• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Why do they even have the anthem before a high school game?

RPGCrazied

Shortly after...

CbasqEz.jpg

Sweet. I like people that don't cave under pressure. I'm sure many team owners are probably displeased. Good. I want more and more players to kneel so that owners can't do a fucking thing but do what players want.

Cam Newton did the damn black power fist after he scored a TD today.

Haven't seen that ANYWHERE so I'm assuming people have already just entirely moved on from the "divisive" NFL.

Euphor!a

Banned

Haven't seen that ANYWHERE so I'm assuming people have already just entirely moved on from the "divisive" NFL.

You have not been watching much football then, its been around a lot, both after touchdowns and during the national anthem.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I wonder if it was at a public school? The free speech rights of students are not as liberal as those of adults, but they are not void, either.

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to do a public school. Supreme court ruled many years ago that students can not be forced or coerced into acts of nationalism.

chaos789

Banned
Has Micheal Bennett and Marshawn Lynch continued to kneel or sit during the anthem? Hopefully the players that were doing it before Trump opened his mouth continue to do so.

Has Micheal Bennett and Marshawn Lynch continued to kneel or sit during the anthem? Hopefully the players that were doing it before Trump opened his mouth continue to do so.
You can see Marshawn sitting in the pic above and Michael Bennett did kneel for the anthem with a few of his teammates.

Gorillaz

The shield does what the shield does and shut that shit down on all fronts.

a week from now it won't even be discussed if even that

Dishwalla

Banned
Every effort being made to hide him from cameras. smh.

There are currently rumors of friction in the Raiders locker room between players that kneel/sit and players that stand for the anthem(namely the Raiders quarterback Derek Carr), I'm thinking this picture has something to do with that rather than them trying to "hide" Lynch from the media due to shame.

My family had the Jets game on and I saw a Verizon commercial thanking first responders. I don't watch football so I'm wondering, is this level of propaganda normal or is Verizon hopping on the "omg our police are under attack by kneeling Blacks" bandwagon?

Link

The Autumn Wind
My family had the Jets game on and I saw a Verizon commercial thanking first responders. I don't watch football so I'm wondering, is this level of propaganda normal or is Verizon hopping on the "omg our police are under attack by kneeling Blacks" bandwagon?
Wouldn’t surprise me. All these companies are run by old rich white men that usually donate large amounts of money to Republicans, including Trump.

Infinite

You have not been watching much football then, its been around a lot, both after touchdowns and during the national anthem.
Can you blame them? The quality of play is getting worse.

Ontopic: crazy how this shit got co-opted so fast but I guess I shouldn't be surprised

So yeah, looks like kneeling is dead. Much like this topic. Trump and the NFL has successfully killed it. Barely any teams had people kneeling during the anthem. The 49ers had half the team kneel during, but every other team either did nothing, stood and locked arms, or kneeled before the anthem and then stood for it.

But it's all good guys. Those guys that kneeled last week made their statement. They showed Trump who's boss. Like I said in my topic where I was so rudely mocked before getting locked, I have zero respect for any of those NFL players that kneeled for the first time last week. They showed their true colors when they didn't do shit this week.

Yet people are taking about the protest now more then ever, wasn't that the goal?

Yet people are taking about the protest now more then ever, wasn't that the goal?
The goal of protest is to create so much tension that people in power are forced to make changes. Just talking usually leads to a parallel conclusion: everyone's just talking. For example, gun control in America.

Public opinion does not mean shit in activism, despite the hand-wringing people in protest threads here from people who never do any activism always being mistaken in thinking protests are about winning them over, like their decades of inaction and making excuses is a vital source of revolutionary power. I don't blame passive people for seeing the world this way; I thought everything was somehow about me too until I gained perspective from actually participating and listening to those who have done this their whole lives and know better.

The goal of protest is to create so much tension that people in power are forced to make changes. Just talking usually leads to a parallel conclusion: everyone's just talking. For example, gun control in America.

Public opinion does not mean shit in activism, despite the people here who never do any activism at all always being mistaken in thinking protests are all about winning them over, like their decades of inaction and making excuses is a vital source of revolutionary power. I don't blame passive people for seeing the world this way; I thought everything was somehow about me too until I gained perspective from actually participating and listening to those who have done this their whole lives and know better.

Damn, this is dope.

Public opinion does not mean shit in activism, despite the hand-wringing people in protest threads here from people who never do any activism always being mistaken in thinking protests are about winning them over, like their decades of inaction and making excuses is a vital source of revolutionary power. I don't blame passive people for seeing the world this way; I thought everything was somehow about me too until I gained perspective from actually participating and listening to those who have done this their whole lives and know better.
Excellent post, quoting for new page.

A saints player did it after a TD last week and they immediately cut away as the fist was going up.

FStubbs

Great post.

Instro

Marcus Peters started that at the beginning of last season, both during the game and during the anthem. A lot of players are doing it now, although it seems like the camera will avoid capturing it.

Martha Ford, the owner of the Lions ask players not to kneel in exchange for support of player's causes. She is willing to put money and her name into helping community issues the players want to address. Still so many will say this protest isn't helping anything or addressing the issues.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...neel-pledges-financial-support-players-causes

For support of player's causes? They are kneeling because of instiutionalized racism. It's not to disrespect the flag and it won't be for any other bullshit reason other people try to map onto them. It's because there are racial injustices in america no matter how much people try to deny it.

SKINNER!

Banned
Martha Ford, the owner of the Lions ask players not to kneel in exchange for support of player's causes. She is willing to put money and her name into helping community issues the players want to address. Still so many will say this protest isn't helping anything or addressing the issues.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...neel-pledges-financial-support-players-causes

Martha: Look guys. We ALL took part in your stunt protest last week. Woopie! Now, please don't kneel this weekend and further embarrass me in front of President Fanta. Tell you what, you guys DON'T voice your opinion and DON'T exercise your right to protest and I'll throw money at some sick kids in hospital. How about that?

How about you throw some fucking money at your team.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Martha: Look guys. We ALL took part in your stunt protest last week. Woopie! Now, please don't kneel this weekend and further embarrass me in front of President Fanta. Tell you what, you guys DON'T voice your opinion and DON'T exercise your right to protest and I'll throw money at some sick kids in hospital. How about that?

How about you throw some fucking money at your team.

I think she wants to throw money at their "causes for racial equality" though.

So that's it? Puerto Rico and Las Vegas drowned this issue and we're done here? How many players protested this last week?

And what the fuck was going on with Lynch's teammates?!

hbkdx12

So that's it? Puerto Rico and Las Vegas drowned this issue and we're done here? How many players protested this last week?

And what the fuck was going on with Lynch's teammates?!
It was going to get drowned out regardless. The league took all of like 2 days to completely co-opt and dilute the fuck out of Kaep's protest. The whole thing would have took on a whole new meaning and been spun into some amazing PR for the NFL about america/patriotism by the end of the month.

Hell, they can (and probably will) easily use the shooting in Vegas to help push that narrative even further.

"Lets all come together as Americans and joins hands in unity and stand together for those slain in Las Vegas" Something to that effect

Ac30

That is just fucking pathetic. Gotta say though, thanks Pence, now the protests are back in the national spotlight!

Discourse

Why is the national anthem played before American team sports? I can understand if it's country vs country but before every sports game is a bit much.

Top Bottom