• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Sony / PlayStation hardware coming soon (Asus employee say is a new handheld)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
dude... you need to stop taking everything someone says so literal. It is the closest thing we have right now to a PS5 handheld is what my points was. Yes, we all know its a much weaker machine, that's not a secret. This whole thing is about wanting to play PS5/PS4 titles on a mobile device and my point is that Steam Deck allows you to do that to a certain extent regardless of the specs.

Yeah, but it's nowhere near a handheld PS5 just because it can run cross-gen (i.e. PS4) games and a few that could have been cross-gen but aren't. Once Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Santa Monica or Sucker Punch make their first proper PS5 exclusives, the Deck will have no chance at running them.

Yeah, but it's nowhere near a handheld PS5 just because it can run cross-gen (i.e. PS4) games and a few that could have been cross-gen but aren't. Once Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Santa Monica or Sucker Punch make their first proper PS5 exclusives, the Deck will have no chance at running them.
TLOU Part 1 would never be able to be cross-gen and neither is Returnal with all the stuff going on the screen. Naughty Dog made TLOU Part 1 for the PS5 from the ground-up.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Nervous Cat GIF by sheepfilms

RoadHazard

Gold Member
TLOU Part 1 would never be able to be cross-gen and neither is Returnal with all the stuff going on the screen. Naughty Dog made TLOU Part 1 for the PS5 from the ground-up.

Returnal is debatable (although I think they wouldn't have wanted to make a PS4 version running at 30fps).

Regarding TLOU1 I don't agree at all. Again, it looks very similar to TLOU2 visually, and is a simpler game. There are telltale signs that it was made using the TLOU2 PS4 code as its foundation (stuff like long load times etc) rather than built for the PS5 from the ground up. Their first proper PS5 exclusive will blow it out of the water.

Returnal is debatable (although I think they wouldn't have wanted to make a PS4 version running at 30fps).

Regarding TLOU1 I don't agree at all. Again, it looks very similar to TLOU2 visually, and is a simpler game. There are telltale signs that it was made using the TLOU2 PS4 code as its foundation (stuff like long load times etc) rather than built for the PS5 from the ground up.Their first proper PS5 exclusive will blow it out of the water.

Straight from the PSN store/horses mouth. I don't know how else to tell you that. Source - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/g...n September,updated PS5 engine and technology.

Rebuilt for the PlayStation 5
Completely rebuilt from the ground up using Naughty Dog’s latest PS5™ engine technology with advanced visual fidelity, fully integrated DualSense™ wireless controller features and more.

I highly doubt TLOU 3 will use a completely new engine, it will most likely build upon it. As for new IP I have no clue what they will be using.
5dG0lAk.jpg

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Have you missed every one of his Ubisoft leaks for the past 1-2 years that then were proven true on consistent basis? He doesn't predict, he leaks.
He obviously knows stuff, I mean he did that whole frame by frame BF2042 leak thing a while back. That was at least fun. I remember downloading all the frames and trying to arrange them to make a moving image.

This is just him going "Maybe I know something you don't know .. but... maybe maybe not? hehehehehehehehee.... err... wait I'll tell you... ooooo... wait no maybe not... thehehehehehehe"

It's irritating. If you have it bloody leak it (completely or in a fun way) or stfu.

demigod

Yeah I’m praying for a ps5 portable, a weaker version/settings like how Valve did with Steam Deck. Will probably cost a lot though. PS Vita not having game support is what killed it.

DrFigs

He obviously knows stuff, I mean he did that whole frame by frame BF2042 leak thing a while back. That was at least fun. I remember downloading all the frames and trying to arrange them to make a moving image.

This is just him going "Maybe I know something you don't know .. but... maybe maybe not? hehehehehehehehee.... err... wait I'll tell you... ooooo... wait no maybe not... thehehehehehehe"

It's irritating. If you have it bloody leak it (completely or in a fun way) or stfu.
agreed. half-leaking something is lame and can only lead to disappointment.

Apocryphon

Switch has been incredibly successful for Nintendo and Steam Deck has been a relative success for Valve. Spider-Man and God of War run really well on Steam Deck, but being able to play Ratchet & Clank, Demons Souls, and get better performance in TLOU1 and Returnal on a handheld would be perfect for me.

It’s unlikely, but if it could run many of the same games as the PS5 it would perform better than the Vita did.

more like...

PS5 - 2020
PS5 Slim/Detachable Drive - 2023
PS5 Pro - 2025
PS6 - 2029

Whatever else they're making is either a 2024 or a 2026 slot.
If a Pro happens they will not wait until 2025. It will be by the end of 2024 or it doesn't happen at all. PS6 is coming before 2029.

Last edited:
If a Pro happens they will not wait until 2025. It will be by the end of 2024 or it doesn't happen at all. PS6 is coming before 2029.
Possible. I believe Tom Henderson or someone else "confirmed" PS6 is coming AFTER 2027. So that leaves 2028 to 2030 release windows. 2028 probably sounds like the safest bet, that would be 8 years already after PS5 in 2020. 9 would be pushing it, then again Covid did setback the world quite a bit so I could see a 2029 release date at the latest.

Last edited:

murmulis

A portable with the ability to run PS4 games would be awesome but I’m not sure it would be possible to produce one that’s energy efficient enough to have a decent battery life at a reasonable price point but I’m happy to be proven wrong.
Steam Deck exists already.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
there will absolutely be a Pro.
they will most likely promote it as the raytracing console, having RT patches for it ready for launch in games that previously didn't have RT, and patches that make previously 30fps locked RT modes run at 60fps

Unreal engine 5 games could be marketed with using hardware lumen on Pro vs software lumen on the base PS5.

and Microsoft will do a similar upgrade, maybe leaning even more into RT with pathtraced Minecraft finally releasing on it.
No there won’t be. Pro has nothing to offer. At least I hope there won’t be. Devs and we don’t need another sku to make base games worse. We need more focused dev by dropping ps4.
There are no easy wins like with pro last time. You can’t upgrade anything not to skyrocket the price and power usage.
You need concrete features for pronto exist. Not 20% more rt power nobody cares about

Last edited:

reksveks

Software support on a rumoured PS Handheld seems like the most interesting thing to talk about. I sadly think Native Support for PS5 games is going to be unlikely because getting the publishers devs to update released games is going to be a pain.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Software support on a rumoured PS Handheld seems like the most interesting thing to talk about. I sadly think Native Support for PS5 games is going to be unlikely because getting the publishers devs to update released games is going to be a pain.

Not really any harder than xbox for series S and most games are being built for multiple specs already anyhow. And keep in mind the 3-4 tf only has to run them at a 1/4 of the resolution, it's not that difficult or time consuming.

reksveks

Not really any harder than xbox for series S and most games are being built for multiple specs already anyhow. And keep in mind the 3-4 tf only has to run them at a 1/4 of the resolution, it's not that difficult or time consuming.
The difference is that series s was there from the start of the gen so you ain't forcing devs to go back to support a new hardware config.

Admittedly there is very few ps5 only games so there isn't many games that would require reworking yet but it will still impact games in the pipeline.

Cross-gens could in theory fall back to the ps4 sku but I think there will be other games which will cause issues.

The other big assumption I think we are doing is that it has cross-buy.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

The difference is that series s was there from the start of the gen so you ain't forcing devs to go back to support a new hardware config.

Admittedly there is very few ps5 only games so there isn't many games that would require reworking yet but it will still impact games in the pipeline.

Cross-gens could in theory fall back to the ps4 sku but I think there will be other games which will cause issues.

The other big assumption I think we are doing is that it has cross-buy.

That's true they do have to go back bit the extra sales would be a carrot. I think a cross buy would be a must (or at least a $10 charge).

If a PlayStation portable launched this fall with full ps4 compatibility and gt7/gow/ratchet/horizon and the promise of all upcoming sony games it's already on track to do well. Third parties woukd have little issue with supporting another basic amd config.

