• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

Boke1879

Just didn't feel a lot of hype, didn't see too much marketing outside of fighting events and just had a ton of negativity surrounding it.

That said. As of right now it looks fun to watch. Not sure how long that will last.

Those are really bad number but I'm not shocked this game has gotten no hype or marketing. Personally I was not going to get the game because most of the characters I play were not in the rooster. It doesn't help that the game visually doesn't look all that appealing.

Gartooth

It was kind of weird to me that they didn't just hire someone like a random publisher and Iron Galaxy to make an accessible, Marvel only fighting game for consoles, since like... Capcom isn't really a good selling product until these days.

I guess they might have approved this game before Street Fighter V ranked.

Hell Iron Galaxy would be a better fit too for Marvel. Sure they're untested as far as large story content, but I think their past experience shows they at the very least would be a better partner for representing the brand. Marvel and Capcom seem incompatible as partners at this point.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Doubtful. This is still the U.K. We're talking about. It'd do better in Japan though
Nah this game didn't even chart in the top 40 in the UK it sold in the hundreds on the xb1 not even thousands. Switch version would have had a very good chance of outselling that honestly.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Disney didn't go back to Activision for Spider-Man though despite their prior success.

They went and found s developer who was doing a good job because Activision did t have an amazing record lately.
True but there wasn't some serious brand and fanbase attached to those games just slightly better licensed stuff activision normally puts out. MvC has a very vocal brand and community. Any such theoretical game would have had a hard time pr wise. Not so much now but off the back of MvC 3 there would have been some backlash to it.

RRockman

Banned
Because it's the ugliest game of all-time amirite.

Frankly yes, those screenshots do look ugly to me. They half did the photo realistic look, and that look was never a good look for MvC. Marvel is about a Freaking comic book universe fighting characters from game series by a dev that is known for flashy use or color and animation in their games.
Mvc3's cel shaded look was the best was of translating that feel in 3d.

Here it's like the lifted the animations and the specials but they didn't take any of the style 3 (what with the comic book motif between the menus, specials, character select) had and feels significantly more generic by default. There were several specials that were in infinite that look worse than 3 because of the lack of style alone.

HotHamBoy

GTA V!?!?!?

Get out of here already, christ!

Anyway, MvC:I flopped because it doesn't have Spider-Man on the cover.

Kidding aside, I personally think the game is great and it certainly presents a better product than SFV did at launch.

Injustice 2 sales smashed it, right? Injustice certainly has a better SP package and had a massive marketing budget. Plus, thos graohics are fantastic and MvC:I has awful art direction. Hmm.

VariantX

Roster and presentation are killing this game point blank. Capcom holds back all their most popular characters to sell later as DLC. Marvel pushes their MCU characters that no one gives a fuck about who play these games. All wrapped up in comparatively boring visuals compared to the last game. And the soundtrack is straight up bad compared to all the previous games. Game looks like it was designed by suits in a boardroom rather than people who wanted to make something cool based on it's presentation alone.

HotHamBoy

Roster and presentation are killing this game point blank. Capcom holds back all their most popular characters to sell later as DLC. Marvel pushes their MCU characters that no one gives a fuck about who play these games. All wrapped up in comparatively boring visuals compared to the last game. And the soundtrack is straight up bad compared to all the previous games. Game looks like it was designed by suits in a boardroom rather than people who wanted to make something cool based on it's presentation alone.

Eh, the soundtrack is fine. MvC2 OST is hot garbage, it's just jokes.

I revisted UMvC3 after playing some of MvCI and it doesn't have imoressive graohics but it does have consistent and attractive art-direction. The aesthetic is very pleasing and cohesive. The new game is just gaudy and even grotesque at times.

The menus are super bland compared to UMvC3, too.

Memory

Is Capcom hurting for money? MvCI just seems like it was poorly put together and the entire budget was spent on the story mode.

Absolute shame to see where Capcom once was to how they treat their fighting game franchises now.

I picked it out out of love for the series and my god the production values are terrible all round.
The only thing that is good is the combat itself, and even that is hampered by the poor roster and thus moveset selection.

VariantX

Why are people acting as if at the end of the day Pokken isn't a pokemon game, of course it's going to sell decently

A game on a single platform with a relatively limited hardware install base shouldn't be blowing out a game that's on 3 platforms, each with far more hardware sold because of their time in the market.

groansey

Capcom cut the roster, cut the teams, janked the graphics, pushed content into DLC model... all after burning customers with SFV.

A well-made MvC sequel would be well-recieved. Though personally I didn't care for the direction of MvC3.

MCUvC:I gets the disdain it deserves. Sad for Capcom overall as they were one of the best devs, but something has gone awry.

Why are people acting as if at the end of the day Pokken isn't a pokemon game, of course it's going to sell decently

1. It's a spin-off. Those don't all sell decently.
2. It's a fighting game spin-off.
3. It's a rerelease of an old game.
4. You could say the same about MvC and the Marvel brand.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
New game vs. Port of a year old title
PS4/XBO userbase vs. Switch userbase
UK market

Don't think anyone expected Pokken DX to do better than MvCI.

Speaking of fighting games this gen, do we have any numbers for Killer Instinct? It was a digital only game for the longest time and is technically a limites f2p titled, but it seemed successful enough to get continuous support.

Do we have copies/licenses sold or active players or something?

Mugy

I still insist that this can't be pure Capcom faults. All the marketing decisions are incredible wrong even compared to MVC3 or SF V. MVCI its even worse at that point.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
New game vs. Port of a year old title
PS4/XBO userbase vs. Switch userbase
UK market

Don't think anyone expected Pokken DX to do better than MvCI.
I doubt Capcom expected it to come anywhere close. Thier expectations are 2 million Shipped I doubt Pokken deluxe comes close to that.

Massive fan of umvc3, but im not touchin Infinite.
  • Shite roster
  • Shite graphics, which is important for this franchise
  • Only interesting character is DLC
You can hardly blame people for worrying about mh:world @ the initial reveal, when capcom are king of fuck ups.

jett

D-Member
I mean, what else would Langdon and Itsuno be working on?
Sure as hell ain't Dragons Dogma 2.

Patches for Dragon's Dogma Online! lol. Itsuno could be working on anything. Maybe a new IP. Hell, maybe DMC5 actually exists for some reason.

Langdon worked on Infinite, is there actual proof that he's working on something else DMC-related?

Jawmuncher

A new up?

Guess that's possible.

Patches for Dragon's Dogma Online! lol. Itsuno could be working on anything. Maybe a new IP. Hell, maybe DMC5 actually exists for some reason.

Langdon worked on Infinite, is there actual proof that he's working on something else DMC-related?

We know there was a mocap session with him and Itsuno and apparently Itsuno had no invovlement with MVCI. Capcom apparently didn't even ask him to overlook the character.

NotLiquid

I'm 99% sure if DMC5 exists it's one hell of a monkey paw

Hasn't that been the case for every DMC game after the first one

DMC2 was, well, DMC2
DMC3 feels a little bit rigid to return to after the insane freedom of on-the-fly style switching in DMC4
DMC4 is unfinished and has a recycled second half

(Real talk they added all these playable characters in DMC4:SE and couldn't even add original levels/encounters for at least Dante - I'm still salty)

PantsuJo

Hasn't that been the case for every DMC game after the first one

DMC2 was, well, DMC2
DMC3 feels a little bit rigid to return to after the insane freedom of on-the-fly style switching in DMC4
DMC4 is unfinished and has a recycled second half

(Real talk they added all these playable characters in DMC4:SE and couldn't even add original levels/encounters for at least Dante - I'm still salty)
What we really need is a DMCRemake.
Just like REmake

Not DMC5 or DmC 2.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It was kind of weird to me that they didn't just hire someone like a random publisher and Iron Galaxy to make an accessible, Marvel only fighting game for consoles, since like... Capcom isn't really a good selling product until these days.

I guess they might have approved this game before Street Fighter V ranked.

The game have been in the development ever since 2015. Yeah, you're more likely to be right.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is Capcom hurting for money? MvCI just seems like it was poorly put together and the entire budget was spent on the story mode.

Absolute shame to see where Capcom once was to how they treat their fighting game franchises now.

They were trying to set up MVCI as GAAS so we could have few years of supports. Many fans don't like the idea because they have to pay 60 dollars for base.

BadWolf

They actually had a very limited budget for the SE and the initial plan was just to include Vergil.

During development Itsuno and co. decided to include Lady and Trish and had to stretch that same budget to the absolute limit to do so.

Top Bottom