• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tool is basically the personification of the word "boomer"

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Literally 100% of their fanbase consists of boomers and as a millennial, I can't be bothered listening to their boomer music.

Everything about that band screams "Boomer" to me, personally. Just look at their latest album's cover art:
image.jpg

This shit reeks of boomerism and middle-aged sensibilities
ifrfr2w_1.png

The biggest proof, however, is that some of their biggest fans include Papa Papa and @PKM, two of the biggest boomers on GAF.

What more can I say, GAF?
5wZdQMI.png

You cotton picking whipper snappers!!

Lol, it's cool Tools not for everyone.

And to be honest they arent my favorite band. More like #3 or 4.

My true boomer faves..

Ixion

Since it was a 13-year gap before their new album, people didn't really know how Tool would fit in with the current music world. They finally came out with a new album last year, and the new album was very inspired by classic 1970s prog, such as the long song structures, the more prominent synth usage, and the fuzzy classic rock guitar tone. So that's why those people who constantly say the word "Boomer" have taken a more negative turn against the band in the last year.

Last edited:

desertdroog

I like that Maynard Keenan has put his money and talents to making wine in my state. I have been to his Oesteria in Jerome and enjoyed the wine collaborations he has done in in Bisbee with AZ Stronghold Vineyards. I'm not a Tool fan, and I get the feeling that Maynard is also not a Tool fan. He does it, reluctantly to keep the money flowing as needed and the rabid fan base from going full Juggalo. The time between album releases gives his group enough hope to keep the flame alive, but with so irregular releases, they never achieve that bright star of fervor to cause any real social damage.

Every interview he has, he always seems cagey about Tool, in particular. And let's not dick around, if you want metal and weed, give Orange Goblin, Sleep, Fu Manchu, Electric Wizard or The Sword a listen. You will forget all about Tool, I am sure.

Last edited:
Great replies so far!

As some of you may know, this thread was somewhat of a joke thread. However, I still had my doubts about the band and realized why not make a thread about them?

I hope my OP didn't offend you guys too much, it was a bit mean-spirited now when I look back at it (I did this thread after midnight lol).

I'll give Tool's discography some listens and follow up with my thoughts on this thread in the near future.

highrider

Banned
Man I’m 52 and kind of assume I’m older than everyone, but I’m Gen-X although if just any random old guy is a boomer now I guess I’ll see myself out.

As an aside, I find Tool depressing and generally vibe killing. I want the best for white people, Tool just makes us look weird and disturbing.

daveonezero

Banned
Man I’m 52 and kind of assume I’m older than everyone, but I’m Gen-X although if just any random old guy is a boomer now I guess I’ll see myself out.

As an aside, I find Tool depressing and generally vibe killing. I want the best for white people, Tool just makes us look weird and disturbing.
Check out Wardruna, Eivor and other Scandinavian bad ass artists.

Dark Star

I've always tried to get into Tool but it has never clicked for me. Dunno why. I do like Pneuma from their latest album however.

They are often compared to Meshuggah and I don't see why really, they're like nothing alike to be honest.

I'm a huge fan of Meshuggah, Gojira, etc. Those bands sound nothing like Tool lol. Not even in the same genre of music.

Same thing with Deftones. People compare them to Tool all the time, just because they kind of came up around the same time/same Cali music scene/etc. But they have more of a post-metal/alternative-rock kind of sound, whereas Tool is pretty much progressive-metal/alternative-hard-rock.

And this song exists :

Either way, I'm a pretty big fan of a Tool. I've been listening to them since like 2009. I own a couple Tool shirts and all of their albums on CD. But I can agree that most of their fanbase is kind of "neckbeard". They always belittle newcomers in the YouTube comments sections of Tool videos, and they really think they're on another wave-length of intelligence because they have a psychedelic Alex Grey painting as their PC desktop background lol.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Tool rocks. I've been hooked since I was 10 when I first saw the Prison Sex video.

E1Dgrj1.jpg

I love how it’s always millennials and other young dumb kids that complain about Tool nowadays🤣

ERRRGH THESE SONGS ERRRGH WHERE ARE MY CHICKEN NUGGETS MOM

Go listen to your ADHD agoraphobe fudgepackin Imagine Dragons bullshit then 🤣
Gen X and boomers are so fucking cringe. You guys act like millennials and gen z are the ones whining about everything but you're just as bad as them.

desertdroog

By the way Tool fans, don't take my previous post as a total slight against you. I can see the appeal Tool has and in particular if you grew up with them. Music can be a strong marker for a time and place and evoke great memories. They aren't my bag, and I just wanted to give an observation based on interviews Maynard has given and how he talks of the band when asked about it, particularly in his later years.

I listen to music that surely rubs others the wrong way, so I get it. Enjoy it if you do and thanks for letting me rib you Tool fans...all three of you.

;)

Dark Star

People like to hate on Tool mostly because of Maynard, but they're forgetting that the rest of the band consists of some really amazing artists.

Like, Adam Jones is responsible for some of your favorite movies :

Jurassic Park

urtn6l90chj31.jpg

Terminator 2

38183_1_ver1450895620.jpg

And ... Predator 2, Nightmare on Elm Street, Edward Scissorhands, Dances with Wolves, Ghostbusters 2, Return of the Living Dead, Pet Sematary, Batman Returns, etc.

Last edited:
Tool is awful and their fans are insufferable (this one guy once kept going on about how amazing they were for making an album to some fucking math algorithm) but the bastardisation of the word boomer is ridiculous.

boomers are ancient now. Tool is a late gen x / early millennial fan base primarily. I was born in 84 and heaps of my school was into this fucking band

lock2k

Banned
Tool is awful and their fans are insufferable (this one guy once kept going on about how amazing they were for making an album to some fucking math algorithm) but the bastardisation of the word boomer is ridiculous.

boomers are ancient now. Tool is a late gen x / early millennial fan base primarily. I was born in 84 and heaps of my school was into this fucking band
Born in 83. No one in my school even knew of Tool. They were into Offspring and Green Day. lol

It's Jeff

Banned
Oh no, so much wasted energy. Any derision for "boomer" music should be saved for Rush.

This version has pretentious lyrics that you can follow along with if you haven't stabbed your eyes and ears in protest.

brap

Banned
Oh no, so much wasted energy. Any derision for "boomer" music should be saved for Rush.

This version has pretentious lyrics that you can follow along with if you haven't stabbed your eyes and ears in protest.

Rush is unironically better than Tool
WE ARE THE PRIESTS
OF THE TEMPLE
OF SYRINX
ahh4.png

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So outside of the obvious baiting Tool fans to make them cry or get banned... For real when is Tool gonna drop the "Apology for the Apology album."

Kagey K

Banned
Thank you. I wish people would stop using "Boomer" for generations that are not actually that.
I’ve made this argument a few dozen times already. The internet doesn’t listen.

Accept It and move on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom