• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200 main event announced - Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dana rocking that Rabban Harkonnen grin.

rabban.jpg

Sorry Dana, us casuals want Conor.

I'm so happy for Miesha she is getting the spotlight like this after all these years. She's been a major trailblazer for Women's MMA for years and years. So cool

VoxPop

4-5 close rounds where nearly nothing happened, lots of stalling in the clinch, and a few pointless takedowns? Shit, if Cormier had taken Jones down in two more rounds, instead of just one, he might have won on that alone.

It was a clear win for Jones but the domination narrative doesn't hold water.

Cormier might take this one if he makes a handful of improvements or doesn't gas. Or maybe Jones does dominate, if he's off the drugs. More likely Jones wins another boring decision. Which is why this main event isn't compelling. All the animosity before the first one meant fuck-all.

These two guys are the two best fighters in the UFC regardless of weight division.

"If Cormier had taken Jones down in two more rounds".

He couldn't except for a pity gift takedown in the fourth or fifth. He was getting completely nullified in the grappling. Jon was the first to take him down and a bunch more after that and pretty much took his fighting spirit with them.

I also hate this whole coulda woulda shoulda narrative. It's like if Aldo didn't get punched in the face, he could have possibly put up a decent fight against McGregor.

Jon "dominated" that fight winning 4 out of the 5 rounds. Against a guy who had never even lost a round before that. And the reason Cormier was gassed was because Jon kept throwing kicks and punches to the body that Cormier didn't block. From what I remember, Comier had the most success in the clinch with those hard uppercuts.

I'm sure it'll be a little more competitive this time around but as long as a motivated Jon shows up, he secures another W.

That being said, I like the fight. It's the two best fighters in the UFC and that's exactly who should be headlining at their marquee event. It doesn't have the glitz and glamour of the initial Diaz/Conor fight and most likely a lot less PPV buys + gate but it's a formidable replacement imo.

Brinbe

Yeah, Dana lucked out. This is a much better main event. This is why he made the right decision not caving to Conor. There are others that can step up and replace him.

darscot

I'm a little behind on the conference but the dark haired women asking questions seems like a plant throwing softballs to cool the Conor situation.

ApharmdX

Banned
These two guys are the two best fighters in the UFC regardless of weight division.

"If Cormier had taken Jones down in two more rounds".

He couldn't except for a pity gift takedown in the fourth or fifth. He was getting completely nullified in the grappling. Jon was the first to take him down and a bunch more after that and pretty much took his fighting spirit with them.

I also hate this whole coulda woulda shoulda narrative. It's like if Aldo didn't get punched in the face, he could have possibly put up a decent fight against McGregor.

Jon "dominated" that fight winning 4 out of the 5 rounds. Against a guy who had never even lost a round before that. And the reason Cormier was gassed was because Jon kept throwing kicks and punches to the body that Cormier didn't block. From what I remember, Comier had the most success in the clinch with those hard uppercuts.

I'm sure it'll be a little more competitive this time around but as long as a motivated Jon shows up, he secures another W.

That being said, I like the fight. It's the two best fighters in the UFC and that's exactly who should be headlining at their marquee event. It doesn't have the glitz and glamour of the initial Diaz/Conor fight and most likely a lot less PPV buys + gate but it's a formidable replacement imo.

Cormier's takedown wasn't a gift; as I remember it he had to use a ton of effort to get Jones down. I usually don't like hypothetical MMA scenarios but Cormier is one of the best wrestlers in all of MMA. He's got some of the best credentials of any grappler in MMA. He should have outwrestled Jones and it's not far-fetched to think that he might be able to win three rounds out of five with his wrestling.

Jones' gameplan of working the body on Cormier was a smart one, no doubt. He gassed, hard. Coming from HW, with a history of weight cut issues as a wrestler, and with some of the dumbass training you see at AKA, that really fucked with Daniel.

Yeah, this fight costs the UFC millions versus the Diaz/Conor fight. If the card had both fights, it would be incredible and a must-buy. As it is, I'm not really convinced. This isn't as amazing as UFC100 even though there are a lot of legit, relevant fights... it lacks spectacle.

Levito

Banned
Well thta was fun, way better main event than Conor/Nate.

Why would you talk shit to Jon Jones? I mean, seriously, that guy could jump you, you know.

Yeah especially if you're pregnant, he might almost kill you and your unborn child.

If you'd told me 6 months ago UFC 200 wouldn't feature either McGregor or Rousey, I'd have called you crazy. It'll still be a big show but it's not even in the same league of what it could have been if they'd managed to get the rematches for those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom