• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter outraged by “brightened” black character’s skin in Persona 3 Reload

MLSabre

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Why these people exist?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
but would you prefer Kat with a lighter complexion?

In fact I was going to say that Kat from Gravity Rush is based on Ganguro fashion... I love her because her skin color is pretty.

There is fanart that her skin is whiter, but I love her brunette skin... It's my heart ❤️

lDjO18R.jpg

Footage from the upcoming Persona 3 Reload had some Twitter users aghast as a dark-skinned character was shown with slightly lighter skin. The initial Twitter post compared the footage of the lighter-skinned character with an image of what they are supposed to look like:

Persona 3 Reload

There were some comments from people hoping the character wasn’t “whitewashed”, but a lot of comments were convinced it was just the lighting.

More reasonable critics however are convinced that the character’s skin is brighter due to the actual lighting of the scene (set in the really sunny outdoors), but as evidenced in the past, this reason almost never works on such individuals:

giphy.gif

Barakov

Gold Member
Footage from the upcoming Persona 3 Reload had some Twitter users aghast as a dark-skinned character was shown with slightly lighter skin. The initial Twitter post compared the footage of the lighter-skinned character with an image of what they are supposed to look like:

Persona 3 Reload

There were some comments from people hoping the character wasn’t “whitewashed”, but a lot of comments were convinced it was just the lighting.

More reasonable critics however are convinced that the character’s skin is brighter due to the actual lighting of the scene (set in the really sunny outdoors), but as evidenced in the past, this reason almost never works on such individuals:

200.gif

Good. I hope this ruins twitter's week.

Fbh

Man if these people got this upset about a skin color change they must have absolutely despised the recent Castlevania Netflix show.
...right?....RIGHT?

killatopak

Ah yes. The game where it’s location is roughly based on Port Island in Kobe southern Japan. You know where there is an airport. With cheap flights to Okinawa.

I wouldn’t expect people to be tan there at all.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
lol, Yuko was never black. Closer to ganguro if anything.
She wasn't African, no, but she was dark and lightening her is still a reflection of colorism. She wasn't "ganjuro", she didn't have blackface on, she was just dark skinned.

They did this with Casca in the later Berserk anime as well. A character who had always been portrayed as having dark skin suddenly lightened to the same as everyone else (while dark skinned villains left untouched). This stuff is deliberate and gross.

Whats so messed up is its crickets are outright defending if an existing character is turned black, which is happening on every movie and game released now (for ESG scores or to coattail to woke resetera/reddit types who have been brainwashed), but they have a conniption /hissy fit if a characters skin is made lighter. Something tells me these same fools would have no problem if it was made darker.

To all the nutters out there: How about this? I'll start caring about your whitewashing characters when you start caring and railing against turning existing characters and straight up historical figures black, gay or what not when they originally were not... (like the queen of f'ing England, or Cleopatra)

Can we have some consistency? A guiding principle to go on that applies equally and not one sided? How about "Leave existing characters alone, let them reflect history or their fiction presented in classic literature, games, movies, books, comics, etc... and new characters for new fiction can be whatever the author/creator/designer wants.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Please keep the new design, that's what remake of games are for, the devs attempt to create better designs of the original game and they made the right decision on this character, it's now better looking.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Whats so messed up is its crickets are outright defending if an existing character is turned black, which is happening on every movie and game released now (for ESG scores or to coattail to woke resetera/reddit types who have been brainwashed), but they have a conniption /hissy fit if a characters skin is made lighter. Something tells me these same fools would have no problem if it was made darker.

To all the nutters out there: How about this? I'll start caring about your whitewashing characters when you start caring and railing against turning existing characters and straight up historical figures black, gay or what not when they originally were not... (like the queen of f'ing England, or Cleopatra)

Can we have some consistency? A guiding principle to go on that applies equally and not one sided? How about "Leave existing characters alone, let them reflect history or their fiction presented in classic literature, games, movies, books, comics, etc... and new characters for new fiction can be whatever the author/creator/designer wants.
I agree with the overall sentiment, but in this context it's not cut and dry.

The OP was hardly overflowing with compelling evidence, and it came from a group that you can count on one hand. Bad quality off-screen pictures were countered with another off-screen picture that showed otherwise. When you combine that with the original game not being something everyone has played, I imagine most posters deemed it inconclusive.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Is it fans or is it "fans" as in 4 or 5 fat lonely white people who haven't gotten much attention in their life so they feel this will rise them to some sort of superior social level on a dumb opinions app that only dumb people really reside on?

Top Bottom