• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Sony / PlayStation hardware coming soon (Asus employee say is a new handheld)

Mr.Phoenix

I'll agree to an extent. But regardless of how you look at it, it is a a new model one way or another lol.

Slims have been a part of the console "upgrade/option" since PS2 days I believe?
Actually since PS1 days.

And I also believe this notion of a PS5 portable is a whole lotta fake news bullshit. It makes absolutely zero sense.

Actually since PS1 days.

And I also believe this notion of a PS5 portable is a whole lotta fake news bullshit. It makes absolutely zero sense.
Ahh. Didn't know PS1 had a slim. Thought it started with PS2.

Yeah idk if Sony would be making a portable machine. I think those days are past imo.

• Asus employee aware of Sony handheld secretly being worked on (no info besides that) which is why they approached Microsoft months ago due to more competition coming soon besides valve

We're believing a clown on Reddit who has a youtube channel with 397 subscribers that ASUS sat down with him and told him about a secret Sony handheld, meetings MS had with ASUS about it because they were scared for some reason, and that ASUS is going to release a handheld with a custom OS? That the price will be low because they're not including hall effect sticks lol?

Anyone who believes this is a moron.

Last edited:

Salz01

I’d be on board with another Sony handheld. Only if it let me play all my existing games. Backwards compatible with my existing ps4 library.

I would be over the moon if Sony releases a Playstation portable next with enough power to play all PS4 games. But my money is still on another new monitor that Tom is alluding to here.

kyliethicc

Playstation will announce a new Pulse 3D audio headset soon. I reckon that's it.
Henderson has already reported that (and more.)

He says Sony has the following hardware coming:

- updated PS5 with disc drive accessory, coming 2023
- PS5 Pro, coming 2024
- new wireless earbuds "nomad"
- new wireless headset "voyager" (more premium than pulse 3D)
AND
- something else that has not been reported yet

"As well as the earbuds, sources have also said that the company is developing a new wireless headset for the PlayStation 5, named Voyager, and is also aiming to be released at a similar time to Nomad. it’s understood that the Voyager headset has similar functionality to the Inzone H7 headset, but its price point is yet to be determined."

Last edited:
Henderson has already reported that (and more.)

He says Sony has the following hardware coming:

- updated PS5 with disc drive accessory, coming 2023
- PS5 Pro, coming 2024
- new wireless earbuds "nomad"
- new wireless headset "voyager" (more premium than pulse 3D)
AND
- something else that has not been reported yet

"As well as the earbuds, sources have also said that the company is developing a new wireless headset for the PlayStation 5, named Voyager, and is also aiming to be released at a similar time to Nomad. it’s understood that the Voyager headset has similar functionality to the Inzone H7 headset, but its price point is yet to be determined."

[/URL]

Thanks!

I was actually waiting to hear more about this, but given that it sounds like it'll be more premium and thus way more expensive than the current Pulse 3D headset, I think I'll just bite the bullet now and pick up the current Pulse set.

The INZONE set pricing is obscene and if this will be similar it's way beyond what I would reasonably spend on a pair of headphones.

Ahh. Didn't know PS1 had a slim. Thought it started with PS2.

Yeah idk if Sony would be making a portable machine. I think those days are past imo.
The PsOne, possibly my favorite Sony console design. It was a really late redesign of the PS1, launched after the PS2 already was on the market ( well, at least in Japan). It still managed to be in production for 6 years and be a quite successfull model.

reinking

Gold Member
I can’t wait until this rumour is over so we can stop hearing about Vita 2 fucking horseshit.
I do not believe it either but…

Mad Feeling Myself GIF by Robert E Blackmon

kyliethicc

Thanks!

I was actually waiting to hear more about this, but given that it sounds like it'll be more premium and thus way more expensive than the current Pulse 3D headset, I think I'll just bite the bullet now and pick up the current Pulse set.

The INZONE set pricing is obscene and if this will be similar it's way beyond what I would reasonably spend on a pair of headphones.
last gen they did 2 headsets too

gold was $100, platinum was $150

pulse is $100, and the inzone h7 is $200

so whatever this new headset is it will be $150 or $200

L*][*N*K

Banned
Maybe it will be a PS4Switch, they are still pushing PS4 games and knowing Sony of course they will try to take everything everyone is doing

Nautilus

Banned
If it's a handheld, it's DOA.

If it's a hybrid, it has a chance to success if:

- It plays PS5 games, even if at lower resolution/framerate/compromises.

But if it is a "PS5 hybrid", I cannot begin to imagine how expensive it would be, at that would kill any chance at being a mass market item.

I'm in Canada, and the Pulse 3D is $129, whereas the INZONE wireless H7 is $298... basically $300. The latter pricing is obscene for me. But I guess yeah, in Canada we regularly get screwed on pricing.

I would absolutely love a new PlayStation handheld especially if it's in the same vein as PSP/Vita but it seems like a weird decision in the current climate unless it's something like that Logitech handheld and focused on streaming from your PS5 in which case they already have a partner with Backbone.

I'm interested to see what comes out though. I'm very interested in the earbuds actually as I've almost completely moved away from headsets to IEMs but it depends on pricing. The INZONE line is all overpriced on both the monitor and headset end of things.

FrankWza

The had a silver wired headset as well that came with an excellent dac cable that still works for PS5. The wireless iems are definitely intriguing because the sennheiser iems with the creative adapter sound pretty good so a first party solution could really be awesome

whyman

If it's a handheld, it's DOA.

If it's a hybrid, it has a chance to success if:

- It plays PS5 games, even if at lower resolution/framerate/compromises.

But if it is a "PS5 hybrid", I cannot begin to imagine how expensive it would be, at that would kill any chance at being a mass market item.
Cheaper to manufacture and would outsell VR 3x even at 649 price point. It’s a handheld, you can probably stream to your Sony tv. It will be great.

Vita is not dead confirmed.

In addition, he confirmed that the company has NO plans to work on a successor to the laptop.

Production of the system and physical game cards in the West ended in March 2019, with Sony having NO plans for a successor.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Cheaper to manufacture and would outsell VR 3x even at 649 price point. It’s a handheld, you can probably stream to your Sony tv. It will be great.
PSVR 2 seemingly did 200k in its first month. Doing 3x that is still a horrible number.

Being a handheld, and thus a seemingly separate ecosystem, would mean that companies would need to port games to it. And no matter how easy Sony makes the porting process, money(and probably a considerable sum) would need to be spent for that to happen. And considering that Sony is already having a hard time supporting PSVR 2, on top of having to support the PS5, this supposed handheld will have the same main issue that the Vita had.

Compelling software.

Hopefully it's a handheld equivalent of the series S, with the entire PS4/PS5 library available otherwise this thing is going to follow the path of the Vita. Vita means dead.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They can't even make something that fits my desk. I wanna have some of what you're having..

Last edited:

onQ123

They can't even make something that fits my desk. I wanna have some of what you're having..
PS5 is clocked high and needed a lot of cooling but a die shrink will change all that.

A portable PS5 could be clocked really low with the games at lower resolutions

AMD has stepped up their mobile SoC as of late and you could probably quite easily make a scaled down PS5 SoC on 3nm that operates similar to how the Series S and X relate to one another. Which I think would be ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Rac3r

Sony's current mindset is to invest in areas of potential growth. It's why they supported PSVR2 over a new handheld. The Vita shrank significantly compared to the PSP, while PSVR2 is showing a higher adoption rate than PSVR1. The only reason to make a new handheld would be to help push the PS5 install-base/software sales, meaning it would need to be specced similarly to the PS5 and share the same library. I don't think the tech is there yet, but maybe Sony has found a solution. It could also be a hybrid device that plays PS4 games natively and cloud streams PS5 games (we know they're working on it). I'm not a fan of cloud streaming, so I hope it's the former and not the latter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PSP was more powerful then PS2
Eh… not quite, it was a really cool design (Allegrex VFPU was a very smart forward looking design, but it was still slower than the VU0+VU1 combined), but even considering the resolution difference it had several bottlenecks (much lower eDRAM bandwidth on the GPU, lower FP throughout in the CPU, fixed function T&L engine often had to be skipped and replaced by software solutions running on Allegrex, the Media Engine was Uber powerful but still had quite a heavy CPU overhead for media playback) and coupled with most titles shipping with lower than max clocks the problem was further exacerbated.

With that said what hurt it the most was lack of a second analog stick, secondary shoulder buttons, and memory stick cards (in that order) as it could have even more software ported to it if it were able to give devs less trouble with the control scheme.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You're jumping to a whole bunch of conclusions, and nothing you've posted addresses the issues that the previous handheld console faces

- There is no "Large viable portable Market". The handheld market for dedicated game systems has shrunk enormously. The 3DS sold less than 50% of what the DS sold. The PSV sold less than 10% of what the PSP sold.
- How does that add any value? Most of the target audience already has a PS5. It being a hybrid isn't going to add any appeal. A hybrid system works when its the only system you release. Not when you already have a dedicated home system.
- What exclusives are you talking about? You mean old PS4 games? Nobody is going to buy a handheld system just to buy the same games again they already purchased for their PS4. Are you talking about PS5 games? No way are they easily ported to a handheld system.

And none of this addresses the most important part: Sony doesn't have enough developers to supply a handheld system AND a home system with a decent amount of games. That's part of the reason Nintendo went with the Switch model in the first place.

Of course there is, switch is enormously successful and it's a handheld. You can pretend it's a console but if you take away it's portability it sells 10 million vs 100 million. 3DS and DS numbers aren't relevant to today's market.

What? What do you mean being a hybrid doesn't have value? It's literally one of the biggest reasons switch did so well out of the gate, the idea that you were getting a console and a handheld. (and still does)
Your going to sit there an pretend that a Sony handheld wouldn't have any extra value if it easily hooked to a TV? So nobody wants their console to be easily moved? Or used on a secondary TV?
To say nothing of the people on the street that care more about playing sony games than getting the best graphics? Perhaps they would like a console that they can play on the TV sometimes. To say it has no value is ridiculous.

Yes, talking about PS5 games, and yes, easily ported to a handheld with very similar architecture and scaled down to a lower resolution. No different than Series S from Series X.

As to Sony not having developers, it's no different than xbox and series S, it wouldn't stop anyone from making PS5 games. The game is different now, the reason Nintendo went away from 2 systems was when they had drastically different architecture and yes, it would split the user base.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I know what a closed platform is my dude. Yes, it's a lot easier to optimize for a specific set hardware unlike PCs that have so many variables.

Your post literally came in and said "look at PC minimim requirements kekw" you came in with a passive aggressive attitude.

The game on minimum requirements would be running at 720p and 30 fps according to many articles. I really highly highly doubt a developer would want to waste their time/money and try to get a product do whatever they can at to make it just run for the sake of running.

You want to play the game at 540p 10 fps? Yes....very playable. I highly doubt that even hyperfocusing on optimizing it that it would work. Also, the whole point of TLOU Part 1 was to max it as beautiful and as silky smooth as possible.

If you are so smart and you know pretty much everything about closed and open platforms - why don't you fill out a job application for Naughty Dog and show them how it's done? Oh, if you haven't noticed, this was the shittiest port Sony has ever released. It's horrible lol, have you not read the complaints or the optimization issues? It's a really shit port and now they are wasting their time trying to fix it because Naughty Dog has absolutely no clue how to optimize for an open platform.

This is pretty much disproven already. The steam deck is running the game (poorly) right now, and the next portables already announced have double the power of the steam deck.
As to the bad port, that's not the issue at hand, it's a one of and most of their (Sony) ports have been fine. One bad company/port doesn't mean it can't be done.
The bottom line of the point was that a PlayStation portable could handle a properly executed PS5 game port.

Rykan

Of course there is, switch is enormously successful and it's a handheld. You can pretend it's a console but if you take away it's portability it sells 10 million vs 100 million. 3DS and DS numbers aren't relevant to today's market.
It is not "just' a handheld. It is a hybrid console, and that distinction is important to make because a hypothetical Playstation Handheld , even if it was a hybrid console, is primarily going to have to appeal as a handheld device for reasons I will explain in just a bit.
What? What do you mean being a hybrid doesn't have value? It's literally one of the biggest reasons switch did so well out of the gate, the idea that you were getting a console and a handheld. (and still does)
Your going to sit there an pretend that a Sony handheld wouldn't have any extra value if it easily hooked to a TV? So nobody wants their console to be easily moved? Or used on a secondary TV?
To say nothing of the people on the street that care more about playing sony games than getting the best graphics? Perhaps they would like a console that they can play on the TV sometimes. To say it has no value is ridiculous.
Making it a hybrid is not going to increase its appeal for a variety of reasons, and I'll explain why this is different for the Switch.

The Switch's hybrid nature is indeed part of its success. You're getting a home console and a handheld system for the price of one. But this also means that different audiences are rolled into one product. No matter if you want to play your Nintendo games on your TV, Handheld or a combination of the two: You have to get a Nintendo Switch. Nintendo is currently not supporting any other products besides the Switch.

Here is where that differs from a hypothetical PSP2: The Playstation 5 exists. A large portion of your potential audience is going to be Playstation fans who, more likely than not, already own a Playstation 5. If you already own the Playstation 5, then the hybrid nature doesn't benefit you at all. Even if you could hook up your PSP2 to a TV, why would you do that if you can just play those games on a much more powerful Playstation 5 instead?

So the only benefit you have is being able to play the games you already have access to on the go, and asking people to spend another 300$ ~ 500$ to do just that is a really hard sell. Especially since you're now also entering a market that is dominated by Nintendo: Just because the Switch is successful, doesn't mean a hybrid PSP2 would be too.
Yes, talking about PS5 games, and yes, easily ported to a handheld with very similar architecture and scaled down to a lower resolution. No different than Series S from Series X.

As to Sony not having developers, it's no different than xbox and series S, it wouldn't stop anyone from making PS5 games. The game is different now, the reason Nintendo went away from 2 systems was when they had drastically different architecture and yes, it would split the user base.
Sorry, but that's just not how any of this works. Your argument seems to be based on the misconception that "similar architecture" is some kind of secret sauce. You can't just cram the hardware specs of a system similar to the Series S into a handheld device. It would require a giant device and the battery would only last for an hour, not to mention the exorbitant price of the system. This is neither feasible nor realistic.

If a PSP2 is going to happen, it's most likely going to be a cloud/streaming device, as it would be much cheaper to produce.

Last edited:
This is pretty much disproven already. The steam deck is running the game (poorly) right now, and the next portables already announced have double the power of the steam deck.
As to the bad port, that's not the issue at hand, it's a one of and most of their (Sony) ports have been fine. One bad company/port doesn't mean it can't be done.
The bottom line of the point was that a PlayStation portable could handle a properly executed PS5 game port.
Ok so we're moving goal posts now. You went from talking about how TLOU Part 1 is able to run on a base PS4 too a possible PlayStation Handheld that can handle a PS5 game? Sorry, I can't take what you say seriously anymore. I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt, but it won't work. I am done with this discussion my friend.

Last edited:
Sony have a very poor history with handhelds. What they are known for also doesnt translate well to a handheld.

Stick to making great home consoles and great games for them. This won't end well.

If it's actually just a handheld screen to stream from the PS5...lol what a useless gimmick.

Last edited:

saintjules

Sony have a very poor history with handhelds. What they are known for also doesnt translate well to a handheld.

Stick to making great home consoles and great games for them. This won't end well.

If it's actually just a handheld screen to stream from the PS5...lol what a useless gimmick.

I agree. I've only ever been interested in handhelds during the days of Gameboy and Game Gear. Can care less now.

I occasionally played around with the switch not docked, but I'm all about flat screen gaming with the now dash of PSVR2.

EDMIX

It's only dominated by Nintendo because there's literally no one but them in that space. They need competition.

Maybe, but mobile is still in that space.... so even Nintendo isn't dominating like they used to based on phones, so everyone will be seeing waaaaaaaaaay less units moved then generations prior regarding handheld.

I do agree though that the competition would be great and maybe Sony has plans to buy Capcom or Square or something to justify some portable system cause without a Monster Hunter or massive RPG or huge Japanese IP on there, I don't see another PSP doing well. So I'd love to see what they have up their sleeves.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Kdad

I don't trust SONY with anything that is not their core console (ie supporting EyeToy, PS Eye, VR, Vita esp Vita TV...). PSP was successful despite SONY, selling around 80 million units. I think they'd be happy with repeating that if they could.

Top Bottom