• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah interviews scary white blonde woman on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I don't think you get the point of having someone like her on to begin with. At no point does anyone think a debate is going to change her mind, the entire point is to communicate to other people why her ideas are wrong. Constantly letting her have the last word is only going to make her look bad to people who already dislike her.

What, was Trevor supposed to explain her points in detail for her? Her last word doesn't do much to explain a sane mindset behind her opinions.

Jon went soft on plenty of people in his day (O'Reilly). Jim Cramer was the exception not the rule, and he also took aim at plenty of progressive movements as well (Occupy Wall Street). Trevor has done a pretty good job getting up to speed after a shaky start

My experience watching Stewart isn't limited to youtube highlights. I watched the show all the time and he somehow made me look forward to the interviews more than the comedy segments. It isn't limited to "take downs" and that shouldn't be what we're always looking for but for every Cramer there were a dozen other random politicians, businessmen and pundits that he would, more often than not, ask just the right question to strike a chord. He could shine a spotlight on the one area the interviewee is hoping the audience doesn't look. Trevor isn't there, is all I'm saying. Not within ten floors it seems.

Gnome

I get more and more disheartened watching these interviews/debates knowing there's a whole bunch of assholes out there with whom reason doesn't register. It just feels...futile.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Does she believe the things she's saying? Nothing I've heard her say (about 8 minutes in) has been correct or even rational (and that's not even including the spin and deflections.)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I mean I dont agree with her but I really don't see how Trevor owned her. She held her own and I would not want to get stuck in a debate with this girl lol.
Just because he's not ripping her throat out when she says something stupid doesn't mean she's not making a fool of herself while he negates her positions.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Haha. I watched the into segment of the show and when Trevor announced that Tomi would be his guest, not a single person clapped.

SteveWD40

Sadly, the "louder = right" argument is pretty convincing amongst the masses, not just in the US either, we get it here in the UK as well.

Talking over someone while banging your head into the same rhetoric over and over is essentially how Jeremy Clarkson debates, and he is pretty popular.

Elchele

Any mirrors? It's not available for the UK.

what is a proud argentine man doing in UK?
Las Malvinas son Argentinas!

About the crazy blonde. That's just how accommodated people think, they never had to fight for anything so any protest is something awful to their eyes. They are born in a bubble and live there, and can't understand how the real world works for the rest of us.

a.wd

I am conflicted on this, if you subscribe to a team theory, then I don't think you walk away thinking anything different to what you started with.

On the other hand, if you watched that and saw her constant evasions, lack of logic and simple talking points and didn't think that woman is a fucking idiot, then you are probably missing a few screws.

I think it wasn't an evisceration but all the online chatter has been about liberals talking down and not listening to the other side and here is a perfect example of the bastion of liberal thinking and critical examination of both sides giving the Conservative Young Icon a chance to talk and not talk over her and give her a chance to express her views while asking her some pointed questions.

This will be seen as proof that given all the time and patience in the world she still didn't address a single point that was discussed, so no matter the opportunity, she will always come off as illogical and slightly unhinged, desperately scrabblng around to justify why her racist views are not actually racist.

Weckum

Although Trevor definitely had some good arguments, I feel like he switched topics too often too quickly, but that's tv sadly.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I don't think Noah bodied her.

Nope, far from it. He did expose the hollow rhetoric of the Trump supporters, I for one loved how she didn't answer the questions, she hammered home the shallow and meaningless marketing buzzwords that apparently make up her show, over and over again.

She probably walked off that stage feeling like a winner too.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think Noah did a poor job at times, overall in fact. But this interview also illustrates how populism in the Trump mold, often devoid of empirical backing, will often lend itself eventually to a harsh inflection point when reality won't match the rhetoric and a hurricane approaches your house of cards. Specifically their rhetoric about global trade and healthcare early on.

Her logic is doomed to failure just based on historical and empirical evidence. If they do what she says, the results will fail to match the aims. If they abandon it they become frauds of their own creation due to their heavy emphasis on purity from corruption.

They have no winning path on these issues. Starting a trade war will not make their supporters happy. Not when that $900 55in TV they bought at Walmart suddenly jumps up 3x in price. Or supply chains of numerous goods break down. All while no new factories magically pop up and many of the same rural issues remain. They think that 1000 person factory will save them in 4 years? Ask Obama and Clinton how well bailing out Detroit endeared them long term. Making healthcare better for everyone will be a hard sell when you are trying to privatize medicare, repeal the employer insurance tax credit and raise premiums of the oldest people in the individual market while keeping healthcare unaffordable for many people.

People like Tomi will either break one of two ways. She will end up a schill that over time will have her brand become more and more vulnerable as she makes excuses as Trump continues to bend toward establishment positions on many issues, or she ends up being a new type of Beck, having to go further right to carve out a niche as staying "pure" to the ideals as trump supporters get disillusioned. Pushing her further down the fascist, racist, factually void path.

vikki

I can't watch this segment, it's making me squirm so much. Noah is doing well, but I only made it 7 minutes because I can't stand her.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
She cannot logically speak out against BLM while using the same exact logic to defend Trump supporters. She was completely stumped when Trevor pointed this out but just said that it wasn't the same, pretty goddamn infuriating.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I used to be able to watch the whole Daily Show from Europe. Since Noah took over they have locked that down except for a few segments on youtube. Sad!

comedian

Was only able to watch an 8 minute excerpt (blocked in the UK) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyv3PUy5xCk , and I'm not digging Noah's condescending tone to be honest. It seems that she's come there looking to debate, and all he's doing is calling her racist, and taking what she's saying out of context (ex: when she says "What did the KKK do?", she's clearly asking the question to compare what BLM and KKK have/are doing, and not "I don't actually know what the KKK did").

smh @ that Hillary/Bill line. What a trash of a person.

If you want to see a Liberal eviscerate people, check out Joy Reid. She would of demolished this girl.

Mesousa

Banned
Trevor Noah is failing when he brings in an effective nobody to tear down. This girl is so insignificant she runs around putting people like Tommy Sotomayor on her show, which is on a failing network itself.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
"Donald Trump is gonna drain the swamp!"

"..uhh, he's literally hiring everyone from the swamp."

"Everyone has their place! He's a businessman!"

Yeah, I don't think Tomi Lahren's beliefs hold much value. It's not terribly fun or interesting seeing someone on the rhetorical defensive at all costs in light of obvious cognitive dissonance. How do you debate effectively in this scenario?

"I don't see color."

I don't know, it feels like communication is happening one way. There's no right way for minorities to protest. This has been made abundantly clear.

"Because I'm a woman I've been marginalized in some way."
"I'm not a victim."

This interview is weird.

Zaph

Heard about this fool yesterday in a BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38021995. It's amazing that all you need to be is a pretty, privileged white girl who goes out of her way to target marginalised groups - and suddenly you're a "rising star".

The "underdog" comments got me. Where the fuck do these white people get the energy for the mental gymnastics needed where they're the underdog? I guess everyone likes to think their struggle was the hardest and reminding them they were born with the best natural advantage possible takes that away from them.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Trevor Noah is failing when he brings in an effective nobody to tear down. This girl is so insignificant she runs around putting people like Tommy Sotomayor on her show, which is on a failing network itself.
She gets millions, sometimes tens of millions of views. She's huge, just not on TV.

Monocle

I didn't see a trouncing. I saw a skilled bullshit artist demonstrate her powers of deflection against a sharp host asking the right questions.

People like her are scary because they can mask the insidious core of their message with circular word games. Even when you see right through it, you can't really argue against it because they'll parry any contradicting facts and then swing the conversation back around to their canned talking points.

Debates with such people are an exercise in frustration. Idiots are dazzled by the confident delivery and feel validated in their bullshit, and the informed and critically minded have to endure the sight of yet another fast talking charlatan profiting from the most audacious lies.

Was only able to watch an 8 minute excerpt (blocked in the UK) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyv3PUy5xCk , and I'm not digging Noah's condescending tone to be honest. It seems that she's come there looking to debate, and all he's doing is calling her racist, and taking what she's saying out of context (ex: when she says "What did the KKK do?", she's clearly asking the question to compare what BLM and KKK have/are doing, and not "I don't actually know what the KKK did").

Duh, people are laughing because they know what the KKK have done. The comparison is illogical.

Mesousa

Banned
She gets millions, sometimes tens of millions of views. She's huge, just not on TV.

The blaze cant even afford to hire a new editorial staff for their programming. I'd love to see the receipt on them getting tens of millions of views.

Baki

The blaze cant even afford to hire a new editorial staff for their programming. I'd love to see the receipt on them getting tens of millions of views.

Getting millions of viewers doesn't automatically mean millions in ad revenue. Some brands don't want to be associated with that type of toxic brand.

Chojin

Heard about this fool yesterday in a BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38021995. It's amazing that all you need to be is a pretty, privileged white girl who goes out of her way to target marginalised groups - and suddenly you're a "rising star".

The "underdog" comments got me. Where the fuck do these white people get the energy for the mental gymnastics needed where they're the underdog? I guess everyone likes to think their struggle was the hardest and reminding them they were born with the best natural advantage possible takes that away from them.

How else would they be able to push the "I got here through sheer will and hard work alone" rhetoric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom