• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Officials: Al Qaeda plans major assassination; Bin Laden will signal attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
From Drudge:

U.S. intelligence officials say a high-profile political assassination, triggered by the public release of a new message from Osama bin Laden, will lead off the next major al Qaeda terrorist attack, the WASHINGTON TIMES has learned.

The assassination plan is among new details of al Qaeda plots disclosed by U.S. officials familiar with intelligence reports who, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the killing could be carried out against a U.S. or foreign leader either in the United States or abroad.

The new details of al Qaeda's plans were found on a laptop computer belonging to arrested al Qaeda operative Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan of Pakistan, Bill Gertz is set to report in a page one blockbuster.

'We're talking about planning at the screwdriver level,' one official said. 'It is very detailed.'

Mau_Mau

Banned
This is just to keep us normal Americans living in a state or perpetual fear. Oh yeah, and also since the jobs figures were lower than expected for July, this news is being leaked to make GW look like a strong, caring leader. These threats will never be made good on.

zing.

Joe

i dont buy into that conspiracy crap. where there's smoke, there's fire. doesn't mean any of this is true but there's definitely something brewing. if any of it actually gets carried out is another story.

samus4ever said:
I really hope its not Kerry or Bush, let alone anyone.

Edit: Well if it's on either of them, and it fails, it could potentially help their popularity. If history has taught us anything. Oh and yes, I just edited my stupid comment out. heh

I hope its not true, but I really think something is going to happen in Athens. God hope not, but it did in my home town of ATL in 96, but god help us. The Games are a time of peace, not hate.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Get a life Mau.

Americans are in serious danger. This is not some scheme aimed at keeping Bush in office.

I know it's hard for you to fathom but there are people bent on killing many innocent Americans and the fact that we try and ignore them won't make them go away.

There are no such thing as "innoncent americans" when Americans are represented by piece of shit governments over the years who provoke the world to attack them.

Pigs we get what pigs deserve.

ErasureAcer said:
There are no such thing as "innoncent americans" when Americans are represented by piece of shit governments over the years who provoke the world to attack them.

WTF? So all Americans are guilty? Of what?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just join the Jihad now so our special forces can take you out soon ErasureAcer.

ErasureAcer said:

I should die because of policies I didn't make, made by politicians I didn't vote for?

Fuck you.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
ErasureAcer said:

S 2 the T 2 the U 2 the P 2 the I 2 the D 2 the A 2 the S 2 the S.

Damn straight they do. Just look at Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Yemen, Oman, Indonesia, Libya....

Those countries problems, are, of course, the fault of imperialist American pigs, and not total inability of their citizens to govern or choose leaders who aren't freaking insane.

Supporting pos governments since the end of FDR.

We've armed tens of millions of people worldwide to kill others...take a look at history. It is only natural that these people are going to be pissed off because we killed their brother/sister father/mother or daughter/son.

If America wants to get ahead with the world it should stop outspending the world combined in weapons development and start giving its money to the needy.

War is not inevitable(I'm a DK supporter and believer in his ideals) but when you keep aggravating people you're bound to be struck back at. If we, the American people, support this shit and as a whole with majority rule(although we really don't need a majority in this country to get elected...which is another topic)...then yes we all should be held accountable for our government's actions.

It's the only way to make the American people care about what its government does if they lose something in return for all that their government has done to other countries. Even now, with no major force on the planet to rival the American Military we just increased military spending another 40 billion dollars for 2005 up to 440 billion. INSANE. ABSOLUTELY INSANE. We spend this money not to be "prepared" but to actually attack and fuck over other nations. Bomb run here, bomb run there...WE ARE NOT GOD! If we say through our actions that it is okay to pull out a bomb run why is it not right for al-qaeds to pull out a bomb run?

We, as Americans, have elected governments that have made killing okay...in Iraq alone we've killed over 10,000 people who had no arms up against us. So why is it not okay for others to attack our "civilians"?

We created a civlianless world with all the wars we've fought, with all the weapons we've handed out, with all the terrorists we've trained(Latin, South America)...one can only hope that we can fix these wrongs and bring America to a point of leadership but none of the candidates I see in the general election are promoting peace and the end to bombing runs, the end to civilians being killed.

We as Americans are not special. Just because 3,000 "civilians" were killed on 9/11 doesn't make them anymore important than the 3,000 civilians that died in some African country today.

Any american who loses someone they love to a "Terrorist" should thank their government first. New Zealand doesn't even have a fucking air force, do you see them getting attacked? Nope because they don't piss people off and don't want to control the world. Nobody dying in New Zealand from terrorists.

To answer your question, Americans are guilty of electing people to represent them who provoke and enrage the world for the past 58 years. There would be no George W. Bush or John Kerry without Joe and Jane America. We are guilty of supporting these horrible horrible candidates. If someone killed me for it...I couldn't blame em. Then again I don't think I'm voting for either. If I die by terrorists, that's what I get for living in this pos country. At least I'll know how the other side truly feels when a bomb comes exploding in my home...even then my death will be just a speck compared to what this country has done to the rest of the world.

The only nations with innoncent civilians are those who aren't actively attacking others...New Zealand for instance. If terrorists struck New Zealand tomorrow, that truely would be a shame.

Hahaha - how old are you? That's the most simplistic tripe I've ever read.

It is only natural that these people are going to be pissed off because we killed their brother/sister father/mother or daughter/son.

Which explains why we our bloodthirsty wars with Germany and Japan CONTINUE TO THIS DAY!

I'm not going to start, I'm too tired and too aware of how pointless it would be.

FightyF

Banned
The new details of al Qaeda's plans were found on a laptop computer belonging to arrested al Qaeda operative Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan of Pakistan, Bill Gertz is set to report in a page one blockbuster.

This is...I don't know what to believe.

Damn straight they do. Just look at Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Yemen, Oman, Indonesia, Libya....
Those countries problems, are, of course, the fault of imperialist American pigs, and not total inability of their citizens to govern or choose leaders who aren't freaking insane.

Bad example. The US supported these people at one point in time for their own benefit, and made these people powerful to the point where any challenge from it's people would be futile.

Really bad example.

Again, this doesn't show that all Americans are responsible for the suffering caused by American foreign policy. Most Americans don't even know what happened and what is going on. If you change the President of the US, and the foreign policy took at 180 degree turn, Americans wouldn't really notice a difference. Thus, they can't be held accountable.

Fight for Freeform said:
Again, this doesn't show that all Americans are responsible for the suffering caused by American foreign policy. Most Americans don't even know what happened and what is going on. If you change the President of the US, and the foreign policy took at 180 degree turn, Americans wouldn't really notice a difference. Thus, they can't be held accountable.

I think ignorance on the part of the public is part of the problem.

Putting yourself in the other person's shoes...yeah that's real far fetched looney idea. Fact of the matter is...if we do not wish to be attacked we should not attack others. Simple...amazing how our government is too weak to have an adequate defense, an adequate diplomacy that we must resort to offense to "fix" our problems.

If you want to agree or disagree with me...I really don't care. Through my eyes this country is very very weak. Just look at our President for crying out loud. This is the best we have to offer?

ErasureAcer, I'll agree that the U.S. needs a major change in foreign policy ... and even that your government isn't exactly helping things on an International front atm, but that's about all I'll give you. You're looking at this is a very black and white manner, the world doesn't work that way. Try for the grey.

Fight for Freeform said:
Most Americans don't even know what happened and what is going on. If you change the President of the US, and the foreign policy took at 180 degree turn, Americans wouldn't really notice a difference. Thus, they can't be held accountable.

Lack of interest is still an action. By doing nothing you're doing something. By sitting on their ass and not voting in someone good or just not caring they are still responsible for the government that represents them. At the end of the day the American Government represents you to the world and would be "terrorists".

Bad example. The US supported these people at one point in time for their own benefit, and made these people powerful to the point where any challenge from it's people would be futile.

Really bad example.

All of them? Even Saddam Hussein managed to gain a stranglehold over his people before his army gained U.S. support in the Iraq-Iran war. You immensly overstate our influence. Believe it or not, all the world's problems are not the fault of the United States.

ErasureAcer said:
Then again I don't think I'm voting for either.

ErasureAcer said:
Lack of interest is still an action. By doing nothing you're doing something. By sitting on their ass and not voting in someone good or just not caring they are still responsible for the government that represents them. At the end of the day the American Government represents you to the world and would be "terrorists".

Anyway, carry on.

Socreges

Banned
Eminem said:
wow, no "hope it's bush" comments yet. good job, GA.
You are such a whiny bitch. Why don't you actually try contributing something to these types of threads for once?

(sorry. it needed to be said!)

FightyF

Banned
EA: You have to have a more optimistic view of your fellow Americans.

If Americans knew of what their government has done and is currently doing, most would be outraged. The reason why there isn't outrage is because they simply don't know and understand most conflicts.

I'm sure if Americans saw (on a consistant basis) the ethnic cleansing occuring in Sudan, the mass rapes, the killing of children without hesitation...Americans would feel obliged to help out. Of course, there is little benefit for the government, so you aren't going to see much commitment from the Bush Administration. We all know that if this was occuring in Iraq (say, Saddam's Army persecuting Blacks) and killed 50,000 people, we'd see footage of dead people nearly every day, we'd hear stories of rape and torture, and we would feel that going in and fixing things would be the "right thing".

My point is that if you can see human suffering, and you recognize that this suffering is being done by people who are supposed to serve you and your interests (aka, your federal government), you should start making noise. Bring these issues to the attention of the American masses, whom we can all agree don't know much about these issues.

Anyways, back to the main issue at hand, again I'll say that it's odd that this person who was apparently helping the US is now considered an Al Qaeda operative.

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
All of them? Even Saddam Hussein managed to gain a stranglehold over his people before his army gained U.S. support in the Iraq-Iran war. You immensly overstate our influence. Believe it or not, all the world's problems are not the fault of the United States.

Exactly. This is one of those gray shades I was talking about. Now I'm not about to say it was the right thing to do, for the U.S. to deal with Saddam (although as pointed out above, the U.S. wasn't the reason Saddam came to power), this situation was a lesser of two evils sort of thing with Iran. Seldom are things black and white.

I'll be voting for Cobb or Nader. That's doing my part...now when is the other tens of millions of Americans going to join me in voting for the best candidate. I do my part. I know more about politics and current events than 95%(a guess) of America...not that that's saying much.

Nader said it best, "If you're not turned onto politics, politics will turn on you." In this case the politics is our foreign diplomacy or lack thereof.

FightyF

Banned

Hey, you forgot to mention the support the US gave Iran in the Iran-Iraq war. How do I "immensly overstate" the US's influence? Did they not have an influence on the leaders of these nations? Did they not have a role in their desires to stay in power? If you said...say China, I couldn't be making this arguement. Like I said, bad examples...you should have said China, Greece or Lithuania...I couldn't have said anything.

I never said all of the World's problems are the fault of the United States. What I will say though, is that all the Terrorism affecting the United States is a direct result of the actions of the United States government, past and present.

There are thousands of issues and problems in this World. Issues like Kashmir, for example, have nothing to do with the United States, thus you don't see any Kashmiri/Pakistani/Indian radicals doing anything to the US. That problem is a result of actions of those nations (as well as Britain). I'll never blame the US for issues like this, of course. Issues and problems directly affecting the US, obviously, probably have a lot to do with the US. It's not like some random people decided to attack the US one day. That doesn't make their actions justified, it just explains it.

I'm sure if Americans saw (on a consistant basis) the ethnic cleansing occuring in Sudan, the mass rapes, the killing of children without hesitation...Americans would feel obliged to help out. Of course, there is little benefit for the government, so you aren't going to see much commitment from the Bush Administration. We all know that if this was occuring in Iraq (say, Saddam's Army persecuting Blacks) and killed 50,000 people, we'd see footage of dead people nearly every day, we'd hear stories of rape and torture, and we would feel that going in and fixing things would be the "right thing".

See, that's one thing I don't like. This is just a rant and isn't directed at anyone in particular. Why is it America's responsibility to "fix" things? We're not the only wealthy country in the world. Why don't the British, the Russians, the French, the Germans, the Japanese, or who the fuck ever get blamed for not making their government, say, go into Sudan and stop the genocide? Why was it our responsibility to go into Somalia? If we do it, and the rest of the world doesn't like it, we're considered ignorant cowboys. If we don't go in, and the rest of the world wants us to, we're ignoring our imaginary "responsibility".

Hey, you forgot to mention the support the US gave Iran in the Iran-Iraq war. How do I "immensly overstate" the US's influence? Did they not have an influence on the leaders of these nations? Did they not have a role in their desires to stay in power?

My point is that even if the United States never existed, Saddam Hussein would still be president of Iraq. We did not install him, he was not our puppet. His rise to power had very little to do with America. This delusion that we control the world and that these Middle Eastern countries are shitholes because of the United States is why I attacked the premise that the US is responsible for the world's problems.

What I will say though, is that all the Terrorism affecting the United States is a direct result of the actions of the United States government, past and present.

Really? It's our fault that the Soviets plunged the Afghanis into a decade of war? It's our fault that wackjob Islamic fundamentalists were able to take control in the aftermath? It's our fault that certain Arab leaders steal billions of dollars from their own people, leaving them in dire poverty, with no education and no hope? It's our fault that these people teach their children that all their suffering is the result of America and Israel, to the convenient exclusion of their own government and it's policies? This is all our fault?

Americans are stupid. Look who is President! Just look who the fuck is President. Look how many people don't vote. Look how similar the 2 major candidates are on foreign policy. It is insane!

There is no outside help for Americans, only they can help themselves. They are all too wrapped in their beliefs and their flag to see the real problems. With that said the media, the education system and lack of a real progressive voice to rally behind(MLK for instance) doesn't help the matter of things changing anytime in the near future.

FightyF

Banned
See, that's one thing I don't like. This is just a rant and isn't directed at anyone in particular. Why is it America's responsibility to "fix" things? We're not the only wealthy country in the world. Why don't the British, the Russians, the French, the Germans, the Japanese, or who the fuck ever get blamed for not making their government, say, go into Sudan and stop the genocide? Why was it our responsibility to go into Somalia?

You should direct this rant at Bush. Direct it towards Rumsfeld. These are the people, when it suits them, use this "our responsibility" card to gain support for their own objectives.

Why did the US go into Iraq? Why aren't you asking that question?

If we do it, and the rest of the world doesn't like it, we're considered ignorant cowboys. If we don't go in, and the rest of the world wants us to, we're ignoring our imaginary "responsibility".

The difference is that in one situation (Sudan's), ethnic cleansing is occuring. We've seen this in the 90's, where we are talking about millions dead in Africa. Compare that to Iraq, where Saddam was oppressing political opponents (which occurs in so many other countries). It's the apparent lack of logic that pisses off most people.

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
See, that's one thing I don't like. This is just a rant and isn't directed at anyone in particular. Why is it America's responsibility to "fix" things? We're not the only wealthy country in the world. Why don't the British, the Russians, the French, the Germans, the Japanese, or who the fuck ever get blamed for not making their government, say, go into Sudan and stop the genocide? Why was it our responsibility to go into Somalia? If we do it, and the rest of the world doesn't like it, we're considered ignorant cowboys. If we don't go in, and the rest of the world wants us to, we're ignoring our imaginary "responsibility".

That's just the point I'm trying to make. We're not god. WE'RE NOT GOD. This nation needs to just defend it borders and stop attacking everyone else. If the people of Somalia die through ethnic cleansing...we should through the UN, as one part of puzzle do something to stop it. But really now, we need to just not have a military at all. The UN works in theory but the USA just fucks things up when it feels threatened(which seems to be every fucking day by someone) and goes it alone with its military. Arming these people or bombing this village...that's not a good long-term plan.

Also though, if we can't get the world community to join a war...then there is no war. This let's go it alone shit doesn't work. People in these countries need to grow some balls and fight their own battles for once. That's how the fuck we got our independence..and yeah you may lose...you all may be obliterated but Patrick Henry said it best..."Give me liberty or give me death."

FightyF

Banned
My point is that even if the United States never existed, Saddam Hussein would still be president of Iraq. We did not install him, he was not our puppet. His rise to power had very little to do with America.

If the US didn't "exist" it wouldn't have assisted both sides in a long bloody war, they would not have encouraged Saddam to kill of Shi'ite "terrorists" who were VERY capable of defeating a Saddam who wasn't armed to the teeth by the US (and other countries, I'm not exclusively blaming the US). His rise to power could have been very short-lived, why did we have to help him prolong his stay?

This delusion that we control the world and that these Middle Eastern countries are shitholes because of the United States is why I attacked the premise that the US is responsible for the world's problems.

It's not a delusion. It's an inference based on the fact that the US does support (financially, and with arms) dictatorships/monarchies such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt. A lot of the problems in the Middle East have to do with their own internal affairs. But when we are talking about the US supporting these dictatorships...you can't blame anyone else except the US. I'm not saying that the US is responsible for the poor human rights record in that region. What I'm saying is that the US is supporting the governments who have this poor human rights record. To deny this is to deny reality.

But when we are talking about the US supporting these dictatorships...you can't blame anyone else except the US. I'm not saying that the US is responsible for the poor human rights record in that region. What I'm saying is that the US is supporting the governments who have this poor human rights record. To deny this is to deny reality.

The U.S. gives "support" (which is a pretty nebulous term, and can be as simple as being a trading partner with) pretty much everyone on the entire planet. So does everyone else. We did business with Saddam Hussein. So did Russia. So did France. So did China, and Germany, and so on and so forth. We do business with Saudi Arabia. So does Germany, so does France, etc. When I say business, I'm including arms sales, so don't think that the French are shipping cheese and we're shipping bombs. Why do we shoulder the blame exclusively?

A lot of the problems in the Middle East have to do with their own internal affairs.

That's really all I'm trying to say. Altough I would've said a majority of the problems in the Middle East have to do with their own internal affairs. It's much easier to blame the Great Satan for your problems, though.

fart

Savant
if this is truly under investigation it would never be leaked by anyone who was worth their paycheck or brain. if it is under investigation, it's being leaked by powermongers for PR purposes. if it's not truly under investigation it's just wag the doggish FUD. either way it's not something the average joe should concern him or herself with.

happy hunting!

FightyF

Banned
The U.S. gives "support" (which is a pretty nebulous term, and can be as simple as being a trading partner with) pretty much everyone on the entire planet.

Haha, c'mon. If you are being serious, then I recommend reading some history books.

So does everyone else. We did business with Saddam Hussein. So did Russia. So did France. So did China, and Germany, and so on and so forth. We do business with Saudi Arabia. So does Germany, so does France, etc. When I say business, I'm including arms sales, so don't think that the French are shipping cheese and we're shipping bombs. Why do we shoulder the blame exclusively?

As far as Iraq goes, the US shouldn't blamed exclusively. All of these nations supported a dictator (as in, they'd rather deal with him rather than anyone else) and benefited from it. They not only traded with him, but allowed him to do what he did with little opposition, and no threat of sanctions. When I say support, it goes beyond trade...it delves into issues such as diplomatic ties and moral support. We can't forget the vocal moral support Turkey was given by the US when it gassed Kurds. This is the kind of support I'm talking about.

Iraq is a case where many nations didn't mind the dictator and it wasn't just the US cashing in, but in other cases, such as Saudi Arabia, Israel and Egypt, the US supports these countries far more than any other nation.

FightyF

Banned
Altough I would've said a majority of the problems in the Middle East have to do with their own internal affairs. It's much easier to blame the Great Satan for your problems, though.

Well, let's take a look at the most recent armed conflict in that region...the invasion of Iraq. Who are they going to blame? Themselves? What did they do? Did the Iraqis disgregard the UN resolutions dealing with weapons? No. All signs indicate that they were cooperating. Really, if you think they should be blaming themselves for that conflict (one of the biggest problems and issues in recent Middle Eastern history), then that just goes to show that you being prejudiced and perhaps a bit racist on this whole issue.

Haha, c'mon. If you are being serious, then I recommend reading some history books.

You're saying the U.S. doesn't do business with the vast majority of the planet? The only countries I can think of that we don't currently support are Cuba, North Korea, and Iran. Probably forgetting some, but still.

Well, let's take a look at the most recent armed conflict in that region...the invasion of Iraq. Who are they going to blame? Themselves? What did they do? Did the Iraqis disgregard the UN resolutions dealing with weapons? No. All signs indicate that they were cooperating. Really, if you think they should be blaming themselves for that conflict (one of the biggest problems and issues in recent Middle Eastern history), then that just goes to show that you being prejudiced and perhaps a bit racist on this whole issue.

I don't blame them for the war, but I do blame them for Saddam Hussein.

Deft use of the racist label, by the way. I congratulate you.

Greekboy

Banned
Total BS. This crap just allows the US to continue practising their doctrine while using this "intelligence" as an excuse to do so. Where was this intelligence before 9/11?

Exactly.

I also have "intelligence" that Bin Laden will be nailing a cougar at the Chick 'N Deli in Toronto this Friday night.

FightyF

Banned
You're saying the U.S. doesn't do business with the vast majority of the planet? The only countries I can think of that we don't currently support are Cuba, North Korea, and Iran. Probably forgetting some, but still.

You're missing the point. What I meant was that if you think that all the US's relation to countries like Saudi Arabia is just being "trading partners", you are wrong.

Secondly, you blame them for Saddam Hussien? But they were the ones fighting Saddam, and without help from countries like France, Germany, Russia AND the US, he would have been gone long ago. You are blaming the Kurds and Shi'ites for not being able to fight against a Saddam aided by many Western powers...that is downright ridiculous!

You don't like the racist label? What's a better word then? You are scapegoating them for all the wrong reasons, which is why I made that comment. Blame them for their social condition. Blame them for their human rights abuses. But don't blame them for "Saddam Hussien" as you put it. Again, if you start reading some history books you'd realize that Saddam was being fought consistantly and the US came to his aid in a couple of situations.

But they were the ones fighting Saddam, and without help from countries like France, Germany, Russia AND the US, he would have been gone long ago. You are blaming the Kurds and Shi'ites for not being able to fight against a Saddam aided by many Western powers...that is downright ridiculous!

Who is this "they" you're talking about? The Kurds and Shi'ites are not the sum total of the Iraqi people. Many Iraqis supported Saddam Hussein, and he hasn't had support in any meaningful sense from Western powers in over a decade. He was an incredibly popular politician in his early career. When the previous President resigned due to "ill health" he was able to crush his opposition and kill those who supported them, without the support of the U.S. or the opposition of the Iraqi people. Sorry, but I have a problem twisting that into anyone elses fault but the Iraqis.

You are scapegoating them for all the wrong reasons, which is why I made that comment.

No, you made that comment because it is a typical response to anyone who blames the Middle East for their own problems. It's a nice distraction, and is a very old and very obvious tactic. I can even make it in bold, if you like.

You're missing the point. What I meant was that if you think that all the US's relation to countries like Saudi Arabia is just being "trading partners", you are wrong.

Enlighten me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Uh.....

Mustang

Banned
This is just to keep us normal Americans living in a state or perpetual fear. Oh yeah, and also since the jobs figures were lower than expected for July, this news is being leaked to make GW look like a strong, caring leader.

baby1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom