• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

NEO0MJ

Currently just passed the waterfalls area (by the Snail Farm and Snail Racing) so dont know how far I am in.

Loving it so far, but early on I killed a creature as no matter what I did it wouldn't let me spare it. If I go back to the start and not kill anything will I get a different ending? Trying to judge how many times I need to complete the game.

Also Sans and his brother are the best

There's a way to avoid killing every enemy in the game, but some require certain actions to be done before that's possible.

I would rather see him doing a new game instead. Undertale is as perfect as it is, better leave it alone.

I believe there are stretch goals on the kickstarter that he hasn't done yet, one of them is a comic. Not sure if that is backers only or what, not that it would stay that way very long if it were...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Believe he already started the "Game shrouded in mystery" that was a goal in the Undertale kicker starter. So maybe that's next but I imagine the comic will come first.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
"Shop" is like the best shop music I've ever heard. It's just so warm and fuzzy.

Still mesmerized by the soundtrack.

Via the game vinyl thread, iam8bit is releasing a vinyl of the Undertale OST, $35.

CqzNlPKVUAEACg1.jpg:small

I like that the inside artwork has Gaster.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I seriously wonder what toby fox is up to now. Dude went from zero to a freaking superstar

I'm pretty sure he was testing to see if Undertale could run on Linux. And I figure he'll get to doing that comic and 'game shrouded in mystery' eventually now that he's had a year to break from working on the game and see response to the game over the year.

On one hand, he probably has enough money to live it easy for quite some time if he wanted to and used it wisely. Like even using safe estimates, he has earned at least over $10 million USD from Undertale, if not a few more million than that. On the other hand, I do sense he's a creative type and has ambitions outside of money he wants to achieve. Now that he could potentially be set for life (if he uses the money wisely), once he does the few Kickstarter reward responsibilities he's basically free to do whatever he wants development wise. No matter what he worked on, it's going to be the second game by the developer of Undertale and gain a lot of exposure on that alone, and even if it wasn't a smash-out hit he'd still be able to get by. But I do think he wants to make more and now maybe is more relaxed in his vision of whatever he chooses to do going forward since he doesn't have to worry as much about A.) people liking a thing he's made, and B.) financial concerns for the forseeable future. On the other hand, he might be really contemplating over it since... Well, he has to follow up the smash-out success of Undertale.

But I do think he's probably working on a few small things to wrap up Undertale's success and the Kickstarter rewards, and if possible to port it over to Linux. and then after that, he strikes me as a type who'll want to make another game rather than just sitting on the one successful game he made. The creators spirit is never satisfied with just one success.

Dreweyes

Hey folks! Thanks so much for picking up the vinyl! I am so honored that I got to create the concepts & artwork for this epic soundtrack! Can't wait to have this playing on repeat on my turntable! Cheers! :D ♥

Saikyo

Toby posted some unused or alternate tracks of the game on tumblr

http://undertale.tumblr.com/

Also it seems there was a feature to show how long you played the game and if you completed it quickly...

csrvayvxeaaoq21zepn6.jpg

(he posted this on twitter)

The anniversary for the launch of the game is gonna be on 15 september, its weird...

Toby posted some unused or alternate tracks of the game on tumblr

http://undertale.tumblr.com/

Also it seems there was a feature to show how long you played the game and if you completed it quickly...

csrvayvxeaaoq21zepn6.jpg

(he posted this on twitter)

The anniversary for the launch of the game is gonna be on 15 september, its weird...

Oh jeez toby put that away noone needs to see that

Because the anniversary is two days away, I’ll post the music that was unused in the game. (Somehow, it wasn’t very much.)

This is an early unfinished version of Alphys’ lab. It sounded too similar to a certain lab song from another game, so I scrapped it. While I think the new one fits Alphys more, the last part of this one is actually pretty cool.

Which one do you think he means

hateradio

Anyone listen to the excellent remix album from Japan? Toby posted it on his Twitter and it is absolutely fantastic:

http://underveil.unisphere.tv/

Can't really pick a favourite track, they're all great. There's an excellent Bonetrousle remix
The page's not loading for me, but you can just play the songs on SoundCloud.

https://soundcloud.com/ut_underveil/sets/underveil

There's also a download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1cymy8nicqbm5i2/[UNSP-1001]UNDERVEIL.zip

Davey Cakes

Figured I'd just post in here instead of making an Lttp thread.

Anyway, after taking the route of sparing every monster possible, today I beat the game with the ending where
Asriel becomes good again, breaks the barrier, and all the monsters are set free. It's like Earthbound where you can walk around and talk to everyone before leaving the underground.

I take it this is the best "happy" ending? Of course, it was more like a bunch of endings. Heh. Imagine if you stopped the first time the game
turns itself off
, that'd be pretty dark.

In any case, the experience was really wonderful. As a fan of games like Mother 3, it's no surprise that I'd feel right at home here.

Davey Cakes

Well I know there's an ending for when you fight instead of spare. I just don't think I'm ready to replay the game yet.

Guess you could say I'm saving that one.

PSqueak

Banned
Figured I'd just post in here instead of making an Lttp thread.

Anyway, after taking the route of sparing every monster possible, today I beat the game with the ending where
Asriel becomes good again, breaks the barrier, and all the monsters are set free. It's like Earthbound where you can walk around and talk to everyone before leaving the underground.

I take it this is the best "happy" ending? Of course, it was more like a bunch of endings. Heh. Imagine if you stopped the first time the game
turns itself off
, that'd be pretty dark.

In any case, the experience was really wonderful. As a fan of games like Mother 3, it's no surprise that I'd feel right at home here.

There are in the greater scheme of things 3 endings, you got the pacifist one, the neutral ending has about 12 variants depending if you kill and who you kill.

Some are dark, some are funny and some are disturbing.

Davey Cakes

Even with the pacifist ending, there were plenty of disturbing parts. Mostly involving Flowey. If they go further than that then, man, this game really knows how to mess with your emotions. I'm looking forward to a replay.

Also, just to be clear, I still technically
had to kill Toriel in the beginning and attempt to kill Asgore at the "end" right? There were no other options?
Seemed like the game did that as a way of forcing the player's hand.

Some of what the game does when it "remembers that you loaded a save" is interesting, to say the least.

You didn't have to kill
Toriel
Ah okay. I guess I was still getting my bearings on the mechanics at that point. Since that action opens up a new dialogue in the battle, I figured it was necessary to proceed (to show what the player was capable of).

It was funny when Flowey shook his finger at me after the reload. "I saw that." Heh. But I'm glad I stuck with pacifism.

mbpm1

Even with the pacifist ending, there were plenty of disturbing parts. Mostly involving Flowey. If they go further than that then, man, this game really knows how to mess with your emotions. I'm looking forward to a replay.

Also, just to be clear, I still technically
had to kill Toriel in the beginning and attempt to kill Asgore at the "end" right? There were no other options?
Seemed like the game did that as a way of forcing the player's hand.

Some of what the game does when it "remembers that you loaded a save" is interesting, to say the least.

You didn't have to kill
Toriel

Davey Cakes

Bumping this thread one more time.

After looking into it I'm pretty sure I got the neutral ending and the pacifist ending in a single run. The neutral ending boss is
Flowey's fucked up demon form
and the pacifist ending boss is
Asriel
. After completing the former, you get to reload and go for the latter as well.
Flowey
straight up tells you to. Unless I'm missing something. That's just the way the game is designed if you're going for the "true pacifist" ending on the first run, and I'm thankful for it.

So, I guess for new players a little tip is, if you want to go for true pacifism, you can kill two birds with one stone and get 2/3 of the endings.

Also, I never chimed in on the soundtrack. It's GREAT! But I do find it hilarious how much of the game's sounds and tunes are inspired by or almost ripped directly from Earthbound.

Yeah, it's impossible to get Pacifist as your first ending. You can't
befriend Alphys and do the True Lab
until after you've seen the Neutral Ending at least once.

If you've stayed Pacifist otherwise, you're able to reload your save and do the above instead of having to start over the entire game.
Yep. And it's not even a matter of looking up a walkthrough. The game itself encourages you to go for the better ending if you've met the requirements. I LOVE that. Kudos to Toby.

Puruzi

Banned
Bumping this thread one more time.

After looking into it I'm pretty sure I got the neutral ending and the pacifist ending in a single run. The neutral ending boss is
Flowey's fucked up demon form
and the pacifist ending boss is
Asriel
. After completing the former, you get to reload and go for the latter as well. Unless I'm missing something. That's just the way the game is designed if you're going for the "true pacifist" ending on the first run, and I'm thankful for it.

So, I guess for new players a little tip is, if you want to go for true pacifism, you can kill two birds with one stone and get 2/3 of the endings.

Also, I never chimed in on the soundtrack. It's GREAT! But I do find it hilarious how much of the game's sounds and tunes are inspired by or almost straight up ripped from Earthbound.
Yeah, I did that too. Was surprised people didn't know about that when I posted about it here.

Claris

Yeah, it's impossible to get Pacifist as your first ending. You can't
befriend Alphys and do the True Lab
until after you've seen the Neutral Ending at least once.

If you've stayed Pacifist otherwise, you're able to reload your save and do the above instead of having to start over the entire game.

PSqueak

Banned

Technically speaking, pacifist neutral and pacifist true are not 2/3 of the endings given that there are about 8 or so more neutral endings.

hateradio

temi1bls67.jpg

Tem no u wann it

Also what is that Bonetrousle remix

Oh my god there are new shirts on Fangamer since I last looked MUST RESIST
I can certainly restrain myself from the new shirts. I think so far the one I want is Papyrus.

However, I don't think I can resist the new series. 😥

moniker

I've played up until the Undyne fight and I'm not enjoying this at all (except the music). I'm guessing it doesn't really get much different further along? If not, I should probably stop now.

robotrock

Banned
I've played up until the Undyne fight and I'm not enjoying this at all (except the music). I'm guessing it doesn't really get much different further along? If not, I should probably stop now.

I want to say I started enjoying it after the Undyne fight, no joke. I would give it another hour after that but if it's still not doing anything for you, feel free to dump it.

Top Bottom