Keep in mind there's a whole giant audience out there that doesn't own a ps5 that might consider this instead. (Primary interest being portability and sony games with hybrid capability as the bonus carrot)

Banned
No there won’t be. Pro has nothing to offer. At least I hope there won’t be. Devs and we don’t need another sku to make base games worse. We need more focused dev by dropping ps4.
There are no easy wins like with pro last time. You can’t upgrade anything not to skyrocket the price and power usage.
You need concrete features for pronto exist. Not 20% more rt power nobody cares about

if the focus is raytracing quality then adding another system wouldn't be much work.
set resolutions higher, run games at higher framerates, crank up rt quality.

you can simply make a base PS5 game and then just make it run better and add raytracing to the Pro version/make the raytracing mode run at 60fps.

as for how the hardware will improve to make it viable, well thats pure speculation. RDNA4 could be a revolution, or it could be another small upgrade, who knows?

The pc minimum specs say you are mistaken.
Actually, the one who's mistaken is you and here is why.

Do some more research please before you post silly things.

The Last of Us Part 1 Minimum PC Requirements
Performance Goals: 30 FPS @ 720p, Low preset settings
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X/ Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU: AMD Radeon 470 (4GB)/ Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (4GB)/ Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti (4GB)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 100GB SSD

Base PS4 graphics/GPU is essentially equivalent to the Radeon 7850. It’s got a couple of lower-powered compute units. However, it has a higher speed to match the PS4’s ~1.8 TFLOPS. (Source - https://webnews21.com/what-nvidia-desktop-gpu-is-equivalent-to-ps4-gpu/ )

What CPU is the PS4 equivalent to?

The PS4 uses an AMD based system around a CPU that is similar to a weaker FX 8120, which is FAR slower than any intel i7. A i7 920, the first generation i7, would still be quite a bit faster, and a more recent 4790k would be in the vicinity of around 200% faster.

Good luck running TLOU Part 1 on Radeon 7850. 7850 is essentially a Nvidia 660 equivalent. Meanwhile, minimum requirement is a 970.

Last edited:

Banned

GPU: AMD Radeon 470 (4GB)/ Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (4GB)/ Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti (4GB)

Base PS4 graphics/GPU is essentially equivalent to the Radeon 7850. It’s got a couple of lower-powered compute units. However, it has a higher speed to match the PS4’s ~1.8 TFLOPS. (Source - https://webnews21.com/what-nvidia-desktop-gpu-is-equivalent-to-ps4-gpu/ )

The PS4 uses an AMD based system around a CPU that is similar to a weaker FX 8120, which is FAR slower than any intel i7. A i7 920, the first generation i7, would still be quite a bit faster, and a more recent 4790k would be in the vicinity of around 200% faster.

Good luck running TLOU Part 1 on Radeon 7850. 7850 is essentially a Nvidia 660 equivalent. Meanwhile, minimum requirement is a 970.

TLOU runs like shit on PCs that are more powerful than the PS5.
how do you expect the PC requirements to be reflecrive of how viable a PS4 version is?

RE4 Remake has literally the same minimum specs my dude... in fact Capcom recommends a higher end Intel CPU than Naughty Dog, but the same GPU and a lower AMD CPU...
which should be telling that PC requirements have no real correlation with how well it would work on any given console.

also, both games run on the Steam Deck, which has a lower power GPU than the PS4

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It's clear you don't understand the idea of a closed platform and the advantages it has.
The ps4 could have run it. At 4k? No.
Reduced frame rate? Sure.
To say it would have been impossible on ps4 is just wrong. Maybe understand the architecture before you post silly things.

Last edited:

Rykan

Lol, it has tons of reasons to succeed that your simply ignoring:

- a large viable portable market
- would be a hybrid like the switch
- tons of easily ported aaa exclusive titles that can easily be made due to similar architecture
- much easier for 3rd party support/ports
- cheaper storage

All of the above is nothing like the uphill battle the Vita faced.
A tablet makes zero sense.
You're jumping to a whole bunch of conclusions, and nothing you've posted addresses the issues that the previous handheld console faces

- There is no "Large viable portable Market". The handheld market for dedicated game systems has shrunk enormously. The 3DS sold less than 50% of what the DS sold. The PSV sold less than 10% of what the PSP sold.
- How does that add any value? Most of the target audience already has a PS5. It being a hybrid isn't going to add any appeal. A hybrid system works when its the only system you release. Not when you already have a dedicated home system.
- What exclusives are you talking about? You mean old PS4 games? Nobody is going to buy a handheld system just to buy the same games again they already purchased for their PS4. Are you talking about PS5 games? No way are they easily ported to a handheld system.

And none of this addresses the most important part: Sony doesn't have enough developers to supply a handheld system AND a home system with a decent amount of games. That's part of the reason Nintendo went with the Switch model in the first place.

TrebleShot

Quite amazed Sony would be interested in a handheld, not sure what it would offer.
Steam Deck essentially means you can play any PC game on it as long as its lowest/medium setting will run.

But PS5 games dont have a min/medium setting unless we are talking about a PS4 version of a game which i seriously doubt.

Whats more is it would force lower settings into PS5 games and require more options within games like you have on PC.

Im not buying this at all unless of course its some kind of deluxe remote play device.

I think its most likely a set of peripherals or something.

Secondly, it could be a "cut down" version of PS5, that is, a console with inferior hardware and a lower price that would compete with Xbox Series S.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Anybody fancy posting a "video games suck, gamers are full of shite and xbox and PS5 are for pussies" thread or threads for the shits and giggles?

SkylineRKR

I doubt we will see a Pro revision.

There is no 4K TV push going on. The PS4 and One came out when 1080p had been the standard for quite some time and actually fading out of the consumer market. There was already a 4K push going on by 2015. I firmly believe the sole reason of this mid-gen release was this push, with pretty much no retailer offering 1080p sets by 2015 anymore. The PS4 and One didn't compliment those sets that started to become widely adopted.

I wonder what a Pro revision could do. Perhaps 120hz at a higher resolution? RT at a slightly higher res or at 60fps instead of 30? it sounds like a waste to me.

Their $400 and $500 options are eating the often below $300 S for lunch, no need for a gimp model to play in lowballer land imo.
Ps5 price has been raised with 50 bucks and its eating the Xbox for lunch.

Quite amazed Sony would be interested in a handheld, not sure what it would offer.
As others have pointed out, assuming that
a) Sony can't in their right mind spend the resources to support a second device completely detached from the PS5 ecosystem
b) There is a viable, if niche market for gaming handhelds

it can be speculated this device, if real, will embrace
a) backwards compatibility with legacy systems
b) deep integration into existing live services
c) streaming technology in different forms (local, cloud)

I personally don't think the above is enough to make a compelling product pitch. I'd be surprised if Sony released another handheld.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

• Asus employee aware of Sony handheld secretly being worked on (no info besides that) which is why they approached Microsoft months ago due to more competition coming soon besides valve

Seems Tom is becoming very reliable when it comes to PS hardware

While he didn't say a portable he has been pretty clear he was talking about something no one else has reported on (or even talking about)

He nailed the Edge Pro controller long before anyone else as well

If Sony does bring this detachable disk drive like he has been saying then its time to start giving this guy a lot more credit imo

I wouldnt consider this to be a noteworthy event (given they always release slims as technology allows, albeit new in terms of optional optical drive).
I'll agree to an extent. But regardless of how you look at it, it is a a new model one way or another lol.

Slims have been a part of the console "upgrade/option" since PS2 days I believe?

Last edited:
It's clear you don't understand the idea of a closed platform and the advantages it has.
The ps4 could have run it. At 4k? No.
Reduced frame rate? Sure.
To say it would have been impossible on ps4 is just wrong. Maybe understand the architecture before you post silly things.
I know what a closed platform is my dude. Yes, it's a lot easier to optimize for a specific set hardware unlike PCs that have so many variables.

Your post literally came in and said "look at PC minimim requirements kekw" you came in with a passive aggressive attitude.

The game on minimum requirements would be running at 720p and 30 fps according to many articles. I really highly highly doubt a developer would want to waste their time/money and try to get a product do whatever they can at to make it just run for the sake of running.

You want to play the game at 540p 10 fps? Yes....very playable. I highly doubt that even hyperfocusing on optimizing it that it would work. Also, the whole point of TLOU Part 1 was to max it as beautiful and as silky smooth as possible.

If you are so smart and you know pretty much everything about closed and open platforms - why don't you fill out a job application for Naughty Dog and show them how it's done? Oh, if you haven't noticed, this was the shittiest port Sony has ever released. It's horrible lol, have you not read the complaints or the optimization issues? It's a really shit port and now they are wasting their time trying to fix it because Naughty Dog has absolutely no clue how to optimize for an open platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom