• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: New PS5 with detachable disc drive test kit in people's hands, "works flawlessly"

mansoor1980

Fully possible this will be a PS5 Slim with the same price as the current PS5 if not even more expensive. They could also phase out the digital and fat versions as a result and move to just this model.

Alternatively, they could read the room on a global recession and put this out for the same price as the PS5 Digital and if they can keep up with demand they could really start selling 30-40 million units a year, which is probably more in line with where they thought they'd be. They have a lot of catching up to do on market share, so this makes more sense to me than increasing the price of the SKU or removing the 400-dollar access price.

I don't think this attachment will work on PS5 Digitals.

It can also be seen as a move to mollify regulators. They probably preferred an all-digital version from the start, but I'm guessing counsel advised them against it. Right now they can charge developers a 30-dollar royalty on digital by saying that they don't make much profit on the hardware and that people can still buy physical discs instead of going to their store. If they went all digital they would end up in Apple Store territory and any legislation that impacts Apple would certainly impact them. This attachment largely shields them from said legislation while allowing them to drive up revenue since people are likely to buy this SKU and not buy the disc drive though it will be available.

My best guess is the new SKU retails for 400 USD and the attachment will retail for 150 USD.
150 for a disc drive? no way

Good

But this is something that they've should have figured out at release.

They would have been able to produce way more PS5s

Better late then never, I guess

You say this with the lens of having full knowledge of the pandemic.

PS5's design was almost certainly finalized before the pandemic even happened.

Rather than focus on releasing a SKU removing the drive the real aim here was to reduce weight and size as much as possible and create a PS5 slim model.

This model will likely be the model they push in Japan especially.

Does it make sense? No. Could it happen? IMO, yes.

I go from thinking this could be anywhere from £399 to £449.

The disc drive will be £149 (or more) IMO. Sony won’t release a cheaper way of playing games (pre-owned they take no cut) that they have to manufacture and ship out to you for £99/£129.

We’ll see though. Can’t wait to see this, revisions are nearly always more aesthetically pleasing than launch consoles.

But they already have a digital PS5 for £350, so how could they possibly justify releasing this new digital version for more? It would be like a price increase and a very bad move by Sony. The console and drive shouldn't be more then the cost of the disc console we have now.

150 for a disc drive? no way

Sometimes you don't sell products to sell, you sell them so that they're available.

150 represents the margin that they want to make on it due to the potential loss of sales in the digital storefront. That they are bundling it for 100 dollars suggests that separating it would be a minimum of 100 dollars, but they'll probably want a margin on the individual product. But it is also likely that they'll price it to not sell as they don't want people buying it in the first place.

They probably make about 5 dollars on games sold on a disc at full price vs 21 dollars for games sold on their storefront at full price.

But they already have a digital PS5 for £350, so how could they possibly justify releasing this new digital version for more? It would be like a price increase and a very bad move by Sony. The console and drive shouldn't be more then the cost of the disc console we have now.

You justify it by saying it's a slimmer model that required significant R&D to produce and that the new SKU reflects global inflation.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s £389 now, and as a single unified SKU (instead of selling 2 separate SKUs) they can try and market it as £80 cheaper than the main model (£479).

I may be wrong and it could be £349, but the pricing of the VR2/Dualsense Pro tells me they want to sell hardware at premium prices. I hope it is £349.

nani17

are in a big trouble
1280px-Sega-CD-Model2-Set.png

I'll just drop the Sega CD in here and leave

I hardly ever used my PS4 disk drive, downloaded almost everything.
The only time I used a disc on my PC is to install Windows, and that easily can be done with a USB-stick if I needed to and did not already have the disk and the drive.

Disks are good if you are into used games and can't wait for games to drop their digital pices, otherwise they are a waste of my time, ressources and shelf space.
I'd rather have more storage, 2 or better 4TB, then a disk drive. That is an SKU that hopefully comes with this change too.

Perfect solution to make the future standard, and keep an accessory for those who are not ready yet.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Please make it look beautiful. PS5 is hideous, I hate it and I hate how it looks in my set-up.

Sony is known for so many gorgeous, timeless designs. Look at this:

John Wick

I like this idea.
Obviously, the PS5 is going to be redesigned to something smaller ( if the newer motherboard found in the newest revision is anything to go buy.

