• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

Marker007

The demo hurt it more than it helped it in my honest opinion. Also, the character designs are trash, Captain America is a hunch back with no neck to be seen. Don't get me started on the vocie acting which has been pretty horrid thus far. The best looking character design is MonHun and she's locked behind DLC.

Jawmuncher

The demo hurt it more than it helped it in my honest opinion. Also, the character designs are trash, Captain America is a hunch back with no neck to be seen. Don't get me started on the vocie acting which has been pretty horrid thus far. The best looking character design is MonHun and she's locked behind DLC.

Yeah everyone seemed to agree the story demo was a bad look. Especially when the story itself isn't all that special. But the opening is easily the worst part of it.

Zubz

Banned
giphy.gif

"But guys, it's just nostalgia! The sales mean nothing. Everyone will realize how bad Crash Bandicoot was & move on."

*AHEM*

Gloating aside, Pokkèn outdoing a highly-anticipated Capcom fighter felt surreal the last time. This time, it's just a port of Pokkèn, but I'm actually less surprised due to how poorly MvC was handled this time around. I want it to pull through, but I'm not too optimistic here.

Marker007

Really feels like Capcom is out of touch with the entire fighting game formula. It's ironic that Street Fighter IV brought the genre back to the masses and now the same people behind that game are shooting themselves in the foot over and over with their newest titles.

I really wanted to want to get MvCi on release if that makes sense.
But damn did Capcom just keep hindering themselves, I'll likely get it down the line with a price drop and I imagine that the actual gameplay side of things is perfectly solid.
Ultimately the continous ball dropping was too much, Black Panther and Monster Hunter being DLC was the final straw, I was struggling to get hype for that roster with the initial character leak being underwhelming and cutting my main man Wright but at least these newcomers were there....except they weren't, at least not with the £40 base package.
They're asking too much money for something that looks like its budget was cheaped out on.

Granted in regards to Pokken, that's a pricey as hell port and not much to shout about, yet as an aside its few new characters managed to grab me more than what Marvel was offering.

What's funny here now I think about it is that earlier this year I was thinking "Marvel? DAY 1, Injustice? probably never!"
Yet I actually did get Injustice 2 on launch, well played netherealm.
Really what stings is that Capcom just seemingly didn't learn much at all from Street Fighter 5 (and that game I actually still like a lot). I hope infinite can find its footing, continue scrubbing up that artstyle, get some real cool characters going for DLC and maybe price things better.

gtj1092

Because it's a port of a game that came out last year at full price? We are comparing ports to day one releases now?

Also why the fuck did Pokken, Infinite and Xenoverse all release the same week?

Pokken charted though. Switch isn't some silver bullet to sales. Is Arms even in the top 40?

Either way to chart is maybe 1000 sales if that this week. Point being a switch version charting higher than the X1 version is immaterial to MvCI success.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pokken charted though. Switch isn't some silver bullet to sales. Is Arms even in the top 40?

Either way to chart is maybe 1000 sales if that this week. Point being a switch version charting higher than the X1 version is immaterial to MvCI success.
That's the point this the UK Nintendo titles haven't done particularity wel here for a while not even Splatoon 2 did all that well. If your getting your ads kicked by them here you have some serious problems

Nimby

Banned
If you don't care about your game, then I'm sure the consumer won't either.

Pick 2 for your Capcom fighter:
1. Single player content
2. Good graphics
3. A mechanically fun fighter

If you don't care about your game, then I'm sure the consumer won't either.

Pick 2 for your Capcom fighter:
1. Single player content
2. Good graphics
3. A mechanically fun fighter

We've seen the other 2 combos, so they should try doing 1 and 2 next.

Alo0oy

Banned
I said this in a previous thread, it should have been a Marvel fighting game, the Capcom part was dragging it down, I really want a Marvel fighting game, I'm done with Crossover Marvel fighting games.

I'll wait 5 years for an actual Marvel fighting game on console in the style of Injustice, Marvel vs Capcom was a novelty that died a long time ago.

I said this in a previous thread, it should have been a Marvel fighting game, the Capcom part was dragging it down, I really want a Marvel fighting game, I'm done with Crossover Marvel fighting games.

I'll wait 5 years for an actual Marvel fighting game on console in the style of Injustice, Marvel vs Capcom was a novelty that died a long time ago.
If you want an Injustice style Marvel game you need NRS, which is never happening.
It's a fighting game?
It doesn't have fun fighting mechanics.

I'm being funny, but in all seriousness a Capcom fighting game that isn't fun to play wouldn't last long.

MvsC3 is one of my favorite games of all time and i haven't even considered getting MvsC:I until it drops to somewhere around 20$.
For a sequel that came 6 years later it's unbeliavable how inferior it looks to it's predecessor. Not surprised at all that it's bombed hard.

I'm in the same boat.

mreddie

Why they didn't just do MSH 2 astounds me.

Also not having Capcom do it.

Yes, this is UK and US is the prime real estate but fuck, that doesn't help at all.

If Lego Marvel outsells Infinite, oh boy...

mebizzle

I would argue that more than just the Capcom part of this is bringing this game down. Having to shoehorn garbage from the MCU and replace the X-men foundation of the series is no bueno.

It being so similar to the last entry (which was released in 2011) also doesn't help.

I meant conceptually, a solid story mode, realistic 3D models, and tons of alternate outfits, without some Capcom character playing the third wheel.
Not to mention, NRS "Never happening" is just an opinion. There's value in a Marvel vs DC. Lego does Marvel, and those games are WB. Etc.

Neoxon

Not to mention, NRS "Never happening" is just an opinion. There's value in a Marvel vs DC. Lego does Marvel, and those games are WB. Etc.
Part of the reason for that is due to Lego already having the Marvel license, so it's not exactly a "If _____ is the case, then _______ can happen" scenario.

Megatron

We shouldnt over react to this. The UK weekly chart is a pretty small pond app things considered. If it looks like that in the npd, that could be a problem.

Neoxon

We shouldnt over react to this. The UK weekly chart is a pretty small pond app things considered. If it looks like that in the npd, that could be a problem.
While yes, this is only one part of the whole picture, it's still not a good look.

Alo0oy

Banned
I would argue that more than just the Capcom part of this is bringing this game down. Having to shoehorn garbage from the MCU and replace the X-men foundation of the series is no bueno.

It being so similar to the last entry (which was released in 2011) also doesn't help.

It's crazy how their second most popular character isn't in the game (Wolverine), and how male dominated that roster is , Marvel's gender diversity comes mostly from mutants, their female roster is dry without Jean, Storm..etc.

Damn MvC:I failed badly. But it's expected you cannot entice casual crowd when your game looks like a early ps3 or HD ps2. Seriously no pro support, no HDR. You cannot expect a AAA title to be this lacking in graphics department these days let alone a fighter. Then sell it at a full price. Capcom proves me yet again these days gameplay don't mean nothing in AAA market. Atleast RE7 is still selling. from 33 to 13 this week. wow big jump.

Jawmuncher

Damn MvC:I failed badly. But it's expected you cannot entice casual crowd when your game looks like a early ps3 or HD ps2. Seriously no pro support, no HDR. You cannot expect a AAA title to be this lacking in graphics department these days let alone a fighter. Capcom proves me yet again these days gameplay don't mean nothing in AAA market. Atleast RE7 is still selling. from 33 to 13 this week. wow big jump.

Guessing all the DLC talk helped out. Not to mention in the UK you can probably get the base game with the season pass cheaper than waiting on the gold edition.

Neoxon

It's crazy how their second most popular character isn't in the game (Wolverine), and how male dominated that roster is , Marvel's gender diversity comes mostly from mutants, their female roster is dry without Jean, Storm..etc.
That was true in the 90's. But with the rise in prominence for characters like Captain Marvel, Gamora, Black Widow, Wasp, Squirrel Girl, Jessica Jones, Quake, & Medusa (the first 3 of which are/will be in MvCI) as well as the creation of new non-mutant female heroes like Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Moon Girl, & Lady Thor, Marvel doesn't really have a shortage of non-mutant females. There aren't nearly as many, sure, & MvCI's base roster definitely suffered in gender diversity due to the ban. But Marvel had tons of options outside of the Fox characters for ladies, & there really isn't any excuse for them not to have more ladies on Day 1. Hell, they could have improved things by just bringing She-Hulk back.

Capcom isn't off the hook in this regard, either. Unless there was some gender parity clause between both sides for the base roster, Capcom could have easily picked up Marvel's slack in terms of ladies with just Trish, Tron Bonne, Crimson Viper, & Hsien-Ko (I'd imagine that Felicia was off the table due to esports, but that's just a guess on my part).

Vice

Even without mutants Black Widow, She Hulk, Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl,Medusa, Mockingbird, Jessica Jones, Elektra, Black Cat, Valkyrie, and Wasp for popular or fan favorite female Marvel characters.

Neoxon

Even without mutants Black Widow, She Hulk, Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl,Medusa, Mockingbird, Jessica Jones, Elektra, Black Cat, Valkyrie, and Wasp for popular or fan favorite female Marvel characters.
We're actually getting Black Widow (albeit as DLC).

blakep267

THe issue is that you would need the NRS team to take time and make hat game instead of making Mortal kombat or Injustice. Why would it benefit WB to not make those games and make a marvel game instead

mas8705

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was MvC that big in the UK? If the audience isn't there (or rather isn't as abundant as in other parts of the world), then it shouldn't come as a shock if it under performs.

Still, with the way the game was built up to release, it shouldn't come as a shock at all that Capcom didn't do a good job at promoting the game (and according to some, still can't promote the game well considering how the DLC is being handled. Some are still pissed off that we didn't see any gameplay reveal for the two established DLC characters for several months and instead went to MH, which also pissed off people considering that people are saying how she and the rest of the New DLC Characters should have been in the initial roster and behind the infamous Season Pass Wall).

Who is to blame for MvC:I failing so badly? Disney or Capcom? I think this is it for Capcom I think. Disney's competitor WB is making banks with their Gaming division. Injustice 2 probably sold 5 or 10 times more than MvC:I. I think Disney/Marvel will drop capcom and look elsewhere for their next fighter.

cordy

Banned
Who is to blame for MvC:I failing so badly? Disney or Capcom? I think this is it for Capcom I think. Disney's competitor WB is making banks with their Gaming division. Injustice 2 probably sold 5 or 10 times more than MvC:I. I think Disney/Marvel will drop capcom and look elsewhere for their next fighter.

Capcom's been failing in their games for a while now so it's definitely them. Sure Disney can get a shot too but these days Capcom's just the one when it comes to this.

Idk man. I was hyped when this was announced, I was wanting X before MvC3, always mentioning him, he was announced and I preordered the 200 bucks versions with the stones, I was hyped when Sigma was announced but shit it just got worse (like things always get worse with today's Capcom), canceled my preorder and here we are. It's clockwork for Capcom these days.

AerialAir

Banned
- Project Cars 2 debuted 74 % less than Project Cars

Well... that's undeserved, I've heard all sorts of great stuff about that game. Hopefully that means PC2 GoTY incoming in a year or so, need them 200+ cars on disc when I buy it.

In regards to MvCI... the rooster was really bad so, nothing unexpected.

Toxi

Banned
Don't design a game around selling DLC. Don't design a game around selling DLC. Don't design a game around selling DLC.

The WOM for this game was positively toxic. Even as someone who's been down on Capcom for a while, I've never seen anything this bad and this unanimous pre-launch before.

The quintuple whammy of the roster leak, its horrible E3 story demo, terrible graphics, that disastrous "functions" "most people don't know who the X-Men are" interview, and DB FighterZ' announcement destroyed the game. That stench followed it wherever it went and Capcom made no attempt to ever fix that. It seemed telling they basically gave up on marketing it afterward.

The game really had no business launching in 2017. Whether it was their own pride, financial/contractual obligations or what, they did anyway, and they have to reap the results of that inability to actually address the numerous problems with the game.

I love the game already but this is basically facts. I think it looks great in motion too, few weird things aside.

Maybe not destroyed fully but it needs some attention and a real plan beyond to rehabilitate it. It's so odd they haven't decided to put their best foot forward or to combat any of the things that were and still are being said about the game.

It needs goodwill and in a bad way.

DrArchon

Don't design a game around selling DLC. Don't design a game around selling DLC. Don't design a game around selling DLC.

"But that works for all those other games as a service games! Why can't it work for us?"

*Ignores the fact that those games look really good and don't get terrible word of mouth before release*

Chun-Li is too ugly in this. I didn't buy the game because of it, trust me, details like this kill the game.

A lack of sexy girls stopped me from buying the game. I think Morrigan looked better in MvC3 too.
I also wonder how much the lack of X-men affected others? Are they well known to teens these days? Are the MCU characters too "Disney"/clean/boring?

I think Disney is done with fighting games that isn't on mobile. Disney's real bets are with Spider-Man. Infinite was just a small project.

Neoxon

A lack of sexy girls stopped me from buying the game. I think Morrigan looked better in MvC3 too.
I also wonder how much the lack of X-men affected others? Are they well known to teens these days? Are the MCU characters too "Disney"/clean/boring?
The X-Men aren't as big as they used to be, but they still have brand awareness (especially Wolverine & Deadpool).

Top Bottom