• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Junior Doctors finally going on first ever NHS strike - 1st, 8th, 16th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopus

Banned
I'm confused at when I ever agreed that doctors should work more and be paid the same or less. I said they shouldn't have to do more than 5 days like the regular work force. I believe in them working the same hours as say, your average office worker.

I believe basically everyone who quoted me got me all wrong and/or put words in my mouth because I'm on your side.

My mistake, all I read was that you agreed with 2700 before I started frothing at the mouth.

:)

I'm confused at when I ever agreed that doctors should work more and be paid the same or less. I said they shouldn't have to do more than 5 days like the regular work force. I believe in them working the same hours as say, your average office worker.

I believe basically everyone who quoted me got me all wrong and/or put words in my mouth because I'm on your side.

Sorry, I jumped the gun. But what is the end point of putting more doctors in weekends? Are you trying to improve emergency services or routine services?

- We have a robust NHS emergency service out of hours.

- There is room to improve non-urgent but necessary procedures, however this requires increase in auxilliary staff. E.g. if I want to perform more endoscopies in a weekend, I will require more receptionists, porters, endoscopy, cleaning and laboratory staff. The new contract changes nothing as there is already an on call doctor capable of doing this procedure at any given time of day. There is no money to recruit the additional staff to carry out this procedure however.

- There is room to improve routine services. However, this would require massive funding boosts to recruit more staff in every facet of a hospital. More doctors alone will achieve nothing. You need additional social care, receptionists, security, transport, porters, HCAs, nurses, physios, OTs, pharmacists, theatre staff, laboratory staff. There is simply no money to do this and it is unfeasible.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Sorry, I jumped the gun. But what is the end point of putting more doctors in weekends? Are you trying to improve emergency services or routine services?

- We have a robust NHS emergency service out of hours.

- There is room to improve non-urgent but necessary procedures, however this requires increase in auxilliary staff. E.g. if I want to perform more endoscopies in a weekend, I will require more receptionists, porters, endoscopy, cleaning and laboratory staff. The new contract changes nothing as there is already an on call doctor capable of doing this procedure at any given time of day. There is no money to recruit the additional staff to carry out this procedure however.

- There is room to improve routine services. However, this would require massive funding boosts to recruit more staff in every facet of a hospital. More doctors alone will achieve nothing. You need additional social care, receptionists, security, transport, porters, HCAs, nurses, physios, OTs, pharmacists, theatre staff, laboratory staff. There is simply no money to do this and it is unfeasible.

I don't think there should be more doctors at the weekends either?

All I'm saying, now it may not be perfect but something like. For example, I work Mon-Fri, 9 hours a day with 1 hour of that for lunch. Same for doctors but those 5, 9-hour slots could be anywhere in the week as long as they don't overlap the same like, 12 or 18 hour period or something like that.

All I'm saying, now it may not be perfect but something like. Say I would Mon-Fri, 9 hours a day with 1 hour of that for lunch. Same for doctors but those 5, 9-hour slots could be anywhere in the week as long as they don't overlap the same like, 12 or 18 hour period or something like that.

There's already a system like that :)

Sh1ner

I'm not denying that. That doesn't change the fact it's not working any more. It doesn't change the fact that I'm sick of waiting for sub-par treatment.
It's not my fault the conservatives are running it into the ground, I didn't vote for them. I'm just not going to sit around waiting for it to improve. I can't exactly influence it. My vote already went to those who want to keep it running.
Good for you. What about the people who can't afford that?
What about them? They're not my responsibility.

Wow

MrChom

Just be clear, when I said private is the way forward, I meant for me, now. I pay because I don't want to use the NHS, and I don't want to wait.
I'd love public health care to work, but if it's not working, do we just have to accept that it's not good? I'm not a bad person for using what I have to get a better service.
I'd rather pay and not wait. If people can't afford to pay to skip queues, then ok. I don't owe them convenience.

Unless it's for non-essential surgery (Some plastic surgeries for instance) then the private sector "Health Industry" simply should not exist on the grounds that to allow it to exist is to state that the life and well-being of the rich is more important than anyone else.

As far as I'm concerned health insurance, private hospitals, different operating priorities within the NHS per postcode amount to being highly immoral and should be removed from the system.

I'm not saying you're a bad person for choosing to use them, mind, far from it. It's natural to look out for yourself first...I'm criticising the system itself at the moment.

hohoXD123

Just watched last night's Newsnight coverage of this where they interviewed Johann Malawana. It was pure gutter press-style journalism when the interviewer tried to desperately use his hobby in photography to somehow to detract from his argument about the contract promoting unsafe working hours, and suggesting that doctors already have plenty of free time.

All I'm saying, now it may not be perfect but something like. For example, I work Mon-Fri, 9 hours a day with 1 hour of that for lunch. Same for doctors but those 5, 9-hour slots could be anywhere in the week as long as they don't overlap the same like, 12 or 18 hour period or something like that.

That's what shift rotas are for. Some people end up working on the weekends like that. For example, I'm gonna do a long day on this sunday at the hospital. Rotas allow the staff to be enough for every single day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom