• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: New PS5 with detachable disc drive test kit in people's hands, "works flawlessly"

ReBurn

Gold Member
Maybe you and @kyliethicc are right and I'm just being thick-headed. Perhaps I should be more open to this as having the option to add a drive is better than not having one at all. I guess part of me is expecting that to be the next step.
I think an advantage of going this way is to allow Sony to streamline console manufacturing costs by having to manufacture a single chassis/plastic case/faceplate version instead of two. It also streamlines board manufacturing because models without an optical drive don't contain the components on the motherboard to power interact with the optical drive, so they could produce a single board model with fewer components for all consoles.

Sony have to be somewhat hesitant about this approach because if they go this way and they don't manufacture enough external drives to meet demand then people are going to accuse them of trying to force digital adoption. And it's another vector for scalpers to use to exploit people who want physical games. If Sony really go this way it would be great if people could use any USB 3.0 or faster external Blu Ray drive if they can't get their hands on an official one.

vivftp

Yes and it sucks to know it likely won’t have the disc automatically this may make me buy a base model on top of the pro
If they're going in the direction of offering a base model unit with an optional detachable drive then later they come out with a PS5 Pro, it's a virtual certainty that they'll design the Pro model to also accept the detachable disc drive. Kill two birds with one stone.

vivftp

I think an advantage of going this way is to allow Sony to streamline console manufacturing costs by having to manufacture a single chassis/plastic case/faceplate version instead of two. It also streamlines board manufacturing because models without an optical drive don't contain the components on the motherboard to power interact with the optical drive, so they could produce a single board model with fewer components for all consoles.

Sony have to be somewhat hesitant about this approach because if they go this way and they don't manufacture enough external drives to meet demand then people are going to accuse them of trying to force digital adoption. And it's another vector for scalpers to use to exploit people who want physical games. If Sony really go this way it would be great if people could use any USB 3.0 or faster external Blu Ray drive if they can't get their hands on an official one.

Opening it up to any random third party external drive is an easy way to allow folks to exploit the console. At least by only allowing the official drive to work they can try to build in some safeguards to prevent that. How successful those measures may be, who knows, but something is better than nothing.

Sony wouldn't be hesitant in the least. They already produce the majority of PS5 units with disc drives, only now they're moving the disc drive units to an separate production line. According to Tom Henderson, they plan to ship 18 million of these new models in the last 2 quarters of the next fiscal year, they'll ensure there's a healthy supply of drives available.

Trunx81

Gold Member
Imagine an additional disc drive for the Series S .. letting you play older Xbox titles as well. Maybe MS will make this move if Sony is successful.

If they're going in the direction of offering a base model unit with an optional detachable drive then later they come out with a PS5 Pro, it's a virtual certainty that they'll design the Pro model to also accept the detachable disc drive. Kill two birds with one stone.
And it sucks since I want the drive by default on the console man this thing will be a chore to take on travel

Sony have to be somewhat hesitant about this approach because if they go this way and they don't manufacture enough external drives to meet demand then people are going to accuse them of trying to force digital adoption.

I'd say one reason to do this is to find out how popular the disc drive really is. Sony definately wants to go digital only I'm sure, and sales of this is going to drive the strategy of getting there.

DaGwaphics

Imagine an additional disc drive for the Series S .. letting you play older Xbox titles as well. Maybe MS will make this move if Sony is successful.

There are already rumors that they are considering it, even some of the DRM changes they've made seem to point in that direction.

I just hope they make the drives small and slim like a typical portable drive and not some monstrosity they make using the drive from the consoles (which is still a little chunky). Though I'm basically all digital so would be unlikely to get one anyway.

This is the natural way to move to a disk-less base console without taking anything away from people who like physical (at least in theory). In reality maybe you hurt physical a bit because further separating the drive from the console might reduce the % of users with the drive, but I doubt MS, Sony, or the devs/publishers are overly concerned about that aspect.

Last edited:
My only disagreement with this is the Pro model.

When they do it, it better have a disk drive. I don't care if it's 550-600 USD - the whole point is for it to be premium. Everything and more in the package. Skimping on a disk drive just isn't right for that.
I’ve always said they should just make the pro 600 so it’s uncompromised

I don't understand all the people in here that are so down with an all digital future.

Have you guys taken a look at digital prices? Often they are more expensive than retail. Doesn't it bother you that all you have to show for your money post purchase is a non transferrable digital licence? That you can no longer sell or trade in games?

I have played most of the big games released for the PS5. I keep the games I like the most but trade the others. I recently traded 4 - 5 PS5 games that I had finished and received £120 in store credit at a local retailer. I was then able to pick up GoW Ragnarok on launch along with a new controller.

I get the convenience argument in support of digital. I understand that there may occasionally be a good deal in an online marketplace sale. What I just don't get is people shitting on what is undeniably the cheapest and most consumer friendly way to play games short of subscription services. Hell, on numerous occasions I have purchased a full price game, completed it, then sold it a few weeks later for almost as much as it cost in the first place. I've been doing this for decades.

For me, I sometimes like to go into a video game store and look around. Call it nostalgic but an all digital future effectively 'Blockbusters' retail game stores. If they die, the second hand market dies. Then we are at the mercy of the publishers as to what we will pay. We will be locked into buying from the online marketplace. That means that there will be far less impetus to reduce the cost of offerings. We will all pay more. Ask yourself, is that really good for us consumers?
Also being able to play unpatched versions of games or being able to actually play your games without internet which is extremely useful when you go to say a hotel

You can get plates.
Full black electronics kinda suck ass. I am tired of these
Plates are garbage that don’t come with their own colored controller and also you need to keep track of the original plates for both returns and warranties so no it’s not a replacement

I’ve always said they should just make the pro 600 so it’s uncompromised

I'd say the Pro is very likely to be more than $600. I agree that it should include the drive but perhaps how well this external drive goes might drive that.

Also being able to play unpatched versions of games or being able to actually play your games without internet which is extremely useful when you go to say a hotel

Dunno if you are aware of this but the primary console on PS4/5 doesn't need to be connected & I don't think there is any time limit either. I only turn on network access when patching or installing a new game and have no problems leaving it offline for months. This includes bought digital games. I do not have PS+.

Last edited:

vivftp

And it sucks since I want the drive by default on the console man this thing will be a chore to take on travel

It wouldn't be a chore to take on travel because once the drive is slotted in, it should be attached to the PS5 and look like it belongs, at least ideally. In that scenario, the only difference between traveling with the new model with detachable drive and a model with the drive built in is the tiny little USB cable connecting them both at the back. Otherwise it should be a similar experience.

vivftp

This is a great idea that should have been implemented from the beginning.

Doing this as the original launch plan of the PS5 would've been disastrous. They were able to get the PS5 disc SKU down to the point where it was profitable relatively quick, but the digital model was and is still being sold at a loss. That's mitigated by the fact that the disc model accounts for far more of their production line. If every single model from the start was a digital model then either they would have to go with a higher base MSRP or they'd take huge losses on every single PS5 sold.

Then there's the disc drive accessory and availability. Remember what happened with the PS5 and folks hoarding them to resell at a higher price? Now imagine that happening not only for the base PS5 but also its disc drive which would've definitely been produced in smaller quantities than the console itself at launch

Then on top of that you have the marketing/PR nightmare of this being a new strategy on the market and you've now gotta go in cold and explain to folks how this works, how you need to buy this, then buy that and then your physical games will work. I mean, how many people would wake up on Xmas 2020, open their brand new PS5 and a couple of games, then realize they have no way of playing them because no one got them the optional disc drive? Sure, this will still be a thing they'll have to contend with next year, but now we've had the buffer of a digital only console to prep the market for this strategy. Plus all the scalpers have already done their thing so whoever wants one of these will be able to get one.

It wouldn't be a chore to take on travel because once the drive is slotted in, it should be attached to the PS5 and look like it belongs, at least ideally. In that scenario, the only difference between traveling with the new model with detachable drive and a model with the drive built in is the tiny little USB cable connecting them both at the back. Otherwise it should be a similar experience.
More prone to breaking and getting damaged though

vivftp

More prone to breaking and getting damaged though

We haven't even seen how it slots in yet and how sturdy it is. One could argue that it'd be more prone to breaking no matter what, but for all we know that difference could be negligible.

No use in worrying about something we know nothing about yet, it just wastes energy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If there aren't enough of these peripherals, it'll be a deliberate choice to phase out physical medium.

I don't think Sony, a prominent hardware manufacturer, will have the issue of running out of cheap BD readers.

wipeout364

I wonder if this will create a significant amount of blowback from retailers if they ditch the disc version. It would definitely be seen as a knife in the back to the big box stores.

I wonder if this will create a significant amount of blowback from retailers if they ditch the disc version. It would definitely be seen as a knife in the back to the big box stores.
It may have been trues while ago, but given hitter long this has been coming I don't think it will make a difference (they sell the ps5 digital and series s as far as I know).

ReBurn

Gold Member
It may have been trues while ago, but given hitter long this has been coming I don't think it will make a difference (they sell the ps5 digital and series s as far as I know).
As long as the controllers, subscriptions and cards for PS/XB store credit are still sold at retail they'll probably be fine with it.

NeonDelta

I can see retailers like GAME selling the drives at a loss or bundled with a few disc games.

Twinblade

Doing this as the original launch plan of the PS5 would've been disastrous. They were able to get the PS5 disc SKU down to the point where it was profitable relatively quick, but the digital model was and is still being sold at a loss. That's mitigated by the fact that the disc model accounts for far more of their production line. If every single model from the start was a digital model then either they would have to go with a higher base MSRP or they'd take huge losses on every single PS5 sold.

Then there's the disc drive accessory and availability. Remember what happened with the PS5 and folks hoarding them to resell at a higher price? Now imagine that happening not only for the base PS5 but also its disc drive which would've definitely been produced in smaller quantities than the console itself at launch

Then on top of that you have the marketing/PR nightmare of this being a new strategy on the market and you've now gotta go in cold and explain to folks how this works, how you need to buy this, then buy that and then your physical games will work. I mean, how many people would wake up on Xmas 2020, open their brand new PS5 and a couple of games, then realize they have no way of playing them because no one got them the optional disc drive? Sure, this will still be a thing they'll have to contend with next year, but now we've had the buffer of a digital only console to prep the market for this strategy. Plus all the scalpers have already done their thing so whoever wants one of these will be able to get one.

You're just overthinking things here. It's all about that options that gamers can choose from, digital or physical. If Sony would have implemented this idea from the beginning, there would only be one model ps5, with the option of Digital or physical. The ps5 would be priced around $399 and the cd drive would be priced at $99. And one of the reasons that digital is being sold at a loss is because gamers want the disc drive version.

vivftp

You're just overthinking things here. It's all about that options that gamers can choose from, digital or physical. If Sony would have implemented this idea from the beginning, there would only be one model ps5, with the option of Digital or physical. The ps5 would be priced around $399 and the cd drive would be priced at $99. And one of the reasons that digital is being sold at a loss is because gamers want the disc drive version.

Sorry, but you're not considering the real life supply, distribution and marketing implications of implementing this strategy cold at the beginning of a new gen. It would've been a PR nightmare. At least now the market has gotten used to the idea of a digital console so that helps to ease their transition into the new revision next year. And with scalpers losing interest in the PS5 (coupled with the massive amount of stock coming next year), they won't be a factor for the new model either.

As long as the controllers, subscriptions and cards for PS/XB store credit are still sold at retail they'll probably be fine with it.
I would not say that they are fine with it, but it's something that is bound to happen, so it would be unreasonable to force consoles to have drives if only a few people actually use those... on occasion.

Unlike you I understand perfectly what the objective here is.

Not really, and the leaks have been inconsistent. (and this one isn't even a leak, it's a rumor)

They are not going to charge 600$ for the base model and then sell the drive separately for 150$.
This is a bad faith argument given the PS5 is $500, I said clearly that they will charge the same price for a regular PS5, and then get you to buy the disc drive. They raised the price outside the US they aren't going to sell a new detachable PS5 for a PS5D price that is completely unrealistic and you know it especially given the margins.

At best for those other countries they may drop the PS5 price back to the original price before they raised it, but it's still not going to be PS5D cheap, and I am also not sure they would do a drop here either where they didn't rise the price due to the margins. Best case scenario they go down $50 for the US only but I have trouble seeing that coming true, assuming this is true (in this case it's not even a leak this time technically) but most likely it will still be $500 and then the disc drive will add too that.

If there's a price drop it will likely be US only, and at best we will see outside US drop to the original PS5 price before Sony raised it months ago. The margins aren't going to triple in size because they make a lighter PS5 without a detachable disc drive since it still has to use similar parts internally anyway. The end game to this is clear, they will add a premium for the disc drive.

Like you have said it comes down to pricing as no way they can stay at $499 without the drive but I have a hard time seeing $399

Yep.

disk drive cant cost more than $89 if they are going to keep the 499 price tag.

i think the PS5 will go with $399 and a $99 disk drive

A quality featured 4K BR player with DVD upscaling is definitely not down to $89 yet.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the point?

Who really is this console for

Sony had been heavily criticized since the PS5 release that the system was too big and heavy. With the portable drive, it will allow Sony to accomplished 3 things: Make a much slimmer and lighter PS5, allows them to streamline their PS5 product with just one SKU, bring in more business by allowing the current digital PS5 to have a disc drive added through the back USB port. I don't know how many digital PS5 have been sold to date. But if it's 1:5 ratio, that would be 6 million potential digital PS5 out of the 30 million sold that may want to upgrade at $100 each. $600 million potential right there before even considering how many they will sell with the new revision PS5.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A quality featured 4K BR player with DVD upscaling is definitely not down to $89 yet.
The console is still the Blu-Ray player, the drive is just that… an optical disc drive (hopefully not with its own separate power supply, but just powered by the USB-C connection to the PS5 system). All the video and audio decoding and further processing including displaying it to the TV would be done by the PS5 system.

Last edited:

Miles708

I have only one question:

Why not make the detachable drive compatible also with CD's and finally unlock disc PS2 compatibility?

Fire Elmo GIF

Tams

Who's betting that no matter what the digital plus the disk drive costs more than the current disk model?

I think I'm going to be wrong but I'm also scared I won't be....
If it does, so what? It's not going to be that expensive (though clearly will be for you).

It'll give people a choice and simplify the whole thing.

Not really, and the leaks have been inconsistent. (and this one isn't even a leak, it's a rumor)

This is a bad faith argument given the PS5 is $500, I said clearly that they will charge the same price for a regular PS5, and then get you to buy the disc drive. They raised the price outside the US they aren't going to sell a new detachable PS5 for a PS5D price that is completely unrealistic and you know it especially given the margins.

At best for those other countries they may drop the PS5 price back to the original price before they raised it, but it's still not going to be PS5D cheap, and I am also not sure they would do a drop here either where they didn't rise the price due to the margins. Best case scenario they go down $50 for the US only but I have trouble seeing that coming true, assuming this is true (in this case it's not even a leak this time technically) but most likely it will still be $500 and then the disc drive will add too that.

If there's a price drop it will likely be US only, and at best we will see outside US drop to the original PS5 price before Sony raised it months ago. The margins aren't going to triple in size because they make a lighter PS5 without a detachable disc drive since it still has to use similar parts internally anyway. The end game to this is clear, they will add a premium for the disc drive.

Yep.

I'm just going by history. Usually Sony redesigns their systems to cut manufacturing costs. Unless its a Pro type system costs related to manufacturing go down with a redesign.

That's all I'm saying with this. Sony already increased the price of PS5. Which they probably won't with this model due to them reducing the manufacturing costs.

There's no "aha its a new model so we will milk consumers more for it". That's something that's usually don't with Pro or more premium models of the system.

Good. Looking forward to a nice smaller unified design that isn't a pig. Disc drive is so 1995. Lol

Your right. Consumer choices really is so 1995. In 2022, corporations own your asses and you will like it. They will convince you the old way is old fashioned while taking away choices from you. What's wrong with keeping the option there? Why the fuck would anyone want them to take away disc drives and physical media altogether?

Last edited:
Top Bottom