• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME's Person of the Year 2023 is....

Roni

Gold Member
Eh...
Larry David Reaction GIF

winjer

Gold Member
Time also named Adolf Hitler as person of the year in 1938 and Josef Stalin as person of the year in 1939 (and in 1942).

They do know how to choose them.

That is a common misconception of the reasons why Time, at that era choose those people.
It was not to laude them as great people, but to display how dangerous they were.
The article inside was a damnation of Hitler and his politics.

But that was at a time, when Time had real professional journalists.
Today's selection of Taylor Swift is pathetic.

Hudo

That is a common misconception of the reasons why Time, at that era choose those people.
It was not to laude them as great people, but to display how dangerous they were.
The article inside was a damnation of Hitler and his politics.

But that was at a time, when Time had real professional journalists.
Today's selection of Taylor Swift is pathetic.
Fair enough. But my point still stands: These TIME "awards" or "nominations" don't really mean anything. They're just entertainment. So who gives a shit if it's Taylor Swift or whoever.

winjer

Gold Member
Fair enough. But my point still stands: These TIME "awards" or "nominations" don't really mean anything. They're just entertainment. So who gives a shit if it's Taylor Swift or whoever.

They used to matter.
That why why having Hitler as Time's Person of the Year, was so important back then.

But you are right it's just entertainment and mean nothing, but that is a recent thing, due to bad journalistic work.
And having Taylor Swift as Time's Person of the Year, only serve's to reinforce how meaningless this award has become.

pachura

I was sure it would be Elon... maybe Zelenskyy, Biden, Xi Jinping, Netanyahu, hell - even Putin!
Then I saw the cover and thought this must be some kind of a nonbinary virtual avatar generated by AI
But no, it is apparently some very successful pop singer
I must have heard her on the radio, but can't name a single song by her

In all seriousness I feel like she was just shy of actually living up to the title. She had the entire music industry shaken up due to finding a loophole in owning all of her music. Her last move should have been creating her own music label(and using successful artists to promote it), or creating her own streaming/download platform as competition to the bigger industry leaders.

That would have really made a gigantic impact. Instead, she just fixed her own situation and left, making almost all of the music labels realize what just happened and tighten the chokehold on their contracts even further. Now when signing a music contract, no one is allowed to re-record anything after leaving a label, for an insane amount of time…like nearly a person’s entire lifetime in year count.

I’ll have to read up about the good she’s done, but from my limited perspective she kind of made things worse for everyone else in the music industry.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Considering the rest of the entries on the shortlist that includes Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping I don't think her selection is the worst, all things considered. Most of the list is comical or farcical.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Considering the rest of the entries on the shortlist that includes Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping I don't think her selection is the worst, all things considered. Most of the list is comical or farcical.

Keep the masses happy/seduced. Works like a charm ie spell.

I sort of feel like anyone who places value in this particular trophy is highly susceptible to manipulation.
A lot of people ITT are doing just that by being so upset about it. I just consider it a fun means of discussion. I do think however that they should just make this a ‘person of the month’ title so that the public can have more moments to discuss multiple important/popular figures per year.

diffusionx

Gold Member
She recently came to Brazil

One girl died in her show 'cause it was freaking hot (more than 40ºC) and they were selling water for like $15

Taylor then invited all of her family for her next show as VIPs and ... that was it

Truly Time's POTY of 2023
What was she supposed to do? Despite what some of her fans may think, she's not a witch and can't raise the person from the dead.

I really doubt she was the one who set water prices at the stadium.

ReBurn

Gold Member
A lot of people ITT are doing just that by being so upset about it. I just consider it a fun means of discussion. I do think however that they should just make this a ‘person of the month’ title so that the public can have more moments to discuss multiple important/popular figures per year.
I don't see any reason to care about it one way or the other. The award is designed to sell magazine subscriptions. Who wins it ultimately comes down to who will accomplish that goal, and the drama they generate around it feeds the hype. That's why dictators and political prosecutors made the shortlist. It's pandering to the extremes. It's kind of gross.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gaslighting 101

Hugare

What was she supposed to do? Despite what some of her fans may think, she's not a witch and can't raise the person from the dead.

From what I've heard, she didnt even say anything at the time. Only a few days later. Some people got really mad at her due to how she responded to the whole situation.

Dont know whats true tho, didnt bother to search for other info and etc.

Really dont like her music, so I dont have much to say about her

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't think she's that good a musician. She doesn't push the envelope. Her videos are not controversial. She's known for catfights more than anything else.

She's popular, and that's it. Bravo Time magazine..

For some reason lately people have been holding music artists accountable for issues not taking place on stage.

As far as I’ve seen, the venue itself along with venue security should be held accountable for these types of issues. The artist is usually just there to perform, not to assign seats, nor be in charge of temperature control, crowd control, accidents, fights, concessions, and disruptions.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For some reason lately people have been holding music artists accountable for issues not taking place on stage.

As far as I’ve seen, the venue itself along with venue security should be held accountable for these types of issues. The artist is usually just there to perform, not to assign seats, nor be in charge of temperature control, crowd control, accidents, fights, concessions, and disruptions.
It's part of a broader problem with the millenial mindset, where they are literally unable to compartmentalize and see all these things as extensions of themselves.

Gaslighting 101
I’ve never went into a ‘Person of the year’ conversation thinking that it is the most esteemed and respected moniker/title. This is just a magazine written by people with clear bias and/or with clear intention to catch attention. Much like The Game Awards, it can spark fun discussion.

When you have posters above not pleased with this pick and they’re bringing up other figures and modern events due to being disturbed or annoyed by the person on the cover, then I don’t think gaslighting is the right word to use here. I’m literally observing what you’re all typing.

I don't see any reason to care about it one way or the other. The award is designed to sell magazine subscriptions. Who wins it ultimately comes down to who will accomplish that goal, and the drama they generate around it feeds the hype.
You get it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’ve never went into a ‘Person of the year’ conversation thinking that it is the most esteemed and respected moniker/title.
You're still gaslighting. Keep going.

Most are poking fun, making jokes, or *gasp* having a discussion you so mentioned prior.

HoodWinked

Pretty appropriate choice. The person of the year selection isn't necessarily a judgement if the person is bad or good just that they got a shit load of attention. She's really blown up this year with the NFL drama, her tour is raking in millions, even her movie made over $200 million and she also became a billionaire.

The only other things they could have done is Hamas Fighters or Elon. As much as they probably wanted to do the first they would tank subs and as for Elon he was selected already not that long ago. Taylor Swift also a pretty easy cover to sell.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I appreciate Swift is a huge musical artist. Easily the biggest currently. However, I'm not convinced she's person of the year. Time try and justify it, but I'm still not convinced?

But this year, something shifted. To discuss her movements felt like discussing politics or the weather—a language spoken so widely it needed no context. She became the main character of the world.

If you’re skeptical, consider it: How many conversations did you have about Taylor Swift this year? How many times did you see a photo of her while scrolling on your phone? Were you one of the people who made a pilgrimage to a city where she played? Did you buy a ticket to her concert film? Did you double-tap an Instagram post, or laugh at a tweet, or click on a headline about her? Did you find yourself humming “Cruel Summer" while waiting in line at the grocery store? Did a friend confess that they watched clips of the Eras Tour night after night on TikTok?

This was the year she perfected her craft—not just with her music, but in her position as the master storyteller of the modern era. The world, in turn, watched, clicked, cried, danced, sang along, swooned, caravanned to stadiums and movie theaters, let her work soundtrack their lives.

Raven117

I mean, she has been everywhere and has absolutely dominated pop culture....so...yeah....I can see why they chose her.

This isn't a nobel peace prize or anything (those are jokes too but for different reasons).

You're still gaslighting. Keep going.

Most are poking fun, making jokes, or *gasp* having a discussion you so mentioned prior.
They aren’t all jokes, but sure I guess, call it whatever you want. I’ve read worse posts here about me so I guess being called a gaslighter isn’t that far down the list 🤷‍♂️

Since we’re going back and forth though, what are your overall thoughts on Taylor Swift aside from this magazine cover?

gow3isben

I buy it not because she is all that but because everyone else on the planet really sucked this year

Last edited:
Top Bottom