• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torn between building a new gaming PC or a PS4.

dcx4610

It's an interesting time to be a gamer.

PC gaming is going to hit its peak this generation. With more people building gaming rigs and with consoles using the same x86 architecture, virtually every game but exclusives are going to end up on all 3 platforms (sorry Wii U).

If you really care about having the absolute best graphics possible then PC is your answer. This also means you are going to need to spend at least 1k and most likely more to have a quality build.

These days, it's pretty rare to see PC only games so most likely you are going to be seeing console ports to PC and indie games that are also available on consoles.

Another thing to consider is 1080p is still the standard so games are going to run at the same resolution on all 3 formats. Console gaming will also be the closest in terms of power to PC that it has ever been in history. The resolution will be the same and graphically, it will only differ slightly and once programmers get adjusted, the frame rate should also be similar.

My vote is go console. You could literally own both the PS4 and Xbox One for less than the price of a PC build. You wouldn't miss any game release and have the best of both worlds. PC will always have the potential to be graphically superior but this generation the lines are going to be blurred even further and I don't think that the price difference is worth the slightly upgraded visuals.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's an interesting time to be a gamer.

PC gaming is going to hit its peak this generation. With more people building gaming rigs and with consoles using the same x86 architecture, virtually every game but exclusives are going to end up on all 3 platforms (sorry Wii U).
Oculus Rift is only a couple years away at most. Shit is going to change everything man.

If you really care about having the absolute best graphics possible then PC is your answer. This also means you are going to need to spend at least 1k and most likely more to have a quality build.
Again, while you're right that going to PC is what you want for the best graphics, don't pretend that's all PC gaming has going for it.

You also don't need to spend $1000+ for a quality build, even though it is easy to do.

These days, it's pretty rare to see PC only games so most likely you are going to be seeing console ports to PC and indie games that are also available on consoles.
I'll agree that PC doesn't have a ton of killer exclusives outside the indie scene.

Another thing to consider is 1080p is still the standard so games are going to run at the same resolution on all 3 formats. Console gaming will also be the closest in terms of power to PC that it has ever been in history. The resolution will be the same and graphically, it will only differ slightly and once programmers get adjusted, the frame rate should also be similar.
You're being entirely too optimistic if you think everything will start to run at 60fps in the future.

My vote is go console. You could literally own both the PS4 and Xbox One for less than the price of a PC build. You wouldn't miss any game release and have the best of both worlds. PC will always have the potential to be graphically superior but this generation the lines are going to be blurred even further and I don't think that the price difference is worth the slightly upgraded visuals.
No, the lines aren't going to be blurred that much, I don't think. PC gaming will still be a different sort of experience. It may not be for everyone, but I think people should at least be given better information as to what that experience is and not just this generic 'PC is only about the graphix' stuff. You will not 'get the best of both worlds' with two consoles. You will miss out on a ton of PC-specific features.

hemtae

the only batshit mental fanbase here is the PC one. I find most of them extremely annoying.

Yeah, that's just not true. Every fan base has its evangelicals but the Sony side has gone full crazy with the gif spam that looks to continue into this generation. PC people just get smug about their hardware.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, that's just not true. Every fan base has its evangelicals but the Sony side has gone full crazy with the gif spam that looks to continue into this generation. PC people just get smug about their hardware.
Right now, a lot of people are doing some heavy 'justifying' of their choices. On both sides. Its the exact same crap that you get with Playstation vs Xbox wars. Next-gen consoles have temporarily stirred up the PC vs console affair, although that will thankfully be more short-lived.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You should get a ps4 since that won't change for the next 10 years

In 10 years your pc will be crap. Hold off on it for as long as possible

PC will always have the potential to be graphically superior but this generation the lines are going to be blurred even further and I don't think that the price difference is worth the slightly upgraded visuals.

it's more than just graphics. look at what people can do with mods on a game like Skyrim. and games like Portal 2 and CS: GO have user created levels on PC but not on consoles.

Felspawn

PS4 first, PC later.

PS4 is going to stay the same.

PC will always get more powerful every year.

Pretty much this, Get a PS4 now, pocket the difference. In a year or two once the PC brute forces past the PS4 (and starts adopting new tech like Unified Memory hUMA) then pull the trigger and get the PC. Win win situation all around

Finaika

Are we really going to pretend that any console or PC parts will hold up for ten years without a replacement? That isn't even worth thinking about. Go forth and find me some launch PS2s, 360s or PS3s that are operating without issue today.

Not that he shouldn't buy a PS4. The post above mine makes a good case for it.

I think he meant that he can buy a much more powerful PC in the future rather than now.

it's more than just graphics. look at what people can do with mods on a game like Skyrim. and games like Portal 2 and CS: GO have user created levels on PC but not on consoles.

Seriously, mods are the best things about games. Always choose PC if there is a modding community for a game because the potentials are endless. You can get more than entire games worth of quality content through mods. People don't know what they are missing if they never played with mods.

Skeff

Seems a pretty clear decision to me:

Sofa or desk?

Yes you can play a PS4 on a desk or a PC on a TV, but we all know which is easier, so TV or desk?

Hope your happy with whichever you get.

I would at least consider waiting to see what AMD's 9000 series cards have to offer since it's right around the corner. I believe people are expecting the first to show up in Oct?

I am getting a PS4 when the inevitable "slim" model comes out with a lower price and more games to choose from.

However, I wanted to upgrade my PC this winter, but I am holding off to see what the new AMD APUs will be. Kaveri series from AMD will be like the PS4 with the hUMA tech. That will change the future of gaming PCs a lot, while lowering the prices most likely.

It's simple: get a ps4 now and build a PC when the Oculus Rift comes out a year or two from now. That'll pretty much guarantee that you'll be able to max games out at 60 fps at a non-astronomical price.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Console gaming will also be the closest in terms of power to PC that it has ever been in history.
In terms of being PC-like, sure, but previous generation console launches have often demonstrated visuals that were not yet possible on the PC. That's not the case this time around.

Sothpaw

There is no contest. PCs are for the refined gamer. The PS4 is for the masses. Not only do games both look and play better on PC, but there are far more PC exclusives than the xboneps4 combined.

Do the right thing.

Orayn

There is no contest. PCs are for the refined gamer. The PS4 is for the masses. Not only do games both look and play better on PC, but there are far more PC exclusives than the xboneps4 combined.

Do the right thing.

I'm on Team PC as well, but surely there's a way of presenting this that speaks more to the OP's specific concerns and is less... Snooty?

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, this thread is going exactly like the rest of them.

Get whatever system your friends have. If that's not really a concern, then get both. If you can't afford both, then get whatever system has the games you want. If that's not a concern, the PC is a superior platform comparing multi platform games, number of exclusives, and choices in how you want your content delivered as well as how you want it to perform/look.

Simple as that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have a GTX680 and a 3570k@ 4.8ghz and I can't even play Final Fantasy XIV ARR at 60fps. PC stay losing.

Orayn

I have a GTX680 and a 3570k@ 4.8ghz and I can't even play Final Fantasy XIV ARR at 60fps. PC stay losing.

I have no idea which of your posts are troll posts any more, but that speaks more to Square-Enix doing a poor job of optimizing their new engine rather than any inherent badness of PC as a platform.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Are we really going to pretend that any console or PC parts will hold up for ten years without a replacement? That isn't even worth thinking about. Go forth and find me some launch PS2s, 360s or PS3s that are operating without issue today.

Not that he shouldn't buy a PS4. The post above mine makes a good case for it.

I think he meant that he can buy a much more powerful PC in the future rather than now.

pretty much.

Zeth

Building a gaming PC was the best gaming-related decision I've ever made. I've never been so enthusiastic about games in my life. In just the last few months I've put hundreds of hours into Path of Exile and Dota 2. I'm playing games and following scenes I never knew existed. I am building an insane to-do list of classics from the PC platform's extensive back-catalog.

You should get a PS4 if it synchronizes with your gaming tastes. If you aren't interested in tinkering, if you don't care about the unique advantages of an open platform, if you only really care about playing a few AAA blockbusters and third party yearly franchise games, if you aren't bothered by framerate and image quality - there's really no reason not to save some money on initial investment and buy a next gen console. There will surely be unique experiences going forward, especially in 2014.

slapnuts

If I were in your position I'd build a PC first and wait on the PS4. There will likely be issues within the first several months of launch with either network infrastructure and/or hardware that will take some time to sort out, plus it will take a while for the system to build up its library so you may as well get a PC in the meantime.

good words, sound wisdom

As much as i drool over the ps4..I am holding off until the ps4 games library matures and the system itself. Last xmas i built a new rig..a 3770k@4.6ghz, 8gb system ram and a Sappire 7970 OC Edition@1200mhz core/1600mhz memory...i will just use my gaming PC Desktop i built for the mean time until the ps4 matures with its hardware and games library. By the time i buy a ps4..i will be able to buy plenty of used ps4 games and after about 1 year in with the ps4..it's own exclusive games will start to mature and take real advantage of the ps4 hardware..right now we all know what launch games look like compared to after the 1st and 2nd year of a new console. Its just not worth the price of paying 65 dollars a pop for a ps4 game at this time.

Edit: Killzone DOES LOOK next gen for sure..but so does battlefield 4 that will be on PC and Consoles..by 6 months to 1 year after ps4 launch..there will start to be a decent amount of cheap used ps4 games available..that is the smart time to jump on in with the next gen consoles. I just cant see myself splashing down big bucks on very early ps4 games that will look lack luster compared to 2nd generation ps4 games and when i can pick up early used ps4 games at the fraction of the cost 6 months down the road after launch

pixlexic

Banned
You certainly dropped a decent amount in a PC for someone who seems to have no interest in it by your post history.

Nah I buy every game I can on PC .
One of the things hardly anyone talks about for PC is there are some situations were you can get games that exclusive to each consoles.

Like I can get both Titan fall and ff14.

Top Bottom