• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

nib95 said:
Not to turn this in to a comparison thread, but having just completed Gears 3 and now playing through U2, I have to completely disagree. First of all, I find the controls and cover system a lot more fluid in U2. I dislike that A controls everything in Gears, as it leads to so many accidental wall clings instead of runs and vice versa. Secondly, the actual aiming reticule speed and accuracy is better in U2 as well. It seems to flow better whereas in gears it's a bit slower and more cumbersome (higher sensitivity would probably help). Also, Uncharted has more diverse battle arena's imo. More vertical or expansive gun battles where enemies can literally come from any direction, and because they climb ladders, jump around etc, there's an element of platforming involved that gives arena's more tension and added tactical consideration. Also allows AI to flex a bit better. Heck, even the cover system is more expansive, as an example, that amazing segment in Nepal where you have to use the advertising signs you've climbed on to as cover, but switch around by hoping over or jumping to the different signs, facing different directions depending on where the enemy is coming from. You don't have near this sort of diversity of breadth of gunplay options in Gears.

One area I think Gears excels is weapon sounds and certain weapon hit detection feedback. The spray of blood, popping/exploding heads etc, all makes for more satisfying shooting or killing with certain weapons over Uncharted. Uncharted, whilst better in control and fluidity is not as good with tactility, feedback and extremity.

But I'd say it's far from dull in comparison. It's still crazy fun, just not as impactful. Though U3 seems to have upped the ante a bit, since even the weapons sound a lot more dangerous. Having said all that, Killzone 2/3 is still the king of gunplay and weapon feedback for me, with respect to weapon animations, reloads etc and to the enemies being hit. Hit detection animations along with the sound effects, post processing effects, visuals et all, seriously satisfying stuff.

For me the appeal of UC2 was pretty simple. While it certainly wasn't the genre leader in Shooting mechanics, platforming, story, or puzzles, they were all paced well, and implemented through great set pieces that the game was far greater than the sum of its parts. While other games like Gears are fantastic (I really enjoy the enemy variety), they have far less gameplay elements throughout the course of the campaign. Uncharted really excels by very good but simple mechanics that are used in smart ways.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Shameless said:
I think Uncharted has an identity crisis. It's not a puzzle game, it's not about exploring or adventuring as its completely linear with no branching paths, it's distinctly average as a shooter compared to other games in the genre, it's not a platformer as every time you jump you're latched onto the next ledge as long as you jumped in vaguely the correct directon, which results in some ridiculous horizontal teleport jumping, most of the weapons are dull and unsatisfying to use..

But it leads the way in graphics and providing a cinematic experience. Somehow this causes gamers to overlook all its flaws.
Not only it is better than average on everything you mentioned, but it is the only game I have ever played that succeeds in merging all these points into a spectacular alchemy, making it the most impressive game to play. I'm 100% sure you haven't played Uncharted 2, it's so close to perfection mentioning "all its flaws" is laughable.

nib95

Banned
Shameless said:
I think Uncharted has an identity crisis. It's not a puzzle game, it's not about exploring or adventuring as its completely linear with no branching paths, it's distinctly average as a shooter compared to other games in the genre, it's not a platformer as every time you jump you're latched onto the next ledge as long as you jumped in vaguely the correct directon, which results in some ridiculous horizontal teleport jumping, most of the weapons are dull and unsatisfying to use..

But it leads the way in graphics and providing a cinematic experience. Somehow this causes gamers to overlook all its flaws.

No identity crisis at all. It's basically a modernised version of Indiana Jones. You have an everyman charming treasure hunter, globe trotting around, initially searching for lost treasure and then ultimately fighting an evil force, potentially saving the world. There's action, tension, emotion, romance, spectacles, epic set pieces, humour, puzzles, villains etc etc. All the key ingredients necessary for this genre of game and narrative.

It's literally the perfect balance of these ingredients coming together to make the most successful variant of the genre currently available.

Loudninja

I think the Uncharted games combat is fantastic.Rolling, jumping, running mechanics works well for the gunplay.

The game puts you in crazy situations that makes Uncharted game play one of a kind.

Man

RohdeScott Scott Rohde Twitter
Playing through #Uncharted3 just to "make sure" it's great. ;) Best ever @Naughty_Dog game? Absolutely! #ToughJobButSomebodyHastaDoIt

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Shameless said:

1. I'll give you the puzzle argument (though this has been said to likely be remedied in UC3
2. how is linearity in this kind of cinematic experience a flaw? most games in this genre are linear as well (third person action games)
3. you're right, its not a platformer but its not trying to be. it contains platforming elements that help break up the combat. the cohesiveness and execution of these elements within in the context of the game works perfectly.
4. this is another common argument which i find silly. all weapons are greatly varied from the recoil heavy ak to the precision of the g-mal and in between. not only that but the hand-hand combat is superb and has been so since the first outting. in fact since UC1 they've greatly improved that system.

if you have a problem with the series thats fine but don't push your opinions of the franchise being mediocre as facts when according to critical acclaim and the mass majority of gamers your opinion is in the minority.

darkwing

nib95 said:
No identity crisis at all. It's basically a modernised version of Indiana Jones. You have an everyman charming treasure hunter, globe trotting around, initially searching for lost treasure and then ultimately fighting an evil force, potentially saving the world. There's action, tension, emotion, romance, spectacles, epic set pieces, humour, puzzles, villains etc etc. All the key ingredients necessary for this genre of game and narrative.

It's literally the perfect balance of these ingredients coming together to make the most successful variant of the genre currently available.

this quote should be on the back cover

Ricky_R

nib95 said:

Pre-ordered again

rhino4evr

nib95 said:

This this this this

Shameless

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Not only it is better than average on everything you mentioned, but it is the only game I have ever played that succeeds in merging all these points into a spectacular alchemy, making it the most impressive game to play. I'm 100% sure you haven't played Uncharted 2, it's so close to perfection mentioning "all its flaws" is laughable.

I have played and completed both games.

EloquentM said:
1. I'll give you the puzzle argument (though this has been said to likely be remedied in UC3
2. how is linearity in this kind of cinematic experience a flaw? most games in this genre are linear as well (third person action games)
3. you're right, its not a platformer but its not trying to be. it contains platforming elements that help break up the combat. the cohesiveness and execution of these elements within in the context of the game works perfectly.
4. this is another common argument which i find silly. all weapons are greatly varied from the recoil heavy ak to the precision of the g-mal and in between. not only that but the hand-hand combat is superb and has been so since the first outting. in fact since UC1 they've greatly improved that system.

if you have a problem with the series thats fine but don't push your opinions of the franchise being mediocre as facts when according to critical acclaim and the mass majority of gamers your opinion is in the minority.

I think Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space 2 are good examples of games which have better shooting mechanics. Dead Space has excellent guns, with alternate fire modes, RE4 has excellent boss fights and set piece moments (which are not just scripted 'run away from this car'/'look at dem graphics'). As I got further through Uncharted 2 I began to dread having to do another identical shooting section, killing the same boring bullet sponge enemy types, with no interesting ways to kill them and no interesting guns to do it with. Just the way I feel bro. Towards the end of both games, unloading 4 clips into the zombies/shangri-la blue dudes was unbearable.

Rengoku

Shameless said:
I think Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space 2 are good examples of games which have better shooting mechanics. Dead Space has excellent guns, with alternate fire modes, RE4 has excellent boss fights and set piece moments (which are not just scripted 'run away from this car'/'look at dem graphics'). As I got further through Uncharted 2 I began to dread having to do another identical shooting section, killing the same boring bullet sponge enemy types, with no interesting ways to kill them and no interesting guns to do it with. Just the way I feel bro. Towards the end of both games, unloading 4 clips into the zombies/shangri-la blue dudes was unbearable.

You're not supposed to be unloading clips into the shangri-la blue dudes, once you pick up the gold crossbow, they're one shot kills.

thuway

Shameless said:
I have played and completed both games.

I think Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space 2 are good examples of games which have better shooting mechanics. Dead Space has excellent guns, with alternate fire modes, RE4 has excellent boss fights and set piece moments. As I got further through Uncharted 2 I began to dread having to do another identical shooting section, killing the same boring bullet sponge enemy types, with no interesting ways to kill them and no interesting guns to do it with. Just the way I feel bro. Towards the end of both games, unloading 4 clips into the zombies/shangri-la blue dudes was unbearable.

Resident Evil 4's tank controls are horrific.
Dead Space is slow as molasses.

On the topic of bullet sponges and set pieces, Dead Space was terrible about boring, repetitive, fetch-quest gameplay to artificially increase completion hours.

My experience is the total opposite of yours. I love the gunplay of Uncharted 2. It was fast, fluid, and tactical.

Rainy Dog

Shameless said:
I think Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space 2 are good examples of games which have better shooting mechanics.

Now, as much as I rate those two games for what they are, to say either of them have better shooting mechanics than the Uncharted series is just getting desperate.

Pranay

darkwing said:
how many did UC2 had? i forgot
Uncharted 2 was made up of twenty-six chapters.

The last few chapters of Uncharted 3 are apparently very long.

We’ve heard conflicting reports on how long the campaign will last. Originally, we thought that it would take about eight to nine hours to complete. Then Playmania indicated that the single-player mode would offer ten hours of gameplay. OPM Spain’s review, which arrived today, says that the single-player mode will last ten to twelve hours.
]

thuway

Rengoku said:
You're not supposed to be unloading clips into the shangri-la blue dudes, once you pick up the gold crossbow, they're one shot kills.

Shhhhhh....... lets watch him dig his own grave.

Ricky_R

Rengoku said:

I remember it being 2 shots, but yeah... Quick kills with the crossbow

I thought the shangrai-La blue dudes were a throwback to the bullet sponge enemies from UC1. Who knew t-shirt wearing pirates could take so many shots?

Jb

Shameless said:
Imo, what makes UC2's gunplay enjoyable isn't so much the guns or enemies you're facing, but how dynamic the fights are: you rush to cover, take out a dude, vault over while blindfiring, throw a grenade in the mix, finish off the remaining bad guys with your fists... very reminescent in a way of Infamous where mobility is the key to success in combat.

That said, I can totally see how this might not be enough for some to maintain their interest throughout the entire campaign.

nib95

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
I thought the shangrai-La blue dudes were a throwback to the bullet sponge enemies from UC1. Who knew t-shirt wearing pirates could take so many shots?

Headshots ftw. I do agree though, some of those guys did take too many shots, unless of course you just aimed for the head. Then it was a straight instant kill.

Hyuga

Banned
Pranay_ said:
Some one released a desert screenshot [camera ]
http://www.gamereactor.se/media/forum/se/6757449_29.jpg

Holyshit
x0xpxf.gif

Luthos

Now people are saying RE4 and DS2 have better shoot mechanics?

Why is that the thing people attack on Uncharted? I think it's shooting mechanics are some of the best in the third person shooter genre. So smooth. Doesn't do anything original, but how many games do?

And I say that having loved Dead Space 2.

Shameless

Banned
thuway said:
Resident Evil 4's tank controls are horrific.
Dead Space is slow as molasses.

On the topic of bullet sponges and set pieces, Dead Space was terrible about boring, repetitive, fetch-quest gameplay to artificially increase completion hours.

My experience is the totaly opposite of yours. I love the gunplay of Uncharted 2. It was fast, fluid, and tactical.

Well, those games are survival horrors and we all know bad controls = tense moments.

Meh, I'm starting to realise that there aren't that many good true TPS's to compare Uncharted with, I'm not that much of a fan of Gears tbh. I just want Uncharted to be better as a game than it is. If it had some real platforming and adventuring, something like Metroid Prime mixed in with a more exciting shooting system with a lot more enemy variety and meatier more satisfying weapons, I'll be happy.

I hate Resident Evils stand still shooting mechanics, Dead Space 2 was a little too slow as well but it made sense for the type of game it was. Uncharted is just the speed and fluidity I'm looking for in a third person game.

J-Rzez

Uncharted has it's identity, it's a summer blockbuster Indiana Jones experience. It does puzzles well enough, it has enough platforming to make it satisfying, it's firefights are intense, the brawling is a fun alternative at times, it's acting/story telling is unmatched, and it's visuals are the gold standard for console games. It does everything "good" to "top of the line", and has no real "poor" qualities. That's why Uncharted 2 won what maybe the most awards any game ever has by the players, reviewers, and developers themselves. It's an example of the quality expected out of an AAA game. And Uncharted 3 I'm sure is about to raise the bar higher yet again.

Can't believe how incredible it looks, and can't wait to be playing that sucker in 3D which is "shock", supposedly the best implementation of it in anything to date.

daakusedo

nib95 said:

Well, about identity crisis, I still can't believe this serie is not about adventure and exploration. I remember seeing a gameplay video of the jungle from the first one with no info about the game, I was just thinking about a big jungle to explore and that looked kinda cool.
So that's no surprise people are happy about more exploring in the third even if it's surely not a dramatic change.

Wow even more footage, with Uncharted 2 they only showed the building, carrying Jeff
after he got shot
and if I remember correctly the train level was only seen from off screen cams. With this they're showing clips of so much before the release date.

upJTboogie said:
Wow even more footage, with Uncharted 2 they only showed the building, carrying Jeff
after he got shot
and if I remember correctly the train level was only seen from off screen cams. With this they're showing clips of so much before the release date.

But it's not really that much footage.

My guess is that the real Atlantis of the Sands has not been seen anywhere, or among other things, Eliza dying, Chloe taking her place, etc.

I hope

upJTboogie said:
after he got shot

Also showed the scene w/Schafer at the mountain village, the whole first part of Tibet up to where Drake meets up with Chloe...

I think comparing Resident Evil to Uncharted is a bit dumb. Both games are pretty different. Re4's gameplay is all about the tension and being focused in your aiming to battle that tension. I think the game is pretty perfect and pretty much one of the best games ever made.

Uncharted is more about using a cover system in order to dig in and survive. I don't think there is a lot of style or satisfaction in it's combat. It's pretty average and solid though. Some stealth elements are a nice touch and encounters were a lot better in 2 compared to 1, but as a whole it is not a game that stays with me, unlike RE4. It's a summer blockbuster and doesn't really have substance.

Kusagari

J-Rzez said:
Uncharted has it's identity, it's a summer blockbuster Indiana Jones experience. It does puzzles well enough, it has enough platforming to make it satisfying, it's firefights are intense, the brawling is a fun alternative at times, it's acting/story telling is unmatched, and it's visuals are the gold standard for console games. It does everything "good" to "top of the line", and has no real "poor" qualities. That's why Uncharted 2 won what maybe the most awards any game ever has by the players, reviewers, and developers themselves. It's an example of the quality expected out of an AAA game. And Uncharted 3 I'm sure is about to raise the bar higher yet again.

Can't believe how incredible it looks, and can't wait to be playing that sucker in 3D which is "shock", supposedly the best implementation of it in anything to date.

This describes Uncharted perfectly to me. It feels so 'manufactured' that it turns me off. Everything in it is good, but I'd argue nothing except the graphics and voice acting is top notch. Uncharted's combat is nothing special to me. It's good, great even but nothing about it feels memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom