• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Officials: Al Qaeda plans major assassination; Bin Laden will signal attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firest0rm

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
Who is this "they" you're talking about? The Kurds and Shi'ites are not the sum total of the Iraqi people. Many Iraqis supported Saddam Hussein, and he hasn't had support in any meaningful sense from Western powers in over a decade. He was an incredibly popular politician in his early career. When the previous President resigned due to "ill health" he was able to crush his opposition and kill those who supported them, without the support of the U.S. or the opposition of the Iraqi people. Sorry, but I have a problem twisting that into anyone elses fault but the Iraqis.

Shi'ites make up 60-65% of the population, and Kurds make up 15-20% of the population. So in total they make up around 75% to 85% of the total population of Iraq. Saddam got into power with force, and as soon as he was in power he began his crimes and killed every possible opponent.

Loki

Count of Concision
Fight for Freeform said:
Loki: I understand your reaction, but I think you went overboard. I don't know if you've read my response, but personally I think that when you react emotionally, it's far less effective. I tried to speak rationally about it, and I think I got my point through (did I EA?).

I understand what you're saying, but (and this is not intended as an insult) you're kidding yourself if you believe that your responses were in any way more "rational" than were my own-- unless you feel that the slightest invocation of emotional rhetoric (e.g., my "fuck you" etc.) somehow mitigates the rationality of whatever else I may utter. I spoke soundly-- but yeah, I get a bit heated when someone supposes that they're in a position to condone those who would mete out life and death judgment on me and mine. Sorry if you disagree. Dispassionate analysis has never been my forte, as that sort of thing is reserved for those who actually care more about how they're perceived by others than in the correctness and justness of their own arguments. If something is just and true, even very ardent reactions concerning that belief cannot taint its veracity in the slightest. Yes, the way an argument is presented can turn certain people off to what you're trying to convey if you're overly fervent, but I don't feel that I overstepped those bounds in this thread.

I get heated about many things to various degrees, all of them unrighteous; that doesn't make my "message" less credible, necessarily, it just makes me human. I embrace that aspect of myself, as far as it goes (and I'm well-aware of where to draw that line). I stand by my words herein; if anything, I feel that my passion about certain matters imbues my words with a greater potency, provided that I back them up with sound argumentation...which I did. :p You are, as always, free to disagree. :)

PS- are you "the big wiggle"? :p (I avoided using your old nick in case you didn't want it to be common knowledge) I'm lost with all the new names around here.

FightyF

Banned
I understand what you're saying, but (and this is not intended as an insult) you're kidding yourself if you believe that your responses were in any way more "rational" than were my own-- unless you feel that the slightest invocation of emotional rhetoric (e.g., my "fuck you" etc.) somehow mitigates the rationality of whatever else I may utter. I spoke soundly-- but yeah, I get a bit heated when someone supposes that they're in a position to condone those who would mete out life and death judgment on me and mine. Sorry if you disagree. Dispassionate analysis has never been my forte, as that sort of thing is reserved for those who actually care more about how they're perceived by others than in the correctness and justness of their own arguments. If something is just and true, even very ardent reactions concerning that belief cannot taint its veracity in the slightest. Yes, the way an argument is presented can turn certain people off to what you're trying to convey if you're overly fervent, but I don't feel that I overstepped those bounds in this thread.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Like I said I understand it. I'm just thinking that it's not as effective and may cause others to be less open minded and start defending their (ridiculous) POV even moreso. As far as rationality goes...read my next statement.

I get heated about many things to various degrees, all of them unrighteous; that doesn't make my "message" less credible, necessarily, it just makes me human. I embrace that aspect of myself, as far as it goes (and I'm well-aware of where to draw that line). I stand by my words herein; if anything, I feel that my passion about certain matters imbues my words with a greater potency, provided that I back them up with sound argumentation...which I did. You are, as always, free to disagree.

It didn't and doesn't make your arguement less credible. It just makes it a bit harder to read and easier for your intended "target" to ignore. Kinda like drowning out your rational points. Perhaps I'm looking at things from a different perspective, much like an "angry customer" perspective, where they have every right to be angry, and have a lot of points, but if they start cussing excessively and start shaking their fists...it makes helping them a bit harder. :p

It's totally up to you, respond how you like. I just see some of your good arguements being ignored and not responded to, but hey, I guess that happens quite often on these forums :D

*Does the Big Wiggle*

maharg

idspispopd
"Dispassionate analysis has never been my forte, as that sort of thing is reserved for those who actually care more about how they're perceived by others than in the correctness and justness of their own arguments."

*ahem* I think this was rather heavily on the obnoxiously rude side. I expect better from you loki, even when you're imbuing your appeals with emotional fervor ;)

Loki

Count of Concision
maharg said:
*ahem* I think this was rather heavily on the obnoxiously rude side. I expect better from you loki, even when you're imbuing your appeals with emotional fervor ;)

:)

Allow me to clarify:

I didn't mean that one who provides dispassionate analysis cannot also have an emotional investment in the topic being discussed, but rather that-- in a forum such as this, at least-- those who would pretend that they are not emotionally invested in their argument for the sake of appearing rational or "even-handed" are more interested in maintaining that outward decorum than in expressing their genuine feelings as human beings. Now, if one simply doesn't have an emotional investment in the topic under discussion, then that's fine also-- purely rational, intellectual disagreement is well and good, and has its place. But since I do house some of those emotions, it would require me not being true to myself to pretend that they don't exist merely to conform to the strictures of proper "debate" (this is GA, after all ;)). To put it more succinctly, my personal priority is to embrace my humanity, with all its attendant features (emotions, fleeting fancies etc.), before rigidly adhering to arbitrary rules of conduct-- provided that I don't step over the line and just repeatedly berate someone without providing any argumentation to back it up. I know very well where that line is, and I didn't cross it.

This is not a formal debate. If it was, you can be sure that I wouldn't have prefaced my comments with a "fuck you" or anything of the sort, as others may be wont to refrain from saying even here on the forum for the sake of "debate". The discourse here is largely informal; as such, I didn't feel that I stepped over the line in making known my disdain and anger towards his sentiments by way of a profanity. I mean, it's not as if I was constantly cursing him out or anything-- it was only one or two (okay, maybe three :p) times.

I can see where you're coming from, however, and perhaps I didn't phrase it as well as I could have. Perhaps it would have been better to say that those who unfailingly offer dispassionate analysis typically care more about propriety than they do about expressing other, more human, aspects of themselves (such as emotion). I myself have often provided such detached, objective analysis (no, seriously, I have :p), but if you don't get a bit riled up about people calling you a pig who deserves death, well...I'd check for a pulse if I were you. ;) Point being that I didn't mean to imply that those who offer up such stoic commentary are concerned with mere superficialities, or that they have no emotion, or are somehow less human-- it's just that, as per my personal priorities, the expression of such sentiment, when warranted, takes precedence over interpersonal formalities...to a point (and, again, I don't feel I came anywhere near that point). If someone else's priorities hold that the provision of objective, detached analysis trumps the expression of their emotions (which can, perhaps justifiably, be seen as baser elements of themselves), then that's fine....for them. :p I express my anger when it's merited, and I've seen every other poster on this board do the same, yourself included. I was just trying to explain to FightforFreeform why I personally don't care much about such concerns as he highlighted.

In my haste, I conflated two strains of reasoning in my head with my original statement which you quoted-- one of these is described in this post, and the other I clarified later in the previous post when I spoke of how emotional appeals cannot, on their own, affect the veracity of a statement or argument. I should have taken the time to get my thoughts in order. Sorry.

I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me, maharg. ;) :D

EDIT: Also, in saying that emotions are "more human" aspects of our being, I don't mean to suggest that pure intellectualism and rationality are somehow not "human", or that they are in any way less human-- they're neither. But, along with our rational nature, our emotional, subjectivist inclinations also figure prominently in what it means to be human imo. I guess I meant "more human" in the primal, animalistic sense. ;) Personally, I'd estimate that I'm 70-80% rational and 20-30% emotional, though those numbers vary depending upon the topic under discussion. ;) This was just a disclaimer so that I don't get nitpicked any more. Boo on you mean men. :D

Fight for Freeform:

Your points are duly noted. :) The fact of the matter is that I'm typically not really concerned, for whatever reasons, about how "effective" my arguments are in terms of how many people I persuade or reach, at least on GA. You know as well as I do how little people's views are changed by honest debate here, and I wouldn't want to buck that trend by providing wholly unemotional, if more efficacious, arguments. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom