• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tragic News: Destiny open marriage fails

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In today's Most Important and Very Serious Internet News, popular political/social commentary streamer Destiny is being divorced by his wife Melina. Destiny and Melina have gone on podcasts to promote the idea of open marriage since tying the knot in 2021.

Destiny also mentioned that he was so confident in their open relationship marital bonds lasting forever that he did not get a prenup. ☠️

Melina reportedly left him for one of the many gross, ugly internet nerds she was sleeping with on the side.

Obviously, we're all adults here and can configure our lives how we choose. Do what works for you! But it seems like he was exposing himself to tremendous financial risk and ongoing social embarrassment by marrying someone who seemingly enjoyed making him out to be a cuckold repeatedly in public, while handing her all the cards by not getting a prenup on top of that. Why get married in the first place?!

The things we do for true love...

bender

What time is it?
Destiny also mentioned that he was so confident in their open relationship marital bonds lasting forever that he did not get a prenup. ☠️
tz1xtQ.gif

I've been keeping up with this and there's some information here that's... a bit off, or at least not reported properly by other outlets. I looked into it a bit, so I just wanted to clarify:

-During the time they were together and doing podcast runs, Destiny and Melina have stated multiple times in public and on public forums that they don't recommend their lifestyle for anyone.
-Destiny actually hates talking about his relationships but was constantly prodded by other outlets to do so publicly (which I guess is how others would see it as promotion).
-They set ground rules about which people are off limits in terms of being slept with. She broke the ground rules.
-They initially got married early for her green card/so that she could live with him in the States. They agreed to both do a post-nuptial once this divorce stuff happened.

That's all.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've been keeping up with this and there's some information here that's... a bit off, or at least not reported properly by other outlets. I looked into it a bit, so I just wanted to clarify:

-During the time they were together and doing podcast runs, Destiny and Melina have stated multiple times in public and on public forums that they don't recommend their lifestyle for anyone.
-Destiny actually hates talking about his relationships but was constantly prodded by other outlets to do so publicly (which I guess is how others would see it as promotion).
-They set ground rules about which people are off limits in terms of being slept with. She broke the ground rules.
-They initially got married early for her green card/so that she could live with him in the States. They agreed to both do a post-nuptial once this divorce stuff happened.

That's all.
Relevant context, thanks!

bender

What time is it?

Typically you'd have list of five to ten famous people that you and your spouse would share that would be "okay" to cheat with as a gag. Good job perverting and inverting that, I guess.

Just finished the video in EviLore EviLore 's OP. How the fuck does this guy have a massive audience? I'm glad I'm too old for all of this shit.

b179ca2a8a76edc6c0d7181773f37054.gif

Last edited:

Puscifer

I've always said that the growing popularity of open relationships and polyamory is ridiculous.

Too many get into a lifestyle they aren't built for that end up causing nothing but heartache for them long term, because what do you know, the longer a relationship last the deeper the bond goes and minor fuck ups in the dynamic became relationship enders down the line.

Sadly I know from personal experience, I've talked about my previous marriage here several times and have no qualms because no one knows who I am, but I'm telling you don't get into this lifestyle it will eventually destroy you mentally and spiritually.

Find a healthy dynamic where you aren't attached to the hip by someone but you're allowed to have separate friend groups and space when needed. An Independent together dynamic where you have consistent communication would be a great place to be for many vs "let's just have sex with other people" but I wonder how many even consider it vs buying a copy of ethical slut and setting themselves up for disaster down the line

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
How the fuck does this guy have a massive audience?
He's been around for a long time and built his reputation in part through a willingness to earnestly debate political opponents, while being firmly on the left himself. Not many others are willing to do so from his camp. Basically the left-wing Ben Shapiro in some ways.

how many even consider it vs buying a copy of ethical slut and setting themselves up for disaster
Seems to have a prominent place on the shelf in every bookstore I go to in the US.

Everything's about going full steam ahead with no guard rails at the moment...

Typically you'd have list of five to ten famous people that you and your spouse would share that would be "okay" to cheat with as a gag. Good job perverting and inverting that, I guess.
The rules work differently in open relationships, which is why it's hard for people like you or I to view it through the lens of monogamy, because for them there would be no need to state those 5-10 people in which they would, but rather the 5-10 people in which they wouldn't. Open relationships, secret side relationships while monogamous, sleeping abroad with others while monogamous, etc. are not for me.

However, compared to other ones I've listed which usually lie deep within secrecy, one of the few good things I can say about what I've seen of open relationships, is the fact that these things are usually out in the open and thus there is potential for more trust(especially with someone who wants to sleep around a lot). Keyword here being 'potential' as most marriages and relationships in 2023 simply don't work out anyway. The open ones are simply harder or easier depending on how it's perceived.
Just finished the video in EviLore EviLore 's OP. How the fuck does this guy have a massive audience? I'm glad I'm too old for all of this shit.
Because he's known for politics and debate, not this stuff. This moment is like when people made fun of Stephen Crowder's relationship woes or Ben Shapiro's marriage issues.

bender

What time is it?
The rules work differently in open relationships, which is why it's hard for people like you or I to view it through the lens of monogamy, because for them there would be no need to state those 5-10 people in which they would, but rather the 5-10 people in which they wouldn't. Open relationships, secret side relationships while monogamous, sleeping abroad with others while monogamous, etc. are not for me.

However, compared to other ones I've listed which usually lie deep within secrecy, one of the few good things I can say about what I've seen of open relationships, is the fact that these things are usually out in the open and thus there is potential for more trust(especially with someone who wants to sleep around a lot). Keyword here being 'potential' as most marriages and relationships in 2023 simply don't work out anyway. The open ones are simply harder or easier depending on how it's perceived.

Because he's known for politics and debate, not this stuff. This moment is like when people made fun of Stephen Crowder's relationship woes or Ben Shapiro's marriage issues.

It's not hard to understand and I don't really view it through the lens of monogamy. The exception list is largely an old fashioned joke which is why have the inverse of it being taken seriously and further leading to the end of this "relationship" all the more humorous.

And if Destiny is akin to Crowder or Shapiro, my question about garnering an audience stands even if I know the answer.

He's been around for a long time and built his reputation in part through a willingness to earnestly debate political opponents, while being firmly on the left himself. Not many others are willing to do so from his camp.

I guess respect for that but he sounds like an idiot on those clips, but I guess we are all idiots in our way and in certain areas.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This appears to be the origin story of their relationship. As far as I can tell, Destiny met up with some Swedish guy, whose girlfriend was Melina, and the Swedish guy basically recorded his girlfriend and Destiny getting close with each other and then leaving him, on video...?

Definitely a girl to then marry without a prenup!

And if Destiny is akin to Crowder or Shapiro, my question about garnering an audience stands even if I know the answer.
If I were to put the 4 most known millenial internet political content figures on a range, from what I've seen(as I simply don't have time to watch all of their content) Destiny is closer to Shapiro than Crowder. Crowder is closer to someone like Hasanabi. Like Shapiro, Destiny attempts to go for fact-based content but will sometimes be slightly off due to missing context.

The thing I can respect about both Shapiro and Destiny is that they will both amend statements and change their stances with a convincing enough argument and/or evidence.

bender

What time is it?
The thing I can respect about both Shapiro and Destiny is that they will both amend statements and change their stances with a convincing enough argument and/or evidence.

I've always leaned heavily left, though the modern left can get fucked with calling anything to the right of their ideology a Nazi. I'm not terribly familiar with Crowder but at first blush, he's always felt like a huckster. Shapiro seems much smarter but I think he's far too hellbent on only the facts that match his ideology which is never good for a healthy debate. But those are just surface level assessments. My hippie ass got out of politics when the left thought the appropriate counter to the far right was an opposite but equal voice on the far left. With no middle ground, nothing productive can happen.

I've always leaned heavily left, though the modern left can get fucked with calling anything to the right of their ideology a Nazi. I'm not terribly familiar with Crowder but at first blush, he's always felt like a huckster. Shapiro seems much smarter but I think he's far too hellbent on only the facts that match his ideology which is never good for a healthy debate. But those are just surface level assessments. My hippie ass got out of politics when the left thought the appropriate counter to the far right was an opposite but equal voice on the far left. With no middle ground, nothing productive can happen.
Funny thing is, with this type of take, you would actually like Destiny 🤷‍♂️

I can't go into detail without turning this thread political so I won't. I'll just say that he consistently fights with the far left, right, and far right, he waits on evidence before jumping to conclusions, and he agrees that these ideologies are going too far in their own directions. Just like with Shapiro, it's the other stuff of his that I don't pay attention to(relationships, drama, etc.) because I feel that stuff takes away from the more meaningful content.

If you can't tell already I enjoy watching figures from both sides just to get a full perspective of what everyone is perceiving in situations.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
In today's Most Important and Very Serious Internet News, popular political/social commentary streamer Destiny is being divorced by his wife Melina. Destiny and Melina have gone on podcasts to promote the idea of open marriage since tying the knot in 2021.

Melina reportedly left him for one of the many other gross, ugly internet nerds she was sleeping with on the side.

Obviously, we're all adults here and can configure our lives how we choose. Do what works for you! But it seems like he was exposing himself to tremendous financial risk and ongoing social embarrassment by marrying someone who seemingly enjoyed making him out to be a cuckold repeatedly in public, while handing her all the cards by not getting a prenup on top of that. Why get married in the first place?!

The things we do for true love...

I mean, just look at that. We can't reasonably expect a man to think with his head. J/k, not really

Mr1999

Maybe im wrong but an open relationship is very similar to swinging, its interconnected, if the only difference is having feelings for the other person vs not having feelings, like recreational sex, what's stopping someone from starting to have feelings for the person later and then cutting you off. I don't know anything about their relationship but it just seems like a recipe for disaster. I've always wondered what leads people down this path. It's like there's some internal code pushing them toward self-destruction.

Woggleman

I love how they probably thought they were being so hip and modern when this is what people were doing in the 60s and 70s. Boomers and Genz/Millenials fight so much because deep down they are so much alike.

Puscifer

This appears to be the origin story of their relationship. As far as I can tell, Destiny met up with some Swedish guy, whose girlfriend was Melina, and the Swedish guy basically recorded his girlfriend and Destiny getting close with each other and then leaving him, on video...?

How you get em is how you lose em, godspeed ahead for both of them

Last edited:

Woggleman

It astounds me how people will date somebody who cheats on their SO with them and act shocked when the same thing happens to them. My wife has an ex friend who constantly dated married men and now she hates men because so many of them broke her heart. When you steal somebody's woman or man all you do is create an opening for the next cheating partner.

Last edited:

Mesousa

Banned

I actually felt bad for him before seeing this, but yea screw him for doing that to a guy.

Also Melina looks fucking 12 in this video. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know anyone who is in open marriages.

But all I know is when I skim online dating sites, any women who publicly states they are in an open relationship and they (and their partner) is open to another person joining in.......... all the women in these profiles look gross, drugged up, and there is no way any of them going on their looks and profile have a good career. It's like all weird people. Where's all the Scarlett Johanssons and Shakiras of the world being lesbos looking for a guy to join?

Last edited:

Jsisto

Personally I think the idea of an open relationship is absolutely disgusting and does not mesh well with maintaining a civilized, modern society. The polyamory defense force always objects with their backwards ass arguments of how we’re not meant to be monogamous because most mammalian societies are not or what have you. True, they regularly commit infanticide and rape. Excuse me if the rest of us think we’ve evolved past all of that primitive behavior.

Last edited:

Mistake

Open relationships or poly are either for bisexual people who can't find a fix, or for couples who don't actually 100% sexually click. It's rough finding someone who can satisfy you both physically and emotionally. Also, I feel like a lot of this is happening because of how shallow our culture has become, and people are getting terrible advice.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I understand he's bi, so my guess is that this was a marriage for her visa and him given some "straight" cred. Next partner is gonna be a 100% a man.

Bridges

That's all.
Also worth pointing out that she isn't "leaving him" but rather she has apparently broken enough boundaries that Destiny told her to leave. Divorce has not actually happened yet but seems almost certain.

Apparently when they first got together she was already in a relationship and broke that boundary to be with Destiny so not really surprising that history repeats.

I am pretty opposite on the political spectrum to most of Destiny's points but I think he is a really rational and intelligent debater. I enjoy following him and even agree on some of his stances like the current Israel/Palestine stuff. His thoughts on relationships are crazy though.

He doesn't think being poly has anything to do with the marriage failing and attributes the cause of this collapse to him not being able to devote as much time to the relationship as she wants, so someone without a big career that has all the time in the world can swoop in and give her as much attention as she craves. It's probably true, but I immediately think that if you only have finite time for the relationship and you know that's a possible tension point, why divide your attention further between side chicks? I don't understand how he wouldn't even consider that.

Top Bottom