• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
perineumlick said:
What's different now? What game in U2's genre has come along that has raised the bar further? It still stands up 2 years later imo, and I just don't agree with scoring U3 lower just because it's new; if it's better, then it's score should reflect that. If Batman AC can get 10's
for it being better than it's predecessor, then U3 should get the same treatment, if warranted.

I wasn't really talking about U3 but yea after 2 years of playing U2 my score would be lower if I had to review it today, not saying it doesn't hold up to the competition but I am in the camp that actually enjoyed Drake's fortune's story better then Among Thieves, that alone would lower my grade(92 on my scale) and that final Boss >_>...

It doesn't really matter though as I didn't buy the game because of reviews, I enjoyed it and I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy U3 so no worries here.

Gvaz

Banned
Mpl90 said:
No game will ever beat the 11/10 given to Galaxy by the Italian Official Nintendo Magazine.
NO GAME.
...9.9 is ridiculous as well, however :lol
Galaxy, a nintendo game getting an 11/10 score from a nintendo mag. hrm.

IMO the only 5/5 games I've ever played were probably Xenoblade and Ogre Battle 64.

Uncharted I'm gonna get to eventually so a 9.9/10 from a first review seems fishy.

Gvaz said:
Galaxy, a nintendo game getting an 11/10 score from a nintendo mag. hrm.

IMO the only 5/5 games I've ever played were probably Xenoblade and Ogre Battle 64.

Uncharted I'm gonna get to eventually so a 9.9/10 from a first review seems fishy.

Didn't U2 get a 21/20?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Pranay_ said:
OPM Spain - 9.8

Edit - Shall i create a new thread for uncharted 3 review ? will update the scores in the op
Not now. Wait, wait a little bit till the embargo is up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
madmaxx350 said:
I wasn't really talking about U3 but yea after 2 years of playing U2 my score would be lower if I had to review it today, not saying it doesn't hold up to the competition but I am in the camp that actually enjoyed Drake's fortune's story better then Among Thieves, that alone would lower my grade(92 on my scale) and that final Boss >_>...

It doesn't really matter though as I didn't buy the game because of reviews, I enjoyed it and I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy U3 so no worries here.
At least U2 featured a boss (frustrating as it could be). The original just stuck you with a lengthy QTE sequence and called it a day.

Kusagari

Pranay_ said:
Dude your trolling for quite a while now

Actually I'm being kind of serious with this one. I think for a 9.9, 9.8 that Uncharted 3 should offer something new. Which I don't think it will. Every other major series like Gears, Halo, etc has had the sequels at most get a 9.0/9.5. I don't think a sequel, even if it is better, should get scores like U3 is getting if it changes nothing.

dark10x said:
At least U2 featured a boss (frustrating as it could be). The original just stuck you with a lengthy QTE sequence and called it a day.

That wasn't a qte. It was the crushing blow combo used throughout the game, just presented differently.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kusagari said:
Actually I'm being kind of serious with this one. I think for a 9.9, 9.8 that Uncharted 3 should offer something new. Which I don't think it will. Every other major series like Gears, Halo, etc has had the sequels at most get a 9.0/9.5. I don't think a sequel, even if it is better, should get scores like U3 is getting if it changes nothing.
Do you really think reviews should attempt to be that systematic? I don't think it's fair to immediately lower a score simply because the game in question is a sequel.

Dragon

Banned
Kusagari said:

That's your own personal opinion about review scores. Some people feel otherwise. In my opinion, for instance, review scores mean nothing to legitimate fans of video games. Almost anyone on GAF knows what's the same/different about Uncharted 3 if they've followed the game.

Let's see how the game plays when it comes out, I hope you're wrong, I hope there is less of "shootout -> plot exposition -> move to new location -> repeat" like Gears 3 was,

Pranay

Kusagari said:

Why do you think it doesnt offer anything new ? and if it has better puzzles, better sp campaign, better story, better exploration, shouldnt it get better scores ?

Kusagari said:

I'd say offline Co-op is new.
Then I'd also say horse riding, fighting your way off of a sinking ship, trying to survive falling out of a crashing plane, fighting your way through a burning chateau and the
post single player secret mode
are something new.

Uncharted 3 is doing a lot more things than some series do in their entirety.

Mrbob

Kusagari said:
Hopefully the major sites give it the scores it deserves and not these ridiculous numbers.

No doubt. I'm sure the biggest problem Uncharted 3 has is the game is too good.

Pranay

Galvanise_ said:
Then I'd also say horse riding, fighting your way off of a sinking ship, trying to survive falling out of a crashing plane, fighting your way through a burning chateau and the
post single player secret mode
are something new.

Uncharted 3 is doing a lot more things than some series do in their entirety.

They have improved the melee system as well

mp has loads of features, even though it needs a tweaking

Dragon said:
Almost anyone on GAF knows what's the same/different about Uncharted 3 if they've followed the game.

I haven't followed the game, care to sum it up for me and others like me in a sentence or two? Key changes?

E: Meh..... stuff from trailer's?

Galvanise_ said:
Then I'd also say horse riding, fighting your way off of a sinking ship, trying to survive falling out of a crashing plane, fighting your way through a burning chateau
I'd say your crazy. Offline co-op, really? What year is this? What a stretch. Wow.

And I'd say changing the setting isn't adding anything new to anything but the setting. Because if that were the case, just about every single sequel on this planet would be super fresh and innovative. And standards for innovation in gaming would be even lower than they are now, which is plenty low.

squidyj

Kusagari said:

Reviews should be attempting to encapsulate the feeling of playing the game, scores are unfortunate but insofar as they exist should carry through this philosophy.

Majmun

Kusagari said:

Getting better is a change.

satriales

Mr. B Natural said:
And I'd say changing the setting isn't adding anything new to anything but the setting. Because if that were the case, just about every single sequel on this planet would be super fresh and innovative. And standards for innovation in gaming would be even lower than they are now, which is plenty low.
This time they've got entire levels that are physics objects. For a game with lots of platforming that's a pretty big deal.

Pranay

scorpscarx said:
I haven't followed the game, care to sum it up for me and others like me in a sentence or two? Key changes?

Thanks in advance

Improved Melee system, like you can do tons of stuff, and have more ways in killing the enimes. You can use objects to fight as well

check out ign desert gameplay video
ibhRsu847Vmj2N.gif

ib08UGU8qEeh5Q.gif

Better Strealth
Better puzzles rather then the straight forward ones
More exploration
New Co OP mode

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It should get a lot of good scores, that's for certain. I'm really interested to see the cool stuff ND has added in the campaign. I don't want to watch that new trailer though. :(

Kusagari said:
You're talking like you've already played the game.

satriales said:
This time they've got entire levels that are physics objects. For a game with lots of platforming that's a pretty big deal.

So your telling me sections from the trailer's such as the boat and plane aren't completely scripted but are instead based on physics sandbox and therefore change every time you play them and move on their own in the air/ water?

Also thanks Pranay looks sweet.

Mr. B Natural said:
I'd say your crazy. Offline co-op, really? What year is this? What a stretch. Wow.

Okay then, what would YOU have done for Uncharted 3 that wouldn't have fucked up the excellent single player and built upon the multiplayer? What NEW things would you have done? Uncharted pretty much already does everything I'd want from the franchise.

You have 18 months and 90 people. Some of whom are multiplayer focused.

Mostly all I want from Uncharted is a fucking awesome adventure with some twists, puzzles and beautiful places to visit. If an Uncharted game does all of that and improves its tech, and builds on everything done previously then it deserves to score highly or better than its predecessor.

Pranay

scorpscarx said:
So your telling me sections from the trailer's such as the boat and plane aren't completely scripted but are instead based on physics sandbox and therefore change every time you play them and move on their own in the air/ water?

The AI is also not scripted like it was in uncharted 2, They have changed the AI system as well

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Duffyside said:
I think they mean "new" in terms of all gaming, not just for the series.

Silly as it is.
Whole levels being physics boxes in a game like this is pretty new in terms of gaming in general. In fact, other than the train in UC2 and Colossi in SotC, there's nothing else that I can think of, and those two examples are much more limited in scope.

scorpscarx said:
Yeah, I know for sure that the boat rocking is based on a physics based simulation, of the boat floating on simulated waves. Whether it changes every time I don't know, it would be a design decision they would have to make whether to include randomness or just run the same simulation every time you play.

Patapwn

Kusagari said:
Err, Uncharted 3 already has changed a great deal from Uncharted 2. And not just technically. I haven't played the single player, so I have no idea what's going on there (nor do you btw), but the MP /co-op, deathmatch etc. added alot from U2 which was already unique. Enough so that I think it qualifies as offering something 'new'

Kusagari

Patapwn said:
Err, Uncharted 3 already has changed a great deal from Uncharted 2. And not just technically. I haven't played the single player, so I have no idea what's going on there (nor do you btw), but the MP /co-op, deathmatch etc. added alot from U2 which was already unique. Enough so that I think it qualifies as offering something 'new'

Meh, those features should have been in U2 in the first place. I just think the Uncharted series gets a pass on GAF and in much of the gaming media that other series don't. Even 2, besides the MP, wasn't anywhere near as big a jump from U1 as people acted like.

Don't get me wrong though, U2 was one of my favorite games of 09. And I do plan on buying U3.

satriales

scorpscarx said:

The boat definitely is all physics based with a procedurally generated ocean. I'm not sure about the plane but from what I've seen at least one part looks like it uses physics objects. When they demo'd the boat level they said that later levels would be doing some crazy physics stuff, so there's probably a lot more of that which we haven't seen yet.

Pranay

Will post the details soon.

BTW This game is rated as the highest playstation game in ps2 era.

uc 2 was 9.7

where is thuway ? must be feeling better :p

Mpl90 said:
No game will ever beat the 11/10 given to Galaxy by the Italian Official Nintendo Magazine.
NO GAME.
...9.9 is ridiculous as well, however :lol

So Italian game magazines have the same approach to numbers as those in control of Italy's fiscal and monetary policies.

Kusagari said:
Meh, those features should have been in U2 in the first place. I just think the Uncharted series gets a pass on GAF and in much of the gaming media that other series don't. Even 2, besides the MP, wasn't anywhere near as big a jump from U1 as people acted like.
Like Gears and Halo don't? SMH.

Glassboy

Kusagari said:

Don't get me wrong though, U2 was one of my favorite games of 09. And I do plan on buying U3.
I thought U2 was a huge improvement over Uncharted. The combat, set pieces, acting were all vastly superior the original game. U2 is my favorite game this generation and top 5 all time.

Duffyside

Banned
tusken77 said:
This has to be one of THE sweetest moves ever in gaming.
Would be cooler if the guy wasn't knocked out from the punch, but instead staggered back holding his nose, and you could shottie him up close. Up-close shotguns are the best thing in gaming.

Pranay

Duffyside said:
Would be cooler if the guy wasn't knocked out from the punch, but instead staggered back holding his nose, and you could shottie him up close. Up-close shotguns are the best thing in gaming.

Nate is not a mass murderer

Patapwn

Kusagari said:

I understand your sediments but I've noticed a very different vibe on Gaf (or the internet and gaming journalism in general) when it comes to Uncharted. It's the only series which I've noticed gets heaps of hate for not reinventing the gaming wheel. I swear almost ever convo about the series escalates into this. It's annoying, and I think inherently hypocritical because absolutely ever game aside for a 'few' (I can even name them) in the past 4 or so years is 'guilty' of this. And I put an emphasis on guilty because it's connotations with being bad don't and shouldn't apply.

Patapwn

Pranay_ said:
Will post the details soon.

BTW This game is rated as the highest playstation game in ps2 era.

uc 2 was 9.7

where is thuway ? must be feeling better :p

What's their highest rated game? (how many got 10s)?

Kusagari said:

It actually was. The amount of physics, light-sources, particles, DOF and overall scope of the game increased 10 fold. Rather you can appreciate it or not is a different question . But facts are facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom