• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity Closes Offices Following Death Threat

Draugoth

Gold Member
Unity-2.jpg

Unity Technologies Inc. cancelled a planned town hall and closed two offices Thursday after receiving what it said was a credible death threat in the wake of a controversial pricing decision earlier this week.

The company was “made aware of a potential threat to some of our offices" and has "taken immediate and proactive measures to ensure the safety of our employees,” a spokesperson said in a statement. Unity is closing offices that could be potential targets on Thursday and Friday, and is “fully cooperating with law enforcement.”

Unity, the maker of tools and technology for video games, set off a firestorm on Sept. 12 by announcing it will begin charging developers a new fee for games made using its software, called the Unity Engine. Beginning Jan. 1, makers of Unity games will have to pay per user installation after a certain threshold is reached.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well, yeah. Their new licencing plan has the potential to end studios - you fuck with peoples lives, don't be surprised when they fuck with yours.

Given the universal backlash, I imagine we're witnessing the beginning of the end for Unity.

blacktout

Knowing gamers, probably not. But it would be an easy way out

This is where I'm at.

On the one hand, this is a great excuse to buy some extra time to try to cook up a strategy to spin the PR disaster.

On the other, gamers do love to send death threats.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
This company made a bad/stupid decision, but people who make death threats is a very special sort of stupid that I hope never amounts to anything in life.

gothmog

Gold Member
I could see it. Developers weren't exactly mincing words reacting to these changes. Not justifying it but corporate greed is frustrating.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Look, this is something I don't support, but this is not the same than sending death threats to the voice actor/actress of a game character over in-game events or some stupid shit like that, they're literally messing with people's income, we don't know how hard of a situation they may be in. While I don't support it, at least can try and sympathize with the affected

Last edited:

Crayon

idk man death threats don't seem very deadly these days.

I know an office that got on permanent security lockdown because someone who worked there did something dumb, got on the news, and then the office got a bunch of death threats. That shit blew over in a month and you still have to take the elevator to an adjacent floor and call the secretary to come get you.

StereoVsn

Yes, Unity management made bad decisions. However, death threats are stupid and self defeating. Death threats by gamers are idiotic and terrible, and it's the same for devs.

Fahdis

Lol, death threats to whom? Definitely not the employees. They probably sent an amalgamated distress email to the suits to knock it off or else 😂 "unity" in victimization.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
feels like a cop out so he wouldn't have to answer why he had sold shares days prior.

I know there's a reputation with deranged gamers doing dumb shit but this "tax" affects game devs, not the end user.
Its a BS answer.

At my company we've had protesters who have literally barged into the office as a group yelling their shit. Security kicked them out. We didnt think anything of it really. Just weird people. We went back to the office the next day as normal.

Fake

They made a fee for devs, but are gamers that send the death threats?

Don't make any sense to me. Sounds a little fish indeed, but again let the police take care of this.

Griffon

Don't fuck with people livelihood.

I have no sympathy for Unity here.
They act like mobsters by doing what is nothing more than racketeering, and are surprised by the results?!

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Leave it to the terminally online gamers to take things to the extreme.

I mean, yeah, Unity made a really dumb decision but come on, it's this kind of shit that makes me embarrassed to admit what I'm doing in my spare time at work, lol.
And what if it's devs that made the threat?

Griffon

Update:
officers responded to Unity’s San Francisco office “regarding a threats incident.” A “reporting party” told police that “an employee made a threat towards his employer using social media.” The employee that made the threat works in an office outside of California, according to the police statement.

So it had absolutely nothing to do with disgruntled indie devs/gamers.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Hopefully someone will buy them up when they go bankrupt.

#PagingSony, show you really love indies.

Last edited:
feels like a cop out so he wouldn't have to answer why he had sold shares days prior.

I know there's a reputation with deranged gamers doing dumb shit but this "tax" affects game devs, not the end user.
It probably will end up affecting the end user because prices will go up and monetisation will get more aggressive to cover the fees per user

Top Bottom