• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Selling NDS Games in Japan

AniHawk

ethelred said:
Hate to bump an old thread, but with the top 100 of 2007 having come out, I've gone and updated the first and second posts in this thread. In the first post, I've added the additional >100k sellers, and in the second I've added a number of additional series comparisons (as well as updating the platinum list, which went from 16 to 21 in the span of a few months; wow).

Anyway, figured some people might be interested so there you go.

Appreciate all the work you've done, but you might want to recheck the million-seller-by-console part. The Wii has 4 million sellers now, and the PSP has 2. Sorry to nitpick.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Interesting that you say PH and YI 2 still have chances at 1 million. Is there any reason why?

Also where did you get your data for the NES million sellers?

Eteric Rice

It's amazing when even the scraps third parties are fighting over are very profitable.

Nintendo rules with an iron fist, but the DS seems to have room for everyone.

Kenka

Sorry to ask that but what source did you use for the Love 'n Berry numbers ? I don't remind having seen them earlier this year in the Famitsu top.

dock

This is great, thank-you so much!

I've printed out the first five pages of this thread and I'm enjoying going over the numbers.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Which games that came out in the 2nd half of 2007 sold over or came close to sell 1 million?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vic said:
Which games that came out in the 2nd half of 2007 sold over or came close to sell 1 million?

MP DS, DQ IV, Pokemon MD 2

Also isnt that Layton 1 number off? I thought it was at 792k?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Realistically, there are five games on that list that could make a million:
- Layton 2 will hit a million if it displays any legs at all.
- Zelda: PH will hit a million
- Yoshi's Island DS could hit a million.
- Jump Ultimate Stars has an outside shot if it's not replaced by another Jump game, since JUS basically killed JSS.
- Layton 1 has an outside outside chance of hitting a million if it keeps the ridiculous legs it's had past the release of Layton 3.

farnham

Banned
DS passing the NES... probably not

DS passing PSX ... I guess it will.. it still has 2~3 years in its lifecycle..

Nintendo will probably do one more Pokemon Remake (makes one guaranteed millionseller)

Square Enix will publish DQ V, VI and XI (maybe even VII) which will likely all pass one million... maybe one more DQM... FF remakes.. well we have to see how FF IV does.. but its probable that there will be more in the line..

Capcom... Monster Hunter DS..? I see probabilities here..

Sega.. uh... love and berry 2.. no forget it..

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm usually not much interested in sales numbers, but the ones in this thread seriously blows my mind. I'm glad to have a DS.

New Super Mario Bros. is a juggernaut. Outside of the Pokemon titles, the only other game to clear 5 million in Japan was the original Super Mario Bros.

farnham

Banned
why did you combine the two skus of pokemon mysterious dungeon 2 and didn't combine the two skus of pokemon mysterious dungeon 1 ?

ethelred

AniHawk said:
Appreciate all the work you've done, but you might want to recheck the million-seller-by-console part. The Wii has 4 million sellers now, and the PSP has 2. Sorry to nitpick.

Ah, yeah. Forgot to update that. Fixed. Though PSP is unfortunately still at just 1, as far as I can tell -- doesn't look like MHP1 passed the million mark officially.

HK-47 said:
Interesting that you say PH and YI 2 still have chances at 1 million. Is there any reason why?

Because I've found it's wise to not underestimate the sales potential of Nintendo's DS games, even a year after they've been released. I wouldn't put even money on the two of them passing that threshold, but they're close enough that I sure wouldn't rule it out.

Stumpokapow said:
Realistically, there are five games on that list that could make a million:

I don't think there's any shot for Jump Ultimate Stars, but I agree the possibility/probability exists for the two Layton games, Zelda, and Yoshi. There are also a few non-games that have a good chance, like Flash Focus.

farnham said:
why did you combine the two skus of pokemon mysterious dungeon 2 and didn't combine the two skus of pokemon mysterious dungeon 1 ?

Durrrr.

Code:
NES	40		N64	11
PSX	31		GBA	4
SNES	29		Wii	4
GB	25		SAT	1
PS2	22		PSP	1
NDS	21		GCN	1
I thought that the NES has 38 millionsellers.

Some titles may have the wrong title [Google Translate ^^]
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 3
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest IV
Super Mario 2
Golf
Dragon Quest II
Baseball
Mah-Jong
R. B. I. Baseball
Volleyball
Tetris
The Legend of Zelda
Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda II: Link´s Adventure
Family prof. baseball stadium´88 [?]
Excitebike
Tennis
Soccer
Dr. Mario
Formula One
Ninja Hattori-kun [?]
Dragon Quest
Devil World
Pro Wrestling
Kung Fu Master
Final Fantasy III
Family prof. baseball stadium´87 [?]
Xevious
Ninja Kid
Dragon Power
Doraemon
Road Runner
NES Jump Hero
Kid Icarus
Kinnikuman [?]
Adventure Island
Metroid

Anything missing?

Neomoto

Yeah the DS is rocking. And it didn't even had a particularly strong 2007 year million seller wise I mean.

DS has still quite a bit of killer apps coming, that we already know of anyway, that will (potentially) be million sellers in Japan.

3rd Pokemon version
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Kirby Ultra Super Star
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Yoshi's Island 2?
New main Pokemon?
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games?

And I'm sure Nintendo has a few unannounced big DS titles in the works as we speak that they'll hopefully announce soon.

TJ Spyke

Could the OP make 2 lists? One with the correct sales info (i.e. not combing Pokemon games together) I would like to see where Diamond and Pearl actually rank, same with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

donny2112

TJ Spyke said:
One with the correct sales info

:lol

TJ Spyke said:
I would like to see where Diamond and Pearl actually rank, same with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

This list is using Famitsu data, which is multiple times over available in a more complete form than Media-Create data. Why does that matter for your question? Famitsu combines those games when they list the sales, while Media-Create does not.

ksamedi

So Ethelred, are you planning to do a PSP equivalent of this? It would be nice to see what kind of games are selling on the PSP for a change.

ethelred

TJ Spyke said:
Could the OP make 2 lists? One with the correct sales info (i.e. not combing Pokemon games together) I would like to see where Diamond and Pearl actually rank, same with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

The sales info is correct, and simultaneously released dual-SKU games are combined, precisely as they should be. And no, the OP will not be making a separate list.

TJ Spyke

ethelred said:
The sales info is correct, and simultaneously released dual-SKU games are combined, precisely as they should be. And no, the OP will not be making a separate list.

Why do you think different games should be combined for sales info? I don't mind looking at this list, I am just curious as to where Diamond and Pearl actually rank. New Super Mario Bros. is the top selling DS game, but are Diamond or Pearl #2?

ksamedi

TJ Spyke said:
Why do you think different games should be combined for sales info? I don't mind looking at this list, I am just curious as to where Diamond and Pearl actually rank. New Super Mario Bros. is the top selling DS game, but are Diamond or Pearl #2?
There not different, just some different Pokemon in the versions. Its stupid to count them as seperate.

TJ Spyke

They are different enough to count them separately. To say otherwise is like saying Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black/Ninja Gaiden Sigma should all be counted as 1 game (for example). IMO, it's stupid to say that "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl" is the top selling game in Japan when its two games.

ethelred

TJ Spyke said:

If you'll take a look at the list, you'll see that New Super Mario Bros. is only the second best selling DS game.

If Ninja Gaiden, Black, and Sigma all came out on the same day on the same system with the same content and same visuals, they'd be the same game, too.

I just took the time to read through the first two posts and Im still in amazement at how well the DS software has done in its short lifetime. Nice job ethelred (on the thread, not the sales).

Jokeropia

TJ Spyke said:
They are different enough to count them separately. To say otherwise is like saying Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black/Ninja Gaiden Sigma should all be counted as 1 game (for example). IMO, it's stupid to say that "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl" is the top selling game in Japan when its two games.
The ONLY difference between the two versions is a small amount of unique Pokemons, which you can get through trading anyway. There are much bigger differences in for example limited edition SKU's of other games.

ksamedi

TJ Spyke said:

Remakes or added content can change a game but Diamond and Pearl are not different in there content. Some Pokemon are swapped out with other Pokemon thats all. Its done to encourage Pokemon trading between the different versions. I don't see why they should be counted as different versions. But I recall that Pearl sold substantially worse than Diamond.

ksamedi

OliveJuice said:
Anyone think that the success of Mario Party is, in part, due to the multiplayer of NSMB?

I think its a combination of the popularity of the DS, the DS being played by everyone and word of mouth. Its an excelent party game.

ksamedi said:
I think its a combination of the popularity of the DS, the DS being played by everyone and word of mouth. Its an excelent party game.
I was thinking that since NSMB is so popular, and the mini-games are very similar to the Mario Party mini-games, people might have looked at Mario party and said "Hey, I liked the mini-games in NSMB, so maybe this will be good as well". In no way do I believe that is the main reason for the sales, but word of mouth could have helped.

jts

...hate me...
Super Mario Kart SNES 3,820,000¹
Mario Kart DS NDS 2,695,428
Mario Kart 64 N64 1,711,661
Mario Kart Advance GBA 938,175
Mario Kart Double Dash GCN 825,894

This is what amazes me the most. Mario Kart Super Circuit was a great game and the GBA was a VERY successful console, so what happened to have only sold 100k more than the GC (a very underperforming system)? And furthermore, seeing how MKDS is doing...

Or are the Japanese into the online thing after all?

Top Bottom