• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

toys of the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Semjaza Azazael said:
Anyone else have Monsters in My Pocket? I only had a few, but I thought they were pretty cool. Don't ask me why since they're only one color and don't do anything at all.

Weren't these from the 90s?

Oh, thanks for that Chicken Run pic. That's pretty wild, and interesting that you remembered the TMNT one when you saw it.

Sagitario

Dan said:
I had a whole bunch of that Teddy Ruxpin stuff when I was real little.

TeddyRuxpinMiniTR.jpg
TeddyRuxpinJackWTweegPotion.jpg

OMG! I was thinking last week about this character, me and my friends were talking about old cartoon shows we watched when we're kids ... I watched this cartoon but I couldn't remember the name of the show...

bjork said:
They were from somewhere in 88-90.

Yeah, as far as I remember, they debuted in the late 80s. It seemed to take a year or so before they kind of gained any ground though. There was a game and I think even a TV show eventually.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ooh, come to think of it, I remember the video game. I either owned it or rented it a few times...

bjork

Dan said:
Ooh, come to think of it, I remember the video game. I either owned it or rented it a few times...

It was covered in Nintendo Power, so it was at least 1988, we know that much. :)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Dan said:
Oh snap, and Battle Beasts as mentioned above! My brother and I loved those things.
bbeastspikefrawgt.jpg
bbeastcombatkoalat.jpg
bbeasttuskhammert.jpg
Seeing the Battle Beasts in The Transformers: Headmasters episode had to be one of the weirdest crossovers ever.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>A Chicken Run repaint? That's hilarious! Gotta love how the toy industry rehashes things in such a blatant manner.<<<

I saw a repaint of the Ewok Village playset a while back, but I don't remember what toy line it was in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have the bad guys' fighter from Captain Power, too. I don't have any tapes, though.

Seth C

TAJ said:
G.I. Joe and Star Wars toys were huge early in the decade. Voltron was big, but not AS big. There was a Dungeons & Dragons line that I thought was pretty cool. He-Man was popular too, but I thought it was fucking lame. Mid-to-late eighties saw Thundercats, which was as lame as He-Man, if that's possible.

He-Man started in 83.

mrmyth

L17738.jpg

I traded some dumbass kid my repainted Skyfire for a pristine lion Voltron. His sister tried to talk him out of it, but like I said, he was a dumbass.

Semjaza Azazael said:
MIMP73-80.GIF

Anyone else have Monsters in My Pocket? I only had a few, but I thought they were pretty cool. Don't ask me why since they're only one color and don't do anything at all.

I did, and I liked them too for some strange reason...

evil ways

Anybody remember one of the last few Muscle/Garbage Pail Kids ripoffs released in the early 90's called The Trash Bag Bunch? They were mini figures, but more detailed and painted that came in a trash bag. You threw the trash bag into a bucket of water and it would dissolve, revealing the figure.

Tazznum1 said:
No He-Man...Castle of Greyskull????
castlegrayskull.jpg

My Little Pony

Pound Puppies....

What is wrong with you people???

What the hell kind of Castle Greyskull is that shit?!!! It's like adding new digital scenes to my Star Wars movies!! >:|

I miss the days when toys didn't suck :(

What happened to cool toys? The only cool toys I've seen recently are the new transformer ones like Masterpiece Optimus Prime, RX8 and WRX toys.

I wish I had more money... I've seen rereleases of classic Transformers toys and I can't help but want them.

I had My Pet Monster. I got it for $10 at Toys R Us a long, long time ago. I actually was watching King of Queens the other day and they had one on the show. I had no clue they still made the things.

I still own all my old He-Man (both castles, dozens of guys, a few animals and several vehicles), TMNT (tons of guys, vehicles, hideout, techodrome, van, blimp etc), Ghostbusters and Rambo toys. Good stuff heh. They're just packed in a closet.

swoon

Lambtron said:
M.A.S.K. was my favorite series of toys.

thunderhawk.jpg

switch.jpg

MSK2004_300.jpg

Someday I hope to have a complete set of series 1 & 2. My parents gave all mine to goodwill (and I think I had basically everything but Boulder Hill). :(

oh god yes.

i had boulder hill, the black van, thunderhawk and that 50's car. but i didn't have any actual figures :(

You people are really starting to depress me...
cry.gif

With all of the sh*t I have to deal with as an adult these days (esp. now, with college almost over and mounting family problems), seeing these relics of my childhood make me long for that time when the only real thing I had to worry about was accidentally losing one of my beloved toys, or its accessories.

Spike Spiegel said:
cry.gif

With all of the sh*t I have to deal with as an adult these days (esp. now, with college almost over and mounting family problems), seeing these relics of my childhood make me long for that time when the only real thing I had to worry about was accidentally losing one of my beloved toys, or its accessories.
No shit... life was so much simpler nd easier then... I can't believed i complained about doing school work back then. LOL, I feel like a dumbass now.

Tazznum1

Spike Spiegel said:
cry.gif

I still worry about losing my toys' accessories.

Pimpwerx

I can't believe no one mentioned my favorite:

THE ANIMAL!!!
animaltruck.jpg

"The Animal. The Animal. Nothing can stop the Animal!"

Look at those retractable claws. 8O Amaze in wonder as this piece of crap climbed nothing, but looked cool doing it. :D PEACE.

Cerebral Palsy said:

LOL! My older brother still has his Boglin IN THE CASE! In addition to a My Pet Monster and all kinds of other shit from the 80s, all in immaculate condition. I don't know why/how he kept all that stuff in great shape when we were kids, all my toys are ruined.

anyway, i used to hate getting toys as a kid, cause my brother would always get to get the "main" guys and my parents would buy me some secondary character or a villian. He got a Batman toy, i had to get Robin. He got Liono and Mumra from Thundercats, and i got stuck with Panthro and some fucking Walrus dude. He got a Hot Roddimus Prime Transformer, and my parents get me a fucking guy that transforms into a microscope. A fucking MICROSCOPE.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
L17738.jpg

That's not the real Voltron. Mine was made w/ good ol' led paint and die cast metal (in parts)!

Voltron-Robot.gif

DAMN! We had that die cast Metal voltron, and my dumbass brother traded it to one of his friends for a bunch of friggin Go-Bots! WTF! This thread is bringing back some bitter memories...im gonna have to go kick my brother's ass.

evil ways

I had that Voltron as well and my mother threw it away due to the whole lead poisoning rumor going around in the news at the time.

A few weeks later she got me a bigger, but crappier looking electronic Voltron that had wheels on it's feet and moved. Damn thing had a wire coming out of it's back that connected to a control device to make him move.

Sai

Legos, X-Men action figures... That's about all I ever begged for, really. :p

[EDIT] - Anybody know where I can find scans of those old Lego catalogs? Y'know, the ones that came with every lego set you bought... In fact, where would I go about purchasing some of the older lego sets?

Damn, I completely forgot about Boglins. I had the orange one with the black nose that's in the picture up there. I played with that thing constantly... had it eat my action figures lol.

Couple of thoughts...

Wow, I had forgotten about MASK and the fact I owned the red car..and another one too, but I can't remember which one. I know I used to change around their removable helmets to give them different powers and what not.

Odd use of branding there on the "CBS Colecovision".

One time I put Warrant's "Heaven" into a Teddy Ruxpin to watch him ROCK!

And of course, I had all the He-Man, Voltron, Garbage Pail Kids, etc. etc.

I am also man enough to admit I had a large collection of Care Bears and Care Bear Cousins.

None of you know me, so I don't mind admitting that.

mrmyth

DaCocoBrova said:
L17738.jpg

That's not the real Voltron. Mine was made w/ good ol' led paint and die cast metal (in parts)!

Voltron-Robot.gif

Yeah, I had the diecast and the five plastic lions (the black lion had a cheesy 'walking' motion), but this is the best pic I could google up quickly. I'm pretty sure the diecast Voltron was made by Matchbox.

Goddamn, i can't believe you left out the GREATEST toys of the 80's!
Millions of Unusual Creatures Lurking Everywhere!!!
musc2.jpg

And these were the greates toys of the 70's:
karzabox1.jpg

karzabox4.jpg

Goddamnit! Where is my time machine!!
rfalconbox1.jpg

empcent.jpg

What nigga?!
fcommander.jpg

Shinobi

TAJ said:
Sorry. Legos as we know them today are a '50s toy.

Lego's are timeless toys which will be bought and played a hundred years from now, which is more then I can say for most of the stuff that's been shown in this thread.

Which doesn't make 'em bad mind you...Big Trax owns all your shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom