• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today I finally joined the glorious 4K and OLED master race

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

I used their guide for calibrating my C8, I think they do a good job of explaining how to go about it.

Edit: I think it’s probably a good idea to calibrate ASAP because I did it after half a year and everything will look ”wrong” for quite a while despite it being the optimal settings, especially stuff like warmth etc.

Thanks brother, will try them later ;)

In other news : OK, this is weird, yesterday i checked the Tv's "screen time report" and it said that i had 1 hour of SOT (which was correct).Today, i checked it again and it says that yesterday's SOT was 0 hours and 4 mins ? What ? How's it possible ? It's like the SOT reset for some reason - that - or i'm looking at it wrong :D

Last edited:

nikeboy94

You have to get a good soundbar to go with it. Since I got a soundbar I can never go back to listening to the regular TV audio again
I got a Dolby Atmos home cinema system to go with mine.

But yes, I agree, a sound upgrade is well worth it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Having both OLED(LG CX) and QLED(QN900B), I find myself using my QLED way more because of the greater color volume and no burn in piece of mind with my gaming habits.
I recently bought the new LG 27” 240 HZ OLED monitor and I prefer the 32” Samsung Neo Odyssey G7 because colors do looks better and also not having to worry about burn in

Plus the OLED monitor has a horrible matte coating that just ruins it and for me OLED just doesn’t get bright enough yet

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Burn-in is no longer an issue with OLEDs. Stop spreading lies.
MY c1 already survived 5k hours of desktop and ps5 use since march 2021. No burn in.
The only things I do is have taskbar set to autohide, wallpapers set on 1 minute randomize (I use my screenshots as wallpaper and it's really cool actualy) and I use SDR with 50-60 oled brightness on SDR games and desktop.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Burn-in is no longer an issue with OLEDs. Stop spreading lies.
For monitors its a huge issue because people are using them for PC desktop use and its pretty easy to find people showing burn in in less than a year on the Alienware ultra wide monitors

I have had my C9 TV since launch and no issues but again I don't use it for other than occasional gaming and TV watching

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
For monitors its a huge issue because people are using them for PC desktop use and its pretty easy to find people showing burn in in less than a year on the Alienware ultra wide monitors

I have had my C9 TV since launch and no issues but again I don't use it for other than occasional gaming and TV watching
It's still greatly exaggerated by certain people. I have that very oled monitor and accidentally left it on over night not long ago. No burn in at all. That was with the taskbar and icons just chilling there all night long.

Supple

Banned
Not really, burn-in is not an issue if you vary your content, just saying it's not an issue anymore regardless of viewing habits strikes me as dishonest.

Someone reputable who actually tested burn-in (as posted on previous page):

OLED burn-in has become a meme on the internet at this point.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
Disable energy saver function it only cripples brightness for 10 watts saving tested by hdtvtest. Not worth it eu regulation did this.

My tv never dimms itself set it up correctly. Burn in is a myth on oleds past 2020 gen. If you get burn in you forced it. My tv runs allday all night who cares 15k hours no issue at all. And i use 100 oled light always.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Someone reputable who actually tested burn-in (posted on previous page):

Digital Trends aren't reputable enough? That's news to me.

Vincent has anti burn-in tips videos on his channel from not so long ago. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Here you can hear him say to vary your content and burn-in won't be an issue.

He even gives tips on how to hasten burn-in. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Vincent has anti burn-in tips videos on his channel from not so long ago. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Its easy to cherry pick videos to suit your needs and anyone who knows remotely anything about OLEDs know you better vary your content or you will get burn in

People saying you can use it say as a desktop monitor and not get burn in are simply just ignorant on the subject which isn't a bad thing as I freely admit I am ignorant on many things

Its super easy to find people using OLED as mainly desktop monitors and occasional gaming as having burn in

Timestamped to show obvious burn in

Its not even a debate for me, if people want to use their OLED with static images on all the time knock yourself out

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I may end up selling my LG C2. Kinda had it with the motion clarity in gaming.
What's wrong with it?
You will not get better motion clarity even from 240hz ips.
maybe if you use backlight strobing but I don't find it worth it

[Sigma]

What's wrong with it?
You will not get better motion clarity even from 240hz ips.
maybe if you use backlight strobing but I don't find it worth it
BFI works but even then it's not that good. And it's only offered at 60hz, a downgrade from the C1 that offered it at 120hz. 60fps gaming on this set makes me sad. Damn shame my older sets handles motion better.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Its easy to cherry pick videos to suit your needs and anyone who knows remotely anything about OLEDs know you better vary your content or you will get burn in

People saying you can use it say as a desktop monitor and not get burn in are simply just ignorant on the subject which isn't a bad thing as I freely admit I am ignorant on many things

Its super easy to find people using OLED as mainly desktop monitors and occasional gaming as having burn in

Timestamped to show obvious burn in

Its not even a debate for me, if people want to use their OLED with static images on all the time knock yourself out

I guess my oled monitor is a unicorn. I love how you ignore everything that doesn't suit your narrative. Enjoy your shitty ips monitor I guess

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I may end up selling my LG C2. Kinda had it with the motion clarity in gaming.

Hey Sigma, care to elaborate a lil'bit on this ? What's your problem friend ?
C2 owner here so I'm curious, cheers 😉

Edit : you've already answered...
BFI sucks on the C2 but...it dims the screen so much that I've turned it off either way, 60fps games look fine to me, 30 fps though...I tried to play some Lost Odyssey on my XSX the other day and holy shit it was dreadful...

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I guess my oled monitor is a unicorn. I love how you ignore everything that doesn't suit your narrative. Enjoy your shitty ips monitor I guess
Not ignoring anything as sitting for one night better not give you burn in

If you are not getting burn in on your Alienware yet thats great and hope you never do but I have seen people post burn in shots of that very monitor so sorry if I take actual proof as it actually happening and not knowing how much you vary your content

Imagine showing someone from 1960 a 4K TV.
Just watching videos from like 20 years ago but in 480 and lower blows my mind how far we have come

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not ignoring anything as sitting for one night better not give you burn in

If you are not getting burn in on your Alienware yet thats great and hope you never do but I have seen people post burn in shots of that very monitor so sorry if I take actual proof as it actually happening and not knowing how much you vary your content

Just watching videos from like 20 years ago but in 480 and lower blows my mind how far we have come
Those are the exceptions to the rule. How can you not see that. You have to actively try to get burn in on oled. Got stock in ips tech or something?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Those are the exceptions to the rule. How can you not see that. You have to actively try to get burn in on oled. Got stock in ips tech or something?
You mean like I said early on people using OLED as mainly desktop use?

I know people are not getting burn in if they vary their content and again I said its when people leave something like a taskbar on their display for days/weeks and months on end with brightness maxed out

And no stock in IPS tech as that is for sure the monitor type I have used the most but had the 27" LG OLED monitor here for several days and gamed on it a lot but hated the coating on it

My monitor of preference atm is the Samsung Neo Odyssey G7 mini LED but its far from perfect as it does have scan lines though I have to actually look for them its something I can live with since my monitor stays on literally all the time

I am just saying people that say burn in wont happen or is overblown is wrong, it can happen if you use your OLED in certain ways

When I see people like TFTCentral and RTings say burn in will occur if you have the same static issue on screen then its safe to say it will happen

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You mean like I said early on people using OLED as mainly desktop use?

I know people are not getting burn in if they vary their content and again I said its when people leave something like a taskbar on their display for days/weeks and months on end with brightness maxed out

And no stock in IPS tech as that is for sure the monitor type I have used the most but had the 27" LG OLED monitor here for several days and gamed on it a lot but hated the coating on it

My monitor of preference atm is the Samsung Neo Odyssey G7 mini LED but its far from perfect as it does have scan lines though I have to actually look for them its something I can live with since my monitor stays on literally all the time

I am just saying people that say burn in wont happen or is overblown is wrong, it can happen if you use your OLED in certain ways

When I see people like TFTCentral and RTings say burn in will occur if you have the same static issue on screen then its safe to say it will happen
Who the fuck is going to leave static content on their screen for days on end? Literally nobody. So yes it's quite overblown.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Who the fuck is going to leave static content on their screen for days on end? Literally nobody. So yes it's quite overblown.
You can't even do that.
ps5 auto power off, screen dims, on windows, I have blank screensaver set to 2minutes... even tv auto powers of after 4 hours.
And it does not matter how long at one time you display an image. All that matters is how long was the pixel being powered on in total. And higher brightness of that pixels use it more.

So it's not burn-in. It's "use-up" and each pixel color have different life span. White is the most durable, that's why LG uses it so much. RGB gives color, white gives brightness to spare rgb pixels or something like that

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah not really trying to convince you of anything and sorry if I take the word of professional reviewers and seeing pictures of it actually happen

If You Say So Shrug GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yeah not really trying to convince you of anything and sorry if I take the word of professional reviewers and seeing pictures of it actually happen

If You Say So Shrug GIF
Professional reviews say it's not a concern unless under extreme circumstances. I've read ever review you have I'm sure. You're making up concerns. Why? Enjoy your objectively inferior tech I guess.

Ulysses 31

May not just be leaving the screen on, actively playing the same game(s) got me burn in, albeit on a 2016 OLED, the flask and ring buffs from Dark Souls and the life bar from Hyrule Warriors remain permanently visible. I won't be playing those kinds of games on my LG CX for the 100s of hours in total like I did on the 2016 model.

Killer8

He even gives tips on how to hasten burn-in. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Weird recommendation on the subtitles by Vincent. Burn-in is caused by a static image imposed on the screen over a relatively long period of time. Think TV broadcast logos and news tickers, or perhaps a game HUD which you've played for 1000s of hours. A subtitle appearing on screen for a few seconds and then disappearing in place of a completely different subtitle would count as varying content in my eyes. His solution to make them smaller also makes them hard to read.

Cacadookie

Neo Member
I have 5480 hours on my LG CX Refurb from April 2021. I've yet to see any burn in on 5% gray tests. I also use the LG Companion app to shut off the display after five minutes.

Quasicat

I went with an LED 6 years ago mainly for the viewing angles and the natural light of our living room. Has this improved with the newest OLEDs? I figure by the time I’m ready to pick up a new one, it will be microLED.

JLB

Banned
Welcome to the team!
And nice to exit the other suckers /s

Please invest is a good audio solution. A capable 3d steo headset (if it includes a wireless option) is optimal.

Plasmas still look incredible compared to an OLED.
They no longer look incredible . I won't say the plasma tech is without merit, but innovation stopped in 2013.

OLED is indeed awesome. I own both an LG B6 and Samsung S95B. My only complaint is that they have become absurdly complex to set up properly with all of the settings and standards. Add firmware updates that can drastically alter the image even after you dial it in, and it's a complete PITA. I miss the days when I could just buy the right cable and go into the settings and turn down sharpness and be good to go.

See you in 10 years when MicroLED is hopefully an affordable thing, OP!

Last edited:
Top Bottom