• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TS3:FP - New Screens from all 3 Versions

olimario

Banned
MORE HERE
http://www.gu-videogames.de/uni-gamecube/index.php3?page=shownews&newsid=2292

I can't wait for this. After playing Halo and Ts2 multi this weekend, I've found I like Ts2 quite a bit more. Its more fun and more polished and more to my liking.
Can't wait for FP.

Nintendo GameCube
9647.jpg
9651.jpg

Xbox
9639.jpg
9642.jpg

PS2
9636.jpg
9638.jpg

I hope it flops. The Timesplitter series give console fps's a bad name. I lump it together with Red Faction, Dead Man's Hand and the rest of the crap. The whole time warping concept was cool back when Daikana was a gleem in Romero's eye, but nowadays this crap plot device sticks out like a sore thumb.

TS2 looked sweet, with all the options and pretty cool looking locations and what not..

but i could never get the control down, and tried to tweak it and what not, but eventually gave up and traded it with someone..

considering i got down the RTCW controls, which I thought I never would after hundreds of hours with halo, I may give TS2 a go again.

Daxter Too said:
I hope it flops. The Timesplitter series give console fps's a bad name. I lump it together with Red Faction, Dead Man's Hand and the rest of the crap. The whole time warping concept was cool back when Daikana was a gleem in Romero's eye, but nowadays this crap plot device sticks out like a sore thumb.

OH DOODZ, I KNOW!! HALO IS LIKE SOOO ORIGINAL!!!

Come on man, Timesplitters did not give console FPS's a bad name. What a load of crap. It was a good game in it's own right. TS2's multiplayer was better than Halo, IMO. So was the single player.

Error Macro said:
OH DOODZ, I KNOW!! HALO IS LIKE SOOO ORIGINAL!!!

Come on man, Timesplitters did not give console FPS's a bad name. What a load of crap. It was a good game in it's own right. TS2's multiplayer was better than Halo, IMO. So was the single player.

You LIKED TS2's single player but disliked Halo's? You are comparing hamburger and steak.

Daxter Too said:
You LIKED TS2's single player but disliked Halo's? You are comparing hamburger and steak.

I didn't say I disliked Halo's single player. I said I liked TS2's better. There's a big difference.

Oli, sort of off topic, but why did you feel Halo was less polished than TS2? I can understand having more fun and liking TS2 more but I don't see how it is more polished.

Also only sort of related, I was just thinking how there must be some sort of correlation between people who like Smash Brothers Melee and people who like TS2 due to the large amount of options and sheer stuff contained in both.

olimario

Banned
Everything felt so loose and slopped together in Halo's multiplayer. From controls, to item pickup, to shooting, to the satisfaction of your bullets hitting an opponent. It just felt so stale and so unpolished to me. I have no fun playing Halo multi.

olimario said:
Everything felt so loose and slopped together in Halo's multiplayer. From controls, to item pickup, to shooting, to the satisfaction of your bullets hitting an opponent. It just felt so stale and so unpolished to me.

Translation: Needs more Kirby

LuckyBrand said:
4 vs 4 or 8 vs 8 CTF on Blood Gulch is essentially God's gift to man.. I saw nothing of its equal in TS2.
team games suck, especially when you're good so everyone wants you to play with the shitty players...

olimario said:
Everything felt so loose and slopped together in Halo's multiplayer. From controls, to item pickup, to shooting, to the satisfaction of your bullets hitting an opponent. It just felt so stale and so unpolished to me. I have no fun playing Halo multi.

I must say I feel quite the opposite. Explosions in Timesplitters have no impact... in Halo you have bodies, guns and vehicles flying, Timesplitters has a flash of light and a body collapsing at the same spot to the ground. Same with something like hitting someone in the back of the head with your gun... you can almost feel it. Well I can at least.

Edit: Wanted to get that top part out while it was in my head.

Controls I'll just leave to a matter of opinion, if you would care to elaborate I am interested in why you feel that way. Item pickup I'm not sure what you mean... I think its like as far as needing to push a button to pick up a gun, as opposed to TS where it auto pickups, right?

It's unfortunate you didn't have fun playing Halo. It really is a good multiplayer game.

Kettch

I've had much more fun with TS2's multiplayer than I did with Halo. Just the last few days I've been playing four player matches with the kids around here, leech-all pistols, training ground elimination, and countless virus games. Halo is just too slow in comparison, it's hard going back to it.

The Faceless Master said:
team games suck, especially when you're good so everyone wants you to play with the shitty players...

But then you have legions of cannon fodder to do your bidding. And they should do your bidding if they recognize you as the best player. LEGIONS I TELL YOU!

I must say I feel quite the opposite. Explosions in Timesplitters have no impact... in Halo you have bodies, guns and vehicles flying, Timesplitters has a flash of light and a body collapsing at the same spot to the ground. Same with something like hitting someone in the back of the head with your gun... you can almost feel it. Well I can at least.

Edit: Wanted to get that top part out while it was in my head.

Controls I'll just leave to a matter of opinion, if you would care to elaborate I am interested in why you feel that way. Item pickup I'm not sure what you mean... I think its like as far as needing to push a button to pick up a gun, as opposed to TS where it auto pickups, right?

It's unfortunate you didn't have fun playing Halo. It really is a good multiplayer game.

Nice post.

I enjoyed both games greatly though I played TS2 multiplayer much much more because only one of my friends has an Xbox. The options in Timesplitters multiplayer are fantastic and I doubt even Halo 2 will catch up in that regard (they seem to be working on other things), but I do hope they fix the awful aiming in TS2: the sniper rifle is the most useless gun in any first person shooter ever. It was hard to go back to TS2 at first because of the shit controls and crazy speed, but I think both have their qualities. Also, Halo is a slower more methodical game (especially when playing snipers) unless you have system link with more than four players and all that jazz. There's a visceral rush in playing a TS scenario, like... only shotguns and bricks in the hospital with 8 Zombie bots rushing everywhere. Timsplitters2 may be a cheeseburger to Halo's filet mignon, but sometimes you get sick of steak.

Bigfoot

olimario said:
I liked TS2's multiplayer over Halo's. Large margin.
I liked TS2's single over Halo's. Smaller margin.
I actually agree with this somewhat, but I think what makes Halo slightly better than TS2 is the co-op, although TS2 co-op was great as well.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
olimario: You need to give Halo multiplayer a fair chance. It gets a lot better once you've played it for 60 hours.

etiolate

Banned
A bazooka on top of a moving train sounds like fun to me.

When I switched to Goldeneye style controls for TS2 then I had no problems. The PS2 textures are a real dropoff from the rest. Would I rather have online on PS2 or better controller and textures on GC?

Prine

Banned
Both TS games were garbage. Bad controls, unsatisfying kills, poor level design, too fast for its own good, really bad graphics, weapons all felt the same, hidden snipers etc etc

What the happened to the Goldeneye team? They floped

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
olimario said:
I liked TS2's multiplayer over Halo's. Large margin.
I liked TS2's single over Halo's. Smaller margin.

Damn, you don't have very good tastes in gaming do you? :p

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Reasons why I enjoying playing TS2 in multiplayer more than Halo:

Bots
Good framerate
Sticky bombs
Monkeys

Jacobi

Banned
I actually still like Perfect Dark more than TS2...TS2 just wasn't fun, yeah there were monkeys and other shit, but it WASN'T FUN. PD has really shitty graphics with 3 players, but it IS fun.

Jacobi

Banned
etiolate said:

When I switched to Goldeneye style controls for TS2 then I had no problems. The PS2 textures are a real dropoff from the rest. Would I rather have online on PS2 or better controller and textures on GC?
I didn't see any nice textures on GC...

dark10x

etiolate said:

Textures will be virtually the same with XBOX and GC versions featuring detail maps applied to some textures.

Choosing between the PS2 and GC controllers for an FPS title is like picking through a garbage can. They both suck for this type of game (ESPECIALLY the GC pad and that shit C-stick).

Get it for XBOX if you are so concerned about having the best version (as it will be the best version).

human5892

Queen of Denmark
TS2 multiplayer has bots, Halo does not. TS2 wins.

I also prefer the frantic pace of TS2 multi to Halo. Going from the former to the latter makes Halo feel like molasses. Although I certainly don't mind Halo multiplayer.

dark10x

human5892 said:
TS2 multiplayer has bots, Halo does not. TS2 wins.

I also prefer the frantic pace of TS2 multi to Halo. Going from the former to the latter makes Halo feel like molasses. Although I certainly don't mind Halo multiplayer.

Halo multiplayer isn't for everyone DUE to the speed. It is MUCH slower than most any other similar game...but has so much more depth as well. It is a very strategic FPS and requires a lot of thought and planning in realtime. It also has a much greater skill curve...

TS2 is a simplistic game in comparison (very simplistic). However, some people just prefer the high speed and flash...

Suerte

Halo multiplayer maps >>>>>>>>>>>> TS2 multiplayer maps.

Also Turok 2/Rage Wars had better use of monkey's than TS2.

Choosing between the PS2 and GC controllers for an FPS title is like picking through a garbage can. They both suck for this type of game (ESPECIALLY the GC pad and that shit C-stick).

Um no, I've never had a problem with the c stick, and really, both the gamecube and xbox controllers and light years ahead of PS2 in terms of FPS. I mean, the two sticks are both out of reach, and have no very little resistance. And how can people have a problem with the c-stick? Both sticks on the gamecube controller have a rubber top, so slippage isn't an issue for me.

aku:jiki

Kiriku said:
Reasons why I enjoying playing TS2 in multiplayer more than Halo:

Bots
Good framerate
Sticky bombs
Monkeys
Covenant grenades in Halo are sticky?

Anyone who claims to like TS2 over Halo is (consciously or not) trying to be different. Fact.

"Halo multiplayer isn't for everyone DUE to the speed. It is MUCH slower than most any other similar game...but has so much more depth as well. It is a very strategic FPS and requires a lot of thought and planning in realtime. It also has a much greater skill curve..."

...BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Redbeard

Banned
I'm someone who generally doesn't care about character design one way or another, but the characters and overall style of the TimeSplitters series gives me the dry heaves.

dark10x

Tre said:
"Halo multiplayer isn't for everyone DUE to the speed. It is MUCH slower than most any other similar game...but has so much more depth as well. It is a very strategic FPS and requires a lot of thought and planning in realtime. It also has a much greater skill curve..."

...BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh no? I how about proving me wrong then...

Find me a few DEATHMATCH games with MORE depth than Halo.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Redbeard said:
I'm someone who generally doesn't care about character design one way or another, but the characters and overall style of the TimeSplitters series gives me the dry heaves.
Even as a fan of TS2, I wholeheartedly agree.

dark10x said:
Oh no? I how about proving me wrong then...

Find me a few DEATHMATCH games with MORE depth than Halo.

Depth? In Halo? Even Doom has more depth and strategy than Halo. Halo is a good game, and an awesome MP game, and only because it's an easy pick-and-play game IMO.

Top Bottom