• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump:I pardoned Arpaio during hurricane because I thought TV ratings would be higher

jeffram

Unsurprising he is willing to exploit the suffering of others for his personal gain, then not even hesitate to say he's doing it.

jWILL253

Banned
The fact that this man represents the highest office and a third of voters support him means that America is officially a joke.

Hope diablos feels comfortable moonlighting for this fuck. Next Trump supporter is getting slept on sight.

Republicans have some sort of brain disease, unfortunately.

If not a disease, a severe dysfunction. Really think there's something behind this idea. It's fun to talk about it like a joke, but I want to see some deep studies on the brain differences between Trump supporters and those who wouldn't dare.

Afrodium

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong, but I interpreted his statement as a defense. People said he was trying to hide his pardon of Arpaio, so he says no, actually I was trying to make it as visible as I could. It's still totally missing the point, like when he said he wasn't going to pardon him on a particular day because he didn't want controversy. Not to mention that either way, using a hurricane that is still an ongoing emergency to manipulate his own optics is horrible.

I read it that way too. It's super important to remember that Trump is a chronic liar. While it's easy to read this and get angry at him for using a natural disaster to maximize his ratings, there's an equally plausible explanation that he's making this statement to say "Nuh-uh, I wasn't trying to bury this pardon, I did it during the hurricane to be as transparent as possible!"

And knowing Trump's obsession with ratings it's possible he actually is telling the truth here, highlighting a glaring issue in having a POTUS that has completely eroded public trust and left all of his statements up to interpretation.

Terrible
Repugnant
Utterly
Moronic
Person

I wanted to get more informed during the 2016 election season. I regret it since every political news that comes out just makes me angry and sad.

rjinaz

I read it that way too. It's super important to remember that Trump is a chronic liar. While it's easy to read this and get angry at him for using a natural disaster to maximize his ratings, there's an equally plausible explanation that he's making this statement to say "Nuh-uh, I wasn't trying to bury this pardon, I did it during the hurricane to be as transparent as possible!"

And knowing Trump's obsession with ratings it's possible he actually is telling the truth here, highlighting a glaring issue in having a POTUS that has completely eroded public trust and left all of his statements up to interpretation.

Having previously said he would wait so it wouldn't cause problems but then doing it right during a national emergency is not just being transparent. He did it for Trump and couldn't care less about what people were going through.

What happened here is he didn't like people saying he tried to by sly about this so he just went the other way to the extreme to prove them wrong

"I was trying to be as loud as possible".

Yes Trump you were. While people were evacuating and worrying about their homes and livelihood you wanted the country to know you pardoned a criminal racist. You wanted the approval.

We got the message loud and clear. He should have just let them say he did it on the sly but he just couldn't help himself he has to be right.

I mean I don't disagree with you entirely but it almost seems like you were saying Trump really did nothing wrong here it's just because nobody trusts him anymore so they assume the worst.

Zolo

Nothing will make his base waver. Trust me, I've seen the insane devotion to this guy. His followers are more like a cult.

Pretty much. His base at this point is naive old people, racists, and trolls who get a kick out of the misery of others. The fact that percentage of people make up at least around 25-30% of the US is horrifying.

NimbusD

He's literally the president and doesn't even have a modicum of understanding of basic government workings. He literally thinks that the conviction of arpaio was a decision that was tied to the election? He's off his fucking rocker.

Zolo

He's literally the president and doesn't even have a modicum of understanding of basic government workings. He literally thinks that the conviction of arpaio was a decision that was tied to the election? He's off his fucking rocker.

See. This is the thing people should remember about Trump. It's not that he's just malicious. It's not that he just only cares about himself. It's not that he's just dumb. Trump is genuinely a dude who clearly has psychological and mental problems.

Afrodium

Banned
Having previously said he would wait so it wouldn't cause problems but then doing it right during a national emergency is not just being transparent. He did it for Trump and couldn't care less about what people were going through.

What happened here is he didn't like people saying he tried to by sly about this so he just went the other way to the extreme to prove them wrong

"I was trying to be as loud as possible".

Yes Trump you were. While people were evacuating and worrying about their homes and livelihood you wanted the country to know you pardoned a criminal racist. You wanted the approval.

We got the message loud and clear. He should have just let them say he did it on the sly but he just couldn't help himself he has to be right.

I mean I don't disagree with you entirely but it almost seems like you were saying Trump really did nothing wrong here it's just because nobody trusts him anymore so they assume the worst.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that there's also a probability that the statement this thread about is a lie, and that he's saying it to counteract the narrative from the "fake news" that he tried to silently push the pardon through while the hurricane was taking up coverage. I really don't view it as a positive that the President of the United States is such a known liar that literally every comment he makes is worthy of skepticism, so don't misinterpret my post as me going to bat for Trump.

Nevasleep

We need Texans to step up and help each other in this time of crisis.........help each other watch me, Donald J Trump biggest electoral college vote, on TV.

rjinaz

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that there's also a probability that the statement this thread about is a lie, and that he's saying it to counteract the narrative from the "fake news" that he tried to silently push the pardon through while the hurricane was taking up coverage. I really don't view it as a positive that the President of the United States is such a known liar that literally every comment he makes is worthy of skepticism, so don't misinterpret my post as me going to bat for Trump.

It is entirely possible that Trump is actually being sincere here and that was his original intention all along, to get the most attention as possible for his bigly news, and the media got it wrong. I guess that's what you are saying and you're probably right.

Of course in this situation there is no way for Trump to come across as good because not only could he have waited for the pardon for a more appropriate time, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place, or at least not until his last couple of months as president.

Trump being Trump actually took what the media was saying and corrected them even though it makes him look worse for actually wanting the attention during a crises as opposed to trying to sneak something in.

But that's Trump, he's pretty consistent. Report comes out, Wh denies it, Trump then makes it worse somehow. This falls into that similar pattern.

Top Bottom