• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War - on Netflix is pretty good

Tieno

Seen it. Really liked. Lots of nuances and history i didnt know before. You can see how history seeds the problems of today, fascinating.

The hopefulness of the fall of berlin wall was so short lived.
The peacefull protests in Leipzig moved me to tears, such a profound human moment in history.

Still remember flashes of how my mom reacted when she found out the wall fell. I was 4 years old. It's kinda weird seeing the last episodes, having lived through and remembering large parts of it. Makes me feel old

Last edited:
Seen it. Really liked. Lots of nuances and history i didnt know before. You can see how history seeds the problems of today, fascinating.

The hopefulness of the fall of berlin wall was so short lived.
The peacefull protests in Leipzig moved me to tears, such a profound human moment in history.

Still remember flashes of how my mom reacted when she found out the wall fell. I was 4 years old. It's kinda weird seeing the last episodes, having lived through and remembering large parts of it. Makes me feel old
As I watch stuff like this I keep thinking of how those people were actually survivors and fighters for freedom. Not the self righteous, ego-centered fucks we have today who think they're doing something for the minorities. Those are the people who went through hell and back and deserve our respect.

cebri.one

A lot of misinformation just by watching the trailer. The guy that says that the "cold war was cold, and now we have a hot war" knows about the Korean, Vietnamese and Afghan War right? About the Yom Kippur war which forced Nixon to declare Defcon 3?

Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

A lot of misinformation just by watching the trailer. The guy that says that the "cold war was cold, and now we have a hot war" knows about the Korean, Vietnamese and Afghan War right? About the Yom Kippur war which forced Nixon to declare Defcon 3?

I believe he was referring to Peer/Near-peer conflict considering both sides armed with nukes, not proxies.

Tieno

As I watch stuff like this I keep thinking of how those people were actually survivors and fighters for freedom. Not the self righteous, ego-centered fucks we have today who think they're doing something for the minorities. Those are the people who went through hell and back and deserve our respect.
Yes, when I see or read about this I keep getting reminded of the movie Cloud Atlas. It had a profound impact in how I see and feel the interconnectedness and bravery of the actions of people and groups of people throughout history.

Belief, like fear or love, is a force to be understood as we understand the theory of relativity and principals of uncertainty. Phenomena that determine the course of our lives. Yesterday, my life was headed in one direction. Today, it is headed in another. Yesterday, I believe I would never have done what I did today. These forces that often remake time and space, that can shape and alter who we imagine ourselves to be, begin long before we are born and continue after we perish. Our lives and our choices, like quantum trajectories, are understood moment to moment. That each point of intersection, each encounter, suggest a new potential direction. Proposition, I have fallen in love with Luisa Rey. Is this possible? I just met her and yet, I feel like something important has happened to me.

And especially this one. It gives me immense gratitude to those people who were able, or at least tried, to birth our future with kindness.
To be is to be perceived, and so to know thyself is only possible through the eyes of the other. The nature of our immortal lives is in the consequences of our words and deeds, that go on and are pushing themselves throughout all time.

- Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

When I see history documentaries like these one, it can give me immense hope that some people still were able to do this. When I saw the part about the Leipzig protests, I felt that.

Last edited:

cebri.one

I believe he was referring to Peer/Near-peer conflict considering both sides armed with nukes, not proxies.
During the Korean war, Soviet pilots with Soviet fighters (with a north korean flag) were shutting down American planes. There is really nothing new.

Top Bottom