• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter outraged by “brightened” black character’s skin in Persona 3 Reload

Draugoth

Gold Member
Footage from the upcoming Persona 3 Reload had some Twitter users aghast as a dark-skinned character was shown with slightly lighter skin. The initial Twitter post compared the footage of the lighter-skinned character with an image of what they are supposed to look like:

Persona 3 Reload

There were some comments from people hoping the character wasn’t “whitewashed”, but a lot of comments were convinced it was just the lighting.

More reasonable critics however are convinced that the character’s skin is brighter due to the actual lighting of the scene (set in the really sunny outdoors), but as evidenced in the past, this reason almost never works on such individuals:

graywolf323

Gotcha. It has been many, many years since I played - but the first thing I thought of when looking at the character was Gyaru. That would be my bad then.
I think people get her mixed up with Natsuki who is gyaru

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I think people get her mixed up with Natsuki who is gyaru

I absolutely did. Thanks for hte correction lol.

Saber

Gold Member
Wasn't this character a Gyaru character? A Japanese student who uses spray tan and copious amounts of make up in order to appear less like the traditional mindset of what a Japanese women should as an act of rebellion?

Very common on mangas tbh. They also tends to show much of their skin.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

I don't think angry Twitter users deserve any benefit of the doubt at all (much less on this particular controversy) with some blurry screenshots (at least, the screenshots shown here). So I would rather see some direct, in-game footage, instead of immediately assuming that Yuko's skin was lightened, especially not when how her skin appears in those shots could simply be due to the lighting. Also:

They…uhhh….they do understand she was never black right? She was tanned. There’s a fucking difference. If I get a tan and suddenly call myself black, theyd all lose their minds again lol

EDIT: Got a question. Does anyone know for sure that this character in question in these screenshots is actually Yuko?

On that note: I'm very happy that I stopped going onto my timeline over a year ago.
Fuck Twitter.

Last edited:
I thought she was just tanned? When did she become black?
Tans don't exist to the kind of people that get upset about this. There's a character in FFXIV (Ysh'tola) that underwent the same 'controversy', and the game director explained that she had a tan because she was located in the desert, but doesn't anymore.

You'd think an explanation like that would be sufficient but the idiots on Twitter/Era still got upset lol

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Are the people actually upset over this supposed "white washing" (even though she is Japanese)?
Maybe the dude just likes tanned girls.
she does have much of a background from what I can tell, but Okinawan can have pretty much that complexion,
Idiots usually jump to wanting half-black because that's all they know and just assume any tan skin complexion has to be, ignoring many parts of South East and South Asia could easily result in such a complexion, even Yakuts

poodaddy

I think she looked vastly, and I mean VASTLY better with darker skin, but I don't get being so upset by this. It ain't that serious, if it makes you mad just play the original.

Top Bottom