• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UniversoNintendo: Switch 2 hardware will feature 12 GB of RAM and raytracing. DLSS will be 3.1 instead of 3.5

GymWolf

I didn't wanted to be TOO brutal my dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You may want to edit that, some mods could find it...not optimal.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ok, so what does DLSS 3 even mean then, compared to 2? Nothing? Or there are improvements to the upscaling as well I guess?
SuperResolution and DLAA has been constantly updated.

You can look up comparison, im a bit too lazy to take some screenshots.
But replacing the DLL in your games and using DLSSTweaks will give you noticeable improvements.

Im guessing Nvidia just decided to drop the DLSS 2 numbering because DLSS3.x comes with the latest versions of SuperResolution and DLAA but doesnt necessarily have to have FrameGeneration active.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I didn't wanted to be TOO brutal my dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You may want to edit that, some mods could find it...not optimal.
Nah... so be it .. I used to be one .. bought the failed wii U ..and even then bought the switch ... played two mario games , hated the most overrated zelda of all time and retired the thing to my son who barely touches....is basically retro gaming at full fledged prices.. fuck this

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
2Ai8Qwh.jpg

quel ridicolo

Loxus

But assuming "Switch2" is coming out late 2024, why not to have DLSS 3.5 ? Or, maybe "Switch2" is much closer than we expect...we'll see.
It's as simple as DLSS 3.5 not being available to implement in to the Matrix demo at the time.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
But assuming "Switch2" is coming out late 2024, why not to have DLSS 3.5 ? Or, maybe "Switch2" is much closer than we expect...we'll see.
For a game console to come out in 2024 it has to have its main hardware set in 2022.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
6GB won't happen on the 128-bit bus on the T239 chip. The memory chips to make that happen don't exist to my knowledge (would require 24Gbit LPDDR5(X) modules which are 64-bit wide). It'll either be 8GB, 12GB or 16GB. A devkit can have 32GB no problem using 128Gbit chips.
How it can be 12GB on 128-bit bus? 4+4+2+2Gb seems unlikely. That's why I'm saying that 12gb is strange. However I'm sure it's not true.

Caio

For a game console to come out in 2024 it has to have its main hardware set in 2022.
Main specs yes, but Dev kits are a different story, they are not final retail hardware, so I was wondering why DLSS 3.5 couldn't be implemented in final hardware, assuming it is released at the end of 2024; just guessing.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I cant see it using RT or frame gen, RT is way too intensive to be used in any worthwhile capacity in a mobile device, and frame gen requires a 60fps base to work well.
I just see them using the dlss 2.2 or better resolution upscaling tech.

winjer

Gold Member
DLSS 3.5, including the RT upscaling, will be supported on all RTX generations. So the Switch 2 will eventually support DLSS3.5
But Frame Generation is only supported on Ada Lovelace.
So the question is does the Switch 2 use Ada Lovelace and support for FG?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Ok, so what does DLSS 3 even mean then, compared to 2? Nothing? Or there are improvements to the upscaling as well I guess?
Pretty sure older versions of DLSS had to be “trained” on certain games for it to work, while DLSS3 can just be implemented immediately a la the Starfield mods that just work by copying some dll files. But I could be wrong, not at all an expert here

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty sure older versions of DLSS had to be “trained” on certain games for it to work, while DLSS3 can just be implemented immediately a la the Starfield mods that just work by copying some dll files. But I could be wrong, not at all an expert here

Wasn't that only DLSS 1?

tkscz

Ray tracing on a PS4 hardware
tonight GIF
I think you misunderstand hardware. Whether it uses tegra Orin (Ampere based) or Tegra Thor (Lovelace based) the RT cores come with the chipset. When the previous rumor said PS4 level, it meant that more in how capable it is in terms of what can all be pulled off on screen at once. World size, polygon count, etc... Having newer hardware automatically comes with the ability to use newer features, techniques, lighting, and shaders, including Ray tracing (which I don't recommend on a handheld if you want to play for more than an hour). The PS4's hardware is from 2012-13, built in ray-tracing cores were just not a thing at the time. Orin's hardware is from 2020 and comes with ray tracing cores built into it, so of course anything using the hardware will support the feature.

That all being said, IF it really does support DLSS 3.0, then would it be safe to assume it will run off tegra Thor vs tegra Orin? Honestly I would hope so and not for the power but for how much battery it would save. 4nm process requires fewer watts per core than 7nm process, so we could get so much more out of Lovelace while using less battery. I have no doubt in my mind it would be underclocked in order to meet that 8-10watt usage but 8-10 watts would go much further on Lovelace than Ampere.

12gb means it'll have more RAM than the Series S. And that's if this rumor is correct vs Nintendo just going with the 16gb like that of Steam Deck and Legion Go.

I have no idea what MS was thinking with the design of that console. They went too conservative
Yes but it won't be GDDR6 like the Series S, it'll be low power DDR.

The amount of ram is an indication but in the end it means nothing without the speed.

Series S amount is not its problem, it's its ridiculous speed, I mean look at this shit :

Series X :Series S :
16GB - 10GB à 560GB/s et 6GB à 336 GB/s10GB - 8GB à 224GB/s et 2GB à 56GB/s
It's LPDDR, it's lower bandwidth with excellent latency and power efficiency while GDDR is high bandwidth, awful latency and has high power consumption. It's a tradeoff but this is a mobile device and LPDDR is what mobile devices use.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
More bullshit rumours. Why would Nintendo waste die space for Dlss 3 😂. Best we can hope is Dlss 2 if we are lucky.
If they believe that the best DLSS will allow them to develop games easier by tuning them to a low res and then maxing the screen then why wouldn't they trade die space ( console margins) for game dev cycle time (SW margins)?

nintendo's been training for a while on maximizing graphics on low-end hardware.

if they get DLSS + decent RT performance, they'll make games that look really special.

Astral Dog

6GB won't happen on the 128-bit bus on the T239 chip. The memory chips to make that happen don't exist to my knowledge (would require 24Gbit LPDDR5(X) modules which are 64-bit wide). It'll either be 8GB, 12GB or 16GB. A devkit can have 32GB no problem using 128Gbit chips.
6GB is practically impossible, it would be laughable worst case scenario

even Nintendo was never that cheap, when they design their consoles the RAM amount makes sense for the power budget they fit on, Wii still had more memory than an Xbox, 3DS had more than a PSP, Wii U had more than 360/PS3, Switch had a lot more than Wii U for what its capable of.

6GB would be an outlier, 16GB is overkill as well imo, for what the Switch 2 could realistically manage,i bet Nintendo will find a middle ground for the sake of third party, and Xbox Series S already has 'low' memory

Marvel14

Banned
DLSS 3.5, including the RT upscaling, will be supported on all RTX generations. So the Switch 2 will eventually support DLSS3.5
But Frame Generation is only supported on Ada Lovelace.
So the question is does the Switch 2 use Ada Lovelace and support for FG?
According to Nate the Hate (apparently a credible Nintendo rumour insider) for Super Switch we are looking at Asus ROG Ally level internals with DLSS3.5 with firmware updateable ray reconstruction minus frame generation with a bit more battery life.

Any techies out there know what this means compared to PS5/XSX? Suggests more capable than the Xbox Series S at least?

I don't see how this is possible given the ROG's $650 price point....yet another inflated opinion that will come crashing down later?

Edit: so apparently the Super Switch will have a more advanced feature set like DLSS3.5 and ray reconstruction than the competition but because the SoC is completely customised direct 1 to1 comparison with competitors won't be possible. Its no longer Teraflops Vs Teraflops . The unique feature set could mean it produces performance well above what it's GPU/CPU should be capable of. Memory bandwidth, RAM size , SSD speeds and size still important factors though I assume?

GymWolf GymWolf . The Switch was NOT a shitty under-powered tablet when it came out. It was the first mass market mobile device able to produce better than PS3/Xbox360 visuals in a handheld form factor. Don't confuse where it is now with where it started.

Last edited:

Mowcno

According to Nate the Hate (apparently a credible Nintendo rumour insider) for Super Switch we are looking at Asus ROG Ally level internals with DLSS3.5 minus frame generation with a bit more battery life.

Any techies out there know what this means compared to PS5/XSX? Suggests more capable than the Xbox Series S at least?

I don't see how this is possible given the ROG's $650 price point....yet another inflated opinion that will come crashing down later?
Haven't watched the video but if he is talking about raw power (and not just DLSS putting it up to or above the Ally) then it would be fairly similar to the Series S GPU in raw power. Which obviously means quite a bit behind PS5/XSX. I have my doubts Nintendo are going to put out a hybrid/handheld device with that much raw power but we will see. Switch GPU to Series S GPU is a bigger leap than PS4 to PS5.

Last edited:
Would be so nice if they'd release a screenless, non-mobile version of this console for the people who don't care about portability. Gets the price down, makes it more durable and valuable to collectors and retro gamers.

Woopah

According to Nate the Hate (apparently a credible Nintendo rumour insider) for Super Switch we are looking at Asus ROG Ally level internals with DLSS3.5 with firmware updateable ray reconstruction minus frame generation with a bit more battery life.

Edit: so apparently the Super Switch will have a more advanced feature set like DLSS3.5 and ray reconstruction than the competition but because the SoC is completely customised direct 1 to1 comparison with successors won't be possible. Its no longer Teraflops Vs Teraflops . The unique feature set could mean it produces performance well above what it's GPU/CPU should be capable of. Memory bandwidth, RAM size , SSD speeds and size still important factors though I assume?

GymWolf GymWolf . The Switch was NOT a shitty under-powered tablet when it came out. It was the first mass market mobile device able to produce better than PS3/Xbox360 visuals in a handheld form factor. Don't confuse where it is now with where it started.

Nate is just building on things we already know/expect. That Switch 2 will be between a PS4 and PS5 in raw power, but have better AI upscaling and ray tracing thanks to being Nvidia instead of AMD.

Top Bottom