• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between building a new gaming PC or a PS4.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have all the parts for a new PC lined up, which would cost me around $1200. On the other hand, PS4 is a much cheaper alternative and has console exclusives that really interest me, plus all the PC games I would end up getting ayway. I will end up getting PS4 at some point - the only thing that made me seriously consider PC is the impending death of my current laptop. I've never been a big PC gamer, but maybe now is the time to switch?

So, GAF, can you sell me on one or the other?

Also, nobody say XBO - I don't plan to get one anytime soon.

Freki

PC has one big advantage over PS4 - a massive backlog of games you can get pretty cheap most of the time.
+
If your laptop is dying you'll need a replacement anyways ;-)

Get a PS4 in one or two years when it'll be worth it for the exclusives alone - only reason I am getting one day one is my craving for new tech toys :-D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you built a PC, how long would you need to wait to get a PS4? (Presumably you'd want one at least for exclusive PS4 stuff?)

I'd you could pick one up end of next years then I'd go with the PC now.

Alternatively, build a PC for $800 that can play current or older games well, and you can upgrade the GPU in a couple of years. Then buy a PS4 too

PS4 now.

PC in a year or two.

Games will not be getting any more advanced than what the PS4/Xbone generation can achieve. So no point buying hardware 10x as powerful for 10x the cost.

Wait a year or two where you can buy a PC with 10x the power for only 2x the cost. Or a PC with 100x the power for 10x the cost.

The dawn of a new console generation is the worst time to buy a PC.

hemtae

Do you need to buy everything for a PC? If not, then try to knock that down so you can get both.

The price for an equivalent PC to the one you're building will also go down faster than a PS4 will.

I've been considering it too, mostly because I want to play TitanFall and I don't want an XBOX One.

Honestly though, from the sound of your OP, it doesn't seem like you're interested in PC exclusives, so why drop all that money? Get a PS4 with a bunch of games for half of the cost of your PC and enjoy yourself!

sunnz

Getting games a lot cheaper, much larger library overall ( yes, most are indie but some are great) and MODSSSS.

PC is the way to go.

The only problem I have with with PC gaming is that you can run into hackers more often compared to console gaming. Not too often though, depending on the game.

But you should defiantly save up ( or just get a less expensive PC, I mean for $800 you can still get a decently powerful PC and a ps4 and not miss out on the exclusives)

brandnew

Go with the nice PC if you're willing to spend that money. That high cost is what's keeping me out of PC gaming (I can't bring myself to settle for a PC for less than ~$1000). Just make sure you get a PS4 at some point like you said you will.

Famassu

Get a PS4. It will run multiplatforms that arrive to PC too perfectly well without too many compromises to visual fidelity for a while plus you won't be missing out on potentially awesome console exclusives like inFamous, Rime and whatever Naughty Dog & SCEA Santa Monica & other SCEWW studios will work on during PS4's lifetime.

And you won't even be missing out on the indie scene nowadays, what's with Sony embracing the indie scene. Seems like a big portion of them are coming to PS4.

f0nz0

I have a ps4 preordered.. Can I upgrade my pc to specs that will match or trump ps4 performance for the same price? Keep in mind I already have a tower, psu and monitor..so basically I need

CPU
Motherboard
Ram
Video card

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Do you like playing with a controller or KB+M?

If controller do you play online shooters? If you do then PS4 is only option. If not toss a coin.

I have all the parts for a new PC lined up, which would cost me around $1200. On the other hand, PS4 is a much cheaper alternative and has console exclusives that really interest me, plus all the PC games I would end up getting ayway. I will end up getting PS4 at some point - the only thing that made me seriously consider PC is the impending death of my current laptop. I've never been a big PC gamer, but maybe now is the time to switch?

You answered your own question.

dmr87

Buy a PC now, PS4 later. You can play titles like BF4, Watch Dogs etc on PC and the PS4 launch line-up may or may not interest you.

(If you can't afford both at the same time)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The price and convenience of a set top box like PS4 will hold you over well enough on the media and games front. If you have an extra 800~ to blow on a decent PC then go that route. I already have a manly rig and will be getting a PS4 so it's all moot on my porch.

Nabs

Pick up a PC now and a PS4 in a year or so when there are worthy exclusives. Save yourself from spending much during launch window hype.

Bundy

Banned

If "a lot cheaper" and "all these PS4 exclusives" (Naughty Dog, etc.) are important for you -> Get a PS4.
You can play the multiplats anyway.

Kick

Neo Member
Console gaming is cheaper up front, PC gaming is cheaper over time (depending on which hardware and how many games you buy).

A few months ago, I bought a $1400 gaming PC after being a console gamer my whole life. Best gaming decision I ever made. The only caveat to me is you can't play console exclusives.

Timeaisis

It depends on your budget and what the PS4 exclusives do for you.

1. Do any of the PS4 exclusives sound great to you? If yes, is there more than one that your interested in and do they come out during the launch window?
- If yes, PS4 may be right for you.

2. Do you have $1000 - 1500 to spend on a gaming PC? If yes, are you interested in PC games? There are plenty of PC exclusives, remember. Strategy takes the cake there. As well as shooters being more fun (IMO) on them.

My personal opinion if I didn't already have a gaming PC would be:
Go for the gaming PC now. Save up for a PS4 to get sometime in 2014. There are plenty of PC games that will occupy you from now and then, and, assuming you have either a PS3 or X360, you'll be able to keep up with most new games as well.

The End

Don't buy a PC now. Just don't do it.

A $1200 PC you build now may be somewhat more powerful than a PS4, but a PC you build next year or the year after will be monstrously more powerful.

Think of it this way: The PS3 has a GeForce 7800GT as its GPU. Try running multiplatform games on a 7800GT and see how they run, even on minimum settings, compared to the PS3.

Enkidu

You clearly want a PS4, if you buy a PC you're just going to end up regretting it later. Go for a PS4 and then later on if you have money to spare build a nice PC and see if PC gaming is for you.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
The PS4 is the best value by far and you're guaranteed all games will be optimized for YOUR
weak
platform.

I hate playing PC games that don't run at 60fps with vsync enabled because it means I have to wonder if I can make them run better if I tweak the settings this way or that, quit that program or that other, install these beta or custom drivers, etc. etc.

Ain't nobody got time for that! PCs are for the rich and those who don't need a perfect gaming experience, or those who like to tweak things incessantly instead of gaming.

GetemMa

buy a PS4 now,

then new PC in two years.

By then developers will really be stretching their legs on the new hardware and cross gen games will be a thing of the past so games will look a lot better.

Plus, in two years "next gen" graphics cards will be cheaper and it will cost less to get something that can play everything smoothly.

trw

I would get a pc now and ps4 when the price have gone down and there's enough exclusives to justify it. Console launches are never great and there's always a long window between launch and the second batch of good games. No need to hurry up and get it now. Since most games will be multiplatform it makes more sense to buy the best multiplat device now and wait until the exclusives pile up.

sn00zer

Exclusives, exclusives, exclusives
which one has the exclusives you want?

btw I would REALLY hold off on a gaming PC til a year after next gen hits, because you are going to be spending a lot of money right now just to play current gen multiplat, when you might as well wait for next gen multiplat and whatever gfx you are buying now will be cheaper

EDIT: PS4 is no brainer for me, because of Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch and Ill be getting a mid range PC to play games ive missed from this gen

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is there a PS4 launch title that you absolutely positively must have now? I can't possibly fathom what it could be?

Build a PC, get a PS4 later once it has an actual library worth owning.

Doing both. I'm in the same situation. I'll buy the tower and everything,but the mobo, graphic card, and cpu and see if there is a sale later.

PS4 I don't have to worry about that so I'll get that while I'm building a computer piece by piece.

UnrealEck

If you only really want to play the PS4 exclusives then go for it. PC has exclusives too though. Check those out as well.

megamerican

PS4 is pretty much like getting a fairly decent PC that's subsidized by the closed Sony system. PC will be a much better investment in a couple of years from now once the consoles start to age.

Top Bottom