• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Sony / PlayStation hardware coming soon (Asus employee say is a new handheld)

Sony have a very poor history with handhelds. What they are known for also doesnt translate well to a handheld.

Stick to making great home consoles and great games for them. This won't end well.

If it's actually just a handheld screen to stream from the PS5...lol what a useless gimmick.

Sorry... BS

The PSP was an excellent handheld with a wonderful selection of games. The PSPGo was one of the best little handheld companion devices ever made.

The Vita hardware was also great. The platform just lacked significant 3rd party Japanese developer support for whatever reason.

Core gaming handhelds live or die off 3rd Party Japanese dev support anyway. The problem Sony has is that Nintendo moneyhats everything significant in Japan on handheld.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony right now has a big chance to do great things with VR, they’ve battled with Microsoft for three straight generations just because they have AAA games doesn’t mean you can’t have more important AAA games.

Alesimage

Banned
Sony right now has a big chance to do great things with VR, they’ve battled with Microsoft for three straight generations just because they have AAA games doesn’t mean you can’t have more important AAA games.
Huh psvr2 is struggling so bad right now. They only sold like 200k units and cutting production.

BootsLoader

Banned
It will be PlayStation toilet. It will sense your but and the lid will be adaptive according to the game that you will play. That way you can play in your living room or any other room and don’t go to the toilet because playstation toilet is with you.

So no need for a handheld, so no handheld.

Rac3r

Huh psvr2 is struggling so bad right now. They only sold like 200k units and cutting production.

It's actually selling at a faster rate than PSVR1, and doing so with a smaller install base. Whether it can continue this momentum is another discussion. Upcoming games like Firewall Ultra should give it a boost through the end of the year.

It's also not available through third-party retailers yet in the US, and other regions. Once it hits Amazon, Best Buy etc, it should continue to see strong sales.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sorry... BS

The PSP was an excellent handheld with a wonderful selection of games. The PSPGo was one of the best little handheld companion devices ever made.

The Vita hardware was also great. The platform just lacked significant 3rd party Japanese developer support for whatever reason.

Core gaming handhelds live or die off 3rd Party Japanese dev support anyway. The problem Sony has is that Nintendo moneyhats everything significant in Japan on handheld.
You're kidding, right? The biggest Switch games are first party. They don't have to moneyhat anyone.

If anything they should get more third party support than they actually do..

OuterLimits

It's only dominated by Nintendo because there's literally no one but them in that space. They need competition.

Well, Sony already attempted to compete in that space and it went rather poorly for them.

Many Nintendo 1st party software titles are well suited to a portable system. The complete opposite for Sony, as was demonstrated with both the PSP and Vita. I would argue the current lineup focus by Sony would be even less suited for a portable system than a decade ago.

TLZ

Banned
Well, Sony already attempted to compete in that space and it went rather poorly for them.

Many Nintendo 1st party software titles are well suited to a portable system. The complete opposite for Sony, as was demonstrated with both the PSP and Vita. I would argue the current lineup focus by Sony would be even less suited for a portable system than a decade ago.
The PSP's almost 81 million units I definitely wouldn't call "poorly". This is a dream number for a 1st try. Companies would kill for this. It definitely made them make the Vita, but sadly they let that one die.

jcorb

I’d find a new handheld to be a little difficult to believe, but I would play the shit out of it if true.

If so, I hope Sony learned enough of a lesson that offering “lesser” versions of console games isn’t going to cut it. I think the Switch has proven shockingly capable, but honestly I would love to see a Sony handheld that focused on reviving classic franchises, just at a smaller scale.

A new Jak & Daxter, Jet Moto, maybe funding Mega Man Legends 3, a new Final Fantasy Tactics… I could see stuff like that, games with a natural smaller audience and budget, suiting a console like that well, in addition to being able to remote play your console games.

Sony have a very poor history with handhelds. What they are known for also doesnt translate well to a handheld.

Stick to making great home consoles and great games for them. This won't end well.

If it's actually just a handheld screen to stream from the PS5...lol what a useless gimmick.
Owned a PSP and the experience I had with it was amazing at the time.

So not sure where this poor history you're referring to is coming from. I was able to watch movies , listen to music and play games on the go with ease on my PSP.
Heard the Vita was an even better experience.

Last edited:
Owned a PSP and the experience I had with it was amazing at the time.

So not sure where this poor history you're referring to is coming from. I was able to watch movies , listen to music and play games on the go with ease on my PSP.
Heard the Vita was an even better experience.

What games? Lol.

It was a shitshow. By the time vita came around a smartphone was better for 90% of it's functionality.

Eimran

I don't trust Sony anymore with a handheld after PS Vita.

The main reason why it failed is because Sony dropped it like a brick.

Top Bottom