• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trollhunters Official Trailer - Guillermo del Toro's cartoon Netflix Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc2049

Am considering watching it with my daughter because I've heard good things about it, but at a glance I'm disappointed that we're stuck with the same white, dark haired male protagonist as 10,000 other shows. The sassy girl pose and rotund nerdy sidekick characters don't instill me with much joy, either.

I binge watched this over a three day period with my five year old daughter and she loved it.

ZoddGutts

I'm at ep 13 and I gotta say I'm surprised by how good this series turned out to be. Thought I'll be another generic saturday morning cartoon but it's nothing like that. Not a fan of the design of the characters since it looks like any Pixar/Dreamworks CG bland designs but you'll eventually get past that. Had more fun watching this than Voltron, my problem with Voltron was it's weak dialogue, Trollhunters doesn't have that problem also the characters are all pretty enjoyable to watch. Was worried the chubby friend would be your another annoying bro sidekick but they've avoided that so far, probably the only friend tag along friend that I've ever enjoy. As for Clare seems like their going to start building up her character now in the mid part of the season.

Overall a pretty fun series to watch, hope the 2nd half of the season continues this momentum it has. Just make sure to continue watch past the first two eps since it's mostly setting up the series in those eps.

Coxy100

Banned
Just finished it. Had no idea that it would end like that (as in just end) with no official confirmation that Part 2 is coming yet.

Fingers crossed! Really enjoyed it - our 3 year old was hooked!

Edit - will also be sad that we have a new voice for Jim .

Aexact

Binge watched.

It was a delightful family adventure with wholesome characters tinged with stuff that I associate with del Toro. The trolls are macabre and consistently alien, with their dietary habits and their threats that manage to be creatively violently PG. The evil troll in particular delivers colorful language about eating and flaying his foes. The troll market is like a brighter, more colorful version of the demon world from Hellboy. Lots of slapstick humor which feels inventive due to the size difference between the humans and trolls.

Can't say I really bought the character shifts though. I mean, they were properly foreshadowed and all but just felt like they needed the character to get to a certain emotional spot but the shift ends up jarringly drastic. The personal feud between the main character and the villain gives the animosity more omph with each encounter, including a delightfully menacing dinner spar with a verbal match where the characters show a fun genre savvy in escalating, "I was clever enough to anticipate your next action" banter. I didn't feel the core basis of the relationship but the scenes that result from setting up that relationship were fast and cutely witty.

Character relationships seem to grow in parallel and the unveiling of the troll history, as individuals and as a race, provides great texture. It's fun fantasy war popcorn.

Overall, the troll angle is what makes it likable. The fantasy rules and stakes are clearly explained, even with the bizarre setting.

Very enjoyable show. I'm usually a fan of these teen destiny shows, and this is one no different, but it works so well regardless. Some fun character interactions too. Hopefully they make a second season.

Tizoc

OK I've made it to Ep. 11 and this is the best ep. so far.
I am quite enjoying it but would've preferred if it weren't 24 eps. long.

MaKTaiL

OK I've made it to Ep. 11 and this is the best ep. so far.
I am quite enjoying it but would've preferred if it weren't 24 eps. long.
There are actually two 13 episode seasons inside one. When you finish episode 13 you will understand what I'm saying.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Snap, this is like the 6th time I've seen the title and thought "Wow, del Toro adapted Trolljegeren to a series with Netflix? Dope!" only to realize this is something entirely different and not my cuppa tea :).

Oh well, at least Øvredal is getting his name out there known with the Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Coxy100

Banned
that's really cool about anton yelchin's work. GDT is being a good dude about putting in effort to keep his voice for future episodes when he could have went the easier route in replacing it.

yep really good - guess he recorded lines for S2 as well when he did S1...

mm04

I've had this on my watch list for awhile for the sole fact that it has GDT attached to it. I finally got around to starting it and while it took a few episodes for me to get into it, I really started liking the characters and the animation as it went on. I just finished the first arc (apparently each story arc is 13 episodes) and found it fun and enjoyable. I'm glad that they will still be able to use Anton's voice for at least part of Season 2, but it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've had this on my watch list for awhile for the sole fact that it has GDT attached to it. I finally got around to starting it and while it took a few episodes for me to get into it, I really started liking the characters and the animation as it went on. I just finished the first arc (apparently each story arc is 13 episodes) and found it fun and enjoyable. I'm glad that they will still be able to use Anton's voice for at least part of Season 2, but it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

The villain for season 2 is even better.

Epcott

Any plans for a third season? Or wait, another order of 26 episodes? Found the show much better than I expected.

Kevinroc

Any plans for a third season? Or wait, another order of 26 episodes? Found the show much better than I expected.

They planned for 52 episodes.

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/829716279669956608

We have 52 episodes mapped for TROLLHUNTERS. We delivered 26 (two 13 episode seasons) in what we called Season1. More to come!

And it doesn't seem like they'll recast Jim (RIP Anton Yelchin).

https://twitter.com/realgdt/status/829714125764907008?lang=en

SEASON 2 of TROLLHUNTERS is confirmed! And we are able to preserve Anton's voice work entirely!

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/829733051643129856

Exactly. We were a YEAR AHEAD of the process. Anton recorded all season on storyboards / animatics.

mm04

Just finished the first season. It's really worth a watch. All the of the characters were very likable and Angor Rot is a great villain. The Strickler dentist scene was one of the most hilariously evil things I've ever seen on an animated show. When I was nearing the end of this season, it made me sad about Anton Yelchin again and his tragic death. The VA cast is really top notch, too. I hope the second season, even with all of the challenges, turns out as good as the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom