• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomonobu Itagaki's new studio: Apex Game Studios, and game: Warrior (it's blockchain NFT metaverse stuff)

Pantz

He explained his intention to make games—real experiences—where people can compete against each other. He also commented that he was interested in not only developing games based on nonfungible tokens, or NFTs, but also the Metaverse and is planning to use the technologies as a great weapon. Itagaki believes it is vital to embrace the changes and take on the new challenges inherent in blockchain technology.

Obi Wan Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars
Mr T Crying GIF

Ezquimacore

Banned
I had hopes. I guess he needs money and it is what it is. Wanted: Dead looks like the next big thing then... And hopefully Ninja Gaiden 4........... One day.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Set up to fail. Man, this guy is so behind, with his way of thinking. However, in the same vein, companies with similar mindsets think this is the wave of the future. Maybe it is, but I have yet to see anyone put out a product that will utilize these technologies without discouraging the customer before things even get off the ground.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sad news. He's had a really rough hand dealt to him when he didn't deserve it. Abandoned by THQ and Microsoft.

Hopefully this is just some investor sales pitch BS. Still always down for Itagaki stuff but NFT is bullshit. Maybe he'll realize that after the feedback he gets from this.

Last edited:
I think everyone blames and get angry about NFT but until now all the NFT games were a major nothing. I would love to see a high quality NFT game to see what is this thing in action so we have better idea and subsequently to dismiss it or accept it. But for the moment there is only announcements after announcements without any substance.

splattered

Yeah that game really looks like... something. Ugh. All the old greats seem to be falling into this stuff as a last ditch effort to stay relevant instead of just sticking to enhancing what made them legends in the first place. Sad to see.

Rykan

I love how this thread is going to be filled with "how the mighty have fallen" because people refuse to come to the realization that video games are not made by one person. He was part of a very talented team.

Liamario

Banned
Wow, how the mighty have fallen. I can't believe folks are still clinging on to anything NFT. Especially as something business or entertainment related. Jesus Christ please let it go, lmao.
He hasn't been mighty in 15 years and even that was mixed reviews. He's irrelevant before this and he's still irrelevant now.

MiguelItUp

He hasn't been mighty in 15 years and even that was mixed reviews. He's irrelevant before this and he's still irrelevant now.
While you're not wrong, he was also a fairly well known figure in video games, and continues to be. I don't think I'd go so far as to saying he's "irrelevant", people still know him by name and recognize him or this thread wouldn't exist.

Liamario

Banned
While you're not wrong, he was also a fairly well known figure in video games, and continues to be. I don't think I'd go so far as to saying he's "irrelevant", people still know him by name and recognize him or this thread wouldn't exist.
He's irrelevant when he has produced nothing of relevance in recent years

Is this really same genius who made Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox?
He's not the first "genius" to fail when going independent.

maxresdefault.jpg

If this next game fails I think it's time to admit that Itagaki isn't good enough without his DoA/NG team. After a few early missteps, they now seem to be doing fine without him.

maxresdefault.jpg

If this next game fails I think it's time to admit that Itagaki isn't good enough without his DoA/NG team. After a few early missteps, they now seem to be doing fine without him.
Oh god.... don't remind me of Keji Inafune.

His ego is so inflated that if he climbed up to it and then dropped down to his IQ. He would end up killing himself.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I had hopes. I guess he needs money and it is what it is. Wanted: Dead looks like the next big thing then... And hopefully Ninja Gaiden 4........... One day.
The developer of Wanted: Dead, Soliel, started out in the mobile space as well. If we ever hope to have a big AAA action-adventure game from Itagaki again, in this day and age, this is probably the only path. There must be some Chinese venture capital involved as well, as Apex Game Studios already has over 100 employees with offices in Japan and Singapore.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, I can't believe he still has celebrity status after only making 2 good games 15+ years ago.

Anyone that jumps into this NFT scam shit is dead to me anyways.

Dude is a relic from a bygone era, a has-been rockstar that was on top of the world for a very short time but hasn't been able to reproduce his own success ever since. Kinda sad, honestly.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This man is the perfect example of the actions of Karma.

In his Golden Age, he made quality video games like DOA and Ninja Gaiden, he was very successful and his name was popular, his arrogance and his EGO took him very far to mistreat his staff, Then Devils Third came and karma hit him Lasted.

From being a video game personality, he is now dedicated to making low-quality games.

karma does exist

Dude is a relic from a bygone era, a has-been rockstar that was on top of the world for a very short time but hasn't been able to reproduce his own success ever since. Kinda sad, honestly.
Man, I can't believe he still has celebrity status after only making 2 good games 15+ years ago.

Anyone that jumps into this NFT scam shit is dead to me anyways.
What's a term similar to One Hit Wonder where someone makes about 4-5ish great titles and then suddenly makes bad products, bad business decisions, and fades into obscurity? There are a few movie directors who have done this too.

What's a term similar to One Hit Wonder where someone makes about 4-5ish great titles and then suddenly makes bad products, bad business decisions, and fades into obscurity? There are a few movie directors who have done this too.

Movies aren't really the same because the director has (in general) more control over the end product

But also, other than Ninja Gaiden Black (and maybe DOA if you're into that kind of thing (I mean fighting games not boobies)) who cares about Itagaki. Ninja Gaiden 2 sucked. Since that game in 2008 he was the director of Devil's Third and the "supreme advisor" for a Samurai Jack game. His name doesn't have enough weight to sell an NFT project to gamers lol

I do like his attitude though

Itagaki has consistently given harsh opinions on Namco's Tekken games, mainly due to his grudge against the company for its insulting radio commercial on his Dead or Alive game. He has stated he never forgets an insult to his family, and will retaliate with "nuclear missiles more than 100 times for that".[3] This along with what he views as Tekken's stagnation in the fighting game genre (starting from Tekken 4), led him to condemn the Tekken series, placing it as his top five hated games,[18] in spite of him stating Tekken, Tekken 2, and Tekken 3 were good games which his family enjoyed.[3]

Shifty

Fuck me dude.

Team Ninja burying NG with a terrible threequel, forgetting their roots, and settling into a comfy Soulslike niche - that's Ninja Dog behaviour.

But this? They don't make a ninja rank demeaning enough to describe it.

season 5 episode 3 GIF by BBC Three

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

maxresdefault.jpg

Inafune is a total disappointment as a person, I met him in person and he is a liar and a thief. I loved Megaman, but the attitudes let me down.

Kacho

lmfao

Untitled.png

this is real and not a scam btw. You'd have to be crazy to think that
LOL

Can't help but laugh at this. The first half of the year was companies putting out feelers for NFT horseshit and after people rejected it they backed off almost immediately.

Then comes Itagaki and his crew months late, all like "yo you guys like NFTs?" I just can't. hahaha

Ninja scamden.

He's so excited for all the hookers and blow he thinks he'll get from this.

Honestly it's sad, the first 2 ninja garden games are special.

Darchaos

Crypto and nft:s just need to go and die, that is all. I even played some NFt:s games like: Lost Relic, Immersys, Blockchain RPG. To get an understanding, but its just junk, pure shit!

This guy was so full of hubris. I remember his interviews back in the day where he was way up his own ass talking about being like a fighter pilot flying solo in the sky.
But it was fun while it lasted, and DOA3 remains the most fun I ever had with a fighting game as a casual. Ninja Gaiden kicked my ass, but was rewarding.

At least Kojima still makes games as big as crazy as his ego, and Keiichiro Toyama is quietly making another cool horror game that already looks kinda Silent Hill.

Top Bottom