• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropical Storm Ida Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeke

Banned
...IDA NEAR THE COAST OF NICARAGUA...HEAVY RAINFALL SPREADING
INLAND...

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE EASTERN COAST OF
NICARAGUA FROM BLUEFIELDS NORTHWARD TO THE HONDURAS/NICARAGUA
BORDER. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE ENTIRE EASTERN
COAST OF NICARAGUA. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL
STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA
WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE.

AT 100 AM EST...0600 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM IDA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 12.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 83.2 WEST OR ABOUT
50 MILES...85 KM...NORTHEAST OF BLUEFIELDS NICARAGUA.

IDA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH...11 KM/HR...AND A
GRADUAL TURN TO THE NORTH-NORTHWEST WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD
SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. ON THE FORECAST
TRACK...IDA SHOULD MAKE LANDFALL ALONG THE EAST COAST OF NICARAGUA
IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 65 MPH...100 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS STILL POSSIBLE...AND IDA COULD
APPROACH HURRICANE INTENSITY BEFORE MAKING LANDFALL. SOME
WEAKENING IS EXPECTED ONCE IDA MOVES INLAND OVER NICARAGUA LATER
TODAY.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 50 MILES...85 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 995 MB...29.38 INCHES.

IDA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 7
INCHES OVER SAN ANDRES ISLAND WITH MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 12 INCHES
POSSIBLE. RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 15 TO 20 INCHES ARE EXPECTED
OVER EASTERN NICARAGUA AND EASTERN HONDURAS WITH MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF
25 INCHES POSSIBLE. THESE RAINS COULD PRODUCE LIFE-THREATENING
FLASH FLOOD AND MUD SLIDES.

A STORM SURGE COULD RAISE WATER LEVELS BY AS MUCH AS 3 FEET ABOVE
GROUND LEVEL ALONG THE EAST COAST OF NICARAGUA...WITH LARGE AND
DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...NEAR AND TO THE NORTH OF WHERE THE
CENTER OF IDA MAKES LANDFALL.

023113.gif

023113W_NL_sm.gif

023113W5_NL_sm.gif

hicbsat.gif

Evlar

Banned
Hmm, looks like it has the potential to come near my home. Or it could snuff out in two days, or land 500 miles away.

I doubt it will have much chance to be a major storm; gulf waters have been cooling for quite a while.

gutshot

Mystagogue said:
I was just thinking this the other day. What the hell happened?? Very disappointing.

It's disappointing to you that thousands of people haven't lost their homes to a natural disaster this year? Wow.

Ra\/en

gutshot said:
It's disappointing to you that thousands of people haven't lost their homes to a natural disaster this year? Wow.

No doubt! My jaw just about dropped when I saw that. I'm sure they were joking though.

I would say it has been a GOOD year.

gutshot said:

Is that what I said? The existence of a more active hurricane season does not guarantee that thousands of people will lose their homes. There's nothing wrong with being in awe of nature.

Xeke

Banned
Ra\/en said:
No doubt! My jaw just about dropped when I saw that. I'm sure they were joking though.

I would say it has been a GOOD year.

I know what he means. It's interesting to watch the storms develop but the loss of life and property damage sucks.

It's like how a tornado tracker wouldn't be happy with a season with no tornado's but it would be bittersweet to have lots of them and people hurt.

Xeke said:
I know what he means. It's interesting to watch the storms develop but the loss of life and property damage sucks.

It's like how a tornado tracker wouldn't be happy with a season with no tornado's but it would be bittersweet to have lots of them and people hurt.

I live in Oklahoma and your tornado analogy is exactly what I am referring to. Hell, we even had our own tropical storm here a couple of years ago!

The waters are already too cool for it to be anything more than a Cat.1 storm. But still, kinda crazy one could form in November. I guess Hurricane season doesn't end till November 30th for a reason.

Xeke

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
The waters are already too cool for it to be anything more than a Cat.1 storm. But still, kinda crazy one could form in November. I guess Hurricane season doesn't end till November 30th for a reason.

Even a Cat one would have a huge affect on the eastern side of the country with all the tropical moisture it'll bring + the cold air to the north.

But if it lingers in the Caribbean for a while longer where the water is still warm it has a chance to quickly intensify. Like if it takes that red spaghetti route.

Kusagari

gutshot said:

I live in Florida and even I've been a bit disappointed lately. Every year since the record breaking season they've hyped it up and they've all been duds.

Kusagari said:
I live in Florida and even I've been a bit disappointed lately. Every year since the record breaking season they've hyped it up and they've all been duds.

I remember that year when they went past the normal alphabet and started having to name hurricanes by numerals or something. it wasn't the normal english alphabet.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
makes me proud that I live in a shit hole called los angeles.
;)

Xeke

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
I remember that year when they went past the normal alphabet and started having to name hurricanes by numerals or something. it wasn't the normal english alphabet.

Greek alphabet. Alpha, Beta...

Welp, Ida is back to a hurricane. 90mph not bad, but....

The GFS model has the hurricane having a direct impact in New Orleans. and if that is the city where it does it's U-Turn. they could get a shit load of rain. Hope the Levi's are repaired............

edit:I like those loop-d-loop spaghetti models that show it swirling all around the gulf without making landfall. on the flip side, theres one that takes it all around the coast from new orleans to miami, and then back into the gulf headed for texas. wouldn't that be a bitch

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If it makes you feel any better, hurricanes are an important method of transferring moisture from tropical latitudes to temperate latitudes. Sure, you get winds and floods, but sometimes that's better than a drought.

Pachinko

I recalll getting shit on by gaf for saying the 2007 hurricane season was a massive dissapointment.

Yeah, loss of life is tragic but I can't be alone in finding the raw destructive energy of nature absolutly fascinating. It's by no means fun to watch , I mean lots of people die, it sucks for them but there's still a level of interest in just how potent a storm our planet can generate.

Same deal with the 2004 tsunami. I mean you guys ever read about the specifics behind it? it was an absolutly colosal earthquake. An entire continental plate slipping 400 feet downwards at the bottom of the ocean, a wave that wobbled the entire planet. But yes, extremly tragic for the 250,000 people that were sucked into the ocean.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Floridians need to move to the west and abandon that state ASAP.

IrishNinja

Verano said:
Floridians need to move to the west and abandon that state ASAP.

im going to need to know your south/central american women percentages before this options is really on the table.

IrishNinja said:
im going to need to know your south/central american women percentages before this options is really on the table.

well I would suggest Laredo Texas. you'de be safe from hurricanes and there's about an 80% mexican population there. but unlike florida, we don't have many cubans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom