• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender Teen (Male to Female) Wins 3rd Place in Race;Girls' Mothers Mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

Some chicks get born into unusually powerful bodies that give them an athletic edge against their peers. That's what happened to this chick; and it's far more important for her wellbeing to view her situation this way than to make some cis girls feel like they were cheated out of victory. Plenty of cis girls could have been competing in place of this TG girl, and these kids would have simply had to deal. Treating TG students as some kind of exception that fit in nowhere does a profound disservice to them as human beings.

It does not eliminate them. Chronic exposure to testosterone during early development and puberty massively changes your physiology in a permanent way.

It does change the physiology but nothing that would survive HRT would give a transgender woman a competitive edge over a cisgender woman.

The easiest one is the Olympic press release

IOC rules transgender athletes can take part in Olympics without surgery

Or if you want to go really deep

Do Transgender Athletes Have an Unfair Advantage?

Should be noted that the NCAA source is SPECIFICALY about students

v8o30yQ.png

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Interesting read, cleared up a lot of misconceptions I had.

jiiikoo

Banned
This. I expected that the result was a steamroll of all first positions but she only got 3rd and 5th place? What about the girls that came over she, arent the parents mad at them for "reasons"?

Seems more like they dont like transgendered people and are looking for an excuse to make noise.

Seems like this to me too. I would somewhat understand if she had won by a landslide over the other girls, then an argument could be made that she might have had an advantage due to being born a male, but seeing as she did not in fact win by a landslide and in fact came third, something else might be behind this "outrage".

At first, I wasn't sure about all this and felt like there was too many nuances to really have a stance without a lot of research and consideration.

But then I found out her name was Ice. And that sold me. This kid is trying to find her way through life and deserves all sorts of respect. She was born into a world where everyone wants everything to fit into safe little categories, and decided to go to different way.

She's awesome. Let her run.

grumble

It does change the physiology but nothing that would survive HRT would give a transgender woman a competitive edge over a cisgender woman.

I find it hard to believe when I look at the opposite. Genetic females who take massive doses of testostone do not respond to exercise in the same way that genetic males do on the same steroids. They simply do not get as strong and do not typically respond as well in various other ways. For example, the one-rep max for a genetic male is typically farther from his three rep max than it is for a genetic female, implying a stronger maximum muscle fiber recruitment.

If applied to the opposite situation, why should the situation be a completely level playing field? It isn't level anyways due to within-xx differences, but it could be awkward if HRT becomes more common and it ends up with a skew.

Justified

Seems like this to me too. I would somewhat understand if she had won by a landslide over the other girls, then an argument could be made that she might have had an advantage due to being born a male, but seeing as she did not in fact win by a landslide and in fact came third, something else might be behind this "outrage".

That was one meet. In the 200 meter over the season she did steam roll for the most part I posted her record in the OP.

Now I say its due to her long legs (not her transitioning) that once her stride picks up, he speed is mostly unmatched (which is why her 200 is better than her 100)

But I also dont dismiss (other than the bigots) those who have legit question as to fairness based on physiological differences.

Also this is one case, but not every possible case.

I questioned (mostly to myself), but from the aspect on compromise/integration (because I believe there should be) what would be the ultimate answer across the board (for HRT, and non-HRT transitioners)

I seen answers for one way or the other, but not a set standard that would satisfy the general (legit) worry. Because like its been stated not everyone transitioning is on hormones that would diminish those "natural body advantages" (Which the IOC guideline would not satisfy)

Thats legitimate, but the discussion as a whole (not the argument the bigots are making) is; When it comes to sports how do you integrate Transgender in to Male/Female pseudo-segregated leagues?

Is it based off hormone level? If so what of those who identify but dont/cant utilize HRT?

Is it based on identity? If so if you cant use the generally accepted differences of sex (not gender) what do you use?

If its neither, is it a scientific fallacy that male, and females are generally different when it come to biology?

I absolutely think transgenders (Im talking across the board) should be able to compete. Its the how (systematically that is), not the why I personally dont have the answer to

but the whole point of pseudo-segregate leagues (by Sex) is so those with physiological dis-advantages can compete with those in proximity of them (physiologically wise).

Or do you agree with the other poster? Get rid of sex/gender based leagues and let the best person win?

Also just like I dismiss bigots who absolute dont want to see this girl and others compete, I dismiss those who jumo straight to calling those who question the process (not the individual) transphobics

Height is a competitive edge.

Are you implying that there are no cisgender tall women or that they should be banned as well so short cisgender women have a leveled playing field?

I find it hard to believe when I look at the opposite. Genetic females who take massive doses of testostone do not respond to exercise in the same way that genetic males do on the same steroids. They simply do not get as strong and do not typically respond as well in various other ways. For example, the one-rep max for a genetic male is typically farther from his three rep max than it is for a genetic female, implying a stronger maximum muscle fiber recruitment.

If applied to the opposite situation, why should the situation be a completely level playing field? It isn't level anyways due to within-xx differences, but it could be awkward if HRT becomes more common and it ends up with a skew.

Okay but you're wrong. Transgender women do not have an advantage over cisgender women. What you are failing to grasp is that transgender women who are on HRT have on average less testosterone than cisgender women. Also, any and all benefits they could have from testosterone are nullified since HRT reverses them.

Quoting for more information although it was literally just quoted above you:

The easiest one is the Olympic press release

IOC rules transgender athletes can take part in Olympics without surgery

Or if you want to go really deep

Do Transgender Athletes Have an Unfair Advantage?

Should be noted that the NCAA source is SPECIFICALY about students

v8o30yQ.png

highrider

Banned
It does kind of seem unfair to me. Men are demonstrably faster and stronger at elite level athletic endeavors. Hormone treatment may change that to some degree, but how can you quantify that in a fair way?

Some chicks get born into unusually powerful bodies that give them an athletic edge against their peers. That's what happened to this chick; and it's far more important for her wellbeing to view her situation this way than to make some cis girls feel like they were cheated out of victory. Plenty of cis girls could have been competing in place of this TG girl, and these kids would have simply had to deal. Treating TG students as some kind of exception that fit in nowhere does a profound disservice to them as human beings.

She didn't even win either.

It does kind of seem unfair to me. Men are demonstrably faster and stronger at elite level athletic endeavors. Hormone treatment may change that to some degree, but how can you quantify that in a fair way?

Transgender women on HRT do not have any significant advantage over cisgender women, even the IOC agrees with that.

Also, transgender women are not men.

komplanen

How does the transgender community in general react to this? Do they expect transgender people to be allowed no discrimination in this regard or would they be okay with transgender women to be separated out from born women's sports?

How great would you estimate your understanding of how much HRT changes in a person is?

How does the transgender community in general react to this? Do they expect transgender people to be allowed no discrimination in this regard or would they be okay with transgender women to be separated out from born women's sports?

I mean, they obviously do expect them to not be discriminated against

junpei

Everyone is talking about bone density and height but what about pain? I recall reading some article that say this women have more nerve endings then Men and they experience pain somewhat different then men . I could see that being an advantage in some form of contact sport. Does HRT change the way one feels pain ?

Everyone is talking about bone density and height but what about pain? I recall reading some article that say this women have more nerve endings then Men and they experience pain somewhat different then men . I could see that being an advantage in some form of contact sport. Does HRT change the way one feels pain ?

It can but as with everything, these are averages we're talking about so your mileage may vary.

The way you fix this is to get rid of all gender specific sports. Let everyone compete as equals and whoever wins, wins.

This would be brutal. I'm not sure I can envision a sport in which men weighing 100-150lbs heavier could demolish a woman on the field of play. Scary to think about.

This would be brutal. I'm not sure I can envision a sport in which men weighing 100-150lbs heavier could demolish a woman on the field of play. Scary to think about.

WOuldn't even be that that would be bad.

Serene Williams, one of the greatest female tennis players of all time, would never have been heard of or seen in an integrated men/women's tennis league. She would have never qualified for a major, never won any tournaments or gained any recognition to gain endorsements.

Simply put, Serena Williams probably wouldn't have been good enough to earn a living as a professional tennis player.

or, instead of turning all of sports on its head, we recognize that trans women are women and let them compete in the current system.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
She didn't even win either.

Even if she did win my opinion wouldn't change. Someday a trans woman is going to do exceedingly well at a sport and anyone who is to say they don't deserve those wins can fuck right off.

Matty77

I have long felt that transgender individuals should be able to compete with their proper identified gender as long as they are somewhere along the actual path of transitioning so I see no problem with her competing.

As for why we are hearing this especially out of Alaska seems like another "Christian family" group were probably looking for any issue involving a transgender individual so they could jump on the currently hot and popular topic of bigotry towards trans people and Trans issues that seems to be the religious rights bread and butter right now, and this is the first one that came to their attention.

I would say I feel bad for the young women but from the article that actually quotes her seems like she has a healthy attitude and doesn't need my sympathy.

Even if she did win my opinion wouldn't change. Someday a trans woman is going to do exceedingly well at a sport and anyone who is to say they don't deserve those wins can fuck right off.

I think the point is not that a trans woman cannot win, but rather that people claiming that they have an inherent advantage are saying that in a thread with an example of a person who doesn't have that inherent advantage apparently

Dryk

or, instead of turning all of sports on its head, we recognize that trans women are women and let them compete in the current system.
In the Olympics they have prevented biologically female women from competing if they have androgen disorders. This is actually a really tough issue because it places restrictions on what a woman's biology is allowed to look like. I think it's best left up to researchers to figure it out, in the meantime this woman doesn't seem to be abnormally fast for a woman so let her compete.

In the Olympics they have prevented biologically female women from competing if they have androgen disorders. This is actually a really tough issue because it places restrictions on what a woman's biology is allowed to look like. I think it's best left up to researchers to figure it out, in the meantime this woman doesn't seem to be abnormally fast for a woman so let her compete.

The International Olympic Committee already said that it's okay to let transgender women participate in the women's category as research shows that they have no inherent advantage.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
She's been on hormones for a while, she was approved by the school's athletic board. She had such an advantage that she finished 5th in one race.
Well, if I (a male who regularly does sports) were to compete now, I'm sure I'd place worse than 5th, considerably so. Similarly, you don't get to the top of the world in any sport, just by doping like a lunatic. Her not obliterating the competition does not mean she does not have an unfair advantage.

Well, if I (a male who regularly does sports) were to compete now, I'm sure I'd place worse than 5th, considerably so. Similarly, you don't get to the top of the world in any sport, just by doping like a lunatic. Her not obliterating the competition does not mean she does not have an unfair advantage.

Isn't it funny how the burden of proof is on us to show that her participation is fair when no one has provided any evidence (beyond fearmongering) that her participation was unfair?

Keri

There has to be some regulation (such as requiring HRT) otherwise, we're returning to the days where being born female becomes a liability (in girls sports, no less). It only takes one transgender girl competing (assuming no HRT) to foreclose any girls born female, from winning.

Yoshi

Isn't it funny how the burden of proof is on us to show that her participation is fair when no one has provided any evidence (beyond fearmongering) that her participation was unfair?

Well, proving this once and for all for one individual is next to impossible by virtue, but consider this: even recklessly doping female individuals don't reach the peak strength levels of male individuals (case in point: weight lifting).It does not seem plausible that hormone therapy completely mitigates all advantages that come with being born with a male body wrt sports performance.

Well, proving this once and for all for one individual is next to impossible by virtue, but consider this: even recklessly doping female individuals don't reach the peak strength levels of male individuals (case in point: weight lifting).It does not seem plausible that hormone therapy completely mitigates all advantages that come with being born with a male body wrt sports performance.

Do you consider yourself someone who is well-learned with respect to HRT?

She's been on hormones for at least a year it seems probably a lot more. She's young enough to not have fully grown into a huge advantage, she's been playing other sports at the school without a problem, she wins some, she loses some.

But hey congrats guys for parroting a ton of right wing news sites I guess.

Yoshi

Do you consider yourself someone who is well-learned with respect to HRT?

This depends on what well-learned means. I'm no biologist, so I'm certainly no expert. I know what it is and have an understanding (on a basic level) of its effect though.

Platy

Dopping is to make you better but not that much because you cannot mess too much with the hormones.

Hormone therapy is PURE messing with hormones.

Search for ANY case of dopping in women .. they will NOT have a full beard like

uj1Afpn.jpg

or with big muscles as

9eTW0k9.jpg

And those are just 5 minutes googling trans men pictures... I know I can find much better than this, SPECIALY on beard department xD

Two Words

That is not what happened and is not a genuine representation of the circumstances.

Yoshi

Dopping is to make you better but not that much because you cannot mess too much with the hormones.

Hormone therapy is PURE messing with hormones.

Search for ANY case of dopping in women .. they will NOT have a full beard like

uj1Afpn.jpg

or with big muscles as

9eTW0k9.jpg

And those are just 5 minutes googling trans men pictures... I know I can find much better than this, SPECIALY on beard department xD
Well, female bodybuilders and weightlifters don't want to have a beard, so they don't have one. Also, they don't want to have a male chest, so they get implants. But they stuff themselves with hormones (not a claim about every single woman competing in these sports, but many). But since you are asking for big muscles for doped women, just google "female bodybuilder". Most of them would have a beard if they wanted to. Obviouisly, homrones have a huge effect on the body, but some of it is also lasting, including bone structure, so I'm quite sure that hormone therapy alone does not take away the competitive advantage of being a biological male completely. I don't doubt that it is mitigating a considerable amount of the advantage.

Platy

Well, female bodybuilders and weightlifters don't want to have a beard, so they don't have one. Also, they don't want to have a male chest, so they get implants. But they stuff themselves with hormones (not a claim about every single woman competing in these sports, but many). But since you are asking for big muscles for doped women, just google "female bodybuilder". Most of them would have a beard if they wanted to. Obviouisly, homrones have a huge effect on the body, but some of it is also lasting, including bone structure, so I'm quite sure that hormone therapy alone does not take away the competitive advantage of being a biological male completely. I don't doubt that it is mitigating a considerable amount of the advantage.

...how do you think beards works ?

She's a fucking teenager whose been on on estrogen for a while, people understand what that means right?

No?

Of course not.

That would involve not concern trolling about wicked trans women oppressing cis gender female athletes.

Btw a many of her schoolmates have come out in support, just mot the ones who ran to right wight "family" transphobic orgs.

She's been playing sports on women's teams at school for a year. Volleyball and what not.

Future

Right? It's funny how suddenly, when it comes to trans issues, everyone magically gains a PhD in biology.

I'd hope the committee that decided to let transitioned people compete in the Olympics would qualify to your standards though.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tes-can-take-part-in-olympics-without-surgery

2 years of hormone therapy and managed testosterone levels seem good enough for the Olympics, but admittedly they were not discussing the cutthroat competition that is highschool track and field

ReaperXL7

I'm pretty indifferent on this topic at the moment because I'm currently trying to educate myself on trans issues but this specific topic is not one that I had considered yet.

I would say though that I think whatever response exists in this scenario would be dwarfed by the response if a Trans woman/girl got into a contact sport like boxing, or wrestling against a cis woman/girl and there was a serious injury. It's an interesting issue overall though and I kind of wish that there was a science group that had the stones to go through a study in which men seriously compete against women compete against trans individuals etc in sport of all kinds in order to see what the real differences look like.
I just don't see a situation where anyone is going to want to put a man/trans women and a woman/trans man in a ring and let them box without holding back, same for most contact sports in general I think but I do think it could be valuable for science and social acceptance since it often seems like there is so much we do not know still.

Sort of off topic but could anyone lead me to a reliable source for some proper education on trans issues in general? I'm trying to learn but It's sometimes difficult to figure out what sources are worth bothering with on these topics due to factual information vs not.

l2ounD

Is the result important?
Like is 3rd place better than 1st in her case?
Would that always be the case?
So if a trans/f ends up breaking world records will that be followed by an asterisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom