• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I like the oddity system since it encourages exploration instead of quests and combat but that's just me.

bati

Even for heavy combat based builds? I plan on killing everything and using lock picking a lot

Yes. It effectively stretches the fun factor for exploration to the entire game. And you still find plenty of oddities on dead enemies so it's worth killing them. Not to mention the resources they drop :).

Moff

so, I played 11 hours Underrail yesterday, I don't know when that happened for the last time, if ever in a singleplayer game.

Looking back, the game had some kind of a weak start.
I don't know why many developers make the mistake to have unappealing early game missions/levels.
but yeah, killing tons of rats in ugly caves/cellars is not a good start to a game.

To my surprise the quest design and also the writing/dialogues/character design got a lot better during the course of the game. I have seen tons of memorable stuff by now. I originally expected this game would only deliver mechanics wise, but it seems to excel at everything.

everyone who is fond of oldschool RPGs like Deus Ex, System Shock, Ultima Underworld or Fallout should give this a try. This actually might end up becoming one of my favourite RPGs ever, that's how much I love it.
I just had to edit my GOTY list and put it above Pillars of Eternity.

bati

Ho ho ho. I just unlocked the Commando perk.

HqCh5lc.jpg

It's pretty crazy just how many different playstyles this game enables. I thought stealth would be king in terms of fun but as it turns out stomping enemies with metal boots and machinegun is equally if not even more fun.

I make BoS look like pussies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Want to write a lot about this game but I'll just play it instead. The best thing about it so far is its difficulty curve and oddity mechanic. So many ways to exploit every situation.

subversus

this junkyard business is fucking ridiculous. It just keeps going and going like Noveria quest in ME1. I mean this as a compliment. I'm 24 hours into the game and it seems like only a beginning.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've been wandering around Core City for like 6 hours, I think it might be bigger then Athkatla.

Moff

question considering factions
is there a point of no return? can you even join them? I just "joined" the protectorate but I don't feel I like them that much. have I locked myself out of joining others now?
I don't want another core city situation in the endgame, where I accidentaly joined coretech because it was closest to the elevator and could no longer do any missions for the other 2 core city factions.

and damn, that reveal of the oculi blew my mind, I knew that abram guy would have interesting stuff.

Man, I love this game so far but I have to call foul on one thing.

Very very early spoilers:
So you're told to go find Newton, and then clear his path of psi beetles. I decided to play as a stealth crossbow guy, and I really can't take these things toe to toe, having actually stealthed all the way to him without killing a beetle. But okay. I end up killing one beetle with a barrel, and then leading the the other two in the building into the room with the door and trapping them in there. I clear the path outside, and tell him to run.

Of course, Newton somehow finds a way to let out and to die to the two that are trapped. BLEH.

I really wish they would take into account my method.

bati

Did you take Aimed shot as your starting perk? It's a must have on any crossbow build and will make short work of those beetles, you just have to wait for them to expose their brain before you use it.

Did you take Aimed shot as your starting perk? It's a must have on any crossbow build and will make short work of those beetles, you just have to wait for them to expose their brain before you use it.

I did take that perk. When do they expose their brain? I've tried getting close and cornering them but they've always just run around me.

The AI is starting to piss me off. The guys I'm supposed to help are beyond stupid. They'd rather run around in circles than shoot the guy right in front of them.

question considering factions
is there a point of no return? can you even join them? I just "joined" the protectorate but I don't feel I like them that much. have I locked myself out of joining others now?

You only locked yourself out of joining their rival faction: the free drones.

subversus

I have TNT now so the question is - is it worth it to blow up every rock wall in caverns or it may lead to some empty caves with generic loot ? (like some containers I hack in excitement only to find some cheap common POS)

Regarding the faceless and the end-game:

I read on the steam forum that you have to kill buzzer for the faceless to become friendly to you, and basically get a lot of answers about the lore from them. It's kind of bullshit as I chose the diplomatic approach with buzzer, saved their guy in core city, and told them everything I knew about their cube near the foundry and later near the university.

bati

SMGs are beast mode. I decided to retire my commando character after I saw someone on another forum praising SMGs and I'm really glad I made the switch. High initiative, high mobility, many shots per turn, it's such a nice and fast playstyle. I also got stealth and throwing (both backed up by feats) and the devastation you can cause with these tools is simply amazing. The build is also quite feat rich so I'll be able to take a few quality of life feats (I'm only lvl 16 at the moment). Skill points are also quite plentiful, I've got 3 crafting skills at 110 effective already (with 9 levels to go!) and fourth at 60. I've also been able to sneak in some evasion points which makes a massive difference in mid game. Very helpful on a 3 CON character.

Sinatar

I don't think anything beats unarmed + psychokinesis.

I've been playing RPG's my entire life, and I've never felt this overpowered before. It's pretty hilarious. I did the infamous Coretech warehouse defense mission last night and literally sat in the entranceway and vaporized everyone that walked in, didn't even have to pop a med hypo.

I'm basically Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.

tumblr_n2qe0pZG0u1r21i5xo1_400.gif

Moff

the level cap is 25? not 20?
I am wondering what the top is for some skills
combat skills, do they always get stronger? like guns or the psi skills. or is it no longer worth it at higher levels?

and there must be a point where lockpicking/hacking and persuasion are no longer viable.
I am effectice level 125 hacking now because I have 10 int and my guess is there is no hacking requirement above 120.

I stopped putting points in guns because I notices I don't use it anymore, psi is very strong by now, I also found dozens of spells.

so I started putting points into stealth because I think this is a very stealth friendly game, but I don't know if I can get it to a decent level until I reach the cap or finish the game

bati

Combat skills should always be maxed out. Stuff like lockpicking, hacking, social and crafting skills are good a ~120-130 effective.

I don't think anything beats unarmed + psychokinesis.

I've been playing RPG's my entire life, and I've never felt this overpowered before. It's pretty hilarious. I did the infamous Coretech warehouse defense mission last night and literally sat in the entranceway and vaporized everyone that walked in, didn't even have to pop a med hypo.

I'm basically Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.

tumblr_n2qe0pZG0u1r21i5xo1_400.gif

Can you post your build? I have one I've been working on but I'd like to compare notes, so to speak.

Sinatar

I'm at work, but off the top of my head I think I went:

STR 3
DEX 10
AGI 5
CON 4
INT 5
PER 3
WIL 10

It might be AGI 7, I can't remember if there was enough points for that.

Skills:
Melee 5 per level
Dodge 5 per level
Evade 5 per level
Psychokinesis 5 per level
Hacking 5 per level
Lockpicking 5 per level
Mechanics 3 per level
Electronics 2 per level
Chemistry 2 per level
Tailoring 3 per level

subversus

Are dodge and evade that important? I have a very similar build except it's stealth focused so DEX is 3 and agility is 10. I also was going to put some points in mechanics, right now it's zero.

Sinatar

Are dodge and evade that important? I have a very similar build except it's stealth focused so DEX is 3 and agility is 10. I also was going to put some points in mechanics, right now it's zero.

I'm light armor, so yea dodge and evade are important. If you're using fist weapons dexterity is life, it's 10 or nothing.

bati

They certainly help. But they also cap out at 65% chance to dodge/evade. It's calculated from your dodge/evasion skill vs enemy's ranged or melee skill.

@Sinatar: the feats, yo!

subversus

They certainly help. But they also cap out at 65% chance to dodge/evade. It's calculated from your dodge/evasion skill vs enemy's ranged or melee skill.

So what dodge and evade I need to feel myself comfortably in the later game?

Also will I be able myself through this warehouse section? So far my combat goes like this:
I use adrenaline, stun most dangerous enemies, AOE others if possible, withstand a first attack, use hypos, stun more people, use a grenade if needed and if somebody still stands after 2 turns, I try to retreat.

Moff

as a full psi character with 0 dodge, evade and little constitution, the warehouse mission was quite a challenge for me.
I googled a bit and I read it was a Level 20 Mission? but I don't see enemy levels, maybe that was a feature in beta.
someone even called it optional endgame content, but I don't know if that is true, I needed it to complete the main storyline. but maybe there are other ways, arena I think.

anyway I did it at level 13 with a lot of crowd control. the PSI force field helped a lot, with that you can create chokes and kill them one by one. still took a few tries and hypos on cooldown.

no matter how hard it was for you, thoug, it's easily the hardest encounter in the game so far, simply because of how many enemies are thrown at you.

Sinatar

- Expertise: A nice little damage boost that scales with your level, it's nice with unarmed since you attack so many times per turn.
- Nimble: Allows me to wear some light armor while maintaining my dodge/evade and mobility.
- Opportunist: A key talent in my build, gives a 25% damage bonus against stunned enemies, which psychokinesis specializes in.
- Dirty Kick: Again stunning is big and gives me another way to trigger opportunist.
- Lightning Punches: Another key talent, the lower you can get your AP for punching the better and this reduces it by 2.
- Deflection: A nice defensive talent for unarmed users
- Cheap Shots: This is a pretty big damage boost both from the crit bonus and from incapacitate triggering opportunist (though at 15% instead of the full 25% from a stun).
- Combo: Huge damage and more stunning.

Those are the combat ones, I've taken the tailoring and mechanics feats as well.

bati

Pretty standard stuff, I thought you might have taken some psi perks. Personally I'd ditch Dirty Kick though, seems redundant with Combo (and Cheap Shots to some degree).

subversus

Well, for now I'm trying to be focused on stealth but my low perception really hurts me sometimes. Stealth enemies, traps, etc aren't always spotted even with special goggles. Also no dodge and evade means if somebody goes for me I take it all. So if I start combat 1)I should initiate it 2)I should end it quick thus maximize my damage. I'm pure psi, so no melee.

Man, I love this game so far but I have to call foul on one thing.

Very very early spoilers:
So you're told to go find Newton, and then clear his path of psi beetles. I decided to play as a stealth crossbow guy, and I really can't take these things toe to toe, having actually stealthed all the way to him without killing a beetle. But okay. I end up killing one beetle with a barrel, and then leading the the other two in the building into the room with the door and trapping them in there. I clear the path outside, and tell him to run.

Of course, Newton somehow finds a way to let out and to die to the two that are trapped. BLEH.

I really wish they would take into account my method.

You play Underrail, same build as my guy, and you like On Cinema. We're best friends.

subversus

I have found out that I need to activate goggles and the shield manually. Now I'm invincible. Well, almost.

Moff

My list of things I figured out way too late:
1. You can find psi spells as items, I probably sold the ones I found in the first 4 hours because I thought they were crafting material
2. there is a very strong synergy between the base attributes and skills, which makes it a lot easier to level some skills and very hard to level others (8 hours into the game)
4. Shields need to be activated (15 hours into the game)
5. There is a second action bar if you hold shift (20+ hours into the game)

My list of things I figured out way too late:
1. You can find psi spells as items, I probably sold the ones I found in the first 4 hours because I thought they were crafting material
2. there is a very strong synergy between the base attributes and skills, which makes it a lot easier to level some skills and very hard to level others (8 hours into the game)
4. Shields need to be activated (15 hours into the game)
5. There is a second action bar if you hold shift (20+ hours into the game)

There is a third action bar if you hold down ctrl.

akira28

no idea what to even use the action bars for. all I seem to be able to do with it is dump all the bullets out of my gun.

Moff

no idea what to even use the action bars for. all I seem to be able to do with it is dump all the bullets out of my gun.
if you don't use psi spells you can still use it for hypos, bandages, hacking, lockpicking and the omnitool. that's at least 7 Slots

and good to know there's a ctrl bar, too. I don't think I need any more, though

Carcetti

I wasn't a huge fan of the graphics and what I heard about the writing put me off so I was negative early in the thread. Then I tried the game and turned out it was the right call. Had so much fun with it. Pure psi build with persuasion and hacking, almost no weapon use, and having the time of my life. Crowd controlling stuff and chaining comboable abilities reminds me of D: OS.

Some of these fights, though. Argh, argh.
(Coretech warehouse, Institute Elevator until I figured it's pretty much unbeatable, Tchortlings in general)

Those mushroom monsters in the deep caves are really tough and I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do there.

Kill the pulsating thing(s) I suppose?

This area is starting to test my patience. Is there a good walkthrough somewhere?

I'm in the room with the repair robot and the door panel. The manual that lists the items you need to repair the door should be close right?

Regarding the faceless:

I finally faced their commander and ofc for not killing freakin buzzer he wouldn't answer any of my questions. This is such bullshit. Because of one wrong choice (that at that time you have no way of guessing is a wrong one) you are completely left in the dark about very big piece of the game's story and lore. This is just bad design. Is there any way to read the dialogues in the game from the files or something?
Also note that if you visited the Tchortists base prior to the meeting and had a friendly chat with the commander over there. The faceless will turn immediately hostile after reading your mind.

Sinatar

Fuck the Deep Caverns in the ear.

Keeping this area out of the early access to ensure folks had something new to explore in the full release was probably not the right call, some feedback was definitely needed here.

Moff

Regarding the faceless:

I finally faced their commander and ofc for not killing freakin buzzer he wouldn't answer any of my questions. This is such bullshit. Because of one wrong choice (that at that time you have no way of guessing is a wrong one) you are completely left in the dark about very big piece of the game's story and lore. This is just bad design. Is there any way to read the dialogues in the game from the files or something?
Also note that if you visited the Tchortists base prior to the meeting and had a friendly chat with the commander over there. The faceless will turn immediately hostile after reading your mind.
there is a thread about this on the official message board, styg said it's a bug. but no answer when and if it even can be fixed retroactively.
honestly this discouraged me from finishing it, especially since the deep cavers are no fun at all anyway.

Sinatar

Well I hit the level cap are there are still tons of gaps in my oddities, in case folks were wondering about what kind of leeway was available in that system.

23989923520_b198c09ed8_o.png

bati

Interested in playing this but also have never played Fallout 1,2, or Tactics.
What one do you guys suggest?

Play all of them (well, you could skip Tactics) but maybe start with UnderRail, some of the modern approaches to game design really help with getting into it.

Top Bottom