• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War Warhammer 2 |OT| Of Mice and Ratmen

karnage10

Banned
Ztp852M.png

Factsheet

Title: Total War: Warhammer 2
Developer: Creative Assembly
Publisher: SEGA
Platform: Steam
Release Date: Thursday, 28th of September, 2017 (Unlocks at 8.30AM BST)
Price: 59.99€ / 59.99$ /39.99£
Twitter
Total War Warhammer OT

The second game of the total war warhammer trilogy promises to improve on every facet of total war warhammer while adding new content. This game not only features its own campaign but will also work together with both total war warhammer 1 and total war warhammer 3 to create a mega sandbox where you can use any faction from those 3 games.
For those that did not play total war warhammer 1, it is totally ok to start in warhammer 2 since each title will have its own campaign.
For those unfamiliar with the series, Total War combines a Civilization-like turn based aspect with real-time battles. On the campaign map you build and manage your empire. Construction, unit creation, trade, diplomacy, taxes, and subterfuge are all done on the campaign map. When you finally unleash your armies upon the enemy it becomes a real-time battle where your host takes the field and the butcher's work begins.

See below if your PC can handle this game.

System Requirements

PC Minimum Specifications:
Expected around 25-35 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to ”Low", running at 1280×720
Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
RAM: 4GB/5GB*
Install size: 60 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB | AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB | Intel HD4000 @ 720p
*PC integrated graphics chipsets, e.g. Intel HD series, will require 5GB system RAM

PC Recommended Specifications:
Expected around 45-55 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to ”High", running at 1920×1080
Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Install size: 60 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB @ 1080p

BKDG5BL.jpg

• The vortex campaign - new map with 4 continents, 4 new races with each race having a storyline to take control of the vortex. In this campaign the AI will be able to win against the player by fulfilling their objectives. New to the warhammer trilogy, there will be more campaign cinematics in this campaign.
  • 4 Rites for each faction which buff or recruit special new units (like the black ark or a slann);
  • Synced animations between monster units;
  • Rogue armies. These armies don't use the roster of a faction instead they use a ”theme" - think a monster only army which is made from lizardmen, wood elves and greenskins units.
  • Treasure adventures - your armies can now go on adventures when they explore ruins. This works like a small text point and click adventure, a few text boxes with decisions.
  • 3 way battles (multiplayer only).
  • ”New" types of battles such as bridge battles;
  • No regional occupation limits, instead a new climate system has been added. Each race has preferred climates, if you settle on other non preferred climates you will take penalties.
  • A new trait system similar to the bretonian race from the previous game.
  • New army abilities. For example, allows you to summon cold ones as lizardmen or clan rats as skaven.
  • Lots of quality of life improvements such as: Being able to control what the game shows you during the ”end turn time" per faction; Having a warning when you click end turn if you haven't done everything possible; UI is better and prettier; Legendary Lords capped level increased to 40.

Pjoc2da.jpg

High elves

The High Elves are an insular race. Long ago, the Elves were the favourite (but not the first) creations of the Old Ones, the original gods of the Warhammer World, who also built them an idyllic island called Ulthuan. Thousands of years later, this has given their descendants a certain sense of entitlement; they look out only for themselves, and yet, because they also consider themselves the rightful rulers of the world, they stick their noses into everyone else's business anyway.

On the campaign map they have line of sight on their trade partners. They have an unique resource called influence, this resource gives the high elves their greatest strength - is being able to manipulate other factions opinions. This manipulation can be used for example to either boost factions into alliances or divide alliances.
In battle the high elves have a boost on their melee defense as long as the unit has at least 50% of health. The high elves are an elite army with plenty of unit choices, it has heavy infantry, great cavalry, chariots and magic supported by dragons and phoenixes.

Legendary Lords
TYRION
Prince Tyrion is the High Elves' greatest living warrior. Starting on Uthuan commanding the Lothern faction Tyrion is in a great position to take control of the vortex. There is no doubt of Tyrion great skills as a warrior but can he outwit the other high elf factions and unite Ulthuan?
TECLIS
Teclis is Tyrion's twin brother, but two more different siblings would be hard to find. While Teclis body is frail and in need of potions to survive, his magical ability makes him one of the most powerful mages in the warhammer world. Teclis commands the Order of Loremasters faction starting on an island in southern Lustria. Teclis, is isolated from his brethren. He will have to use all his skill to regroup with Ulthuan and protect the vortex from all other races..

High elves roster

Dark elves

The Dark Elves are the High Elves' twisted kin, separated from their brethren in a violent civil war known as the Sundering. The fire was built by the corrupting forces of Chaos taking root in Ulthuan, then ignited - literally - when a prince named Malekith was rejected and burned by the flames that he had assumed would confirm him as the Elves' new king.
He rejected the verdict of the holy flames and went to war with those who defended their integrity. He lost, was kicked out of Ulthuan.

