• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top PlayStation executive predicts focus will ‘shift from graphics to immersive narratives’

Asad-Qizilbash-a-768x449.jpg

Sony used its corporate strategy meeting on Thursday to present its “Creative Entertainment Vision,” which it describes as its long-term vision for where it “wants to be in 10 years, with an eye towards future technological advances”.

In an interview published to coincide with today’s event, Asad Qizilbash, the head of PlayStation Productions and head of product at PlayStation Studios, was asked to provide his predictions for where gaming’s headed.

“In terms of gaming’s future, I envision games becoming more personalised due to advances in technology and AI, enabling customized experiences for each player,” he said.
“Moreover, technological advancements will enhance emotional depth in games by allowing characters to be much more emotive and expressive, fostering more evocative storytelling.

“That’s going to help a whole generation of creators be able to just create so much more emotion in the stories. The focus is going to shift from graphics or visuals to immersive narratives that resonate long after the controller is set down.”

Qizilbash, who’s tasked with transforming PlayStation’s gaming brands into global entertainment franchises, also said AI will enable the creation of “more personalised experiences and meaningful stories”.

“For instance, NPCs (Non Player Characters) in games could interact with players based on their actions, making it feel more personal.

StereoVsn

M'lord, I see that you're hoarding 58 health potions. Why the fuck?

My copilot friend, it is well known that any RPG connoisseur must have their bags full of health potions, ethers, and other alchemical implements “just in case” when facing the end boss, because what if you need those 100 herbs during Phase 3 of the “Final Firm”! 😉

SoloCamo

This generation, graphics have finally reached the point where the financial costs of pursuing graphic fidelity outweigh the return on investment. In short, gameplay is king

I used to be a graphics snob but at this point we are in the good enough realm. Just keep the images clean (good anti aliasing) and the texture resolutions high/crisp with a focus on solid gameplay and I'm sold.

coolmast3r

How about we shift focus from graphics/narratives to actual gameplay? If I need "more immersive narratives", I will pick up a book or go watch a movie/tv show. When I play games I want to experience the best gameplay systems possible with current technology, not a piece of software that isn't fun gameplay wise but "tells an immersive story".

Gameplay first, everything else follows.

onQ123

onQ123

How about we shift focus from graphics/narratives to actual gameplay? If I need "more immersive narratives", I will pick up a book or go watch a movie/tv show. When I play games I want to experience the best gameplay systems possible with current technology, not a piece of software that isn't fun gameplay wise but "tells an immersive story".

Gameplay first, everything else follows.

But that is gameplay

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean I’d love less of a focus on graphics and more actual immersive aspects. I’m not “immersed” personally when I watch cutscenes or have to walk and talk forever between missions though which so many people love.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The AI quote is hilarious. These people are so delusional. No one wants to interact with an AI. We play games to experience what a human artist intended. If that artist programmed an npc response that he felt enhanced the experience then great. if the artist delegated it to a computer then fuck you.

feynoob

Gold Member
The AI quote is hilarious. These people are so delusional. No one wants to interact with an AI. We play games to experience what a human artist intended. If that artist programmed an npc response that he felt enhanced the experience then great. if the artist delegated it to a computer then fuck you.
Anything to save costs.

StereoVsn

Good.

Tired of cookie cutter stories. Make me feel something. Make me think about your game after I put it down.
Time for this medium to realize its potential
Oh boy, does Microsoft have a product (family) for you! Just go to Bing, click on Co-Pilot and start conversing. It can even generate some images for more cinematic conversations! 😉😂😂😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The dream is dead:

Top PlayStation executive predicts focus will ‘shift from graphics to immersive narratives’​

“Moreover, technological advancements will enhance emotional depth in games by allowing characters to be much more emotive and expressive, fostering more evocative storytelling.

“That’s going to help a whole generation of creators be able to just create so much more emotion in the stories. The focus is going to shift from graphics or visuals to immersive narratives that resonate long after the controller is set down.”

more 60 fps cross gen trash coming our way.

I think most people would rather reaction rather than interaction regarding AI.

Proper dynamic crowd reaction to the player in games like GTA would work really well.

StereoVsn

“For instance, NPCs (Non Player Characters) in games could interact with players based on their actions, making it feel more personal.

So with Sony and Sweet Baby teaming up, your character will now get cancelled by NPCs if they don’t approve of what you’re doing.
Ooh, now I want to see this happen just to watch the mayhem.

images

tmlDan

I think we could all see this, we're getting to a point where good graphics don't add much tot he experience. Narrative and gameplay is where the focus will be.

Also, remember, this guy is the sony game movie guy, he doesn't work in the game division, technically.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Wish he said "Immersive simulations".

Then the 0451 games are finally going mainstream baby!

Edit: If 'immersive Narrative' means more Hellblade 2 type stuff? 7 years development for a visually incredible but frustratingly limited/linear 6 hour ride? Hard pass, thanks.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
We “shifted” from graphics to nonsense a long time ago. PS3/360 era was last time I noticed a decent leap graphically. Today’s games are ps4 level graphics with better frames/rez.

Top Bottom