• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gun_haver

I agree. There is indeed something wrong with the crowd.
I am not sure if Lynch is being intentional with that or it's just a bit sloppy editing.

I've been assuming that the editing has been sloppy - not just in the roadhouse, but in other areas because the scenes feel a little tossed off at times - but with the Audrey stuff this week, I'm willing to entertain the idea that some of this was intentional after all. We'll know more next week, but this is probably going to be something that will only become clear on a rewatch when you know everything, and even then, it'll probably still be up for debate.

It's nice to finally be thinking 'maybe this is all part of something' again, though. Those two bad episodes in a row - I think it was 12 and 13 - really shook how I felt about the show. I was enjoying the earlier episodes, and was very curious about everything, but even when the show is good it's still riiiiight on the edge of being bad at times, so I was worried I had just seen through it and wasn't gonna be as into it anymore. The last 3 have been increasingly good, though, and I've got a lot of confidence the final two hours are gonna be very good indeed. Now that we're near the end, I think this thing overall has been sporadically fascinating, but meandering and messy. It's not the best thing I've ever seen, it's not even close to the best David Lynch thing I've ever seen actually, but it is good and I'm really glad it came on. I don't really connect it too strongly with the original Twin Peaks, though. I think of it as 'Blue Rose', a different series that takes place in the same world but focuses on much darker and supernatural material.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I've been assuming that the editing has been sloppy - not just in the roadhouse, but in other areas because the scenes feel a little tossed off at times - but with the Audrey stuff this week, I'm willing to entertain the idea that some of this was intentional after all. We'll know more next week, but this is probably going to be something that will only become clear on a rewatch when you know everything, and even then, it'll probably still be up for debate.

It's nice to finally be thinking 'maybe this is all part of something' again, though. Those two bad episodes in a row - I think it was 12 and 13 - really shook how I felt about the show. The last 3 have been increasingly good, though, and the earlier episodes were also mostly very good, too, so I'm glad to be back on board.

There have been a number of...'glitches' peppered throughout. Weird doorknob glitches, people blinking backwards and what not. There's definitely something to it.

Steamlord

Twin Peaks The Return: A Season 3 Podcast, and Dark Mood Woods both do it for me (and I listen to too many of them).

I just had some free time on my hands..

9YTs2BY.jpg

I posted this in that thread the other day. Yours is more up to date though.

igwQZnk.jpg

Kadayi

Banned
Just rewatched it.

Don't know why but that goodbye scene to Janey-E and Sonny Jim just had major shades of Shane to it. Also, Naomi Watts is just so damn good. I know that Gypsy show she made turned out to be hot garbage, but she needs another vehicle to star in.

I love that Coop instructed the one armed man to make a Tulpa of him as a replacement, presumably so he can be the one to walk through that red door.

Curious whether Richard is actually dead, or whether he has just simply been sucked into another dimension, assuming the fake coordinates were intended to be a trap to return Mr C to the lodge.

Love that the Mitchums and Candie and her pals are heading to Twin Peaks. it's going to be a curious ensemble at the jail house.

Solo

I know y'all have these big list of stuff you'd like to see addressed in the finale. I just want to see Laura again.

Boem

I agree. There is indeed something wrong with the crowd.
I am not sure if Lynch is being intentional with that or it's just a bit sloppy editing.

There was that interview with Cool James (AVclub I think? Not sure) after the episode where he performed his song about what it was like to record that scene. The crowd is made up of friends and family of the crew - partly because it was easier to trust them to keep all the acts (and scenes) secret, partly because it was just a nice gift for crewmembers. They shot all the music acts in just a couple of days, so that crowd got quite an intense line up of acts after each other.

I don't know if that means that the crowd looking the same is just an unintended consequence of the production, or if it also has a deeper meaning for Lynch, but I'm not sure it matters.

I'm not convinced guys, I really don't think any Roadhouse scene but the Audrey bit has been a dream. There has been some weirdness, but that hasn't been limited to the Roadhouse anyway. Plus, narratively speaking what would be the point of such a reveal?

So the girl sitting on the floor last week, that seems beyond the conversations people have been having on the weirdness level, but that lead right into Freddie Sykes and James showing up, so maybe not.

But the conversation about Billy... that's got to be highly suspect. Espescially since Billy isn't the only character Audrey and Charlie were talking about who came up in that conversation. We'll get a better sense once we find out where Audrey is.

If she is in an asylum, maybe the real Billy comes to visit her and hasn't come for a few days? It wouldn't be unlike a Horne to retreat into delusions, but Audrey's are so nightmarish that it gives me pause for thought.

There was that interview with Cool James (AVclub I think? Not sure) after the episode where he performed his song about what it was like to record that scene. The crowd is made up of friends and family of the crew - partly because it was easier to trust them to keep all the acts (and scenes) secret, partly because it was just a nice gift for crewmembers. They shot all the music acts in just a couple of days, so that crowd got quite an intense line up of acts after each other.

I don't know if that means that the crowd looking the same is just an unintended consequence of the production, or if it also has a deeper meaning for Lynch, but I'm not sure it matters.

Either Lynch liked that blonde girl and wanted to put her up front, or she is one of those extras desperate to always get on camera, continuity be damned. I swear I saw her look at the camera last night too.

Futureman

That's sensational writing. Yeah, it truly highlights the canyon between Peaks and pretty much every other 'nostalgia revival' out there now. Lynch wanted to tell a new story in a familiar world. The rest want to tell the old story again with new toys.

It really goes for pretty much any revival I can think of (movies/tv/music/etc). How often do we get a sequel/revival and all they do is retread exactly what made the original memorable? It almost never works when that is the path the creators go down. I LOVE PEAKS SO MUCH.

So the girl sitting on the floor last week, that seems beyond the conversations people have been having on the weirdness level, but that lead right into Freddie Sykes and James showing up, so maybe not.

Didn't they show up after Freddie and James? Charlyne Screayi was at the very end of the episode.

I know y'all have these big list of stuff you'd like to see addressed in the finale. I just want to see Laura again.

Considering that log lady said that "Laura is the one", the business with her in episode 8 and what is going on with her mom, I am quite confident we will see her again.

Boem

Hey, HEY if we're praying to the 'last chance to appear cameo Gods' it's Kiefer or bust!

I'm honestly still holding out hope for a small appearance of original Sherrif Truman. They have mentioned him a lot during the season. In a way that completely explains him not being there of course, but I feel the door is still being left open.

I'm not sure if it's reasonable to expect it, but I feel that, if the actor was only willing or able to do one or two days of shooting, this is the way to do it. Cooper goes to TP, hears about Truman being sick, pays him a visit. Or something. A nice little extra surprise for the finale.

Or he just won't show up and I'm being too much of a fanboy. But hell, whatever happens, I'm in at this point.

Solo

Considering that log lady said that "Laura is the one", the business with her in episode 8 and what is going on with her mom, I am quite confident we will see her again.

For sure. I'm 80% certain we will see her again. I also would really love to see Leland again - a 10 second cameo isn't enough Ray Wise. Speaking of which.....

....remember when lots of people thought that BOB would be a large factor in The Return and that Wise would play him? Heh.

For sure. I'm 80% certain we will see her again. I also would really love to see Leland again - a 10 second cameo isn't enough Ray Wise. Speaking of which.....

....remember when lots of people thought that BOB would be a large factor in The Return and that Wise would play him? Heh.

I do remember that!

I think that might have been my suggestion!

Two I think. All he did was say "find Laura".

I was wrong, it was two. Right before Coop leaves the lodge.

What if he'd gone "Find Laura" and Coop just gave him the thumbs up.

But in all seriousness, Jesus, the tragedy of this guy, trapped in the Waiting Room for eternity, his daughter a pinball between good and evil and all he can do is beg whoever walks by to help.

God damn.

Joqu

But the conversation about Billy... that's got to be highly suspect. Espescially since Billy isn't the only character Audrey and Charlie were talking about who came up in that conversation. We'll get a better sense once we find out where Audrey is.

If she is in an asylum, maybe the real Billy comes to visit her and hasn't come for a few days? It wouldn't be unlike a Horne to retreat into delusions, but Audrey's are so nightmarish that it gives me pause for thought.

Right, the Billy connection pretty much is the suspicious part of all of that to me. But like you say that could very well be explained by whatever situation Audrey is in.

I'm #TeamAsylum for now, so she'd need a proper connection to the outside world for that, maybe Billy himself like you suggested. But if Billy really is the guy who has been bleeding all over the sheriff's station cell her situation could very well be of a proper supernatural nature, considering the guy has been acting suspiciously like Coop had been before. Well, we know we'll find out more soon.

the audrey dance was rather bittersweet as well, since it had none of the mystery or atmosphere of the original.

Dude, it had the music, it had a surreal precursor and setting, and it ends with her waking up in a reality suggesting that had all been a dream. How much fucking mystery and atmosphere are you looking for? You just found out her entire reality was a lie!

Man some people are dead inside.

WriterGK

Really, really? People are actually missing Dougie? I reckon there was atleast a fifty-fity splitt or more of people that said that Dougie was getting really old, real fast.... *sigh*

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Few days late, but AV Club had a great piece on the music of Twin Peaks.

If you want to understand what’s going on in Twin Peaks, just listen to it

In an era of feverish fan theories, The Return seems primed to drive people insane with arcana, but the music speaks something almost confessional in its sincerity. It is the story of aging people, shuffling around in an increasingly digital and alien world, looking for glimpses of warmth and youth. They find it fleetingly in a whiff of coffee or a lost love. They hire brunettes to help them recreate it in tragic onstage tableaux. They chase it through conspiracy theories and electrical sockets. If any of them finally find the lost current of beauty in this barren world, the shock will sound like heaven.

Joqu

I've loved "Dougie" from the beginning, so yeah, I'll sure as hell miss him. I assume his replacement will be closer to og Dougie, so let's hope that one turns out to be less of a dick because of the Dale Cooper genes.

... but hey, we're reaching the end of the season. I'll be missing everyone soon.

Audioboxer

Just seen the episode, now that was amazing. I fucking love the Mitchum Brothers. There has to be a season 4 with them haha.

Everything starting to come together to an extent. I really don't think we'll get any more Twin Peaks so 2 more hours to enjoy. I'm happy it seems everyone is coming back to Twin Peaks, I have missed that from the first two seasons when everything was based there.

I'll now need to read the speculation in this topic as to what is going on with Audrey. I really should have watched season 1 and 2 again as I'm not even lying when I say I can't remember how things ended with her in the first place. Even although I read weeks ago in here she is in a coma.

Also I need to figure out whatever they called that thing that Diane was. That was some intense editing as I genuinely expected Lynch was gonna shoot himself just to make fans rage.

Big One

Banned
I really think there's gonna be a lot of wiggle room for a season 4 if Lynch and Frost want to revisit the series. I think the Laura vs. Bob storyline will be ending this season, but everything else ranging from the Experiment and other big mysteries I really feel will be left alone.

Though I am curious how in the world Mr. C became a billionaire, and what was the purpose of setting up something to catch Lodge beings like The Experiment.

Just seen the episode, now that was amazing. I fucking love the Mitchum Brothers. There has to be a season 3 with them haha.

Everything starting to come together to an extent. I really don't think we'll get any more Twin Peaks so 2 more hours to enjoy. I'm happy it seems everyone is coming back to Twin Peaks, I have missed that from the first two seasons when everything was based there.

I'll now need to read the speculation in this topic as to what is going on with Audrey. I really should have watched season 1 and 2 again as I'm not even lying when I say I can't remember how things ended with her in the first place. Even although I read weeks ago in here she is in a coma.

Also I need to figure out whatever they called that thing that Diane was. That was some intense editing as I genuinely expected Lynch was gonna shoot himself just to make fans rage.
There is :p

Steamlord

She got blown the fuck up at the bank. Along with Pete :(

Audioboxer

I put my phone down and then thought.... Wait, I said season 3 in that post. lol.

She got blown the fuck up at the bank. Along with Pete :(

Damn, I can't even remember that. As I said I really should have watched season 1 and 2 again lol. Obviously I remember most of how it ended and Fire Walk with Me was the last thing I watched. I never watched the additional cuts/outtakes for the film. As it was a few years back now that is why my brain is forgetful in some areas.

That one episode that ends in the diner, with the guy asking if anybody has seen Billy and then running away... I'm remembering that right, right? That he was looking for Billy? Because that scene had nothing to do with the Roadhouse, but is otherwise connected to whatever this Billy/Audrey subplot is about. And that was Billy's truck, right? The scene with Andy? Because that's another one.

I did not subscribe to the coma theory simply because those Audrey scenes reference other parts of the show, but after last night's episode I have no fucking idea anymore.

I'm really gonna have to rewatch these when this is all done, it's a lot to track over 18 episodes.

Audioboxer

So did Albert and Preston suspect Diane was a tulpa (had to look this up, haven't heard that used before) or did they just react quicker? As I said above that scene was intense. I was expecting someone to die.

Lynch films things in such an oppressive way. Sheer dread/fear.

After stumbling around the episode 12 mark this series has been going from strength to strength, each episode better than the last.

So good to see Coop back. I know people had struggled with the Dougie storyline but making us wait all that time made this moment all the better. I'm glad the Mitchum Brothers and Candie are coming along to Twin Peaks! Also very intrigued to see what's happening to Audrey. I knew there was more to those seemingly pointless meandering scenes with her.

I have a feeling this finale is going to be something spectacular.

Kadayi

Banned
I've loved "Dougie" from the beginning, so yeah, I'll sure as hell miss him. I assume his replacement will be closer to og Dougie, so let's hope that one turns out to be less of a dick because of the Dale Cooper genes.

I get the impression the Tulpas are sort of pale imitations of their progenitors, so original Dougie who we only saw briefly with Jade was a shallow version of Mr C, which likely explains how he ended up getting embroiled in debt etc. However, I dare say a Tulpa from Dale will be a good substitute for Janey-E & Sonny Jim

So did Albert and Preston suspect Diane was a tulpa (had to look this up, haven't heard that used before) or did they just react quicker? As I said above that scene was intense. I was expecting someone to die

Also that tune that played when Diane went up to the room was intense: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWkGGda7hX8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom