• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch goes crazy, removes label 'Blind Playthrough' following SJW pressure

DR2K

Banned
I’m a SJW and even I’m not even sure what the hell this is supposed to do. Who is this for? And why?

This is what happens when white liberals start trying to solve social inequalities on their own, they just side step the actual problems they’re too blind to see and go for the low hanging fruit for a false sense of accomplishment.

“Gaming has become much more accisible to the blind community. My job here is done!” 😌😌😂

No I don't care to read twitter posts from other people which is what the poster was talking about.

Your entire shtick in this thread has been to whine about how you don't care and how other people shouldn't care the topic because you think they shouldn't while not following your own advice.

Not really bullshit. You're metric for not thinking there was no significant call for it is also misleading as your not mentioning if the calls where through other channels or simply in-private. It's not really bullshit to understand maybe this bothered a small, medium, or large group of people and the other portion probably did'nt care or thought it was stupid. Mentioning not a monolith only means I understand that not everyone in this group thinks the same way, thats it.

There is no proof that there was any significant call by any measure to remove the term. Appealing to a non-existent group of people on a "oh maybe" is meaningless. Pretending that a group that you have no proof of exists and basing your argument off of that is the exact definition of misleading.

I mean this dosen't really make any sense. Just because I don't think people are a monolith dosen't mean I can't side with the minority or think this supposed minority is correct.

Right, and here is where we get to the point where you are actually honest for once in this thread. You do clearly care, and agree with decision that was made. Also the second part of your post here isn't correct.

There are two parts to not treating people as a monolith.

The first is acknowledging that the group in question is comprised of individuals that are only bound together by a particular trait whether it's skin colour or something else and that this trait does not determine their opinions on any particular subject.

The second is not taking actions that are in direct conflict with the first. Such as taking a paternalistic stance and trying to get things banned or supporting bans because a minority of people from that group don't like it. You clearly do not give a shit about the group in question if you're willing to ignore the majority because changing language to be less precise and languid thus making discourse more difficult for no added utility makes you feel good.

And if we are being honest, I don't see people complaining about it because they think it's not actually helpful. I see people complaining about it because it's another "people are being woke, fuck your feelings snowflake angle". Which is what I pretty much believe this thread is actually about.

if that's what you think then you haven't been paying attention at all to what's being said around this issue, not talking about just this thread but on other platforms as well.

"Here's a a better solution. How about the people who have no problems with the term "Blind Playthrough" can use it as they like, and those who don't like the term can simply choose to not use it? That would actually be respectful of everyone. That would be treating blind people not as a monolith, but as individual human beings with their own thoughts, beliefs and opinions."

Ok Well I'll just use the n word and also call people faggots because well they aren't bad to me. People who have problems with those words can just not use them.

Can you point out to me the people who are equating the use of "Blind Playthrough" to words like "faggot"? I'll wait.

Just kidding, there's no need to wait because this is a dumb fuck false equivalence. I'm really confused on how you thought this was a good argument here. But I at least got some unexpected humour out of this thread.

How about the solution is you just don't care about a stupid changing of a term that does not effect you? What are you upset about that instead of tagging something as "blind" you now have to tag it with another synonym? I don't know how many people were disrespected by the term, but are you so disrespected that you can't use it? I doubt it. I figure you are just mad because it's another pointless victory in some lame culture war you want to fight.

How about if people talking about this issue makes you so mad you can just not click on the thread or add it to ignore?

People are complaining because this change is dumb as fuck.

It has no merit.

It's clearly performative in nature since it requires no effort on Twitch's part.

Some posts have already gone over what kinds of changes to Twitch that would be helpful to blind people and this isn't one of them.

Twitch thought they could do something that takes no effort and get pats on the back for it and now they are being rightly criticized for it.

Of course if you bothered to read the thread and links that have been posted you would know all of this. But I suppose it's unrealistic to expect you to know anything regarding what's being discussed when you immediately see red upon witnessing people criticizing dumb decisions that you agree with which brings us to your disingenuous posts in this thread while pretending that you don't care at all.

I don't care about the change one way or the other. I don't use twitch. I'm not disabled. It dosen't offend me. I don't care. What I think is lame is getting bent out of shape and crying about sjws when it comes to stupid whatever things.

This has nothing to do with "SJW"'s but it's clear that you're bringing that up in an attempt to discredit all the points that have been made against Twitch here by framing it as "crying about sjws".

Twitch did something performative and expected to get pats on the back for it.

They are now largely getting roasted by everyone for thinking they could pull shit like this instead of actually putting in effort to improve the user experience for blind users on Twitch.

If you have problems understanding this, then I suggest reading the thread that you clearly didn't look through beyond one post if you're confused. All the points and reasoning are there.

DR2K

Banned
You sure sound racist enough to be an SJW. So i guess i believe you.

It’s cute how little you understand of the subject yet have no problem lashing out.

Since you seem to understand racism so well I’ll teach you another concept.

white fragility

noun
noun: white fragility
  1. discomfort and defensiveness on the part of a white person when confronted by information about racial inequality and injustice

Last edited:

Dunki

"Here's a a better solution. How about the people who have no problems with the term "Blind Playthrough" can use it as they like, and those who don't like the term can simply choose to not use it? That would actually be respectful of everyone. That would be treating blind people not as a monolith, but as individual human beings with their own thoughts, beliefs and opinions."
Yes but this is not what is happening. By removing this option they do not have the choice anymore.

Also when you use words like faggot. Blind never has a negative history like that. Blind research is also a well often used term which is comparable with the defintion of a blind playtrhough. I have never seen people being made fun of while they are blind. I have seen however people making fun of other with uncontrolled twitching of their bodies. You know like the word Twitch.

And for the replies. There are not anyone blind in the comments who is for this change. People who say yes are mostly white and not even in the slightest disabled. No one asked for it. Thats why Twitch now is getting bashed on doing this only to feel woke. This is not a positive chang like more accessibility options which you know would really help people.

Kamina

Golden Boy
As always...
iENhs3p.png
So once again woke people are offended in someone else’s place.
They dont even ask them, they just white-knight them without consent and use them as excuse to push through their own agenda.

It’s cute how little you understand of the subject yet have no problem lashing out.

white fragility

noun
  1. discomfort and defensiveness on the part of a white person when confronted by information about racial inequality and injustice

Yeah, chief. That's racist. You're another smart person turned stupid by CRT.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

white fragility

noun

Its always funny watching white fragility in action in all forms. Even the hypothetical scenario that would never happen that I mentioned has your blood boiling. :)

White fragility in action.

8vkCvz3.gif

Raonak

Banned
I honestly like the idea of watching an actual blind person play a videogame.
I'm fine if "blind playthrough" literally means that.

also, i'm pleasantly surprised you can get banned for racism here

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
This is obviously virtue signaling without any positive effect whatsoever.

However, I must also say I don't understand how "blind playthrough" ever became synonymous with "first time playthrough".
With terms like "blind spot", "being blind to something", etc. it makes sense. You can't see something.
What can't you see when you play a game for the first time?

So, honestly, I'm all for finding a better term - but not on the basis of being offended on behalf of someone who isn't actually offended by this.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I honestly like the idea of watching an actual blind person play a videogame.
I'm fine if "blind playthrough" literally means that.
It's actually very interesting how they manage to do it, even if this lad at least needs to save state from time to time.

Raonak

Banned

However, I must also say I don't understand how "blind playthrough" ever became synonymous with "first time playthrough".
With terms like "blind spot", "being blind to something", etc. it makes sense. You can't see something.

So, honestly, I'm all for finding a better term - but not on the basis of being offended on behalf of someone who isn't actually offended by this.
It is a bit odd, because you don't say a "blind readthrough" or a "deaf listening" (which would be a great name for a band)

I vote for "Virgin Playthrough" lol

karasu

So is the key to fame these days just to cry and moan every time a company changes the slightest thing about itself? Did they change a hashtag? So what? The worst thing an SJW has ever done to you is to ask you to think about how you name things. Get over it.

Gerdav

Anyone looking for a good book about how we have ended up in this woke shit show should have a read of this.

Last edited:

Amory

Why don't companies learn that all you need to do in these situations is ignore the SJWs for 30 seconds and they'll go somewhere else

They all have ADD. Plus they don't actually care about what they're whining about anyway

This is what happens when white liberals start trying to solve social inequalities on their own, they just side step the actual problems they’re too blind to see and go for the low hanging fruit for a false sense of accomplishment.
giphy.gif

Because a blind playthrough is a first playthrough, but a first playthrough doesn't have to be a blind playthrough; they don't mean the same thing.

Things blind people aren't good at (in general):
Watching sceneries
Telling what colors things are
Shooting guns
Playing video games made for people who can see

I mean, this is not a slight, nobody males the choice to be blind,and in the cases technology can help them going on with their lives things should be made more accessible... But no group should be out of bounds for that kind of humor.

Nymphae

Banned
There is zero judgement attached to the phrase, this is beyond retarded. It's existence has never made a blind person feel lesser, I am quite certain of that.

Videospel

A blind playthrough is when you start playing the game completely "blind". Blind here means that you have no previous knowledge of the game.

IronLich

Is there something wrong with "Cold Playthrough"? Or is that offensive to the more... wintry elements of our planet?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Because blind people watch streams...
Honestly, I've seen a lot of comments along the lines of "blind people can't read!" / "blind people can't follow streams!".

I somewhat hope all of these are just jokes... because otherwise that would be a shocking display of ignorance.
Blind people are obviously able to read and in case of screens are able to use (pretty advanced) text-to-speech software.
So a blind person could undoubtedly end up reading information about a stream, including the term "blind playthrough" - and I bet that <1% of them would be offended by the term, in contrast to 90% of keyboard warriors.

Likewise, blind people can of course follow streams (though I don't really know if "watching" requires the visual component) - there's talking, there's chat, there's audio.
Sometimes, I just lurk in some streams without looking at them at all - in a kind of gaming-related radio. Don't see any reason why a blind person wouldn't do that, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom