• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 Video Games with the best stories!

RAIDEN1

Great video showcasing some legendary games that had fantastic story lines, from Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect 2, to Portal 2 to name but a few!

samoilaaa

i respect their opinion but the story in the last of us and god of war was nothing special for me personally , the way the story was told was the thing that got me hooked , its true that not many studios have the talent for storytelling as naughty dog or santa monica but there are games with way better story like soma , detroit become human , outer wilds and some games on that list have a better plot

RAIDEN1

i respect their opinion but the story in the last of us and god of war was nothing special for me personally , the way the story was told was the thing that got me hooked , its true that not many studios have the talent for storytelling as naughty dog or santa monica but there are games with way better story like soma , detroit become human , outer wilds and some games on that list have a better plot
I've never played God of War so all being well I'll soon see what all the fuss has been about since 2018...

intbal

The worst kind of list to make.
Especially in video games. Gamer appreciation for stories and storytelling is highly individual.
But, hey, content is content, amirite Mojo?

Markio128

I did and sort of regreted it. Its a good game, but damn its severely overrated.
GIF by Desus & Mero

Bragr

Banned
It feels like the sort of list someone makes by googling "games with stories" rather than any thought behind it.

Here is the list:

20. Chrono Trigger (1995)
19. Celeste (2018)
18. Grim Fandango (1998)
17. Final Fantasy IX (2000)
16. Mass Effect 2 (2010)
15. Portal 2 (2011)
14. Spec Ops: The Line (2012)
13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
12. Disco Elysium (2019)
11. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004)
10. Nier: Automata (2017)
9. Undertale (2015)
8. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (2016)
7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
6. Silent Hill 2 (2001)
5. Bioshock (2007)
4. The Walking Dead: Season One (2012)
3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)
2. God of War (2018)
1. The Last of Us (2013)

Last edited:

Onironauta

Most games just have passable stories, and that's ok. It's a game after all.
Games like Dead Rising for instance, don't require deep and complex stories since it's intentionally B-movie tier.

I think Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are probably one of the few games that had pretty good plots.
Presentation is key in video games. Even games with bad stories are lauded as good because of a good presentation.

NOW SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT VIDEO

UNDERTALE?
CELESTE?
MASS EFFECT?
LAST OF US?
WALKING DEAD?

Cracking Up Lol GIF
Agreed, ICO and SotC stand out because their narration is about "show, don't tell". They don't try to be movies or novels. The plots are minimalistic but also filled with evocative lore.

Madflavor

Having watched the video, you may disagree with the placement, which is a normal reaction, but there's nothing to get upset or cringe over. As far as "Top Video Game" lists go, this is definitely one of the least offensive ones I've come across.

Mozzarella

I already knew this list is casualized and mainstream and im ready to accept that, but i still think God of War 2018 is way WAY too high.

SOMA is the best story in a videogame ever.

Post your top 5 story games GAF.

I have to think about it, as i think there is difference here some games use different methods of Storytelling like Outer Wilds and Pathologic while others are more cinematic.
In this top 5 i will stick to traditional storytelling so Outer Wilds and Pathologic are excluded although they are amazing.

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone - It's a Deal (Gaunter O'Dimm Music Mix) -  YouTube
Suikoden 2 arrives on PSN tomorrow for $9.99 (update) - Polygon
Derek Bowman on Planescape: Torment - Aesthetics for Birds
What is the difference between Kotor 1 and 2?

The Safe Mode in 'Soma' Is a Solution for Fear-Averse Gamers - The Ringer

Last edited:

Crew511A

Halo Reach was the first Halo game I ever played. I went in completely blind, not even knowing the first thing about the franchise. It was free for Games with Gold, and I was bored.

Needless to say, there were some shocking moments. I still love that game.

Doom85

It feels like the sort of list someone makes by googling "games with stories" rather than any thought behind it.

Here is the list:

19. Celeste (2018)
18. Grim Fandango (1998)
16. Mass Effect 2 (2010)
15. Portal 2 (2011)
12. Disco Elysium (2019)
9. Undertale (2015)
6. Silent Hill 2 (2001)
5. Bioshock (2007)
2. God of War (2018)
1. The Last of Us (2013)

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

While I’ve not played anywhere all of them on this list, for Watchmojo (who often make baffling choices) that’s actually pretty good. Hell yeah to FF IX. KOTOR, sure. Nier Automata, fuck yes. Undertale does suffer from the fandom being obnoxious, but it is a really fun and charming tale. Even though Silent Hill 3 is my favorite (due to being the scariest to me and other factors), but I agree story-wise 2 is the best. I’d give Bioshock Infinite the edge in story, but 1 is still great as well. Tales from the Borderlands is my favorite TellTale game, but Walking Dead Season 1 did have the better story. I don’t know about God of War 2018, best story of the series but wouldn’t make my top 20. And TLOU had me gripped from start to finish with its story and cast.

Death Stranding I’d put on the list, but maybe they keep it to one entry per franchise and/or head writer, so they went with MGS 3, which I haven’t played but heard nothing but praise for its story, so fair enough.

The_hunter

I already knew this list is casualized and mainstream and im ready to accept that, but i still think God of War 2018 is way WAY too high.

I have to think about it, as i think there is difference here some games use different methods of Storytelling like Outer Wilds and Pathologic while others are more cinematic.
In this top 5 i will stick to traditional storytelling so Outer Wilds and Pathologic are excluded although they are amazing.

The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone - It's a Deal (Gaunter O'Dimm Music Mix) -  YouTube's a Deal (Gaunter O'Dimm Music Mix) -  YouTube
Suikoden 2 arrives on PSN tomorrow for $9.99 (update) - Polygon
Derek Bowman on Planescape: Torment - Aesthetics for Birds
What is the difference between Kotor 1 and 2?

The Safe Mode in 'Soma' Is a Solution for Fear-Averse Gamers - The Ringer'Soma' Is a Solution for Fear-Averse Gamers - The Ringer
Patrician taste.

NOW SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT VIDEO

UNDERTALE?
CELESTE?
MASS EFFECT?
LAST OF US?
WALKING DEAD?

Cracking Up Lol GIF
UNDERTALE: Feel-good friend simulator
CELESTE: Feel-good depression simulator
MASS EFFECT: Actually great...except for how it ends, of course
LAST OF US: Feel-good & bad father/daughter simulator
WALKING DEAD: Feel bad father/daughter simulator

Shut0wen

Last of us imo was a very bland story with great characters, last good game imo that had a decent story was xenoblade chronicles and control

RAIDEN1

For me Grim Fandango was nowhere near as good as Full Throttle...the 3d style of the graphics would have looked better I think in a style more akin to Monkey Island 3

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Final Fantasy IX ?

Oh, fuck right off with that. One of the weakest narratives of the entire series.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Here is the list:

19. Celeste (2018)
18. Grim Fandango (1998)
16. Mass Effect 2 (2010)
15. Portal 2 (2011)
12. Disco Elysium (2019)
9. Undertale (2015)
6. Silent Hill 2 (2001)
5. Bioshock (2007)
2. God of War (2018)
1. The Last of Us (2013)
Yeah, that's a no from me dog. It's basically all western games going for realism. I guess that's just what this guy likes.

Top Bottom