• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter says Super Mario Bros movie is mediocre, boring, uncreative - the Live action movie was better

Damn this is disappointing but I was expecting it because Despicable Me has to be the most charmless successful kids’ series going. Truly mind boggling that it’s in any way popular.

We’ll still go and see Mario. My kid will love it.

Last edited:

Oberstein

That…isn’t true? Have you played any of the Mario RPG games?

Oh, they adapted Mario RPG? I don't think so. Are you aware that they also have to introduce the license to those who only know it by name? I'm not trying to justify their choice, or even give a critical opinion on a movie I haven't seen... at this point, I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind your belief that a 1.5 hour movie was going to make a narrative innovation on a Mario game.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that this movie will be mediocre, but this thread title is bullshit. No one says that the live-action movie is better, and no one will. ONE guy says it's creatively more inspired, and that may be true, but all that creativity means jack shit when it resulted in the movie that has been a template of how NOT to make videogame movies for decades.

Last edited:

Filben

"""Movie critics""" writing for something called "clutchappcoins", a sports page, posting on twitter... nah thanks. That's one way to lose credibility for me.

Last edited:
Oh, they adapted Mario RPG? I don't think so. Are you aware that they also have to introduce the license to those who only know it by name?
Some of the expanded lore comes from those Mario RPG games amongst other Mario entries. The movie previews contain creatures, concepts, areas, and items from that expanded lore(including the cartoons). This, they reasonably have the material and resources to develop a great movie.

I’m not saying they need to introduce freaking Geno or something, but they also don’t need to make it a ‘for the kids’ nothingburger if they’re going to draw from those aspects.

I'm not trying to justify their choice, or even give a critical opinion on a movie I haven't seen... at this point, I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind your belief that a 1.5 hour movie was going to make a narrative innovation on a Mario game.
Because good writers can do it. If this movie is as stated in these OP quotes, it’s a bad excuse for such a large studio. If the intended purpose is to introduce a license, why shove as many different Mario games in the movie as possible? Why put a Mario Kart section in the movie to detract from the main plot’s writing?

Did the first Sonic movie need to put in Sonic Racing or Puyo Puyo Sonic? No, it didn’t. It didn’t even need tails.

There’s a right way to do toys and video games movies, and there’s a wrong way. The important thing as a creative is to put in just enough effort to not make it too obvious that the audience is watching an ad. Once they’re more aware is when the movie goes downhill.

Majukun

well not that you couldn't tell from the trailers.
now to say the live action was better is a little extreme though, who said it probably wasn't even alive at the time...

NikuNashi

To be fair....illumination has always been a mediocre studio in terms of writing and direction and humor. I was hoping maybe the nintendo collab would help, but looks like their mediocrity came through regardless.

I wished pixar or the team who did zootopia would get mario. But nope...illumination. for most parents, people, especially kids, these studios blend together. But for nerd like me we know illumination is the worst of the bunch specifically

I couldnt disagree with you more. Illumination are the best animation company worldwide (alongside dreamworks). Pixar fell off a decade ago.

Pixar movies over the past decade (most of them box office flops):-

Lightyear
Turning Red
Soul
Luca

They fell off a cliff and stopped making fun interesting family movies in favor of pushing agendas.

Source: I have a 5 year old kid and have watched every single animated movie released over the last 5 years.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Chris Pratt does the Mario voice .... the chance of this mostly leftists hollywood reviewers give a fair review is slim to none

Or maybe the film just sucks ... better to wait some youtuber with a little less bias and a track record that you can mostly agree with review the movie

sinnergy

Worse than Live action movie 🤣 I bet they weren’t even born yet .. I read about that movie in magazines before release .. the movie itself sucked balls when it came out ..

Neolombax

Wow, those sure are some big words used to describe a Mario movie. My measure of the movie would be how much enjoyment my kids get out of it. I didn't really have much expectations to be honest out of this movie, almost expected that it would have an average plot as an excuse to put cameos and throwbacks to the game franchise.

winjer

Gold Member
Most movie critics of today, just like game journalists, barely know what they are talking about.
Let's wait for audiences reviews, before we can draw any conclusion.

So many times we have seen beloved movies by audiences, being trashed by professional movie critics, just because it doesn't fit their agendas.

SCB3

From the studio that brought you humanity’s most annoying creation, The Minions. What did these people even expect?

It’s a kid/family movie first (and nothing wrong with that).
Wait til you realise they stole the Minions mannerisms and such from Ubisofts Rabbids

Davevil

what-the.gif

Lasha

It's a Mario movie targeting families. Are you guys expecting citizen Kane? It just has to look good and entertain it's core demographic to be a success.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sounds like a typical Illumination movie. A bland, mildly amusing movie with a pointless plot that kids will enjoy.

I’ll still see it with my kids but I’m disappointed they went with this mediocre studio for the Mario movie. Could’ve been something really special in the right hands.
Seems like a missed opportunity considering a lot of the audience will be parents who grew up with Nintendo.

It's a Mario movie targeting families. Are you guys expecting citizen Kane? It just has to look good and entertain it's core demographic to be a success.

I’m sure it’ll be profitable but it’s just disappointing. Pixar and Dreamworks, for example, have really figured out how to make movies that work on multiple levels and appeal equally to kids, adults, and parents.

Last edited:
I've seen just as many tweets saying the film was great. It's a bit disingenuous to only post the negative tweets (across three posts, no less) and completely ignore the positive ones to give the impression that it's a complete flop.

Also, that tweet about the live action movie didn't say it was "better", it just said it was more "creative" with the IP (which isn't always a good thing).

Last edited:
My six year old will probably watch it three times and love it, then buy all the merch. Mind you, this film is aimed at jaded Hollywood reviewers looking to fight the culture wars, so I guess it will flop hard.

You'd think some of these reviewers would be grateful of a break from making top-ten episode lists of comedies cancelled over a decade ago.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Did someone actually thought this will be a good movie ?
It's a movie based on Mario... Yeah yeah "Mario games are great etc..." but it doesn't suit at all for a movie.

This is just another to make money. Fan and nostalgic will probably appreciate it but that's all.

yurinka

Seems what I expected. I think that even considering this will make a shit ton of money and in terms of revenue pretty likely is going to become the most successful movie adaptation of a videogame ever.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think the main issue is that these critics prob don't have kids, so watching this without the target audience will not produce results.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hahaha the adult baby reviewers expecting a kids movie to have a meaningful plot. They expecting the godfather levels of plot nuance ?

I have no qualms that this movie’s plot will be fan service. Silly jokes and for the kids. But I am still going to watch it. IDGAFaaaaaark

Its a kids movie. We just salty as we outgrew the movie demographic ohh well I’m gonna watch it like this anyway

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Oh and don’t tell me about cinematic tragedies I was dragged to watch fucking spiceworld. SPICE fucking WORLD.

Also I watched Prometheus.

So long as the Mario film s not as bad as those two. I don’t care.

Last edited:
Hahaha the adult baby reviewers expecting a kids movie to have a meaningful plot. They expecting the godfather levels of plot nuance ?

I have no qualms that this movie’s plot will be fan service. Silly jokes and for the kids. But I am still going to watch it. IDGAFaaaaaark

Its a kids movie. We just salty as we outgrew the movie demographic ohh well I’m gonna watch it like this anyway

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

[/URL]

[/URL]

Oh and don’t tell me about cinematic tragedies I was dragged to watch fucking spiceworld. SPICE fucking WORLD.

Also I watched Prometheus.

So long as the Mario film s not as bad as those two. I don’t care.
A ton of kids films have a meaningful plot. Short Circuit. Flight of the Navigator. Jurassic Park. Toy Story.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The wife wants to go see this, so we’ll check it out. Expectations set to cute kids movie with nods to the classic games that we’ll like.

Not sure what people are expecting from a Mario movie?

Comandr

Once it was announced that illumination would be handling it I essentially gave up hope of it being a good movie. That studio panders to a very specific audience.

Kilau

Gold Member
The more recent previews showed it was going to be a non stop tour of everything Mario. Much like the first LEGO movie which everyone seemed to love but I thought it sucked.

I’m still going to have to take my kids to this but I’m no longer looking forward to it.

Top Bottom