• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Invites Rodrigo Duterte to the White House

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hasn't Duterte literally murdered people with his own hands? I'm not sure the official White House policy should be anything other than stern condemnation.

He's said that he killed several random people just to demonstrate how easy it is to kill, like a villain in an '80s action movie.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Trump is probably envious of Duterte's freedom from bureaucracy (and just basic civil rights?) as well as his unfortunate popular support back home. He wishes he could do the same things Duterte does and get applauded for it.

Tugatrix

Nothing good will come of this and let's not forget how China and Philippines have a dispute over the south china sea, President Xi will be very happy with these two meeting

RPGCrazied

Of course he would. Only a matter of time before Putin gets an invite. Plus, there is a reason why they got rid of the visitor logs.

Aselith

Yeah, meeting the leader of the country with the biggest pile of nukes? Where will it end? Look I hate Trump as much as the next Gaffer but the US has long list of of having relations with deplorable countries. Every nation on the planet does. I don't consider this a big deal because it's not usual or unexpected. It's just foreign policy.

You think we're so innocent?

Trump is probably envious of Duterte's freedom from bureaucracy (and just basic civil rights?) as well as his unfortunate popular support back home. He wishes he could do the same things Duterte does and get applauded for it.

if trump the same thing duterte does trump voters will still support him

RPGCrazied

Its more appalling Republican's in congress thinks this is normal. A leader that kills his own citizens and compares his killings to the holocaust.

Y-Z

TBF, I wouldn't consider it unusual for the president (and I use the term loosely) to meet with the leader of a major ally. It's not like Obama hasn't met with a Saudi prince before...

Yeah, this seems pretty normal. Saudi Arabia is a horrible country to it's citizens and to the countless import workers (Slaves) yet they never seem to get a hard time by politicians.

So yeah, where are those people who were saying that Trump didn't wanna be a dictator at huh? Because a lot of stuff in the news is saying otherwise.

RPGCrazied

So yeah, where are those people who were saying that Trump didn't wanna be a dictator at huh? Because a lot of stuff in the news is saying otherwise.

I think he is trying to be impeached. His ego won't let him just resign, maybe he is just being so awful Republicans will remove him, and then he can just tell his base it was rigged.

I think he is trying to be impeached. His ego won't let him just resign, maybe he is just being so awful Republicans will remove him, and then he can just tell his base it was rigged.

It's a vicious cycle though, because his ignorant base loves the stuff he is doing. So it continues, and folks like us suffer for it.

Mathieran

Banned
I get that sometimes you have to meet with leaders of countries you don't approve of, but usually when that happens you try to talk them out of some of the horrible shit they do, or you negotiate necessary business transactions.

But trump wants him here because he likes him and wants to take notes about how to do deal with drugs the same way Duterte does. So it's not really the same.

Tovarisc

5TW3CRQ.png

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/858825082063474690

Moonkid

Australia and New Zealand had no spine with him last year on his tour, would expect no different from the U.S. though in this instance Trump went out of his way to invite him.

I get that sometimes you have to meet with leaders of countries you don't approve of, but usually when that happens you try to talk them out of some of the horrible shit they do, or you negotiate necessary business transactions.

But trump wants him here because he likes him and wants to take notes about how to do deal with drugs the same way Duterte does. So it's not really the same.

A-Fucking-Men.

As for that "pesky Constitution," Trump is already signaling that it's archaic and needs to be updated, especially the First Amendment.

Nothing good will come of this and let's not forget how China and Philippines have a dispute over the south china sea, President Xi will be very happy with these two meeting

He is extremely friendly with China. Philippines foreign policy shifted alot when duterte took over.

Arkam

This is pretty easy to understand. Duterte has been flirting with China and Russia recently and that makes Washington worried. The Philippines is strategically significant to the US. It is the physical gate to the Pacific from SEA/South china sea. If they pivot to the east the US loses their strangle hold on the region.

If you think this has anything to do with Trump or Duterte personally you need to grow up, look at a map and start reading some books.

BajiBoxer

Banned
This is pretty easy to understand. Duterte has been flirting with China and Russia recently and that makes Washington worried. The Philippines is strategically significant to the US. It is the physical gate to the Pacific from SEA/South china sea. If they pivot to the east the US loses their strangle hold on the region.

If you think this has anything to do with Trump or Duterte personally you need to grow up, look at a map and start reading some books.
You're kind of dense if you think Trump is thinking about any of that. It's about admiration for strongarm dictators, and personal profit. It's 100% personal.

Arkam

You're kind of dense if you think Trump is thinking about any of that. It's about admiration for strongarm dictators, and personal profit. It's 100% personal.

Thanks for the insult, but anyone with basic knowledge of geopolitics can see the obvious. It is the same reason we play nice with Erdogan. We dont have to agree to work towards what is in our self interest. Same reason the US backs every butcher.

Black_Sun

So much for American exceptionalism. Just because everyone is being a shit doesn't give you an excuse to be one.

Scumbag countries don't deserve our friendship and should only be delt with as necessary.

Too bad we're also a scumbag country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom