stutters. Jedi Survivor was a stutter fest, although it is significantly better now. I'm less inclined to blame the engine and more inclined to blame the developers using it.

I wish more developers would use id tech, although I don't think they share it anymore.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Robocop uses Unreal Engine 5 and has no stutters. Jedi Survivor was a stutter fest, although it is significantly better now. I'm less inclined to blame the engine and more inclined to blame the developers using it.

I wish more developers would use id tech, although I don't think they share it anymore.

Then they should lock a way of doing it permanently, inherent to the engine. When you let these bozo devs do it themselves they fuck it up.

killatopak

I think he should just personally ask the devs who made their game stutterless. Like swallow your pride and just implement whatever it is they’re doing engine wide. Yes, it’s workable but the engine’s reputation is going down due to user error. If the common dev can’t make it work, do the work for them even at a slight performance cost. Want to improve performance? Allow users to revert that option and allow devs to manually fix the stutters. This way there are no stutters universally while competent devs can still flex their abilities.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh here comes Tim's white knight

Toy Story GIF

Speaking sense is "white knighting" now?

Bottom line: even if the PSO caching misses certain combinations, the issues should be caught well in advance of publication by the devs. If not, why not?

Buying an off-the-shelf engine is a short cut, not a complete solution.

HL3.exe

Multiple engines have shader issues. It's not an engine thing, it a API issues and the lack of proper tools for devs to create a common solution.

Vulkan has some solutions with exportable shader caches, so user download the cache via steam without compilation issues. DX12 seems to be the biggest culprit in not having a general solution, letting everything up to the devs

winjer

Gold Member

But Robocop is UE5.3, which has automatic gathering of PSOs.
Jedi Survivor is UE4.27, which has only manual gathering of PSOs. Which the devs didn't do, so the game will have shader compilation stutters.

And let's take into consideration that shader compilation is just one source of stutters in Unreal Engine. There is also a stutters from asset streaming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Devs are licensing an engine, they are still the ones that develop the game. They are incharge of capturing those shaders that need to be compiled. Simply playing the game would do it. Star Wars opens with the biggest stutter of all time. Literally the first frame. There is no way fucking way the developers missed it. They just dont care.

Buggy Loop

?

Remnant 2 don't. Immortals of Aveum don't. Jusant. I don't think is a matter of engine. Just devs don't fuck with pre compilation.

Maybe UE5 fixed things

As winjer winjer said
manual vs automatic gathering of PSOs

But UE4 still crawls out with games nowadays and devs typically screw it up.

Buggy Loop

Oh no another layman who has never touched an engine telling professionals how it's done

We have a thread just for you

In the meantime, I don't need to "make a game" to criticize the dog shit we are being served on PC

Unreal 4 Jedi survivor: The amount of locking/unlocking and kernel calls make it seem like an intern did the port, with no peer review.

Let's not even go into the script kiddies who find problems or fix problems such as the Last of Us using a bugged Oodle version or the constant ultrawide screen support done by just changing an HEX entry.

But go hang in that thread of the Starfield dev who says we can't say shit about them because "difficult"

Last edited:

Lethal01

We have a thread just for you

In the meantime, I don't need to "make a game" to criticize the dog shit we are being served on PC

Unreal 4 Jedi survivor: The amount of locking/unlocking and kernel calls make it seem like an intern did the port, with no peer review.

Let's not even go into the script kiddies who find problems or fix problems such as the Last of Us using a bugged Oodle version or the constant ultrawide screen support done by just changing an HEX entry.

But go hang in that thread of the Starfield dev who says we can't say shit about them because "difficult"

people can tell there is a problem, but that dev is totally right when he says that they rarely have any idea what they are talking about when they try to say what that problem is, whos to blame or how to fix it

Last edited:
Top Bottom