That means Sony will be selling the slim PS5 without a drive for 400$. if you want the drive? here is 150$ extra. this way it's more expensive so Sony will make more money than selling them together.

But on the other hand, if the drive ever fails on you, all you do is just... send that back and continue playing. sure a bit more money but its kinda worth it.

now if they are going to ask for 200$ for the drive.. then can fuck off.
There should be no reason for Sony to charge more than $100. Probably $70-80 is fair with Sony making money on each drive too.

Nautilus

Banned
They charge you 100$ for it when it's already internal. Do you want them to charge you 100$ when it's external and has its own shipping box/housing, material, etc?

Sony out of all the companies in the world? they are fighting with Nvidia in second place when it comes to how to rob customers. Right after Apple.
Eh, better be optimistic rather than pessimistic. Even then, 150 dollars is overkill, especially since the PS5 is currently 500 dollars. It wont cost more than 100 dollars.

Ozzie666

Forward thinking for the PS5 slim which might not have a CD rom drive? Maybe? then the cost savings might make sense or be the same.

Flutta

Banned
I really don't get this at all.

It’s basically a solution for Sony to save resources and time for every unit they make and also make more money in the process by selling these drives with a bigger margin. It’s a win win for them.

Sony is preparing for a digital only future. Enjoy! 🙃

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it makes sense, ita a good idea. I just feel there's some potentially dodgy business decision outside of the ease of producing one version. Like, Sony will hold back production of drives and make them crazy expensive or something so people are kinda forced to buy digital.

I just bought horizon forbidden west for 15 pounds brand new from tesco plus picked up a ps4 copy for the same price and traded it in for 25 so now I feel like I paid a fiver for horizon forbidden west, which is perfect for me becuase I just want to see it as a graphics benchmark. No way I'm completing it.

Don't want to be forced down digital with Sonys story games. I like trading them in after.

Last edited:
I think it makes sense, ita a good idea. I just feel there's some potentially dodgy business decision outside of the ease of producing one version. Like, Sony will hold back production of drives and make them crazy expensive or something so people are kinda forced to buy digital.

I just bought horizon forbidden west for 15 pounds brand new from tesco plus picked up a ps4 copy for the same price and traded it in for 25 so now I feel like I paid a fiver for horizon forbidden west, which is perfect for me becuase I just want to see it as a graphics benchmark. No way I'm completing it.

Don't want to be forced down digital with Sonys story games. I like trading them in after.

Probably not since they don't want to get on the retailers bad side with this.

kyliethicc

Wait… you will gladly pay 20 more to have a game that you don’t own, can’t get to play offline or v1.0 if you choose too, display on the shelf, sell, borrow, wipe your ass with if you need?!
And here I am thinking people will not pay for getting screwed over.
Physical is the last remnants of our freedoms of choice. Choice how to play and what to do with the product. Some last bits of ownership.
Digital is convenient maybe but psn speeds suck and I can’t do nothing about it. There is only 1 price that is usually higher than physical and you don’t own a squat if there is no internet, no servers or you get hacked.

Sure, I do think about going digital from time to time because I barely have room for games but no
actually I'd pay $50 more per game to not have to wipe my ass with a blu ray lol

I got Modern Warfare 2 a few weeks ago for $59 cad when the game was nearly only a month old (regular price 89.99 + tax = $103) from Walmart. The digital version has not been on sale at all afaik. I can resell if I want and recoup at least $40 easily right now if I wanted or didn't like the game.

Physical still has a place, cleary.
In the future you will simply buy a game code from Walmart. Digital, retail.

Walmart doesn't give a shit if there's a blu ray inside the box.

Last edited:
My post when this news first broke was deleted for trolling, but I think I was correct in saying this is a soft US price hike. I think this new console goes for $499.

aclar00

I never understood this reasoning. Man there are PS Store sales all the time, most going from 50 up to 85 %, which is insane. Demons Souls is on a 58% sale right now, for example. The lowest a disc is going to get is 20 bucks (unless you're buying used), while digital sales go way under that.

The only way physical still makes sense is if you want to get rid of your stuff right after you beaten the story mode. I'm not on that front anymore; I prefer to keep my games.

I can't really justify buying discs anymore. I remember I bought Part II Collectors Edition and as I couldn't wait for the delivery I also ended up purschasing a digital copy; I was able to preload and play the game the second it was released and never ever touched the collector's after its arrival.

I'm really interested in this PS5 version if it actually ends up being the slim. That disc drive of mine won't have any more use after I finish with my PS4 backlog.

Im just one person and i buy disc unless there is no other option, but rarely if ever, have I seen the store cheaper than a disc, particularly for first party games.

i just checked for Demon Souls on the US store and its showing $70....Amazon showing $30. The disc will stay consistently cheaper througbout the year. PSN sales, while not rare in general, only put a set number of games on sale during each promotion. So often times the games you want, even if old, may not be on sale. On some ocassions disc and digital will match, but i cant think of digital ever actually being cheaper.

Just did a quick Death Stranding PS4 search and its $40 on PSN but $24 on Amazon. It was $10 on disc during Thanksgiving week.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Phase out a disc based console entirely, make the disc-less the only model at $450 and charge $80 to $100 for the disc peripheral for anyone who wants it.
It would probably be the same price as the current DE. And the bundled option the same as the current disc version.

Probably a smaller form factor and more weight reduction as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It would probably be the same price as the current DE. And the bundled option the same as the current disc version.

If that is the case, wonder if the BD add-on will be USB based or a separate plug-in port (on a new slimmer model) like how the Xboxes have a port for the SSD.

If it's the later it won't be viable for existing DE owners tho.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If that is the case, wonder if the BD add-on will be USB based or a separate plug-in port (on a new slimmer model) like how the Xboxes have a port for the SSD.

If it's the later it won't be viable for existing DE owners tho.
It has high-speed USB ports in the back as well. The same high-speed as the USB-C in the front that will be used for PSVR2. Same speeds they use for Display Port on the PC.

With USB-C you get:
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 data transfer rates of 40Gbps
  • USB Power Delivery 2.0 – Up to 100W of bi-directional power delivery
  • DisplayPort Alternate Mode (DP Alt Mode) with DP 1.4 suppo

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It has high-speed USB ports in the back as well. The same high speed as the USB-C in the front that will be used for PSVR2. Same speeds they use for Display Port on the PC.

The BD drives on both consoles are very slow (my download speed is faster than the speed at which a game from disc is installed) so it perfectly makes sense.

if it's powered by the USB itself and doesn't require an external plug that makes it a much more viable and compact solution.

aclar00

I'll gladly pay more $20 per game for the ability to just download and play.

Imagine if evey time you changed apps on your phone you had to insert a different sd card lol

Man, i rather pay $20 less and change disc than to part ways with more of my money...but the younger gen def seems to like to pay more for convenience, thats for sure (not saying youre part of the younger gens). Then again, i usually stick to one game at a time for weeks, if not months on end sometimes.

I mean, if and when i order take out pizza i go and pick it up. Dont like extra delivery fees, let alones the extra fees Doordash and the like charge.

All in all, given the amount of games i purchase per year, id say i save on average $200 a year, upwards of $300.

I just can't see this happening. No way they drop the only SKU to $399 when the price went up in the other territories. We'll see soon enough, but I think it's much easier to just keep the price "the same" without the disc drive.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just can't see this happening. No way they drop the only SKU to $399 when the price went up in the other territories. We'll see soon enough, but I think it's much easier to just keep the price "the same" without the disc drive.
All I said was that it would probably remain the same prices as the current models. That is not dropping the price.

But, you never know.

The BD drives on both consoles are very slow (my download speed is faster than the speed at which a game from disc is installed) so it perfectly makes sense.

if it's powered by the USB itself and doesn't require an external plug that makes it a much more viable and compact solution.
The ports in that mode have plenty of power at 100W both ways. It's how they're going to power PSVR2 with one cable.

Last edited:

aclar00

Why would this be successful now when others have failed for various reasons in the past? Xbox HDDVD, 32x, Sega CD, etc.

1) As many people have argued on this thread that could very well be Sony's plan...appease those who want it, but ultimately kill off discs faster and usher in the era of digital only quicker.

2) Those other peripheral add-ons focus wasnt to play the primary games of the console. HD-DVD was just to play movies. 32x and Sega CD were to play enhanced games and on completely diff media, not plain old Genesis games.

The problem is that the margins on the disc model are better and I imagine plenty of disc buyers still buy digital games. Raising the price to $450 and selling the disc drive for $50 seems pretty realistic.

Top Bottom