On the campaign map dark elves have an unique resource called slaves. You earn slaves by, well, enslaving enemies. Slaves boost your income but hurt your public order.
In battle the dark elves show their sadistic nature. When a certain amount of units on the battlefield die the dark elf army gets a massive boost on their stats.

Legendary Lords

MALEKITH
Malekith commands the Naggarond faction in Nagaroth. He is mighty warrior, a great sorcerer and a brilliant general. After losing the civil war he sulks in the bleak land of Naggaroth with his equally deranged mother Morathi, earning the derision of all Warhammer fans for being the world's biggest baby.
MORATHI
Morathi commands the Cult of Pleasure in Nagaroth. Born to scheming and politics, and a talented sorceress, Morathi has spent five thousand years teaching her son all she knows of statecraft and magic, and works to maintain his grip on the throne of Naggaroth. Morathi is totally dedicated to her son, as he is to her. Tainted by Chaos she manages to use their foul magic to empower her own spells.

Dark elves roster

Lizardmen

They are the most ancient of all the races because of that they are the only faction to remember and keep faith with the Old Ones.
The lizardmen seek to enact the Great Plan and will go to any length to complete it!

On the campaign map they have geomatic web which connects several cities around, by powering this web you gain powerful bonuses. Lizardmen will get a unique army stance: the Astromancy stance which increase your campaign view range and your defense against ambushes and against factions using the Underway.
In battle the lizardmen are a mainly infantry army supported by huge dinosaurs. Some units of the lizardmen can go on rampage, when it happens the player loses control of the unit and that unit charges the closest enemy unit. Lizardmen units can also trade melee defense for regeneration.

Legendary lords

MAZDAMUNDI
Lord Mazdamundi is the oldest and most powerful of the living Slann Mage-Priests. this caster lord legendary lord commands the armies of Hexoatl atop the largest Stegadon that can be found.
With access to spells from several lores, bonus to winds of magic, free vortex spells and winds spells this caster lord will be able to control the flow of any battle.
KROQ-GAR
Kroq-Gar is an ancient Saurus, commanding the armies of the last defenders on the southlands atop his mighty carnasour.
This melee Lord can easily defeat most units specially when is atop of his powerful mount.

Lizardmen roster

Skaven

As rats, the Skaven like to burrow. In the lore, almost all of their empire is underground, with only occasional cities popping up on the surface.
The Skaven are divided into many other clans, whose habit of infighting is the only reason they haven't taken over the world.

On the campaign skaven cities appear as ruins to other races. They also spread a corruption that hurts both skaven and their enemies. Skaven have an unique resource called food, skaven can use it to boost conquered settlements to the next tier, summon clan rats to battle,etc.
In battle skaven use large numbers to overwhelm their opponents, because the skaven are mostly cowards your units will be faster when routing allowing them to more easily survive to fight another day. The skaven army supports their huge but brittle infantry numbers with powerful war machines and monstrous units.

Legendary Lords

QUEEK HEADTAKER
The Great Warlord of Clan Mors has managed to defeat and survive almost every challenger that was thrown against him, Queek carries their heads on his trophy rack.
LORD SKROLK
Skrolk leads clan pestilence in lustria, he is ancient and twisted by the weight of countless corruptions. He has access to the lore of plague.

Skaven roster

Map + Minor factions

This is a map of the vortex campaign and it shows the minor factions as well as the starting location of each playable faction. The first 2 factions of each race are the playable ones, you can check above which legendary lord commands which faction.

The mortal empires campaign

Mortal Empires is the new a playable campaign that mixes both warhammer 1 and warhammer 2 maps.

This new campaign is pure conquest, no vortex story-line, with all the playable races* and factions from both games released so far vying for dominance across the continents. This map will have 295 settlements and 117 starting factions. You will be able to choose between 37 legendary lords and 27 starting positions*.

Because of the cheer size the end turn time will increase and there is no way around it.
To play this campaign you need to own both warhammer 2 and warhammer 1.

*Do note that at release norsca won't be playable and will be added in a patch ”soon".

DLC Plan

At the time of writing CA has not announced much about the DLC plan.

For warhammer 1, CA had 3 types of DLC:
- Lord pack 7,49€/$
This pack adds legendary lords, new lords, new units and regiments of renown (reskin of ”old units" with a twist). The new legendary lords can have new subfactions and slightly different mechanics to the main faction. Think crocked moon subfaction which is lead by skarsnik and uses goblin units but not the orcs from the greenskin faction roster.

- Race pack 7,49-9.99 €/$
Adds a completely new race with a few legendary lords. Think norsca and chaos warriors factions.

- ”Campaign" pack 14.99 €/$
This is the only pack that as been confirmed to change from game 1 to game 2;
This will add a completely new race with 4 legendary lords. This pack will no longer add a mini-campaign.

Current DLCs:
- Blood For the blood god II 2,49 €/$
If you bought the blood DLC for the first warhammer game this DLC is free to you

FLC plan

CA has shown the following image about the FLC

Mortal empires campaign released 26/10/2017

Videos and screenshots

Carnosaur vs hell pit abomination
Skaven Scribe Reacts

Reviews

Neogaf review thread

Opencritic 85

FAQ

Q: Do I need to play Warhammer 1 to enjoy Warhammer 2?
A: No, Warhammer 2 is a stand-alone game, you don't need Warhammer 1 however owning it unlocks the Mortal empires campaign and allows you to use the factions from that game.

Q: I'm interested in norsca DLC however I don't want to pre-order, what can I do?
A: Norsca DLC will be free for anyone buying Warhammer 2 up to 1 week after release, so you can just buy the game after release and you are set. Do notice that the norsca DLC is JUST for the first game.

Q: Do I have to rebuy the Blood pack DLC for game 2?
A: No, anyone that owns the blood pack DLC for game 1 will get the blood DLC pack for game 2 ”for free".

Q: My favorite faction is not in the game, any chance it will appear as DLC?
A: CA as confirmed that every race from 8th Edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles with an army book will each have their own starting positions, all playable in the kind of holistic, mega-sandbox of Warhammer.
Expect tomb kings to be DLC for warhammer 2 and the rest of the factions will probably be kept for game 3. I'll update the DLC plan when CA announces it, so keep an eye on this OT or on the official channels.

It's time to fight for the vortex!

I wasn't going to buy this right now because of other games out, but I am so tempted. It does look much better than the first Total War Warhammer and I want to try the new races out.

danm999

Too many games.

Pleased to hear I combines the old and the new races. I thought the factional diversity in the first one was the best ever in a Total War game (obviously it's the first one with non-humans).

Vaporak

I've been looking forward to this so much, TW1 was the best total war in a long time and really got me back into the series; only a few hours to go now!

Are the recommended system spec higher than the first one?

Pre release streamers have commented that the game runs better than TW1.

Feeroper

Just picked this up, looking forward to digging in! I'll definitely need to get the dlc from the first game on the next sale to unlock them for the upcoming Mortal Empires campaign.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Awesome OT. I think you might have the starting descriptions for Tyrion and Teclis backwards though, just from watching early streams I think Teclis was leading the Loremasters from Lustria and Tyrion was Lothren. Not that its even a huge deal, OT is dope.

Scirrocco

This will be my first total war game. The whole build order race aspect of other RTSs kind of soured me on the genre. Maybe removing that aspect and going pure strategy in combat will make this better.

Either way I've been on a warhammet fantasy binge lately, so I'm sure ill be satisfied

Wookieomg

So I'm on the fence about this.. Performance-wise, I remember having a lot of issues in Warhammer 1. Looots of slowdowns for me. Really felt like I was chugging in the world map especially. :/ Is this more optimized than Warhammer 1?

My computer:

16GB DDR3
Radeon HD 7970
i5 2500k@3.4

Lord Phol

Pre-loaded and ready to go!
Having a hard time deciding what order to play the races in since they are all so different. I really like the dark elves but I might just go with the lizardmen because of their tropical starting area and them generally just being badass dinosaurs the way the old gods (Steven Spielberg) intended.

tuna_love

Banned
cdkeys refunded me because its not compatible with my region even tho i could have just used a vpn. its $67usd on steam. does anyone know the cheapest place for an aussie to buy it? it was $47aud on cdkeys

ISee

Already bought, however I'm going to wait until they release Mortal Empires for the full experience.

The Vortex campaign has some unique features and a unique win conditions. The Mortal Campaign is "just" a huge domination campaign. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to the huge mortal campaign, I just think the vortex campaign is also worth playing.

edit:
Game is now extracting / available.

ElyrionX

The pre-load is such a giant fucking scam. I am having a much quicker process of deleting the preload and re-downloading the game.

Nezzhil

I preloaded the game yesterday, but the final installation says it will be done in between an hour and 3 days. Madness.

Ravelle

The preload worked fine on my end, only took 10 minutes or something to unlock, unlocking takes longer when it's not on an SSD though.

I thought the combined Campaign map meant all the older factions from WH1 were playable as well, not just the 4 new ones. Seems weird I have to switch to the older game to play with the other factions and then exclude the new factions.

Do we know if they're charging for blood again?

DLC is supposed to be carrying over.

ISee

The preload worked fine on my end, only took 10 minutes or something to unlock, unlocking takes longer when it's not on an SSD though.

I thought the combined Campaign map meant all the older factions from WH1 were playable as well, not just the 4 new ones. Seems weird I have to switch to the older game to play with the other factions and then exclude the new factions.

DLC is supposed to be carrying over.

The combined Campaign isn't in the game yet and will be released in a couple of weeks from now.

derFeef

Man, I really want to play this but I am always so overwhelmed by the actual missions. I just move my whole army towards the other army and that's it, lol...

This game looks to be ideration in the same way that Shogun 2 was. Thats a good thing. People were skeptical they announced this so short after Warhammer 1, but it seems they've taken the tools, engine and everything from Warhammer 1, and spend the time refining everything. Almost like Warhammer 1 was a beta concept, and this is the full release.
So it makes you wonder about Warhammer 3. Will what they introduce in the last trilogy also connect with Warhamme 2 and 1? Will they all have a massive global campaign? will some of these total warhammer 2 improvements make its way into warhammer 1? Since its the same engine and everything, it makes sense.

Warhammer 1s battlefields and castles were plain. When I watch the world it makes me want to explore it.. on foot. Like I want to be able to zoom into a single unit and just observe from a first/third person perspective what it looks like when a bunch of T-Rexes are stampeding 5000 rat men.

Lord Phol

Started off with Lizardmen as Kroq-Gar on hard. Only a few turns in but already enjoying them a lot, could be a contender for favorite race. Their unit design and the aztec theme comes together really well IMO. Also seems like heroes are toned down a bit which is a big improvement to me over the last game.

elyetis

Still disapointed they didn't finaly choose to allow more than 2 player compaign multiplayer... it has a pretty big impact on me playing the game when more of my friends are available.

The Vortex campaign has some unique features and a unique win conditions. The Mortal Campaign is "just" a huge domination campaign. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to the huge mortal campaign, I just think the vortex campaign is also worth playing.

edit:
Game is now extracting / available.

I just got done downloading it. So I'll probably play some of it at least, lol.

I'm just really not a huge fan of the factions this time around. So that's why I'm kind of waiting for the Mortal Campaign to really dive in.

I'll probably do some runs as High/Dark elves. I don't care about lizards and rats!

Lord Phol

Just had a really close battle against Skaven. They outnumbered me by the thousands, all my big guys were rampaging in different directions and Krok-Gar was on his deathbed. Enter the Skinks, who with their speed and poking ability managed to spread out the rats and assist their rampaging allies just enough for the fight to end in my favour.

Two questions: is the shadow bug fixed? (The one where unit shadows sometimes disappear when viewed from different angles)
How does the AI cope with sailing?

tmespe

This game is not running well on my 760 Gtx. Luckily my 1080 will arrive later today. Looking forward to diving into this then. Not sure on my starting faction yet. The Lizardmen look really cool, but I love archers in Total war games, ever since I conquered the world with my yeomen in Medieval 2. Might just have to go with high elves.

Keasar

Does the Dark Elves have some sort of Black Ark? I saw an image of something that looked like a gigantic fortress ship but it seemed to be stationary on some rocks.

Ravelle

Made a start with the Dark Elves campaign, it's still odd the adviser for most campaigns is still that old dude which doesn't make much sense, at least have a character fitting your faction. Those Cold Ones Raptor squads are awesome.

I noticed it still has that issue that units just vanish into the scenery when walking into the shadows or dark areas since there isn't much color on them, it's mostly brown and when Skaven and Dark Elves clash I have a hard time telling units apart because it just turns into a brown blob.

cripterion

I bought the game and have no intention of playing with any of those xenos races. Give me the Mortal Empires patch please.

Dark Elves have a kinda major bug right now regarding their order building:

It gives half of its apparent order. Or maybe none, if that order boost is from settlments; I didn't check that. (On the second pic, you can see it gives +6 order, but in the first tooltip the only boost shown for the province is +3.) If I was playing on Very Hard like instead of Hard it would be virtually impossible to keep order.

I'm not missing something, right?
How are loading times compared to TW:W?

Initial load seemed longer, but performance seems much better, weirdly enough. Not sure what changed but Ultra is giving me much more stable performasnce, 50-60, vs. TWWH1's shakey 30.
Does the Dark Elves have some sort of Black Ark? I saw an image of something that looked like a gigantic fortress ship but it seemed to be stationary on some rocks.

Yes, Summoning a Black Ark is one of their strategic spells. It's sort of like a naval horde army, in that you can recruit and build there a la hordes. But it also gives support to land units in range--replenishment, recruitment, and in-battle spells. It seems very powerful for far-off targets.

Philxor

I have this pre-loaded so looking forward to getting home and unlocking. It would be good to keep the thread full of tips and advice, as well. As someone above noted, I struggle immensely to actually fight battles outside of the tutorial and pretty quickly resort to auto-resolving. It would be great to draw on everyone's experience!

Top Bottom