• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump supports raising minimum wage to $10, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJPIA

I feel like he is stating two different opposing thoughts at the same time here.
http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-federal-minimum-wage-2016-7
Trump slammed former Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders for saying, in his Monday speech at the Democratic National Convention, that Trump doesn't support raising the federal minimum wage.

Sanders also said that Trump believes "that states should actually have the right to lower the minimum wage below $7.25."

"He lied last night, I mean it was a total lie and everybody said it," Trump said on "The O'Reilly Factor" in response to Sanders.

PolitiFact, for its part, rated Sanders' statement as "mostly true."
"In fact, some of the folks on your network said, 'Wow that was really a lie; he said that I wanted to go less than minimum wage' — this is a new one because I'm the one Republican that said in some cases we have to go more than minimum wage, but what I like is states," he said.

Repeating an earlier position, Trump advocated for leaving the minimum wage up to individual states.

"You go with the states — let the states make the determination because if you take New York, it's very expensive to live in New York, they need more than you know seven, eight, nine dollars," he said. "So you go with the states and let the states make the determination."

But then he said that he would also set a federal minimum wage.

"There doesn't have to be — well, I would leave it and raise it somewhat," Trump said. "You need to help people and I know it's not very Republican to say, but you need to help people."

He continued: "I would say $10, but with the understanding that somebody like me is going to bring back jobs, I don't want people to be in that $10 category for very long. But the thing is, Bill, let the states make the — they're not doing that for the most part."

The federal minimum wage is currently set at $7.25.

Trump's proposal for a $10 federal minimum wage contrasts with earlier statements that he has made. PolitiFact noted Trump's response to a question in May on NBC's "Meet the Press," when he was asked whether the federal government should set a floor for the minimum wage and then let states decide if they want to go above that.

"No, I'd rather have the states go out and do what they have to do," Trump said then. "And the states compete with each other, not only other countries, but they compete with each other. ... So I like the idea of let the states decide. But I think people should get more."

Interview here I believe.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/50516498...te-change-and-nato/?playlist_id=2114913880001
Did a search and saw nothing, lower minimum wage if old.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"You need to help people and I know it's not very Republican to say, but you need to help people."

Thanks for the free attack ad for downticket races, Trump.

Trump has this weird habit of making minor concessions within absolutely insane policy proposals and acts as though this makes his ideas middle-of-the-road centrism.

See also
"door in the wall"
"Until we figure out what's going on"
etc etc.

Ms.Galaxy

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/donald-trump-wages-215812

“I can’t be…and the reason I can’t be is because we are a country that is being beaten on every front,” Trump said on Tuesday night. “Taxes too high, wages too high, we’re not going to be able to compete against the world.”

But on Fox News’ “Special Report” Thursday he insisted that he never said wages were too high, just that the minimum wage should not increase.

This man can't make up his mind at all.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
"There doesn't have to be — well, I would leave it and raise it somewhat," Trump said. "You need to help people and I know it's not very Republican to say, but you need to help people."
The party of Christianity, people.

Sure would be nice if this matter-of-fact evaluation of Repubs being seen as loathe to help people would inspire a bit of introspection within the party. Suuuure would be nice.

This train of thought thing was cute for Trump during the primaries

But now it's pretty laughable. Double-talk everywhere! Only the best~!

Oh Donald, if it wasn't for all the bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and lack of a grasp on reality, a part of me would have loved seeing you in office. If only to see how republicans would have reacted when you went rogue and tried pushing through what you wanted with no regards for their loony platform.

GaimeGuy

"Wages are too high."
"We shouldn't increase the minimum wage"
"We should increase the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10."
"The minimum wage should be left up to the states."

How the fuck can anyone either want to vote for this man or not want to vote against this man?!

people voting trump or 3rd party... you're just sad. Forget POTUS - You shouldn't even be voting for class president.

devilhawk

Does PolitiFact have a True and False label?

Would seem there are a ton of issues where Trump has said two very different things.

spock

Oh Donald, if it wasn't for all the bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and lack of a grasp on reality, a part of me would have loved seeing you in office. If only to see how republicans would have reacted when you went rogue and tried pushing through what you wanted with no regards for their loony platform.

I'm in the same boat. I'm a bernie guy but it would be interesting to see what the fuck trump actually does in contrast to what he says. Because he can flip on a dime and buyin fully, he can pull the thing on the republicans while in office and that would be quite a show. Would they fight him. lol? Puts them in a big WTF situation.

Wow that's a whole banana's worth. Thanks Trump!

giphy.gif

HarryKS

"Wages are too high."

How the fuck can anyone either want to vote for this man or not want to vote against this man?!

people voting trump or 3rd party... you're just sad. Forget POTUS - You shouldn't even be voting for class president.

Wtf.

Chill pill dude, chill pill.

GaimeGuy

Wtf.

Chill pill dude, chill pill.

He has no policies to speak of, no principles, and no record to speak of. Only fear, hatred, and a longing for the past. There is nothing there. How can you support him?

I'm not going to chill when the most consistent view this man has is that he wants to cleanse the nation of all muslims and hispanics. I'm Jewish. My grandmother remembers the holocaust. My parents remember when Jews couldn't own property in certain areas, or have admitting privileges at hospitals. The 30s and 40s weren't that long ago. The 70s weren't that long ago.

TarNaru33

Banned
"Wages are too high."

Technically anyone voting 3rd party IS voting against him, just not in favor of the one you want to win. It is sad people feel that a vote that isn't for Hillary is the same as a vote for Trump.

EDIT: It is sad people are voting for him though, but most of those people I do not think do much research into politics and just hate Hillary and vote along party lines.

Steel

Banned
"I know it's not very Republican to say, but you need to help people."

Hahahahahahaha

D-Did he just back-hand the entire republican party while backtracking?

Technically anyone voting 3rd party IS voting against him, just not in favor of the one you want to win. It is sad people feel that a vote that isn't for Hillary is the same as a vote for Trump.

EDIT: It is sad people are voting for him though, but most of those people I do not think do much research into politics and just hate Hillary and vote along party lines.

That's not how our electoral system works. I'd rather it work that way, but....

Pizza

"I love planned parenthood they're really great and do a lot of good for a lot of women but they're awful and we need to defund them"

Given the cost of living varies so widely from state to state, and even city to city, to me there's an argument against a nationwide minimum wage. Every state should have a minimum wage, but that minimum wage should vary across the country. A $22/hr minimum wage makes sense in San Francisco, but isn't necessary in Tulsa Oklahoma

GaimeGuy

If we abolished the electoral college and implemented preferential voting as a replacement for our current First-Past-The-Post system, sure.

Under our current system? That's another story.

NateDrake

Listen, I know wages, and America has some of the best wages in the world. I pay my people amazing wages...nobody pays wages like I do. Trump employees...like the ones protesting in Atlantic City will tell you they have the best wages in the city.

Torokil

"I know it's not very Republican to say, but you need to help people."

Hahahahahahaha

I love these rare moments of clarity where Trump calls out Reaganomics on its bullshit, like with eminent domain and him defending progressive income tax in the debates.

Given the cost of living varies so widely from state to state, and even city to city, to me there's an argument against a nationwide minimum wage. Every state should have a minimum wage, but that minimum wage should vary across the country. A $22/hr minimum wage makes sense in San Francisco, but isn't necessary in Tulsa Oklahoma

That's why we DO have state minimum wages. The federal minimum wage isn't designed to support people in cities such as your example of San Francisco. It's just setting the absolute floor for the nation to prevent any states from sinking below. Realistically it's not even designed for many places with lower costs of living either, it's just the emergency back-up since the Fed can't dictate state-specific minimums and trying to solely rely on a blanket national minimum is unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom