• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

BadWolf

this is exactly what i been thinking too. lol. it'll be nothing short of a miraacle if that game releases without capcom finding some way to pee in their consumer's eyes

If the base package is as bare bones as RE7 then they can seriously go and fuck themselves.

DrArchon

Good show from Pokken. Wasn't expecting much from a rerelease that wasn't Mario Kart, but I guess people really wanted those arcade characters.

Woof for MvCI. Goes to show that Story Modes only do so much. Gotta have the full package of a great roster and a game that doesn't look like shit as well.

gtj1092

Nah this game didn't even chart in the top 40 in the UK it sold in the hundreds on the xb1 not even thousands. Switch version would have had a very good chance of outselling that honestly.

Then why isn't DBXV in the chart? And who cares if it did chart above the X1 version when the overall sales would still be terrible. Publishers aren't worried about charting they care about sales.

Jawmuncher

Then why isn't DBXV in the chart? And who cares if it did chart above the X1 version when the overall sales would still be terrible. Publishers aren't worried about charting they care about sales.

DBXV2 was kind of a stealth release on switch here in the west.
There wasn't much noise made around it and after DBZF more people probably just want that rather than playing some old news.

Because it's a port of a game that came out last year at full price? We are comparing ports to day one releases now?

Also why the fuck did Pokken, Infinite and Xenoverse all release the same week?

Durden77

Chun-Li is too ugly in this. I didn't buy the game because of it, trust me, details like this kill the game.

But she looks fine. Yeah at first it was horrendous but they fixed her a while ago.

eyoqvhxiz8kwxzvjviuf.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Capcom was probably handcuffed to the Infinity Gems concept due to the MCU and Disney controlling the license now. This is a glorified Infinity Wars: The Game which means this game will be supported through the 4th Avengers movie in 2019. That's why its being called Infinite and not 4. All the DLC characters (like Miles) are probably done and hidden in the file system meaning they don't have to re-tool the game later on.

In 2020, you might get a new game fighting game based on the all new Marvel landscape.

Chavelo

But she looks fine. Yeah at first it was horrendous but they fixed her a while ago.

First impressions are everything, though. The image on the left appeared on the story mode trailer at Sony's E3 conference. The one on the right is the "final" version.

Why couldn't Capcom just put more effort into making a better impression than just saying "fuck it, just show what we got right now"? The world may never know...

Si2k78

Of course charting matters. THe switch userbase is minuscule compared to xbone and PS4. Buying power of the switch userbase can be interpreted as stronger the publishers games are charting well at this phase, and can only improve as the switch userbase grows.

Capcom was probably handcuffed to the Infinity Gems concept due to the MCU and Disney controlling the license now. This is a glorified Infinity Wars: The Game which means this game will be supported through the 4th Avengers movie in 2019. That's why its being called Infinite and not 4. All the DLC characters (like Miles) are probably done and hidden in the file system meaning they don't have to re-tool the game later on.

In 2020, you might get a new game fighting game based on the all new Marvel landscape.
Where's your source for all this?

Neoxon

That's quite the leap in logic, especially when dataminers found no traces of disc-locked DLC characters beyond the Story Mode models for Black Panther, Monster Hunter, & Sigma.

Hyun Sai

First impressions are everything, though. The image on the left appeared on the story mode trailer at Sony's E3 conference. The one on the right is the "final" version.

Why couldn't Capcom just put more effort into making a better impression than just saying "fuck it, just show what we got right now"? The world may never know...

After the KoFXIV fiasco, one could have thought Capcom would avoid this mistake...

But they made it anyway...

dralla

I wonder how much the name of MvC hurt its sales. Not being a numbered sequel and giving it a subtitle carries a certain connotation. This in addition to it's poor visuals/presentation no doubt hurt its sales.

sjay1994

I wonder how much the name of MvC hurt its sales. Not being a numbered sequel and giving it a subtitle carries a certain connotation. This in addition to it's poor visuals/presentation no doubt hurt its sales.

I think it had more to do with the huge amount of negative press the game had, and the fact DBZ basically took so much of MVC's thunder with people gravitating towards it instead of MVC.

jett

D-Member
That's quite the leap in logic, especially when dataminers found no traces of disc-locked DLC characters beyond the Story Mode models for Black Panther, Monster Hunter, & Sigma.

There are no such models in the game right now since the cut-scenes are entirely FMV even. What happened was that someone working at Capcom leaked a list of in-production files.

The WOM for this game was positively toxic. Even as someone who's been down on Capcom for a while, I've never seen anything this bad and this unanimous pre-launch before.

The quintuple whammy of the roster leak, its horrible E3 story demo, terrible graphics, that disastrous "functions" "most people don't know who the X-Men are" interview, and DB FighterZ' announcement destroyed the game. That stench followed it wherever it went and Capcom made no attempt to ever fix that. It seemed telling they basically gave up on marketing it afterward.

The game really had no business launching in 2017. Whether it was their own pride, financial/contractual obligations or what, they did anyway, and they have to reap the results of that inability to actually address the numerous problems with the game.

This game bombing means nothing, they clearly put no money into its development and had low expectations to begin with. Every other MvC has had lack luster sales and it keeps on getting sequels anyway. The FGC will certainly be keeping this game going for years to come as Capcom continues to profit off dlc and esports.

Neoxon

There are no such models in the game right now since the cut-scenes are entirely FMV even. What happened was that someone working at Capcom leaked a list of in-production files.
You mean the .zip leak. The only other "in production" leak was the one on Reddit that's likely BS.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
This game bombing means nothing, they clearly put no money into its development and had low expectations to begin with. Every other MvC has had lack luster sales and it keeps on getting sequels anyway. The FGC will certainly be keeping this game going for years to come as Capcom continues to profit off dlc and esports.
MvC3 actually sold well IIRC

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It has the same expectations SFV had

Alienous

Marvel has a part in this too. Given their mobile game exploits I could very easily see them taking their fighting game business elsewhere.

I wonder if the X-Men ban could be resolved in the upcoming years.

So we could play as Magneto in Injustice 3: Marvel vs DC Universe (Featuring Johnny Cage, Mileena, Kano, and Spawn)

Dysun

I've bought every MvC until this one, but the roster and style just rubs me the wrong way. Especially the X-Men fiasco.

Neoxon

I wonder if the X-Men ban could be resolved in the upcoming years.

So we could play as Magneto in Injustice 3: Marvel vs DC Universe (Featuring Johnny Cage, Mileena, Kano, and Spawn)
The X-Men part of the ban was already resolved not too long ago, but the change was too late for MvCI. The main problem now is with the Fantastic Four.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

After SF5/MvC3/SFxT data mining, I assume that Capcom took extra precautions to hide stuff.

Top Bottom