• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today I finally joined the glorious 4K and OLED master race

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
After 11 years with a Panny plasma which I had to sell before moving to a new country and after returning a faulty 4K Philips PUS8887 (shame since I loved the ambilight) a couple of weeks back, I finally said fuck it, I'm gonna spend a "little" bit more (almost twice the price of the Philips šŸ˜) as to see what the fuss is all about, so, I got me an LG 55C26LD).

First impressions :
- Coming from a plasma, I - pretty much - got the same feeling for the first couple of minutes upon unboxing it : blacks are black aaand...the fact that I'm going to babysit it like I did with my plasma šŸ˜.
Got all the burn-in safety features on (they where turned on by default) so I'm just gonna take it easy.
Bonus: this TV literally checks all OCD boxes when it comes to next-gen gaming : 4K@120Hz AND Dolby vision at the same time with no halved vertical res bullshit or having to put it into "monitor mode" like the Philips as to have proper 4K@120Hz (which had to turn some settings off and display visual bugs when trying to achieve that).
New model(s) are going to be out in 4 months but this thing is pretty much future proof which I like.

- I fookin' won the panel lottery since the screen is spot-fookin'-on, no grid, no weird tint (that I can see at least) and the (very noticeable) vertical banding on the right side of the screen that i noticed as soon as I turned the TV on disappeared after doing a manual pixel refresh.
Did the 5% grayscale test and the thing is c-l-e-a-n , I'm very, very satisfied with the panel.
Also, no shitty DSE, vertical banding , clouding, corner(s) vignetting etc etc that still plague LCD/LED TVs , again, very reminiscent of the quality of the plasma technology of yore.

Now, a couple of odd things/things I didn't like :

- the tv does a very audible "CliNckK" sound when I turn it off - is it normal ?

- There was film protection on the screen itself but not on the back, I've been reading that the first thing you gotta do when you get an OLED is removing the film on the back - maybe the C2 models don't have it since the back is now all plastic compared to the CX and C1 ?

- Sound is...not good fellas, I mean it's a TV, still, the sound is weak/tiny, Is there a way to improve it by fiddling with the options ? Which presets do you use for gaming and movies ?

- Anything I should know for proper usage as to not get burn in ? Again, the safety features are all turned to on - which brings me to : the logo dimming thing, should it be set to low or high ?
Not going to use it as a PC "monitor" as i don't want to get blind since my desk's depth is only 70cm long and this is a 55" TV but, in case I want to try it for shits and giggles, I suppose that setting the taskbar on Win11 to auto-hide would do the trick (?).

Finally, I don't know what picture settings to use/how to calibrate it (have it paired to my XSX), care to share your insight/settings and maybe some videos ?
If only the XSX actually had some tRipLE AAA vidjya to show off what the display can do things would have been even better
troll-pilled.gif

Cheers guys & gals

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
After 11 years with a Panny plasma which I had to sell before moving to a new country and after returning a faulty 4K Philips PUS8887 (shame since I loved the ambilight) a couple of weeks back I finally said fuck it, I'm gonna spend a "little" bit more (almost twice the price of the Philips šŸ˜) as to see what the fuss is all about...

First impressions :
- Coming from a plasma, I - pretty much - got the same feeling for the first couple of minutes upon unboxing it : blacks are black aaand...the fact that I'm going to babysit it like I did with my plasma šŸ˜.
Got all the burn-in safety features on (they where turned on by default) so I'm just gonna take it easy.
Bonus: this TV literally checks all OCD boxes when it comes to next-gen gaming : 4K@120Hz AND Dolby vision at the same time with no halved vertical res bullshit or having to put it into "monitor mode" like the Philips as to have proper 4K@120Hz (which had to turn some settings off and display visual bugs when trying to achieve that).
New model(s) are going to be out in 4 months but this thing is pretty much future proof which I like.

- I fookin' won the panel lottery since the screen is spot-fookin'-on, no grid, no weird tint (that I can see at least) and the (very noticeable) vertical banding on the right side of the screen that i noticed as soon as I turned the TV on disappeared after doing a manual pixel refresh.
Did the 5% grayscale test and the thing is c-l-e-a-n , I'm very, very satisfied with the panel.
Also, no shitty DSE, vertical banding , clouding, corner(s) vignetting etc etc that still plague LCD/LED TVs , again, very reminiscent of the quality of the plasma technology of yore.

Now , a couple of odd things/things I didn't like :

- the tv does a very audible "CliNckK" sound when I turn it off - is it normal ?

- There was film protection on the screen itself but not on the back, I've been reading that the first thing you gotta do when you get an OLED is removing the film on the back - maybe the C2 models don't have it since the back is now all plastic compared to the CX and C1 ?

- Sound is...not good fellas, I mean it's a TV, still, the sound is weak/tiny, Is there a way to improve it by fiddling with the options ? Which presets do you use for gaming and movies ?

- Anything I should know for proper usage as to not get burn in ? Again, the safety features are all turned to on - which brings me to : the logo dimming thing, should it be set to low or high ?
Not going to use it as a PC "monitor" as i don't want to get blind since my desk's depth is only 70cm long and this is a 55" TV but, in case I want to try it for shits and giggles, I suppose that setting the taskbar on Win11 to auto-hide would do the trick (?).

Finally, I don't know what picture settings to use/how to calibrate it (have it paired to my XSX), care to share your insight/settings and maybe some videos ?

Now if only the XSX actually had some tRipLE AAA vidjya to show off what the display can do things would have been even better
troll-pilled.gif
Nice grats

Forza 5 and even Flight Sim look stellar on OLED

fart town usa

Gold Member
More or less the same situation as your OP.

I got a 2022 Bravia OLED 65" a few weeks back and the "old" TV was a 42" panasonic plasma.

Truth be told, I still think the plasma has better colors. I like the Bravia though, it's nice to be able to max out the PS5 with VRR and all that stuff.

At the end of the day I still think the plasma in 1080p holds up just fine but it's nice to have the option for 4k, etc. Funny thing is that of course the Bravia is in the living room, my wife's domain, so I still don't even get to use the TV much. I'm happy to have my plasma downstairs at my dedicated gaming TV though. Feels good.

edit- sorry to hear about the sound. The Bravia sound is honestly amazing. I don't even want a sound bar and I'm pretty sure my wife got me one for Christmas, might have to return it cause it's honestly not necessary with how good the TV already is.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I still have a C6 so not sure if your C2 has the same settings.

Do you have Smart Sound Mode on? I also have Magic Sound Tuning set to Bass Mode. Mine sounded tinny out of the box, but with these on it sounded much better.

No need to babysit the TV as long as you power it down with a remote as compared to having it connected to a switch which cuts all power off to the TV and prevents it from doing its thing in standby mode. Iā€™ve had OLEDS since the C6 and only ever had image retention prior to the 8 series roll out, but never burn in. Since the 8 series LG OLEDs Iā€™ve never even had image retention and currently have 3,000 hours on my CX without an issue.

I suggest watching this video from HDTV test to ease your mind:

Enjoy your new TV!

Lone Wolf

Congrats OP. Recently picked up a 77 inch B2. Wish I had went OLED earlier. Picture is amazing, much better than my prior TV, a mini LED TCL. No going back now.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
You have to get a good soundbar to go with it. Since I got a soundbar I can never go back to listening to the regular TV audio again
Easily the best advice you can get, the oled is sublime when it comes to picture quality BUT it needs a proper soundbar to compliment it otherwise you're getting a sub par experience when watching movies and TV shows

A.Romero

After 11 years with a Panny plasma which I had to sell before moving to a new country and after returning a faulty 4K Philips PUS8887 (shame since I loved the ambilight) a couple of weeks back, I finally said fuck it, I'm gonna spend a "little" bit more (almost twice the price of the Philips šŸ˜) as to see what the fuss is all about, so, I got me an LG 55C26LD).

First impressions :

Now, a couple of odd things/things I didn't like :

If only the XSX actually had some tRipLE AAA vidjya to show off what the display can do things would have been even better
troll-pilled.gif

Cheers guys & gals

I have a C1 and the clinvk seems to be normal. I've had it for a year and works fine.

Mine did have film in the back (like any other mid-high end I've had in the past)

If it's something you can do, build a HT. It does improve the overall experience

Regarding the settings look for Vincent's recommended settings on YT

Also: congrats. Great TV's

HTK

Banned
Welcome to the OLED master race. It makes such a big difference itā€™s crazy. I have a LG CX and 3250 hours clocked, not a single issue or complaint.

REDRZA MWS

Enjoy the hell out of it man, Been using LG OKED since E7P, then C8, now GX. Love the hdmi 2.1 gaming features and the response time and picture is 2nd to none.

Pimpbaa

If the C2 is like the CX then the click when you turn it off is normal. If it doesnā€™t click, thatā€™s normal too as itā€™s doing a short pixel refresh (does it every 4 hours the tv has been on). Been using my CX since 2020 for mostly HDR gaming and zero hint of burn in on a gray screen (where you can really see any uniformity defects).

Nice. I have a 65ā€ B8 in the living room but I donā€™t game on it. Have a 55ā€ TCL R646 upstairs in the common area for gaming. B8 is probably better but doesnā€™t matter to me.

RPS37

Pretty sure we got the same tv.
I donā€™t know if we really gotta worry too much about calibrating.
however, maybe check out hdtvtest on YouTube.

sigmaZ

Welcome. I have a 4K LGCX but I like widescreen for productivity, so I also use an aw3423dw as my main monitor. Looks gorgeous and supports high refresh rates.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hey everyone , thanks for chiming in ;)

Ok, a couple of things :

- Sound : Again, i understand that TV sound is what it is but even the Philips PUS8887 that i returned sounded better - and that was a 600ā‚¬ TV (for the 43").
Now, i never was an audiophile but, i always did put emphasis on sound and i always gamed and watched movies on a H.T 5.1 system, for the past 11 years i had a Sony STRDA2400ES connected to some Pioneer speakers and the sound was gooood (gave 'em to a friend before moving), thing is, i'm older now and i don't want to annoy the neighbors nor my girlfriend, meaning, no soundbar for me since there's no need , plus, i've been enjoying my headphones for the the past 2 years - even more so than the 5.1 system i used to have if i'm to be honest, i'm weird, i know ;)
I just need to tune the C2's sound a little bit as to make it somewhat better, that's all.

- While the TV is super-nice , i'm one of those weird people that think that 4K, maybe isn't all that and that the real "next-gen" thing about these displays is HDR (like many users in here have been saying), thing is, i have to calibrate the darned thing first and i don't know where to friggin' start, methinks i'm gonna lose hours today reading/watching vids on youtube just to find some proper settings.
If i was coming from a 10 year old LCD/LED, maybe my socks would have been blown off, coming from a plasma though with its good blacks and perfect screen uniformity...sure, there's a difference (especially when it comes to the brightness) but i'm still not that impressed gentlemen/ladies.Those (compressed) 4K videos on Youtube sure looked mighty fine though.
The biggest + for me right now when it comes to OLED is that there's no vignetting in the corners of the screen, no shitty vertical banding that you can't get rid of, no blooming, no DSE, no...you get it, everything is super-clean and nice (got lucky with the panel lottery though).

I was thinking of going Mini-LED in the beginning but the stupid prices (still more expensive that most OLEDs) - not to mention the fact that they're still LCD screens with all their + and - made me jump in.

Have to work now but i'll be back later with more impressions after i "calibrate it", have a good day fellas, cheers.

Last edited:

gundalf

I'm so glad that my first experience my OLED + HDR was with death stranding, the HDR is supreme and immediately let's you understand what HDR is about.

GymWolf

Don't stress too much about burn in dude, just enjoy the tv.

If you could see the shitty usege i had with my last 3 oled tv and not a sign of burn in whatsoever, i can't be THAT lucky...

Last edited:

skit_data

I used their guide for calibrating my C8, I think they do a good job of explaining how to go about it.

Edit: I think itā€™s probably a good idea to calibrate ASAP because I did it after half a year and everything will look ā€wrongā€ for quite a while despite it being the optimal settings, especially stuff like warmth etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom