• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME's Person of the Year 2023 is....

Hudo

They used to matter.
That why why having Hitler as Time's Person of the Year, was so important back then.

But you are right it's just entertainment and mean nothing, but that is a recent thing, due to bad journalistic work.
And having Taylor Swift as Time's Person of the Year, only serve's to reinforce how meaningless this award has become.
That's fair. I agree that TIME (and other magazines/newspapers) were much higher quality in terms of their journalistic work.

ahtlas7

Who’s next?
Ariana Grande Applause GIF by The Voice

Billbofet

Time is just doing this to sell their magazine and appeal to younger people and wine moms who didn't get to take their daughters to the concert. Almost any other selection would alienate half the people because it would likely be political, so this makes sense.
It's dumb as hell, but it makes sense.

Reactions: Gp1
Hey look its the person where 80% of my spotify subscription money goes too. Fuck me streaming music need to change how artists get royalty.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is this the start of Taylor Swift's supervillain arc then?

ssringo

I am old enough and out of touch enough to have read this and wondered what Banannarama had to do with it.
Just listened to Bannanarama's original and Ace of Base's cover (the one I heard all the time). Then listened to Taylor Swift's unrelated version and once again find myself wondering why she's so popular.

200.gif

Havoc2049

‘Swiftonomics’: How Taylor Swift is Boosting the Economy

Swift’s performances in July could boost Colorado’s GDP with $140 million in consumer spending. The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia stated that Swift’s tour helped stimulate travel and tourism in the region, making May the strongest month for hotel revenue in the city since the onset of the pandemic.

Chicago’s tourism and conventions bureau announced that the city set a record for occupied hotel rooms in June — nearly 97 percent — thanks in part to the three nights that Swift played at a multi-purpose stadium, Soldier Field. Cincinnati’s economy felt a boost, too, when the singer brought Eras to town. And in Las Vegas, it was Swift’s presence, not gambling, that caused the highest post-pandemic tourism spending.

Fans have been spending more than $1,300 on average on tickets, travel and new outfits for the concert night, according to Fortune. A survey company, QuestionPro, estimated that the Eras tour could generate up to $4.6 billion in consumer spending for the U.S. economy in total.

Sonik

The narcissistic brat that makes pop music for teenage girls whining about her ex boyfriends is person of the year. Journoids have lost their fucking minds

Laieon

As someone who doesn’t really follow pop culture… why? Did she do anything particularly noteworthy?

Put together the highest grossing tour ever by a woman (and second highest overall), on top of releasing an accompanying concert film which became the highest grossing concert film in history* (and became an event itself - the previous record was sitting at just under $100,000,000 for world wide gross, her concert film skyrocketed to $250,000,000+). Studios even moved their releases around to avoid directly competing with it. She also encouraged her followers to register to vote, which resulted in a record number of registrations (115% increase compared to last year) for the organization she was supporting.

*I think Michael Jackson's This is It tour edges it out in some metrics, but others leave it out because it documented the rehearsals, not the (cancelled because he died) concert itself.

Altogether, not too bad for the US economy, as other users have pointed out:

‘Swiftonomics’: How Taylor Swift is Boosting the Economy

Swift’s performances in July could boost Colorado’s GDP with $140 million in consumer spending. The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia stated that Swift’s tour helped stimulate travel and tourism in the region, making May the strongest month for hotel revenue in the city since the onset of the pandemic.

Chicago’s tourism and conventions bureau announced that the city set a record for occupied hotel rooms in June — nearly 97 percent — thanks in part to the three nights that Swift played at a multi-purpose stadium, Soldier Field. Cincinnati’s economy felt a boost, too, when the singer brought Eras to town. And in Las Vegas, it was Swift’s presence, not gambling, that caused the highest post-pandemic tourism spending.

Fans have been spending more than $1,300 on average on tickets, travel and new outfits for the concert night, according to Fortune. A survey company, QuestionPro, estimated that the Eras tour could generate up to $4.6 billion in consumer spending for the U.S. economy in total.

Now, I think there's an argument to be made that that criteria isn't necessarily good enough for a "person of the year" on a global level, but for a national one I can't think of anyone else with nearly the reach she did this year. I'm not into her music at all, but it's hilarious how people on this website act like a woman with power is a nobody.

I actually unironically think ChatGPT (or AI in general) would have been an excellent choice for 2023, and it's not like they haven't set precedence before for "Person of the Year" that isn't a specific person ("You", 2006) or a "Person of the Year" that isn't a person at all ("Earth", 1988, "The Computer", 1982).

Last edited:

FeralEcho

She recently came to Brazil

One girl died in her show 'cause it was freaking hot (more than 40ºC) and they were selling water for like $15

Taylor then invited all of her family for her next show as VIPs and ... that was it

Truly Time's POTY of 2023
Maybe she wanted to kill the rest of them too...

I would have run over and destroyed her stage with a truck if my daughter died because of her show's shit organisation and then she offers me a vip pass on her next show....F you and your show bitch.

Time person of the year my ass. But in the year of the lord's circus 2023 full of clowns It's fitting that she be the face of it I suppose.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
"Trash music, trash journalism.

I'm going back to the basement to write my next smash hit single and check the final draft of my memoir for my publisher."

winjer

Gold Member
Here we go.

LOL, a century later, we are back to the "white (wo)man's burden" concept.
Although the people advocating for it have changed, in a very strange twist of irony.

And for some reason, she expects a pop singer to solve one of the most complex political situations in the world. The lack of intellectual awareness is staggering.

FunkMiller

Here's the same woman voicing a conspiracy that Israel planned the October 7th attacks themselves:

Would be lovely if we could just stop posting things by these racist, nasty, bigoted little cunts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One of the absolute best things she’s ever said. She probably turned a whole load of people away from the church’s misogyny with this. Good on her. Making the world a better place for women.
It's pure hypocrisy like most things on the left when they ignore statistics of what they support (she used to be much more moderate, until she found out her life's work was sold and she's now a pop-slave).

She's is a political tool since she herself admits who owns her. She took the knee like a lot of them did.

TBF she did move to Tennessee in High School just so she could break into music via country and then stab them in the back for her pop career, and she lived in a nicer area East of Nashville. She doesn't know what she's talking about there.
Bingo. The second video is all that's needed, really. Everything those groups are linked to has the very same pattern. Must be a coinkydink, derp.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It's pure hypocrisy like most things on the left when they ignore statistics of what they support (she used to be much more moderate, until she found out her life's work was sold and she's now a pop-slave).

Dude... over in the Israel thread you're (rightly) pointing out and criticising misogyny towards women from the left wing.

...but here you're defending misogyny from the right wing, by blasting Taylor Swift for standing up to it?

Come On What GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Put together the highest grossing tour ever by a woman (and second highest overall), on top of releasing an accompanying concert film which became the highest grossing concert film in history* (and became an event itself - the previous record was sitting at just under $100,000,000 for world wide gross, her concert film skyrocketed to $250,000,000+). Studios even moved their releases around to avoid directly competing with it. She also encouraged her followers to register to vote, which resulted in a record number of registrations (115% increase compared to last year) for the organization she was supporting.

*I think Michael Jackson's This is It tour edges it out in some metrics, but others leave it out because it documented the rehearsals, not the (cancelled because he died) concert itself.

Altogether, not too bad for the US economy, as other users have pointed out:

Now, I think there's an argument to be made that that criteria isn't necessarily good enough for a "person of the year" on a global level, but for a national one I can't think of anyone else with nearly the reach she did this year. I'm not into her music at all, but it's hilarious how people on this website act like a woman with power is a nobody.

I actually unironically think ChatGPT (or AI in general) would have been an excellent choice for 2023, and it's not like they haven't set precedence before for "Person of the Year" that isn't a specific person ("You", 2006) or a "Person of the Year" that isn't a person at all ("Earth", 1988, "The Computer", 1982).
Yeah “The Computer” was exactly what I was thinking of. Just like that was a disruptive new technology that changed the world, so is ChatGPT (or maybe just “AI”).

That’s cool about Taylor Swift but “extraordinarily successful pop music artist” is such a boring choice for a person of the year. Not sure if her gender has anything to do with it. I think most of us would be shitting on it just as much or more so if it were like, Harry Styles or Ed Sheeran. (Except NeoIkaruGAF NeoIkaruGAF , I hear he’s a massive Ed Sheeran fanboy)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude... over in the Israel thread you're (rightly) pointing out and criticising misogyny towards women from the left wing.

...but here you're defending misogyny from the right wing, by blasting Taylor Swift for standing up to it?

Come On What GIF
I don't believe her brand is genuine.

Last edited:

TheMan

Yeah that’s where I’m at. Like I guess there are worse picks and yeah she’s really popular and seems to be a good person. But person of the year, really? POTY can be good or bad, they just have to have an impact. Also it doesn’t have to be a person exactly. So surely there are other candidates who’ve made actually impacts that matter rather than releasing some catchy songs that people like.

Top Bottom